Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DOWNEYJR'S BEST FILM

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: DOWNEYJR'S BEST FILM Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DOWNEYJR'S BEST FILM - 17/5/2012 1:20:23 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

This is a quote from a product placement blog article elsewhere on this site:

"US audiences are also treated to a much-rumoured second post-credit scene which shows the team enjoying the dish which, for Tony Stark's information, is slices of spiced chicken served with warm pitta and a variety of sauces."

Is this true or a joke on the part of the writer?

To answer my own question:

http://www.hypable.com/2012/05/02/avengers-after-after-credits-scene-revealed-image-somehow-leaked-online-spoilers/

It goes without saying that there's spoilers within.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 361
FOURTH VIEWING..... - 18/5/2012 3:22:07 PM   
ROTGUT

Still enjoyed it……the strong archetypal characters and a witty script – and the big action set pieces just kept on coming toward the end. Chris Evans was an excellent Johnny Storm in the FF movies, but I have to confess that he makes an excellent Captain America as well. And just think what they could do with Chris Hemsworth in a Thor sequel now? SPOILER ALERT - With Thanos now in the picture, Marvel could really let rip and produce a big budget Lord of the Rings type fantasy spectacular across the nine realms – imagine, Thanos and the Chitauri, the Enchantress, the Executioner and Ragnarok all declaring war on Asgard. And I’d be up for a Hawkeye/ Black Widow spin off too – and for God’s sake make sure that RDJ is signed up for another 3 Iron Man films. He owns Tony Stark!!!! Whoever steps into his shoes if (when) Marvel decide to pension him off will have a pretty darn hard act to follow. Tom Cruise as Tony Stark anyone? Naaaahhh. And I’d be curious to see Mark Ruffalo in his own Hulk movie. His tortured Gamma scientist seemed to be a bit more assured and darkly sardonic than either Norton or Eric Bana’s interpretations – more David Banner than Bruce I think. And it helped that this Hulk actually looked like him as well. Who do I want to see in Avengers 2??? Who else but Giant man and the Wasp of course. Then, the Avengers REALLY would be complete. Now if only Marvel could get the rights back for the Fantastic Four and Spiderman………….sigh…………I can but dream…….

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! FOUR STARS

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 362
- 18/5/2012 9:23:56 PM   
wlucas

Hopefully Hollywood will have learnt their lesson from this and will use talented directors for big budget films which will result in less Daredevils and Wolverines and more Avengers and Dark Knights, genuinely classic cinema

Post #: 363
RE: Avengers Assemble - 18/5/2012 10:42:27 PM   
GCH

Saw this today and thought it was OK, more or less as I expected. Joss Whedon knows how to give characters their own space without slowing the momentum of the film. What I don't understand, however, is how it has taken 4 times as much as John Carter. It simply isn't 4 times better (in fact I believe they are on a par). Is it just about fanboys? Or is it Scarlett's arse?

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

Post #: 364
Excelsior ! ! ! - 19/5/2012 1:41:03 AM   
xxsteveo71xx

the problem with any film you have been waiting a long time for is simple, was it worth waiting. I deliberately didn’t watch any trailers or read any reviews, so as I sat down with my 3d glasses on and waited, I braced myself to be disappointed. I wasn’t.... all hail Whedon, the best film I have seen in many a year, but now joss realises he has a problem he has to follow it

Post #: 365
RE: Avengers Assemble - 19/5/2012 11:52:25 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: GCH

Saw this today and thought it was OK, more or less as I expected. Joss Whedon knows how to give characters their own space without slowing the momentum of the film. What I don't understand, however, is how it has taken 4 times as much as John Carter. It simply isn't 4 times better (in fact I believe they are on a par). Is it just about fanboys? Or is it Scarlett's arse?

There has been more build up, it is a more recognised franchise and the marketing has been handled in a superior manner.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to GCH)
Post #: 366
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/5/2012 9:51:52 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Well John Carter was so  boring and the Avengers was not.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to GCH)
Post #: 367
RE: Avengers Assemble - 20/5/2012 10:29:16 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Well John Carter was so  boring and the Avengers was not.

I didn't think JC was boring, but Avengers is miles better. It's not an accident it's taken so much more money.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 368
RE: Avengers Assemble - 21/5/2012 3:40:54 PM   
Discodez

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere so thought I'd post a link here. Charlie Brooker's thoughts on Avengers Assemble - not a review as such, more a report about what it's like going to the cinema when you don't go to the cinema much these days, and you're a bit of a grumpy sod! And it's really quite funny:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/20/marvel-avengers-assemble-3d-experience

< Message edited by Discodez -- 21/5/2012 3:41:37 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 369
SMASH! - 28/5/2012 2:55:15 PM   
ARmy2510

Funny, loud and pretty flawless movie! Here's my review of Avengers. Hope you like it :)

Edit - no off-site links to advertise own blogs/sites etc. You're welcome to copy/paste your review here and/or include sig links to personal sites

< Message edited by elab49 -- 29/5/2012 8:15:12 AM >

Post #: 370
RE: SMASH! - 29/5/2012 12:49:26 AM   
kmite

Oh this film was the tits but does anyone else think the hulk looked a wee bit like rich hall at times?

(in reply to ARmy2510)
Post #: 371
Avengers is epic in which ever way you look at it... - 1/6/2012 1:38:20 PM   
trainedasninja

Hugely enjoyable and thrilling megahit blockbuster from Marvel. You couldnt help but praise the writers being successful in bringing the characters together in such an entertaining way without feeling bloated. You may wish for the heros, who had their own movies, to be given more time but such feelings are...well inevitable but you would hardly complain as these few moments are handled fine. With Avengers its simply a joy to watch all these great actors and characters interact with each other. Eyes now on the Dark knight rises to see if they can top this...

Post #: 372
Puny God - 1/6/2012 10:28:38 PM   
AbidorSimpson

Gotta say, this movie was very good.
Having pretty much been raised with a wide view of literature and comic books, my expectations of Avengers was high...
And boy I was not disappointed.
Every single character was well fleshed, the entwining stories from previous films actually worked together and there was no one main character. Every single one had a chance to shine and give in their two pence of screen time. The characters had life and flesh, and witty one-liners that can only be truly found in a Joss Whedon production.
I thoroughly enjoyed sitting through this film, even if I had to watch it in 3D (something I CANNOT stand), something that worked for this film.
A film worth it's weight in gold, and I cannot wait to see it again.

Post #: 373
RE: SMASH! - 6/6/2012 2:03:26 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: kmite

Oh this film was the tits but does anyone else think the hulk looked a wee bit like rich hall at times?

After he's had a few, maybe...

(in reply to kmite)
Post #: 374
RE: SMASH! - 7/6/2012 1:16:03 AM   
scary_ice

I just want to say remember when people (including me) were saying the Tranformers movies were crap and Bay couldn't direct traffic and then other people would say - IT'S A BLOCKBUSTER WHAT DO YOU WANT? IT'S GOT EXPLOSIONS HASN'T IT?

Well, THIS is what I want - a funny, exciting, action -packed movie with great characters that you give a shit about. Thanks Joss.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 375
RE: SMASH! - 7/6/2012 1:16:10 AM   
scary_ice

Doubles...

< Message edited by scary_ice -- 7/6/2012 1:18:26 AM >

Post #: 376
RE: SMASH! - 7/6/2012 1:16:21 AM   
scary_ice

Sorry for the repetitve posts - the forum seems to be playing up today.

< Message edited by scary_ice -- 7/6/2012 1:17:47 AM >

Post #: 377
the avengers - 9/6/2012 5:47:34 PM   
andy peat

omg i can believe how perfect this movie was.acting,script,special effects everything in fact worked.and at last they got the hulk spot on.as someone who has colloected and read comics for 35 years i know how good this is.all the charactors are so well acted ,the banter and inter play perfect.

Post #: 378
- 15/6/2012 1:18:47 PM   
silence1

movie that didn't realy live up to hype but it had its moments. Fairly boring at the begginning as its mostly talking rather than the wanted action. The film only got exiting in the last twenty minutes and even that wasn't great. I don't realy need to do much of a reveiw on this so i'm going straight to my numbers. I give this movie a 2.

Post #: 379
- 15/6/2012 1:18:49 PM   
silence1

movie that didn't realy live up to hype but it had its moments. Fairly boring at the begginning as its mostly talking rather than the wanted action. The film only got exiting in the last twenty minutes and even that wasn't great. I don't realy need to do much of a reveiw on this so i'm going straight to my numbers. I give this movie a 2.

Post #: 380
Blu Ray and DVD changes and rip off - 17/9/2012 9:17:35 PM   
fiercehairdo

Is everyone aware of the Blu Ray DVD rip off and movie edit that has affected the UK release?? Sounds pretty annoying: Coulson's death has been toned down and crucial extras (commentary and docs) are missing on the UK release: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/17/blog-the-avengers-blu-ray-debacle/

(in reply to silence1)
Post #: 381
RE: Blu Ray and DVD changes and rip off - 18/9/2012 7:03:34 PM   
evil bill

Now this is one film i wish i had of gave it a chance and seen on the biggest screen i could have,for i now regret not listening to a certain mate.But now i've seen it on Blu-Ray it will be top of this weeks must buy films,for Joss Whedon has put Marvel on top of the fun summer blockbuster comic film,in fact with such style and energy it will be hard to top this one.At two hours 23 minutes,it charges along at breakneck speed,yet still builds a great plot among all the awesome CGI,but with so much going on you might not even notice the plot.It is a pure popcorn thrill ride that provides Marvel comic fans with exactly what they desire,a full on epic of a fantasy film with most of there heroes on show,and with some great sharp,witty dialogue.

What a cast too is to die for with Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury,he is finally more than just the guy making a surprise appearance,here he is finally able to be more like in the comic,and Jackson just glides into the role.Add to this all star cast Iron Man/Tony Stark aka Robert Downey Jr delivering his lines with total ease in a role he has made all his own,allowing his charisma and charm to light upevery scene he's in.Then there's Captain America/Steve Rogers aka Chris Evans,who again is just perfect in his role,as much as i'm not a fan of Captain America,i still enjoy this film and his part in the overall film.Also Thor aka Chris Hemswoand flexing his mussles once again as the God Of Thunder,he has some incredible battle scenes worth the rental alone.The big suurprise for me was the all new Hulk/Bruce Banner aka Mark Ruffalo who was far better suited to the role than the not so bad Eric Bana (The Hulk) or the pretty bad Ed Norton version (The Incredible Hulk),and also get's the best gag in the film.Plus for some eye candy in the role of the Black Widow is Scarlett Johansson, who get's a great back-story, which helps in developing the character and proves she is much more than just a sexy lady,for she is both psychologically and physically deadly like her name(she can bite me anytime.).On a low note of all the hero Hawkeye aka Jeremy Renner get's the thin end of the stick with very little screen time to build on his role.

The film is well scripted for a Marvel film,with plenty of clever banter,funny moments, gripping action sequences,great visuals and superb use of CGI,plus and an air of mystery,with a few surprises along the way.Been a while scine i enjoyed a film like this so much that i'll be buying this Blu-Ray this week,and it's not for the extras it's just for the sheer rollercoaster over the top fun ride.This is a film made with a great love for comic books, and it is all  proudly put on display on the screen,yet it's no Dark Knight which is great,for too many try to match the Batman films of Nolan.No this is a fun ride on a huge canvas,which knows not to try and get compared to other comic films,it's made it's own spot and could be just as big a franchise as Nolans Batman Films.9/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 382
Doth your mother knoweth you weareth her drapes? - 19/9/2012 1:20:00 AM   
Alex Doran

Simply put, i loved it. It was funny all the way through particularly when the Hulk was unleashed. The action was pure brilliance, even if the baddies were lame, and didn't dissapoint. The only problem i found was that Jeremy Renner, Scarlett Johansson and Colbie Smulders weren't used as much as i would have liked. Besides that, it was fantastic, my second favourite film of this year so far, behind only The Dark Knight Rises. I am looking forward to Marvel Phase 2.

Post #: 383
RE: Doth your mother knoweth you weareth her drapes? - 19/9/2012 1:51:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Cool movie but not as good John Carter, Battleship or Dredd!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Alex Doran)
Post #: 384
RE: Doth your mother knoweth you weareth her drapes? - 19/9/2012 1:55:37 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Cool movie but not as good John Carter, Battleship or Dredd!

The vast majority of the film going public disagree DK.Still Taylor Kitsch will be glad to know he's got at least one big fan out there!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 385
blah - 24/9/2012 3:00:22 PM   
jakesfake

Edit - if you wish to post a review it would be welcomed but we don't allow advertising of your own site in posts. If you'd like add it in your sig, but please don't direct users off-site from within posts.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 29/9/2012 11:00:48 PM >

Post #: 386
The Avengers – Review - 29/9/2012 10:48:55 PM   
LIBS 7014

The Avengers – Review

A Marvel comic book adventure transformed into an action packed sci-fi film.

[image]http://www.ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/050412-the-avengers.jpg[/image]
Black Widow, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Iron Man and The Hulk together as “The Avengers
Photograph: Marvel Studios

Add five of the best Marvel comic superheroes together and we get The Avengers; a comic book sensation from its well-known comic book writer Stan Lee. The film takes The Avengers to an action packed sci-fi Hollywood adventure through a battle between superheroes and villains.

The Avengers revives a cast of recognizable superheroes from Marvel’s past film productions: The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Character personalities, scenes, actors and acting styles are retained from their associated hero films. The story is slow, but well developed throughout The Avengers to link intertextual connections to their past superhero films. Tony Stark from Iron Man returns with his enterprise Stark Industries utilizing his advanced futuristic technologies and powers. Thor’s evil step-brother Loki from the magical realm of Asgard returns from Thor as an evil villain to bring tyranny and destruction. Loki has an unimaginable power from his scepter to control and enslave the minds. His power gives him the ability to steal the cube of Tesseract – an ancient Asgardian artifact with unimaginable power from S.H.I.E.L.D to resurrect his army to control Earth. The Tesseract has previously appeared in the previous films Thor, Iron Man and Captain America: The First Avenger. The six superheroes combined create the ultimate superhero team called The Avengers to battle Thor’s evil step-brother Loki for the balance of power and the fight for Tesseract.

The role of each superhero is well defined by their personality and superhero abilities. Each superhero is easily recognizable by their distinct characteristic and personality. The actors project their superhero’s strengths to an astounding ability. The acting is superb and it takes seconds to recognize the superheroes from evil villains. The theatrical acting overwhelms the audience by the roles of each character and their independent importance to The Avengers.

Joss Whedon, the director of The Avengers takes the almost impossible challenge of combining different superhero’s personality to create a well balance film. He provides each superheroes and villain a time to shine and creates ease to the audience for differentiating the character’s roles and personalities throughout the film. Whedon merges character’s personalities with astounding sound and cinematography to heighten the audience’s illusion with realism and fantasy. The cinematography steals the audience’s attention and carries them through journey of entertainment filled with futuristic technological advances, explosive special effects and unstoppable action.

If you read superhero comics or take pleasure and enjoy action packed sci-fi films, The Avengers is the movie to see. It’s the all-time superhero film teamed up with all your best superheroes.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 387
RE: The Avengers – Review - 3/10/2012 1:01:33 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm abit skeptical when it comes to comic characters converted to the big-screen,as I feel the best medium for comic characters is still and will forever be Comics.

I was also skeptical in how the film will play with (arguably) 6 major Protagonist characters (Hulk,Thor,Widow,Hawkeye,IronMan,Nick Fury) and obviously not forgetting the villain of the film in Loki.
My feelings at the time was "this will be a convoluted mess" or "How in earth is this going to be pulled off" (yes,positive thinking on show there),suffice to say I was rightly put in my place/ways which I'm happy about because minor all my skepticism I was deeply wanting this film to succeed,and it has on oh so many levels (not least financially).

Ever since the Films quick-firing tempo to the introduction of the characters to the fire cracking ending, everything about this film screamed 'EPIC!',and it delivered as much.

The characters,good and evil, were introduced well,and throughout the film they didn't feel shoe-horned to there particular roles as all characters portrayed flexibility and ,above all else, depth.

There were scenes which were much needed in slowing the tempo down at times to let the audience get a breather and take in the stories direction and once this direction materialized the tempo was raised again and the audience were pushed in this all-out action manic ride.

The performances of everyone involved was heightened,especially Robert Downey Jnr who grew and grew into the film with every passing quip.

The CGI or visual style of the film was also greatly used.Arguably the finest use of CGI I have seen in a longtime as it embodied the mayhem of its situation remarkably well.Most Over the top CGI films have a tendency to get repetitive and bore me but,as said,this really was the exception.

Overal this film had everything going for it and it delivered.
When someone mentions "what is a blockbuster film?" Avengers will be the answer.
5/5

(in reply to LIBS 7014)
Post #: 388
5 starts - 4/12/2012 5:54:55 PM   
rcrofty7

Not sure what more this film had to do to warrant 5 stars.

Great film well acted, funny, emotional and put together well.

Post #: 389
Brilliant - 8/2/2013 10:32:19 PM   
Mr Gittes

As many have pointed out, this movie really shouldn't have worked. So since Whedon not only pulled it off, but pulled it off with such wit and style, this movie deserves 5 stars for that miracle alone. Just like with what made X2 so great, everybody is given a moment to shine in this movie yet it never feels like a clusterfuck. One of the very best comic book movies of all time. Very, very entertaining.

Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: DOWNEYJR'S BEST FILM Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI