Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Holy smokes!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Holy smokes!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Holy smokes!!! - 27/4/2012 8:52:59 AM   
MartinBlank76

The big 9 out of 10 for me too. I am already planning when to see it again.

I really enjoyed some of the films leading up to it such as iron man and thor (not so much captain america) but this is very much the main course. And all my hopes for what it would be in terms of characters and their interactions and, more so than in any other marvel film - the action scenes, were more than exceeded.

Awesome stuff.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 91
Loved it - 27/4/2012 9:23:06 AM   
Old_Pyrate

Great stuff, it's everything a four star movie should be (and Empire have given far worse films five stars).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
Not bad at all - 27/4/2012 9:48:38 AM   
DImperio

Very good.
Not excellent, but very good (especially considering the complexity of the task).
It loses points on:
- Cap: still looks crap and nowhere near as big as he should be.
- plot: pretty good but they spend 20' on one specific scene which i felt was more than it needed
- no surprises: i mean seriously, they could have inserted some other Marvel characters or even mention them

One last thing is make up: serisouly what's going on with the wigs!!! Cap and Thor look ridiculous!

Post #: 93
In a nutshell.... - 27/4/2012 10:01:53 AM   
7eke

Empires review is pretty spot on although i'd give it 3.5 stars if i could. The characters coming together works very well, Black widow was a pretty cool character, her apparent heart to heart with a captured loki was a stand out for me. Things i loved were the verbal sparring between the avengers, the helicarrier, the hulk(he got the biggest laughs), and the effects for the most part were pretty eye-popping. The things i didnt like.......Captain America's suit just looks plain naff, camp is not the word. i dont understand this as in his own movie it was pretty cool. Also, for all Fury's doom and gloom speeches and large-scale destruction on show there doesnt seem to be much peril, you just felt the Avengers are going to wipe the floor with this vacuous rent-an-army and make a mess doing it. and how on earth a couple of shots of loki riding a chariot towards us against a massive screen made it into the final film is beyond me. But overall the film was a lot of fun, and a fitting culmination of all the characters you been watching leading upto this point.

Post #: 94
Avengers Assemble - 27/4/2012 10:11:09 AM   
talpacino

Yeah not perfect but it's very good. I might need another watch. Like others have said, Hulk is easily the best thing here, for me all the best bits involved him. Saw it in 2D and it looked great so I'm happy, don't need to see it in 3D.

For once, the Stan Lee cameo wasn't painful. Strange little appearance for Harry Dean Stanton as well.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 27/4/2012 10:19:32 AM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to 7eke)
Post #: 95
Good but not Great - 27/4/2012 11:25:34 AM   
Crysis

A good movie but not a great one, and in hinsight it did well enough considering how much it had to shoehorn in. A movie like this has not been attempted before for a reason; its simple too hard to make something edible out of so many ingredients. The avengers just has far too much to tell in 2 hours and 20mins and giving each actors a section of the movie to shine simply dilutes the plot and evaporates any storyline.
Simply put and without any spoilers (but really there isn't anything major to spoil) loki arrives pokes people with his stick to take over their minds, steals a blue box and everyone tries to stop him, that's the plot.
What follows is a series of set pieces and skits devoted to each avenger, we get some good action and witty one lines - but such things do not make a smooth interesting plot - then we have a final 20 minutes or so of New York being blown to bits (why every alien movie picks on por old nyc is a mystery) There is genuine humour but i feel whedon is more suited to the better cabin in the woods than the large scale of the avengers. The bitchy rivalry between hulk and thor is funny, rdj gets must of the snappy quips, chris evans is better here than in the limp CA but again each character just gets a few minutes before we move onto the next, making it hard to invest any actual interest in them, it's best to just sit back and enjoy the very loud explosions and cgi.
Like i said good but not great. I'm still convinced TDKR will be the best superhero movie this year, and most likely the best overall movie of the year, but i'm looking forward to Spider Man swinging thru NYC again too.

Go see the avengers, it's a nice warm up to the main event.

Post #: 96
RE: Good but not Great - 27/4/2012 12:11:46 PM   
primebhoy

Just a quick Q, did anyone get a Dark Knight Rises trailer in front of Avengers.... Didnt in my 2D Odeon screening last night.

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to Crysis)
Post #: 97
RE: Good but not Great - 27/4/2012 12:13:33 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: primebhoy

Just a quick Q, did anyone get a Dark Knight Rises trailer in front of Avengers.... Didnt in my 2D Odeon screening last night.

I don't think the UK will get it until The Avengers is out in the States, at least, and even then probably just in IMAX.

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 98
Wildly silly, enormously entertaining - 27/4/2012 1:01:05 PM   
spideed2

By far the stupidest Marvel film to date but quite possibly the most fun. Great comedy lines, amazing nerd moments. The Hulk steals it....wow.

Not perfect, but such good summer fun.

But if you found the other Marvel films silly ...avoid. Theres nothing for you here but pain.

Post #: 99
No new The Dark Knight Rises Trailer at my screening - 27/4/2012 1:19:34 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

last night either.

The Avengers was teriffic.

Post #: 100
Avenging mayhem - 27/4/2012 1:22:44 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Excellent review there Dr Lenera. A very detailed and thorough diagnosis, prognosis seems inescapably positive if one can use such term. I shall have to give a second opinion in my consulting role after I see the film (hopefully in a London IMAX) next week sometime. There was one or two spoilery things, such as the Hawkeye detail but I'll let you off and you did cheekily hint there may be spoilers so fair enough. I have to disagree with you on Captain America, I don't think it measures up to Iron Man or Thor, but nonetheless it's still good. I also thought Alan Silvestri's score in CA was a bit disappointing. Still, I'll have to wait and see.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 27/4/2012 1:23:06 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 101
RE: Wildly silly, enormously entertaining - 27/4/2012 2:00:00 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: spideed2

By far the stupidest Marvel film to date but quite possibly the most fun. Great comedy lines, amazing nerd moments. The Hulk steals it....wow.

Not perfect, but such good summer fun.

But if you found the other Marvel films silly ...avoid. Theres nothing for you here but pain.

What did you find stupid about it?

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 102
RE: Wildly silly, enormously entertaining - 27/4/2012 3:34:12 PM   
film man aidy

A solid 8/10.
Stuff i liked -

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the main chacters interplay/ banter /arguements

The Iron Man mid air suit change

The Hulk/ thor punch up, especially Hulk landing one on Thor after wiping the floor with several baddies - got a big laugh.

All the Loki stuff.

Stuff I didn't like -

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The extreme action figure nature of the aliens.

Thor not turning up until 45 minutes in.

Too much S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff earlier on (adding a bit too much fat to the running time)

Very lame post credits scene - more CG baddies, oh joy...

That death scene. A real shame. Was quite disappointed they decided on that character...

End of spoilers.

Good solid entertainment, but not without it's flaws. Nice how they tied up all the prevoius films character story strands. Will be interested in what happens with the standalone films next.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 103
SOLID SUMMER ENTERTAINMENT...... - 27/4/2012 4:41:22 PM   
ROTGUT

and thank Christ for that. You can keep yer Transformers and your Tintins and Twylights. This film is what I'd pay my money for. The whole thing shouldn't really work - and yet it does - thanks to a witty script, nifty SFX and some excellent chemistry between the leads. Hulk vs Thor? You got it! Thor vs Iron Man? You got it!!! Cap vs Loki? Oh yeah!!!! Black Widow vs disposable alien bad guys? You got it - and more!!! This behemoth of a film takes a while to get going, but when it does - it flies!!! And did I mention the Shield Heli- carrier? It's worth the price of admission all on it's own. Chris Evans makes for a very convincing Captain America - even his costume isn't bad - but Robert Downey rules as Iron Man and gets all the best lines. Chris Hemsworth does well - especially in his scenes with Hiddleston's Loki who in turn has an excellent scene with ScarJo's Black Widow - and did I mention.......naaahhh.....just go see it for yourselves folks......... I'M SEEING IT AGAIN MONDAY. A SOLID FOUR STARS!!!!

Post #: 104
- 27/4/2012 4:54:06 PM   
stephenhickman2

Did I hear Loki say "Quimm"????

Post #: 105
'We have a Hulk" Avengers Assemble - 27/4/2012 5:31:22 PM   
RobsReview

I have been a comic geek for pretty much my whole life. I have always been a supporter of Marvel comics and must admit, I have well over a hundred Spider-Man comics stashed safely away under my bed, each in a special comic book wallet thing to prevent them from aging.

As much as this makes me sound like an insane Miss.Havisham-esque social castaway, I have no shame in declaring my love for all things superhero (so long as it has nothing to do with Superman...ugh.)

So, in 2008 after seeing the first Iron Man movie, I sat and waited as the last of the credits had faded to black and 'the Avengers initiative' was hinted at. I was so excited.

So, walking into the theatre last night and taking my seat to watch Avengers Assemble on opening night, I reflected that I had been waiting to see this film for just under 5 years and it did not disappoint.

The thing that really made it watchable was the continuity of character. Robert Downey Jr was back as multimillionaire playboy Iron Man, Chris Evans as super soldier Captain America, Chris Hemsworth and the God of thunder: Thor, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury (the role he was born for) and even Scarlett Johansson as The Black Widow.

However, even minor characters from the other 'Avengers universe' films were present such as Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye (he had a cameo in Thor), Gwyneth Paltrows chest thumpingly pretty Pepper Potts and even Greg Clark as S.H.E.I.L.D agent Phil Coulson.

The only issue with casting that made itself very clear was the lack of Ed Norton's Incredible Hulk.
Instead, the Avengers Assemble Hulk / Bruce Banner is played by Mark Ruffalo, a role he plays very well and is a believable, torn identity, 'you won't like me when I'm angry' Hulk. Not a big criticism but you get the feeling watching it that if Ed Norton had instead not demanded an outrageously high fee from Marvel to reprise his role, the whole film would have felt much more tightly knit, with all the story lines clo

Post #: 106
About right - 27/4/2012 5:42:36 PM   
keaneye

Loved this film, really enjoyed! It's not perfect, though I wouldn't expect it to be with all that it has to achieve. Pacing, I thought, was it's main problem and in some cases the sound wasn't great (might have been in a bad cinema). Some sequences were in too much in a hurry and others needed to be a bit punchier. This is mainly just nit picking with the editing. That aside there were some amazing scenes and great dialogue and Hulk is at his best in this by far , Ruffalo/Banner included.

Post #: 107
RE: About right - 27/4/2012 6:21:04 PM   
genejoke

I'm amazed at how good it was. Not perfect? nothing is my friends.
As others have said it's an almost perfect effects driven blockbuster. It has everything a blockbuster should have, it has it in spades.

(in reply to keaneye)
Post #: 108
RE: Avengers Assemble - 27/4/2012 6:26:47 PM   
Ref

Very much enjoyed this film - loved all the characters with no weak ones. The humour was just right, the music was epic (love the main theme).

4.5/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 109
RE: Fan Boy Fun - 27/4/2012 7:20:07 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: nhassell

Thought it was alright. Nowhere near as good as everyone is making out, but still enjoyable.

Yeah - I mostly agree. It was good but had a few noticeable flaws. The review was right - Loki's army were disappointing and I reckon that using Frost Giants instead might have been a better step because they could piggyback off the attachment made in Thor. Instead, these were just throwaway and forgettable.

They weren't "throwaway" though, the reviewer was wrong about that - they are the Chitauri, who are the Ultimate Marvel Universe Skrulls*. They're pretty much the Marvel Universe's biggest Alien race, and hugely important within Avengers-lore. Their appearance will come in to its own with time.

*The name Skrulls is owned by Fox as part of their Fantastic 4 agreement.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 110
Awesome - 27/4/2012 7:20:16 PM   
jeditommo

Totally lived up to all the anticipation great story, great action and unusually for a mega action film, great acting. Walked out wanting more, roll on the next time the Avengers assemble!

Post #: 111
RE: Awesome - 27/4/2012 8:16:21 PM   
snazzy_sophie

Not a fan of many superhero films but thought this was great. Beginning and middle act let it down slightly for me but the last half hour more than made up for this...mainly thanks to the Hulk

http://www.literallygeeking.org

(in reply to jeditommo)
Post #: 112
RE: Awesome - 27/4/2012 8:16:44 PM   
snazzy_sophie

Not a fan of many superhero films but thought this was great. Beginning and middle act let it down slightly for me but the last half hour more than made up for this...mainly thanks to the Hulk

(in reply to jeditommo)
Post #: 113
RE: Awesome - 27/4/2012 8:16:52 PM   
snazzy_sophie

(in reply to jeditommo)
Post #: 114
RE: Awesome - 27/4/2012 9:15:28 PM   
Filmfan 2

I thought this was fan-fucking-tastic!

Probably as near to perfect as a comic book movie can get, considering the logistical efforts that have gone in to making this all come together. I didn't know how this would pan out in Joss Whedon's hands (I'm a fan of his, but this is his biggest project to date), but having seen the final product I don't think there are many people who could've produced a better movie.

I say near to perfect as the film does have it's flaws, but they are quite inconsequential in what is a thrill ride for the greater part of the films running time. There are moments in this film, like the shot during the city battle where the camera moves from one Avenger to the next in a fluid camera movement as they fight the invading army that made me want to weep with joy.

This sets the bar pretty damn high so early in the summer blockbuster season, and if the likes of The Dark Knight Rises are on a par with this (and I'm sure it will be), I'm in for a happy time at the cinema.

4.5/5

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to snazzy_sophie)
Post #: 115
RE: Awesome - 27/4/2012 9:48:22 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Seen this today & I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's by no means perfect (it sags a little in the second act), but it's deliriously entertaining, full of some rather marvellous set pieces & packed with plenty of Whedonesque humour which achieves some genuine laugh out moments - most of which involve Ruffalo's rather brilliant take on Dr Banner & his somewhat unamused alter ego (or "the other guy" if you like?). On this evidence, not only was I thinking throughout "what might have been" had he been in Norton's shoes for the previous Hulk origin story, I'd now be well up for an entirely new film of his own.

I am curious though to hear what those who are not well versed in the Avengers universe will think of it? My gut feeling is that whilst there's enough in there for them to enjoy, it'll definitely be a more rewarding experience for either the hardcore fan or (like me) those who've made the time for all of their previous cinematic outings.

This could easily have been a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth", yet given the task at hand Whedon juggles both the expectations of the fans & the assemble themselves remarkably well (although to a certain extent Thor appears a little subdued here than the outlandish figure portrayed in Branagh's effort of last year).

The third act is also a brilliant exercise in how to execute a special effects bonanza - the single shot sequence in particular achieves the WOW factor considerably.

The universes of Batman & the X-Men may be more attuned to my fanboy tastes than the one represented here, but by & large, I had a blast!

A highly recommended popcorn muncher - and see it in 2D.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to snazzy_sophie)
Post #: 116
RE: Awesome - 27/4/2012 10:18:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

I enjoyed it. But felt with first two acts had a lot of bloat, and a really clunky opening. It also lacked a whole lot of iconic stuff, apart from maybe that shot we all saw in the trailers. However the finale was great, and Hulk finally delivered.

3.5/5

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 117
RE: Wildly silly, enormously entertaining - 27/4/2012 11:16:56 PM   
spideed2

Most marvel films to this point have kept half a foot in reality, this forgoes that and turns into a large scale sci fi mash up. No bad thing, and in keeping with the books, but very silly compared to say, Iron Man.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 118
RE: Wildly silly, enormously entertaining - 27/4/2012 11:17:03 PM   
spideed2

Most marvel films to this point have kept half a foot in reality, this forgoes that and turns into a large scale sci fi mash up. No bad thing, and in keeping with the books, but very silly compared to say, Iron Man.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 119
Tip Top! - 27/4/2012 11:36:14 PM   
Schimchs

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Heck, I didn't just like it - I loved it. I'd even settle into a long term relationship with it.

Total geek fest though, but I think probably still accessible to non comic book fans. Some great comedy moments as well - and they even managed to keep the Stark/Downey Jr ego reigned in. As the Empire review mentions, this could have easily turned into "Iron Man and his amazing friends", but each of the lead characters gets their own share of screen time.

I felt a genuine sadness at that point in the film, and whilst a bit of cliché, I think it was handled well.

As ever, the sign of a good film – walking out of the theatre, and finding real life a bit of an anti-climax.

< Message edited by Schimchs -- 27/4/2012 11:37:16 PM >

"When we get to twenty tell me, I'm gonna throw up"

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Holy smokes!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI