Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Seen it and it's incredible!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Seen it and it's incredible! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seen it and it's incredible! - 20/4/2012 7:20:43 PM   
stevolegendbauer

I have been waiting to see this movie for 4 years, ever since Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury turned up at the end of Iron Man in 2008 and uttered those words that made fan-boys around the world wet their pants: "I'm here to talk about the Avengers initiative". And after 5 films I can honestly say that my incredibly high expectations were not let down, they were exceeded.

The Avengers is an incredible movie, not just a great superhero movie but a really good film. Marvel has made a big gamble with this picture and it has paid off. The movie starts off with an introduction to each of our heroes and their antagonist: Loki. It's all pretty usual stuff from here. But once the heroes come together, the movie becomes something more. There are a lot of big egos flying around and each one is more used to being the centre of attention, especially Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark. It's in these heated rows and witty banter that The Avengers becomes something that I really wasn't expecting: it's really funny. All these characters are so different and come from such different backgrounds that there is a lot of fun to be had by bouncing them off each other. The fish out of water gags at Captain America's and Thor's expense are great ("Easy there Point Break") with Tony getting to roll off line after line of witty insults. And in the film's climax, Hulk gets most of the laughs as he smashes everything around him. The Hulk could easily have been the film's main weakness, Marvel had already tried bringing him to the screen twice with little success (Ang Lee's 2003 version being one of the worst superhero movies ever) but he ends up being one of the film's biggest strengths. Mark Ruffalo makes a great Bruce Banner but he actually gets to play both Banner and the Hulk through motion capture (the first time ever that an actor has played both Banner and his massive alter-ego) and it works great. There was a huge cheer and applause when Cap' got to tell him: "Hulk

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 1:29:49 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Four stars is a really good grade.

But I cannot wait to see where this thread goes in the coming days.

I'm not that bothered about the film, but I am looking forward to this thread.

This ^ Its guaranteed to kick off at somepoint.

As for the film I'll probably want to re-watch the previous Marvel films before I see this, just so I know whats going on. Good review though, very encouraging.

I want to watch them all before seeing this also. Film fest coming up!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 21/4/2012 1:30:26 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 32
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 1:39:10 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

quote:

As for the film I'll probably want to re-watch the previous Marvel films before I see this, just so I know whats going on. Good review though, very encouraging.

I shall play "Barbarian Horde" from Gladiator on iTunes in honour of upcoming events. The quiet moments in that are perfect for drumming up tension

And now I shall leave... if the Empire review warns of spoilers then this thread might be dangerous for me, I've managed to avoid almost everything so far!

*scoots*

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 33
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 10:30:29 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did that yesterday and the day before, so I'm all set for Thursday. Really looking forward to it, nearly as much as I'm looking forward to this thread (although 4 stars gives a little less room for potential thread meltdown).

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 34
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 11:43:49 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did that yesterday and the day before, so I'm all set for Thursday. Really looking forward to it, nearly as much as I'm looking forward to this thread (although 4 stars gives a little less room for potential thread meltdown).

I too did a big rewatch before watching The Avengers.

I'm being optimistic, but I think this thread will be fine (there isn't much to complain about in the review to be fair, one nerdy factual incorrection aside). The film is absolutely fantastic tho, so there might be a few wondering where that fifth star has disappeared to.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 35
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 11:53:47 AM   
superdan

It has to be said if the film is as good as the general consensus seems to be, Joss Whedon has pulled off something pretty unbelievable. Gathering together the main characters from 4 other films and not just making it work but making it work well is some feat, even if the other films were largely made with this in mind. It could have been so easy for him to fall on his face and bring the whole franchise down with him.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 36
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 12:28:54 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

It has to be said if the film is as good as the general consensus seems to be, Joss Whedon has pulled off something pretty unbelievable. Gathering together the main characters from 4 other films and not just making it work but making it work well is some feat, even if the other films were largely made with this in mind. It could have been so easy for him to fall on his face and bring the whole franchise down with him.

Indeed. I mentioned this in the Cabin In The Woods thread as well, but I'm actually a bit of a Whedon dissenter. I don't like any of his work (bar Serenity), but I'm almost a convert after the year he's had so far. I'm yet to actually see a bad word said about The Avengers, which for a film of this ilk, and given the circles I hang around in is little short of unheard of.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 21/4/2012 12:34:59 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 37
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 1:36:21 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Indeed. I mentioned this in the Cabin In The Woods thread as well, but I'm actually a bit of a Whedon dissenter. I don't like any of his work (bar Serenity), but I'm almost a convert after the year he's had so far. I'm yet to actually see a bad word said about The Avengers, which for a film of this ilk, and given the circles I hang around in is little short of unheard of.

I can't stand anything he's done but I'm also intrigued by the positivity of this and Cabin.

Post #: 38
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 21/4/2012 8:04:03 PM   
Stillwater

I know the review warned of mild spoilers, and normally I don't mind that, it's difficult to review a movie without talking about certain plot points, but is it really necessary to quote actual lines from the movie in the review??

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 39
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 8:34:13 AM   
MartinBlank76

To 3D or not to 3D?

Is this post converted and if so what is it like? Unless its shot in 3D I would rather just go for the 2D showing I think.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 40
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 9:21:48 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stillwater

I know the review warned of mild spoilers, and normally I don't mind that, it's difficult to review a movie without talking about certain plot points, but is it really necessary to quote actual lines from the movie in the review??

My thoughts exactly. Really unnecessary and pointless. Its not the first time and it just comes across as 'I've seen the film and know something about it'.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 41
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 10:24:40 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

To 3D or not to 3D?

Is this post converted and if so what is it like? Unless its shot in 3D I would rather just go for the 2D showing I think.

Same here. I do want to see it in IMAX though, but annoyingly, where I am, it's either 2D or IMAX 3D. No simply IMAX.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 42
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 11:37:12 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

To 3D or not to 3D?

I was forced in to seeing it in 3D, and wouldn't recommend it. The frustrating bit is that its very very good at times, especially in the third act, but on balance the dimness of some of the dark scenes is just too much.

Post #: 43
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 12:08:44 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

To 3D or not to 3D?

Same here. I do want to see it in IMAX though, but annoyingly, where I am, it's either 2D or IMAX 3D. No simply IMAX.

To be fair, if you have issues with a film being post-converted for 3D then surely the same applies to a film being prepped for IMAX afterwards too? My local has just got an IMAX screen, but unless its for a film that had elements produced with the medium in mind then I see no point in it. It's arguably even lesser of a consideration that 3D in some cases (Avengers being one of them), in that at least Whedon went in to The Avengers knowing it would be screened in 3D, so could work to that when shooting the film. I'm fairly sure that the IMAX release wasn't announced 'til much later on (ergo, Whedon didn't shoot for IMAX, but did for retrofitted 3D).

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 44
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 12:09:47 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

To 3D or not to 3D?

I was forced in to seeing it in 3D, and wouldn't recommend it. The frustrating bit is that its very very good at times, especially in the third act, but on balance the dimness of some of the dark scenes is just too much.

I was forced into a 3D screening of Pirates!... on Saturday as Cineworld only had two daily 2D showings of it, neither of which I could make it to. I'm worried that the same thing will happen with Avengers this weekend. Pirates! was the first post conversion I've seen and I didn't really enjoy it, I felt nauseous by the end. If a 2D screening of Avengers isn't on the cards I may just wait till this hits Blu Ray which is a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing this on the big screen.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 45
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 23/4/2012 3:10:09 PM   
talpacino

Tickets booked for a 2D showing on Thursday evening. Schweeet!

I'm going to try and watch a few of the films leading up to this but doubt I'll get them all in before Thursday.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 46
Amazing! - 23/4/2012 11:00:00 PM   
mvannierop

Just saw the Avengers at the premiere in Amsterdam.
It is fabulous; a real achievement by the Marvel studio to pull of such a big movie with such high expectations. The 3D was okay, but for me not essential.
Had a smile on my face all the way through!

Post #: 47
RE: Amazing! - 25/4/2012 3:58:18 AM   
Mojo

Fantastic from start to finish. The final battle is excellent and to see all these heroes teaming up was just awesome. Special mention going to the Hulk, so much better than in previous versions.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to mvannierop)
Post #: 48
RE: Avengers Assemble - 25/4/2012 12:35:54 PM   
Gonedeaf

Hi Guys!

I went to the same London press screening as Empire and have put together the following video and written reviews, please check them out! The video review is my first crack at editing and I've never done a Youtube channel before so all comments, feedback and subscriptions will be very gratefully received, with more exclusive content coming over the coming months:

Please find the link to my blog and video series in my signature. :)

< Message edited by Gonedeaf -- 25/4/2012 11:34:33 PM >

Avengers Assemble Video Review (inc. making-of footage and movie clips) now live!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cR7vIekZMw&feature=g-all-lik

Or visit the blog at www.wtfoosh.blogspot.com

(in reply to wildphantom)
Post #: 49
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 25/4/2012 1:59:54 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

quote:

To 3D or not to 3D?

Thats just what I wanted to hear as I prefer 2D.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

Post #: 50
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 25/4/2012 2:25:38 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Does anyone feel that if Edward Norton had stayed on as Banner/Hulk, that it would have potentially diminshed the film? I'm hoping to see this next week at the London IMAX.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 25/4/2012 2:26:01 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 51
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 25/4/2012 6:58:43 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

To 3D or not to 3D?

I was forced into a 3D screening of Pirates!... on Saturday as Cineworld only had two daily 2D showings of it, neither of which I could make it to. I'm worried that the same thing will happen with Avengers this weekend. Pirates! was the first post conversion I've seen and I didn't really enjoy it, I felt nauseous by the end. If a 2D screening of Avengers isn't on the cards I may just wait till this hits Blu Ray which is a shame as I was really looking forward to seeing this on the big screen.

I work in a small Cineworld at can say that there are plenty of 2D and 3D showings of this, its totally dominating our screens. Pirates has been out for a while so that's the reason for the drop off of 2D showings.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 52
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 25/4/2012 9:22:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

To 3D or not to 3D?

Thats just what I wanted to hear as I prefer 2D.

Likewise! I'm actually seeing it again first thing tomorrow in 2D, so much was my enjoyment of the film!

Post #: 53
RE: FOUR stars!!?? - 26/4/2012 12:12:23 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Does anyone feel that if Edward Norton had stayed on as Banner/Hulk, that it would have potentially diminshed the film? I'm hoping to see this next week at the London IMAX.

Perhaps, although I do think that had he stayed on board it would have been a very different film. Plus the advertising would probably have led with Norton, and not the Hulk.

On a related note, the Hulk really is fantastic here.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 54
Avengers - 26/4/2012 12:16:08 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Is it fair to say that Ruffalo plays a more effective Banner/Hulk? Or at least more nuanced?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 55
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 12:38:35 PM   
superdan

So, yeah... it's pretty wonderful.

Post #: 56
AMAZING AWESOME AVANGERS ASSEMBLE - 26/4/2012 1:35:23 PM   
shazam

Just got back from watching it at my local and I must say I was not disappointed. Parts at the start felt a bit slow but once the action starts it doesn't stop. Make sure you stay through the first few mins of the end credits. Excelsior!!!

Post #: 57
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 2:26:44 PM   
Third Eye

quote:

So, yeah... it's pretty wonderful.

Quoted for truth. I chose to see the 2D version after watching Captain America in 3D and wishing somebody would turn the lights on. Everybody gets a little moment in shine in this, special mention to Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk who is fantastic. After watching Iron Man 2 and feeling like Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow was shoehorned in I was worrying if her and newcomer Jeremy Renner would be relegated to background characters but they get some nice moments and their history is expanded upon. Whedon has to be credited for handling the film so well, fitting in so many egos and delivering the best Marvel adventure yet. As far as the summer blockbuster line up goes this will be tough to beat.

The pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light.

And thus, the saga begins.....

Twitter: oli2033

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 58
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 2:31:15 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Good to read someone who has more to say then some short superlative. . What's the music like? I know Alan Silvestri scored this film but I found his Captain America theme a bit underwhelming. Would you say Ruffalo trumps Norton's Banner? I also read one review (SFX - named and shamed) that Thor doesn't have as much of a 'boyish' charm as he did in his origin film. Is that right?

(in reply to Third Eye)
Post #: 59
RE: Avengers - 26/4/2012 3:34:41 PM   
Wild about Wilder

BRILLIANT! Been waiting for too many years to mention for a film version of 1 of my all time favorite comics this Cap & Invaders were my 1st.
And have to say it excided my hopes in every way koodos go to Joss & Marvel who again go & show DC how to do a superhero movie (especially a team 1 where no one seemed to get cut short on screen time though The Hulk did nearly "STEAL THE WHOLE FREAKING SHOW!").
Saw it in 2D thankfully as bits the 1st Thor & Loki encounter would've been barely watchable with the light loss of 3D.
Only bugbear was the introduction of the new Alien race did Marvel really need another 1 what with Kree, Skrulls & S'hiar (sorry know I've spelt that wrong ).
But on the whole a Fantastic piece of entertainment & probably the film I've most enjoyed since Inception. 5* STARSSSS!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Seen it and it's incredible! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI