Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Great fun!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Great fun!!! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great fun!!! - 1/5/2012 11:02:12 PM   
Rich Empire

It's great fun, I'm going to see it again!
Really enjoyed it, great performances and top action sequences perfect for the cinema. The gauntlet has been thrown down and it's engraving says "Whedon"...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 211
RE: Seen it and it's incredible! - 2/5/2012 2:39:46 AM   
Hood_Man

I liked it, probably give it something like 3-4/5. The airship sequence was far too long, it just wasn't that interesting a location to occupy so much time with, but it was otherwise a really enjoyable film.

Also, I get that it's an ensemble piece and that they were all going to be given plenty of screen time, but by being so fair and equal I thought it ended up with everyone involved being almost a guest star in their own film. I feel that there should still be one character who the story revolves around, even if it's only slightly more so than anyone else.

Saying that, I was pleased with the character development that was there. Thor was an important character on account of the main villain being his brother (I loved their scene on the mountain, reminding us that if not by blood but in spirit, Loki is his brother and he cares for him), Banner was treated well due his need to be introduced to audiences (or re-introduced as it were) with a wonderfully timid and mild mannered performance from Ruffalo, and Tony Stark seemed to have returned to his Iron Man 1 best.

However, I don't think all the characters were actually ready for an Avengers film yet. It's no surprise that the characters I identified with easiest were Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, Nick Fury, and Agent "Phil" Coulson, on account of them being the most established in the Marvel film universe. Captain America by comparison, I didn't give two hoots about. He's dashing, handsome, heroic, brave, super strong etc, but I really know nothing about him. He had a love interest in the first film who he'll never see again (presumably), he's from a different place in time and perhaps doesn't belong in the modern world, but apart from having a bit of a temper when working out I can't see how it's affected him.
To go back to my earlier point about ensembles, I would assume that Captain America being "The First Avenger" means he would be the first choice to lead the Avengers into battle, which I concede he did but, apart from him being called "Captain" America, and apart from him being a war hero, I don't know why he's the first choice. Why not Thor, ruler of his own kingdom and about to go to battle against his brother?
That's perhaps an unfair criticism since this film has a lot to get through, and it really should be up to other films to establish these guys, but I still think it suffers as a result and I really do believe that Captain America needed one more film before they made this one.

So just to remind everyone at this point, I did say I liked it

To go against the grain a bit my favourite part of this film was the first act. No time wasting, just straight into the story with a big bang (a huge bang even), re-introducing these beloved characters as quickly as it was effective. Captain America as the conflicted super soldier taking it out on gym equipment (I just wish he'd had more to do!), Thor flying in to take his misbehaving brother home (once again I loved that scene on the mountain between he and Loki), Stark being cool, Nick Fury being also cool, and I really enjoyed the Iron Man vs Thor fight too.

Lots of laughs, some witty one liners here and there, lots of fun. Not without its flaws but still one of the best blockbusters I've seen in a long time.

I might go and see it again tomorrow in fact

(You can probably tell I lost interest in writing the review not too long ago )

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 212
Successfully Renews faith and interest in the Marvel se... - 2/5/2012 9:48:28 AM   
trainedasninja

Strangely both revolutionary and generic, The Avengers Assemble is simply an awesome and enjoyable blockbuster. What would seem a difficult task of blending stand alone movie characters into one film is handled with ease and fun. A tough challange for The Dark Knight to contend with in entertainment value.

Post #: 213
Boyhood Dream Realised! Fantastically! - 2/5/2012 12:27:32 PM   
djchrise

I've been waiting for this movie since i was a kid reading Avengers #177 where they're all defeated by Michael/Korvac, and thinking, "hang on, they're not supposed to be ALL defeated!" I was hooked on these guys since then. 1978 i think.
Anyway, i was more than worried about this film because it was to be very much MY film! I'd invested a lot of myself in these characters. I wouldn't be at all pleased if it didn't live up how awesome i know these characters have been written over the years. The battles, scars and losses they've had to endure. I thought it was going to be a kid flick! Pure and simple. That it wouldn't round the character's personalities enough, and the script would be too simple.
Plus Joss Whedon WAS under my radar as a director. I hadn't gotten into Buffy or Firefly and anyway, let's just say i wasn't overly keen on the director. Nothing personal, or derivative of his craft and skills, but this was a boyhood dream taking form. People i spoke with about it all rated him though.
So, as per usual i tried to keep away from as many clips, interviews, rumours etc as possible. I like to go into the show knowing as little as possible. I only watched trailers.
Anyway, i went to see it in 2D on Wednesday 25th with a friend. Full of expectation and dread, heheh.
All i can say is, Whedon has made an Avengers movie we fans can be so proud of. The Dark Knight for me is a monumental film, and easily was the best supe movie project ever executed. Until now that is. THE best supe team is now all together in a live action film. And they have been drawn together beautifully by Whedon's script. The mind boggles as to who else they will bring into this universe.
Respect is due to the research, and his interpretation of how these characters work together. He nailed it. I'm not sure anyone else would have. Maybe not even Nolan himself! Whedon's view of them was almost exactly how i have interpreted their relationships over the years.

< Message edited by djchrise -- 2/5/2012 12:28:26 PM >

Post #: 214
brilliance - 3/5/2012 1:28:41 AM   
chrisharvey1551

great story humor and fun makes this a must watch. very reliefed that i didnt miss ed norton as much as i thought with m.r doing a tidy job as the hulk as usual rdjr is superb with the one liners and gels the rest of the cast in to the best action hero film in quite a while

Post #: 215
Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 2:51:49 AM   
wgfuzzydunlop1

Loved it from start to finish. The screening I went to was pretty full and everyone laughed and clapped at the right moments. Mid end credit scene sets up the sequel perfectly. I, and most of my friends left the cinema grinning like idiots. That's what I call a result. Well done, Joss!

Post #: 216
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 9:13:13 AM   
borstal

Hulk is fucking awesome.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to wgfuzzydunlop1)
Post #: 217
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 9:13:33 AM   
borstal

Hulk is fucking awesome.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to wgfuzzydunlop1)
Post #: 218
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 9:14:11 AM   
borstal

and also is fucking awesome!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 219
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 9:23:45 AM   
Shifty Bench

You know what this thread is missing? Borstal's opinion on The Hulk. I hope he tells us what that is soon.....

Oh, wait.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 220
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 12:21:39 PM   
Hood_Man

Hulk is fucking awesome.

Post #: 221
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 12:58:07 PM   
Cool Breeze

I was initally sceptical of Caps new costume from the photos, but seeing it in action in the film im sold.I think it looked great.

Fav moment for Cap is during the final battle he gives orders to some cops,the cops ask why they should take orders from him,Cap swiftly takes out a few space beasties,cops run off to carry out Caps orders.Awesome!

If its true they actaully shot Caps reunion with Peggy then i hope they save it for his next solo adventure.Its such an important part of his story that it doesnt deserve to just be a deleted scene on a dvd.Does anyone know if they used an elderly actress for the scene or if it was Hayley Attwell in old age make up?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 222
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 2:28:28 PM   
spamandham

Nothin' special apart from the couple of action scenes. Thirty minutes too long.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 223
RE: Pure Comic Book Movie Geek Nirvana!!! - 3/5/2012 2:42:39 PM   
borstal

Too much conjecture and probing of themes going on here for my liking.

THE HULK IS FUCKING AWESOME.

(One review to rule them all)

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 224
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 3:02:24 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: shazam

Just got back from watching it at my local and I must say I was not disappointed. Parts at the start felt a bit slow but once the action starts it doesn't stop. Make sure you stay through the first few mins of the end credits. Excelsior!!!

Nope, thats Thanos

(in reply to shazam)
Post #: 225
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 4:51:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

Nobody has mentioned this yet but the Hulk is fucking awesome.

Somebody had to say it.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 226
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 7:18:01 PM   
Coyleone

Hulk is fucking awesome. I seem to be in the minority, but I thought Cap was awesome and some of my favourite scenes involved him, especially the one Cool Breeze mentioned. I absolutely loved that scene, so awesome!

I'm starting to think this is being slightly underrated by people on here lol. I thought it was an incredible movie, and by leaps and bounds the best Marvel film ever. I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite film about people with Super Powers ever too.

Post #: 227
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 7:33:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, Cap was awesome too. I actually think most of them were. Black Widow was even tolerable.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 228
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 8:38:38 PM   
Ref

Must say I had a minor disagreement with one of my colleagues about Caps. He stated that he was a bit rubbish, I stated otherwise

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 229
RE: Avengers Assemble - 3/5/2012 8:38:53 PM   
ScottiE

5 Stars - best marvel Superhero movie there been thus far.
The action , the writing , everything is top rate. a big high five to Joss Wheedon, Mark Ruffello's Hulk I think just steals this from Ironman, mind you there are strong perfomances from every charcter. Scarletts Johnson - Black Widow was a very pleasent suprise and she get alot more screen time than I thought She would get

go see it, go se it now, You wont be dissapointed...

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

Post #: 230
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 8:40:24 PM   
ScottiE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Nobody has mentioned this yet but the Hulk is fucking awesome.

Somebody had to say it.

couldent agree with you more.
Yep he was FUCKING AWESOME !!!

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

Post #: 231
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 3/5/2012 9:50:31 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Must say I had a minor disagreement with one of my colleagues about Caps. He stated that he was a bit rubbish, I stated otherwise

But what did you think of Hulk?

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 4/5/2012 1:28:23 AM >

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 232
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 12:42:05 AM   
Spaldron

Does anyone think the Hulk was awesome?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 233
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 8:18:48 AM   
borstal

Look this thread is getting out of hand. I mean who are those other guys in this movie taking up precious Hulk time?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 234
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 9:28:12 AM   
Harry Tuttle

The lack of love for The Hulk in this thread makes me sad .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 4/5/2012 9:29:20 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 235
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 9:41:16 AM   
Sutty

watched this last night. cracking film. LOVED Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk. Best movie incarnation yet on both counts. Just listened to Mark Kermodes review and he mentions Loki using a swear word. Don;t remember that. What word did he use?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 236
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 9:42:43 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

watched this last night. cracking film. LOVED Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk. Best movie incarnation yet on both counts. Just listened to Mark Kermodes review and he mentions Loki using a swear word. Don;t remember that. What word did he use?

He calls Black Widow a mewling quim.

Quim being the swear word

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 237
RE: AMAZING AWESOME AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - 4/5/2012 10:00:57 AM   
Sutty

You know, I just had to look up what that meant! Nice! May become my word of the day. Wonder what will happen if I call it the wife...?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 238
Pure entertainment - 4/5/2012 12:43:54 PM   
Bliff

Haven't seen a film that has so greatly entertained from start to finish in a long time. Everybody involved was great although special mention has to go to Mark Ruffalo, best Banner yet...hands down. Tom Hiddleston was also amazing as Loki. And as for 'the other guy'.....totally stole the film, haven't laughed like I did in a couple of his scene's for ages. Bats and Spidey have a lot to live up to now.

Post #: 239
SECOND VIEWING..... - 4/5/2012 2:29:03 PM   
ROTGUT

What can I say? What else is there to say? It’s still pretty good. A well produced, entertaining, exciting superhero mash up. Perhaps the ultimate superhero mash up (until Avengers 2 comes out of course). The Marvel universe is well and truly up and running. This film is not The Dark Knight – and it ain’t meant to be. The Avengers is ripped straight out of a comic book. It’s about full blown comic book superheroes doing what comic book superheroes are supposed to do- and by the end – the team would appear to be fully formed and ready to combat the next unearthly threat. I would have preferred the proper Skrulls rather than their Ultimate themed counterparts but at the end of the day - I’m not complaining. It’s a live action Avengers movie with Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk - and it’s flipping not bad. If they had stuck Spiderman in there somewhere in the big battle at the end – everyone would be saying it’s a five star film. Hope The Dark Knight Rises can live up to the hype like this does – a solid FOUR STARS……

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Great fun!!! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI