Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avengers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Avengers Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 4:19:23 PM   
Ghidorah

This is better than Singer's X Men films and Spider-Man 2. I'm not a fan of most films base on the Marvel Universe but the Avengers Assemble not only the best of them but one of the best Blockbusters period.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 61
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 4:19:38 PM   
RINNES

Just watched and safe to say its frikn awesome and lived up to and exceeded my expectations. Reading the rest of this thread I was a bit worried about the 3D version, but I can officially confirm the 3D is utilised to excellent effect in the vast majority of scenes. I was planning on seeing both versions, but when I go and watch it again I will still opt for the 3D version to be honest.

Regarding the actual movie itself (no spoilers don't worry), its a perfect balance of jaw dropping effects, action and comic timing. Highly reccommended and an easy 5 stars from me.

Post #: 62
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 4:19:53 PM   
RINNES

Just watched and safe to say its frikn awesome and lived up to and exceeded my expectations. Reading the rest of this thread I was a bit worried about the 3D version, but I can officially confirm the 3D is utilised to excellent effect in the vast majority of scenes. I was planning on seeing both versions, but when I go and watch it again I will still opt for the 3D version to be honest.

Regarding the actual movie itself (no spoilers don't worry), its a perfect balance of jaw dropping effects, action and comic timing. Highly reccommended and an easy 5 stars from me.

Post #: 63
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 4:21:01 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: RINNES
I can officially confirm the 3D is utilised to excellent effect in the vast majority of scenes. I was planning on seeing both versions, but when I go and watch it again I will still opt for the 3D version to be honest.

I'd disagree with this. The 3D made me go cross-eyed at times.

(in reply to RINNES)
Post #: 64
AVENGERS 3D - 26/4/2012 4:21:41 PM   
RINNES

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 65
RE: AVENGERS 3D - 26/4/2012 4:34:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

Saw it today and I loved it! It was action-packed and bloody funny. The Hulk is a comic genius

I saw it in 2D, the best way to see it. I honestly thought I wasn't going to love it as much as I did.....

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 26/4/2012 4:35:27 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to RINNES)
Post #: 66
avengers awesome! - 26/4/2012 6:12:46 PM   
jaysonski

AT LAST! a superhero film that dosen't take itself to serious
i absolutely loved it & was dreading the hulk after his last movie,
he was brilliant, lots of comedy & has its tongue firmly in its cheek,
effects great, robert downey jnr, brilliant as usual & great support.
the part where Loki gives it large to the hulk was absolutely hillarious.
just the right mix, well done joss wedon

Post #: 67
A+ for Avengers - 26/4/2012 6:17:03 PM   
darkhart

Hat off to Joss Whedon. I was skeptical he could pull this movie off, but I'm very happy to admit I was wrong.
Each character gets their moment to shine in a very simple plot and despite the wealth of preview material, there is still plenty left to keep you grinning from beginning to end.
p.s. I think i'm in love with the HULK.. swoon.

Post #: 68
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 6:48:35 PM   
EyupLad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Good to read someone who has more to say then some short superlative. . What's the music like? I know Alan Silvestri scored this film but I found his Captain America theme a bit underwhelming. Would you say Ruffalo trumps Norton's Banner? I also read one review (SFX - named and shamed) that Thor doesn't have as much of a 'boyish' charm as he did in his origin film. Is that right?

Emyr, I have to agree with the universal love for the film. I've been fairly underwhelmed by the previous build-up films, but the payoff with Avengers is pretty f'n great. As far as the music goes, I'd say it's pretty forgettable, I can't really remember any of it, so don't raise your hopes. I think Norton did a pretty good job as Banner in Incredible Hulk, but I think his presence as an actor might have overwhelmed this one. Ruffalo, as less of a big name, just seems more suited, he really nails it, he has a bit of a Peter Falk/Columbo vibe about him which I liked, and his Hulk is really awesome. With Thor, much of the charm has gone as his role is more of the pissed off brother wanting justice, so he is less charming, but he does have good chemistry with all the other heroes.

Overall everyone nails it, there's a great balance between each character, and it's really, really enjoyable, witty and exciting, and this from a DC fan!

< Message edited by EyupLad -- 26/4/2012 6:49:55 PM >

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 69
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 6:55:44 PM   
jcthefirst

Can we talk about the credits scene?

Is it Galactus? Or Apocylpse ?

Or am I way off?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to EyupLad)
Post #: 70
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 6:55:50 PM   
jcthefirst

Or am I way off?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to EyupLad)
Post #: 71
SENSATIONAL COMIC BOOK MOVIE!!!! - 26/4/2012 6:56:31 PM   
Ramone87

Awesome comic book romp!!! Director Joss Whedon does an amazing juggling act as he unites some of the the finest heroes of the Marvel universe together for the first time!!

What we have on display is pretty breathtaking stuff indeed, but never losing focus on all our major players as they go head to head with enemy Loki and his horde of Asagardian creatures. We have fine performances from Jackson, Hemsworth, Johansson but the scenes stealers are as always Downey Jr. as magnetic Tony Stark and splendid turn from Ruffalo as the Hulk.

With so many suberbly executed action sequences, it's quite remarkable how Whedon manages to cram a great plot, concerning the darker agendas of Agent Fury and the S.H.I.E.LD. against Loki and his evil plan to invade earth with great performances and subtlelties in just over 2 hours.

There is never a dull moment as our heroes battle Lokis foes on a suberbly staged attack on the S.H.I.E.L.D. aircraft carrier to the climactic battle in New York where we get some thrillling 'Hulk Smash' action, amazing ariel antics with Ironman, Hemsworth's Thor and his awesome 'Hammer' work and chopsocky slugfests with Captian America, Renner's Hawkeye and Johansson's Black Widow just barely getting a look in!!

Overall the plot builds nicely, we begin to learn that heroes are as much in battle with Loki as they are with each others egos, which literally come to some engaging and times hurmerous clashes. Hiddleston imbeds Loki with real malice and threat and prevails as a pretty cool villain whoes rise and fall is always engaging to watch.

Overall a pretty awesome feat!! And some great 3D to boot!!

WATCH IT!!!!

Post #: 72
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 8:01:41 PM   
angrytapes

it's Thanos

I'm a pimp... and pimps don't commit suicide.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 73
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 8:05:34 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Or am I way off?

quote:

Or am I way off?

It's Thanos

Yes, always.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 74
RE: AVENGERS 3D - 26/4/2012 8:05:44 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Saw it today and I loved it! It was action-packed and bloody funny. The Hulk is a comic genius

I saw it in 2D, the best way to see it. I honestly thought I wasn't going to love it as much as I did...

I got to watch the Avengers this afternoon in a packed cinema- greatly enhanced by the presence of a bunch of superfans decked out in muscle suits and full Iron Man & Cap costumes!

So how was the film? Suffice to say, my mouth still hurts - I had a massive grin on my face from beginning to end. This is the best Marvel superhero film by a country mile, which is incredible considering the challenge Whedon had in putting this kind of "teamup" film together. The action set pieces are epic in scale, far bigger than I would have guessed, certainly moreso than any of the prequels. Whedon's trademark humour is peppered throughout leading to many memorable moments - mostly involving Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk (who steals the show in pretty much every scene he's in).

I'd agree with the poster who said that you can't compare this to The Dark Knight...in all but one way - The Avengers has clearly been crafted by a fan of the source material.

Perhaps the most impressive and surprising thing about the Avengers is how unpredictable it is. Just when you think it's about to veer off into well-trodden cheesy territory (cough-Spiderman 3-cough), you get a smart one-liner....or during a highly-charged action scene, the film takes an unusual turn. It's these little moments that mean the 2hrs 20min running time flies by. It's these little touches that help you suspend disbelief and get truly immersed in a bunch of grown men/women running about New York in ridiculous costumes.

If I had to criticise the film in any way, it would be the first act...which is a little messy and takes a while to find its feet. I also found myself wondering whether Scarlett Johansson is a bit of a weak link.

p.s. Definitely see this in 2D- the 3D experience, if anything, detracts from the film.

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 26/4/2012 8:14:18 PM >

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 75
No Assembly Required! - 26/4/2012 8:26:00 PM   
bruciebonus

The best superhero movie I've seen, not overlong (like TDK), everyone gets their moment in the spotlight, lots of laughs and fanboy nods.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, can't wait til I go again

Post #: 76
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 8:45:53 PM   
Whistler

Holy crap that was awesome. I want to watch it again, right away. Holy crap that was awesome.

Post #: 77
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 9:00:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: RINNES
I can officially confirm the 3D is utilised to excellent effect in the vast majority of scenes. I was planning on seeing both versions, but when I go and watch it again I will still opt for the 3D version to be honest.

I'd disagree with this. The 3D made me go cross-eyed at times.

I'm with you. Saw it for a second time this morning in 2D, and vastly preferred it. The 3D kills the darker scenes.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 78
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 9:15:01 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Seeing this on monday and really excited, its getting great reviews. After being hugely sceptical about the whole thing from the start I genuinely cannot wait to see this now.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 79
Avengers - 26/4/2012 9:16:38 PM   
durelius

Was everything I expected and more, great script everyone bouncing off each other well, literally in places. Great fun.

Post #: 80
Fan Boy Fun - 26/4/2012 9:33:34 PM   
bretty

Well done to everyone concerned, a great super-hero film that has real characters, a good script and outstanding FX....

Post #: 81
RE: Fan Boy Fun - 26/4/2012 10:04:42 PM   
nhassell

Thought it was alright. Nowhere near as good as everyone is making out, but still enjoyable.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 82
RE: Fan Boy Fun - 26/4/2012 10:59:46 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: nhassell

Thought it was alright. Nowhere near as good as everyone is making out, but still enjoyable.

Yeah - I mostly agree. It was good but had a few noticeable flaws. The review was right - Loki's army were disappointing and I reckon that using Frost Giants instead might have been a better step because they could piggyback off the attachment made in Thor. Instead, these were just throwaway and forgettable.

The other big flaw was a dreadful opening 5-10 minutes during which my wife leaned over and said "This is terrible and cheesy." In hindsight I think it was simply due to Samuel L Jackson putting in one stinker of a performance. Every line he gave was hammed up and jarred with the tone that the rest of the cast struck (This. Is. War. Dun dun derrrr).

Thankfully when the rest of the cast came along (who were all excellent) it really moved along nicely. Whedon nailed the interplay among the big cast members and succeeded where many others would have failed.

I expect I'll enjoy it more a second time around because I'll be prepared for Jackson.

(Also - it was a shame that a lot of the best lines were in the trailor).

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 83
RE: Fan Boy Fun - 26/4/2012 11:05:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Personal opinion, innit?

Can't say I like the line 'nowhere near as good as everyone is making out' as though your opinion is all that matters and everyone else is wrong but I'm sure that was not your intention

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 26/4/2012 11:12:09 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 84
A 60 sec review... - 26/4/2012 11:38:40 PM   
UGonnaBarkAllDayDog?

..spoiler free and pretty well summed up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4a2Je_IcY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Post #: 85
RE: A 60 sec review... - 27/4/2012 12:59:08 AM   
pauljeremiah

saw it in 2D tonight, thought it was really fun but did tend to drag a little bit for about 10 minutes, but the last 30 minutes made up for it.

(in reply to UGonnaBarkAllDayDog?)
Post #: 86
RE: Fan Boy Fun - 27/4/2012 1:25:42 AM   
nhassell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Personal opinion, innit?

Can't say I like the line 'nowhere near as good as everyone is making out' as though your opinion is all that matters and everyone else is wrong but I'm sure that was not your intention
Indeed; a poor choice of line on my part.

One thing I did really like about the film; for a damn near two and a half hour long movie, it absolutely flew by.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 87
Absolutely fantastic!!!! - 27/4/2012 6:17:18 AM   
potemkin1925

I can't believe how good it was!!! It started out a bit weak - but once the Avengers began meeting it avalanches into awesomeness.

Post #: 88
Holy smokes!!! - 27/4/2012 6:32:54 AM   
potemkin1925

Feige is already talking about cutting the budget on the sequel and it hasn't even been greenit yet. Jebus help us, what is wrong with that tool??? Action movie sequels are supposed to be bigger, louder and shinier - not small quirky indie comedies.

Post #: 89
RE: Holy smokes!!! - 27/4/2012 8:35:32 AM   
Dr Lenera

no spoilers I think

The evil Loki, once a Viking god from Asgard who was defeated by his heroic brother Thor, is still hell bent on destroying humanity and turns up at the headquarters of SHIELD, the international peacekeeping organisation headed by Nick Fury. He takes a device SHIELD found which turned out to a huge source of renewable energy but is also a portal to another dimension, a dimension through which Loki is intended to attack the Earth. Fury assembles Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow, though they find it hard to work as a team and Hawkeye soon falls under Loki’s spell…….

The first film I ever saw at the cinema was Superman The Movie back in 1978, which may be why it still remains my favourite superhero movie and something which has never been matched though the likes of Batman Returns, Superman 2, Blade 2 and Spiderman came close. Out of the recent wave of Marvel superhero outings, none of them have totally rocked my boat. Iron Man, Thor etc., are certainly fun movies but to me seem to be a little lacking and also at time seeming like little more than setups for a certain planned motion picture called The Avengers, I mean Captain America was most entertaining and in my view the best of these pictures but its ending made it seem like it was just a lead-in for The Avengers and not its own movie. So you can imagine I was not especially excited about The Avengers and even a little annoyed by its existence but I couldn’t help getting ‘buzzed ‘about it the last few days, even though I thought it would be another minor disappointment.

I was wrong! Now I cannot tell you if Avengers Assemble [I don’t like the title change much, but never mind] is faithful to the comics which have inspired it. I can, though, tell you that it is a gloriously giddy, rip-roaring piece of entertainment that is just about worth the hype. The plot, while it does have a few minor surprises in its second half, is basically very simple. A portal is opened through which Earth is about to be invaded, and a group of potential saviours have to reconcile their differences and stop it. That’s it. The portal idea has been done loads of times before and I wonder if the film could have had a more interesting and original premise, but then to be honest, the plot should be little more than the excuse to get our disparate heroes together and battling to save the Earth, and that it does very well. I am not really a fan of Joss Wheddon’s writing, which to me often comes across as being smug and pretending to be a great deal cleverer than it actually is. The Cabin In The Woods, which seems to have divided people like few others, even on this here website, didn’t really change my opinion even though it was still a fun movie. But you know what, Wheddon totally nailed this movie.

Avengers Assemble may be a film about people with special powers in silly costumes fighting themselves and aliens, but it has been written with care and intelligence. It’s pitched right on the edge of almost being a send-up, it knows how silly the whole thing is, yet also cares about its characters and makes us care too. The film is full of laugh out lines, my favourite being Captain America’s reaction to Thor and Loki being gods, which I won’t say because I am nowhere near the best reviewer, sometimes tend to get a little spoiler-rific in my reviews and am trying to avoid it here! I will say though that as well as being very amusing it cleverly gives us a bit of Captain America’s personality. Quite simply this is the funniest film so far this year and yet it’s not really a comedy, nor is it like the Transformers movies where the humour was often out-of-place, grating and crude. Avengers Assemble, by the way, is one film where I think the rating is a little high. It has a’12A’, but I think a ‘PG’ would have been fine.

Of course much of the first half does consist of our supposed ‘heroes’ squabbling but these scenes are always ‘to the point’ and never outstay their welcome. At some time or other most of the characters end up fighting each other, but much care has been taken to differentiate the brawls. I was especially impressed with one involving Black Widow which, though brief, showcases some decent martial arts choreography and, guess what, for most of the time you can actually see what is going on. Occasionally the camera shakes and gets in rather close but it seems an attempt to ‘heighten’ a particular moment and actually works really well. An extended set piece on a submarine/ship [that can become invisible], with diverse action happening all over, and even outside, is extremely well worked out, but the final half hour battle is just stunning. Buildings are smashed, cars are thrown, ‘money shots’ are thrown at us by the bucket load [one I especially like involved Iron Man and a novel way of getting into his suit], fighting goes on and on, and it’s like the climaxes of the Transformers films the way it goes on and one and you don’t want it to end, but it is actually better, because you are emotionally invested in what is going on. You also get to see Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury actually do something.

I saw Avengers Assemble in 3D as it was the earliest showing I could get to, and I will utter my usual moan about some scenes looking absurdly dark, but……..the 3D is actually pretty good when it counts, chiefly during the action. The 3D was actually retro-fitted, but to be honest it is almost as good as the 3D in the last Transformers, which was actually shot in the format, and I am getting a slight liking for retro-fitted 3D , because the folks who do it obviously concentrate on changing the action and the special effects into 3D and not so much on the dialogue scenes, which in films actually shot in 3D often makes the people look like cardboard cut-outs. Of course the special effects throughout are stunning, with the amount of detail in some shots awe-inspiring. I am a great critic of CG, but cannot complain about it in this movie; you really will believe what you are seeing! The design is sometimes impressive too; I was disappointed by seeing yet more Predator-type aliens, but their huge ships are incredible, almost H.R.Giger-like in their design, the way they seem part-machine and part-living organism, welded and twisted into some surreal, perverse combination of the two.

Anyone would think that the cast would be drowned in this orgy of f*** me thrills, but they most certainly are not. You wouldn’t expect Robert Downey Jnr to be anything less than brilliant as Tony Star aka Iron Man, but I was most impressed with Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Tom Hiddleston as Loki because they were, in my opinion, quite poor in Thor but have really grown into their roles. Hiddleston is great the way he shows Loki is clearly having fun with his evil-doing, and this extends to Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner aka The Hulk, who always seems to find a humour in his tragic character, yet still not letting go of that all-important tragic element in what I think overall is a brilliantly judged piece of acting. I suppose some may find the lack of real ‘darkness’ somewhat weak, there is no doubt that the film could have gone that way, but then superhero stories, like any kind of tale, can be done in many different ways and they are all valid, from the anarchic mickey-taking of Kick-Ass to the semi-realistic intensity of Christopher Nolan’s Batman outings, two films which I personally didn’t connect with but which I can understand the love for.

Alan Silvestri’s score is a disappointment, especially after his great work on Captain America. It almost seems like he was reigned in and told to imitate the dreary Media Ventures [the dreadful Hans Zimmer-headed music organisation whose goal seems to be to make every film score sound the same] template, but I may be saying that because the score seems to be partly buried in the sound mix. But you know what, I loved Avengers Assemble. I am certainly not a comic book ‘geek’; for a start, I will say that the [already] much discussed after-credits scene meant nothing to me until I came home and researched it. However, I cannot deny that Avengers Assemble is big budget, ‘commercial’ cinema at its very best [and by the way with no unnecessary love stories in it!]! I seem to be constantly criticising stupid ‘blockbusters’ at the moment because I do believe there is a greater proportion of condescending, stupid crap these days than in any decade since movies began. I also, though, believe that to make a really good ‘blockbuster’ takes great skill and care, and Avengers Assemble most certainly is a ‘really good’ one. Now I will be in London in a couple of weeks…..I think I will check out some of those Marvel comics in Forbidden Planet…...

Rating: 9/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 27/4/2012 8:38:59 AM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to potemkin1925)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Avengers Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI