Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Average Assembly

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Average Assembly Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Average Assembly - 7/5/2012 12:14:11 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I did enjoy the film but oddly enough, I didn't come out of the cinema with a great love for it. I think there was a slight uneveness with the overall pace of the film, long stretches of character moments with action interspersed in-between and then a big long action segment at the end. The humour was mostly funny but at the same time a little bit too obvious, perhaps slightly forced and I think some of it was trying to be a bit too clever. I'm guessing it's Joss Whedon's style, I'm not a fan of his and that doesn't mean I have a problem with him but I'm not overly familiar with his writing style and perhaps it just doesn't do much for me. It's odd, because I felt sometimes that I wasn't watching the characters as they've been set-up previously but as "Whedon's" characters which was a bit jarring. I didn't feel there was a sense of continuity in terms of the characters's language if that makes sense.

Tony Stark/Iron Man shone though and I liked the few scenes between him and Pepper Potts, nice to see the relationship developing. I thought Thor was good but again he seems to get the short shirft out of all the characters, he was just angry most of the time and I didn't feel we got a lot of character development from him. I was surprised with Hawkeye and especially Black Window. I think they developed and expanded upon her character quite nicely from Iron Man 2, where she felt like a third rate supporting character. Props to Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk, he's by far the best fit for the character and it seems they've thrown off the curse of the Hulk! However, the most interesting character for me was Steve Rogers/Captain America. I have to say despite my misgivings about the script, I think he worked exceptionally well. As I was concerned he would be upstaged by more colourful characters such as Iron Man. But the way they handled his character, his adjusting to being in the modern world and how he became a true leader was very well done. I agree with Sanchia, he seems a lot more potent in combat. As though he's more acrobatic and nimble, which wasn't really shown in his origin film. I really liked his first fight with Loki and his talk about when he was last in Germany. That was a nice touch.

The plot was fine but I did have a few problems with certain details. Captain America's awakening scene was just a two-second job. C'mon, the guy's been asleep for 70 years and yet we don't see his moment of 'rebirth'? I also think they skipped over Thor's arrival, with some off-hand explanation about Odin using 'dark magic', righto. And why did Whedon feel the need to kill of Coulson?. I think that was a miscalculation personally. I understand why he did it, as the driving force to unite the team, but it just felt wrong. Particularly after Clark Gregg has done such great work in gradually developing his character.. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm sure the scene where Hulk is fighting Thor on a lower deck of the helicarrier and he jumps onto that F-35 fighter jet was directly ripped off Hulk (2003) "you don't want to make me Ang Lee".

I thought the score by Alan Silvestri was functional. The main Avengers theme is good but the rest of the soundtrack just lacks bombast and a real punch. I felt the same with his work on Captain America, I think they ought to pick a new composer for the next Avengers film. Someone who can craft a more rousing theme, perhaps even develope 'sub-themes' for each character.

Overall a good film with some great moments but it just lacked the magic of Iron Man or Thor for me.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 7/5/2012 2:49:30 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 271
RE: Average Assembly - 7/5/2012 1:26:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

I am not sure just how big a threat the alien army was - Black Widow was pretty decent at taking them out, and Stark was able to shoot them down. It didn't look like there were enough of them to take over the world. But it was still fun seeing the heros take them out.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 272
RE: Average Assembly - 7/5/2012 1:55:03 PM   
warren7355

I agreem, but then I think the whole point of this film was to see the team come together and see how they mix and get along. The whole 'enemy army' thing is really just the icing on the cake for what the main draw of the film is, which is the Avengers themselves.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 273
RE: Average Assembly - 7/5/2012 1:55:15 PM   
warren7355

Double post. Damn, Empires forums are probably the buggiest I've ever come across.

< Message edited by warren7355 -- 7/5/2012 1:56:21 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 274
RE: Average Assembly - 7/5/2012 3:21:54 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I am not sure just how big a threat the alien army was - Black Widow was pretty decent at taking them out, and Stark was able to shoot them down. It didn't look like there were enough of them to take over the world. But it was still fun seeing the heros take them out.

Yeah I agree, they seemed to be swatted away quite easily. But I actually liked them, I liked their weapons and the armour and thosr flying dragon type things were interesting. I actually loved how Cap just kicked arse and that scene with him rescuing the hostages was nicely done, not to mention the team-up with Iron Man. But they all kicked arse and had their moment to shine. Particularly the Hulk. So I didn't find them quite so Shitauri as some did.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 275
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 4:02:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I did enjoy the film but oddly enough, I didn't come out of the cinema with a great love for it. I think there was a slight uneveness with the overall pace of the film, long stretches of character moments with action interspersed in-between and then a big long action segment at the end. The humour was mostly funny but at the same time a little bit too obvious, perhaps slightly forced and I think some of it was trying to be a bit too clever. I'm guessing it's Joss Whedon's style, I'm not a fan of his and that doesn't mean I have a problem with him but I'm not overly familiar with his writing style and perhaps it just doesn't do much for me. It's odd, because I felt sometimes that I wasn't watching the characters as they've been set-up previously but as "Whedon's" characters which was a bit jarring. I didn't feel there was a sense of continuity in terms of the characters's language if that makes sense.

Tony Stark/Iron Man shone though and I liked the few scenes between him and Pepper Potts, nice to see the relationship developing. I thought Thor was good but again he seems to get the short shirft out of all the characters, he was just angry most of the time and I didn't feel we got a lot of character development from him. I was surprised with Hawkeye and especially Black Window. I think they developed and expanded upon her character quite nicely from Iron Man 2, where she felt like a third rate supporting character. Props to Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk, he's by far the best fit for the character and it seems they've thrown off the curse of the Hulk! However, the most interesting character for me was Steve Rogers/Captain America. I have to say despite my misgivings about the script, I think he worked exceptionally well. As I was concerned he would be upstaged by more colourful characters such as Iron Man. But the way they handled his character, his adjusting to being in the modern world and how he became a true leader was very well done. I agree with Sanchia, he seems a lot more potent in combat. As though he's more acrobatic and nimble, which wasn't really shown in his origin film. I really liked his first fight with Loki and his talk about when he was last in Germany. That was a nice touch.

The plot was fine but I did have a few problems with certain details. Captain America's awakening scene was just a two-second job. C'mon, the guy's been asleep for 70 years and yet we don't see his moment of 'rebirth'? I also think they skipped over Thor's arrival, with some off-hand explanation about Odin using 'dark magic', righto. And why did Whedon feel the need to kill of Coulson?. I think that was a miscalculation personally. I understand why he did it, as the driving force to unite the team, but it just felt wrong. Particularly after Clark Gregg has done such great work in gradually developing his character.. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm sure the scene where Hulk is fighting Thor on a lower deck of the helicarrier and he jumps onto that F-35 fighter jet was directly ripped off Hulk (2003) "you don't want to make me Ang Lee".

I thought the score by Alan Silvestri was functional. The main Avengers theme is good but the rest of the soundtrack just lacks bombast and a real punch. I felt the same with his work on Captain America, I think they ought to pick a new composer for the next Avengers film. Someone who can craft a more rousing theme, perhaps even develope 'sub-themes' for each character.

Overall a good film with some great moments but it just lacked the magic of Iron Man or Thor for me.

Regarding your spoiler text- Whedon didn't want to kill Coulson, that was Marvel's idea. Whedon actually argued against it sying 'they are going to blame me for it' as he has a reputation for such things but Marvel insisted. Head of Marvel movie production Kevin Feige said this in in an interview with Empire's podcast. Also, the Hulk jumping onto the plane bit is from the comics, if I'm not mistaken. It's one of his 'moves'.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 7/5/2012 4:03:29 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 276
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 4:41:27 PM   
Private Hudson

I enjoyed The Avengers but thought it was merely good - 3 stars - and not great.

I enjoyed Captain America and Thor far more. It was always going to be difficult to weave a story with 6 main heroes and it did try its best, but aside from the truly marvellous Loki, the main problem was that the alien menace was simply rather weak.

We needed a bit more info on these new bad guys. Why did they want Earth? What were they going to do to humanity? Eat them as in V? They were pretty weak as a threat I felt.

However, Tom Hiddleston clearly has along career ahead of him as a bad guy. I thought Loki stole the show in Thor and I think he did the same again here, though naturally The Hulk ended up being the MOM (Man of the Match) for any non-footie fans on here.

I like Iron Man, but I don't think he should be the hero/leader as I find it hard to believe that a God like Thor would take orders from a man in a robot suit. Captain America is also perhaps the one who should be the lead character since he stands for everything good and he stands up to bullies of all sizes and nationalities (which is a good line).

Perhaps the next movie could get rid of Hawkeye and Black Widow as I think we would all rather concentrate on Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and of course The Hulk. Though still annoyed they never gave us The Hulk's signature line.

Joss Whedon has previous with the messy Alien Resurrection and patchy episodes of Buffy and Angel. But I did think here he did a good job.

I look forward to The Avengers 2.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

Post #: 277
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 4:54:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

We needed a bit more info on these new bad guys. Why did they want Earth? What were they going to do to humanity? Eat them as in V? They were pretty weak as a threat I felt.

They didn't, Loki wanted it to spite his brother. The Chitauri were helping Loki in exchange for the Tesseract.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 7/5/2012 5:00:49 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 278
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 5:39:46 PM   
Private Hudson

So what was going to happen to Earth?

We needed threats and conflict. A genuine worry that Earth and humanity were going to be in Big Trouble. Being ruled by Loki didn't show us his evil side.

Hopefully a better villain/dastardly plot will be in place for part 2. Though I do think Loki is superb, the aliens were, dare I say it, rubbish!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 279
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 9:17:00 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench
Regarding your spoiler text- Whedon didn't want to kill Coulson, that was Marvel's idea. Whedon actually argued against it saying 'they are going to blame me for it' as he has a reputation for such things but Marvel insisted. Head of Marvel movie production Kevin Feige said this in in an interview with Empire's podcast. Also, the Hulk jumping onto the plane bit is from the comics, if I'm not mistaken. It's one of his 'moves'.

Regardless of who came up with the idea, it was a bad call full-stop and wasn't necessary. He's proven he's not averse to slaying his 'beloved' characters anyway. As for the jet sequence, yes it's probably been done in the comics before. There's a 50-year or so history there, just like we expect him to say "Hulk smash!" in every film. But that exact scene almost felt like a facsimile of the 2003 film. The use of a similar fighter jet (F-35 not F/A-22) and just the whole mock-up of it felt too similar and familiar from a visual point of view.

Funnily enough, the Other reminded me both in terms of vocals and looks of the Ringwraiths from LotR:

Lord of the Rings: Conquest

*Spoilers* (bugger off if you don't want to be Ferrero Rocher'd)

As a little trivia, I think some may be aware there are deleted scenes for Cap. One such scene supposedly involves Rogers meeting Peggy for the first time post-deep freeze for a coffee. And the waitress who serves them is the same one that eyed him up and sung his praises at the end. I think they could pursue that further for his next solo film, although the likelihood is she won't return.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 7/5/2012 9:39:37 PM >

Post #: 280
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 10:45:06 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

So what was going to happen to Earth?

We needed threats and conflict. A genuine worry that Earth and humanity were going to be in Big Trouble. Being ruled by Loki didn't show us his evil side.

Hopefully a better villain/dastardly plot will be in place for part 2. Though I do think Loki is superb, the aliens were, dare I say it, rubbish!

Well given who they revealed just before the scrolling credits, I think that's a certainty.

I know what you mean that there feels like a lack of threat & conflict, but I reckon that's because Whedon & co chose to predominantly focus on the coming together of the assemble themselves rather than develop a brand new antagonist for them to worry about.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 281
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 7/5/2012 11:03:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Regardless of who came up with the idea, it was a bad call full-stop and wasn't necessary. He's proven he's not averse to slaying his 'beloved' characters anyway.

Well- It does matter who came up with the idea, because you wrongly attributed it to Joss. True he has done it before, but this time he didn't actually want to but as a director for hire, he couldn't really say 'no' could he? Plus, the reason they did it was to make the audience think nobody was safe. Now, I do agree with you that it was pointless as it's obvious they weren't going to kill Iron Man or Thor but I was just correcting you on who came up with the idea. Joss really should have come up with a different way to kill him that stabbing him through the chest, though. That seems to be his ''go to' death

Post #: 282
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 1:43:53 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Well- It does matter who came up with the idea, because you wrongly attributed it to Joss. True he has done it before, but this time he didn't actually want to but as a director for hire, he couldn't really say 'no' could he? Plus, the reason they did it was to make the audience think nobody was safe. Now, I do agree with you that it was pointless as it's obvious they weren't going to kill Iron Man or Thor but I was just correcting you on who came up with the idea. Joss really should have come up with a different way to kill him that stabbing him through the chest, though. That seems to be his ''go to' death .

Mhmm..but it's irrelevant. It would only matter if wrongly crediting the idea made a difference to my original point. My point was that it was just a bad decision, whoever made it is inconsequential because it ended up in the film anyway. Otherwise it's just erroneous detailing. Although someone of Whedon's standing would have enough sway with a producer if they really wanted to dig their heels in. Perhaps concessions were made elsewhere or he didn't want a repeat of the Norton affair and so went along with it. The irony is it fits with his history on dealing with such characters anyway. Nonetheless, it appeared in a film he directed and co-wrote. So in theory they have joint responsibility for it. Hmm?

Another common chest irritation:

"Palladium in the chest, painful way to die."

Post #: 283
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 2:05:16 AM   
Coyleone

Regarding the aliens, I didn't mind at all that they weren't a huge threat, the point was to see this team assemble for the first time and put their differences aside to unite and take out the threat to earth, be it minor or major. I thought it was done brilliantly and showed exactly what we wanted to see, the team kicking serious arse. I loved every second of it.

Post #: 284
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 10:07:36 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Anyone know anything about the other clip at the end of the credits that the US seem to have got?

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 285
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 10:24:31 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Anyone know anything about the other clip at the end of the credits that the US seem to have got?

Yep, its a gag in which (hidden text) the whole gang go for shawarma (end hidden text). Not sure if its been put on to UK prints yet, I'm sure that it will be when tickets drop in a couple of weeks tho.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 8/5/2012 10:25:04 AM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 286
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 10:32:46 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Mhmm..but it's irrelevant. It would only matter if wrongly crediting the idea made a difference to my original point. My point was that it was just a bad decision, whoever made it is inconsequential because it ended up in the film anyway. Otherwise it's just erroneous detailing. Although someone of Whedon's standing would have enough sway with a producer if they really wanted to dig their heels in. Perhaps concessions were made elsewhere or he didn't want a repeat of the Norton affair and so went along with it. The irony is it fits with his history on dealing with such characters anyway. Nonetheless, it appeared in a film he directed and co-wrote. So in theory they have joint responsibility for it. Hmm?

And I agree with you, was just pointing out who actually came up with the idea. It may be irrelevant but it's still true

Post #: 287
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 10:42:22 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Did you not catch the opening bit of the film, in which he brought down the SHIELD headquarters? Or what about the entirety of the final act, which was essentially an invasion of a major city orchestrated by him? Of course, the emphasis of the narrative in the final act wasn't on the attackers, but the Avengers, but the threat was still there (otherwise, what would they have been fighting?). He also killed a major character, pulled a mans eyeball out and called a woman a "quim", which are all pretty evil things to do in my book.

Post #: 288
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 10:48:11 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Did you not catch the opening bit of the film, in which he brought down the SHIELD headquarters? Or what about the entirety of the final act, which was essentially an invasion of a major city orchestrated by him? Of course, the emphasis of the narrative in the final act wasn't on the attackers, but the Avengers, but the threat was still there (otherwise, what would they have been fighting?). He also killed a major character, pulled a mans eyeball out and called a woman a "quim", which are all pretty evil things to do in my book.

Also, he would have killed that man that wouldn't kneel before him if Captain America hadn't turned up.

This is a God that wanted to subjugate a whole planet out of spite. Sounds like quite a threat to me.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 289
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 10:48:54 AM   
elab49

I think you need to add the 'mewling' 

It might have been short-hand, but I think the German side-mission and the wee man standing up were supposed to make very clear nods to Loki not being the nicest guy around.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 290
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 11:13:37 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think you need to add the 'mewling' 

Ha, I'm not quite sure what "mewling" means, but it actually kind of softens the "quim" part to me. I'm approaching this from the perspective of someone who has always been taught that the Q word is as bad as the C word and "Motherfucker" in terms of its place in the English language.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 291
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 12:01:00 PM   
shool

Saw this Sunday night, and it was totally great.
A thought it took a little while to find is stride, but when it did it bounded along.

Great Film for me 4/5

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 292
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 12:07:02 PM   
talpacino

The first film I've gone to see 3 times in the cinema since The Phantom Menace. Hopefully in 13 years I'll be fonder of this than I am of TPM.

It's still not perfect but I'm not sure what I'd change to be honest.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 293
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 12:13:31 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

And I agree with you, was just pointing out who actually came up with the idea. It may be irrelevant but it's still true

But still irrelevant. It ended up in a film he made, that's the end of it. If Captain America walked around with a pair of pink knickers, whether it would've been Whedon's idea or not. As he made the film, he'd share part of the blame. Peace out

"I can do this all day!"

quote:

Ha, I'm not quite sure what "mewling" means, but it actually kind of softens the "quim" part to me. I'm approaching this from the perspective of someone who has always been taught that the Q word is as bad as the C word and "Motherfucker" in terms of its place in the English language.

I think "mewling" means "moaning" or "whinging".

I do agree that the lack of threat or real menace the aliens had to the Avengers didn't make us feel they were ever in peril. Which was one purpose of killing off Coulson, and again rather pointless seeing as we know the Avengers will return in a "multi-picture deal". Kind of kills the suspense there.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 8/5/2012 12:22:07 PM >

Post #: 294
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 12:48:47 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

True, but you could say the exact same thing about Transformers: Dark Of The Moon and that contained about as much threat as a game of Snap.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 295
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 1:02:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

True, but you could say the exact same thing about Transformers: Dark Of The Moon and that contained about as much threat as a game of Snap.

They're different films though, and ones in which a vaguely similar situation is handled very differently. Its all about the execution of the scenario, and from my point of view it worked in Avengers, and didn't work in TF.* Similarity of the premise aside the two final acts are nothing alike.

*Theres a sense of geographical place and scale in Avengers that's completely lacking in TF, and there are a bunch of characters that have actual character Involved within the scenario for a start, as opposed to the tech-demo-esque screaming idiocy of TF.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 296
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 1:23:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

They're different films though, and ones in which a vaguely similar situation is handled very differently. Its all about the execution of the scenario, and from my point of view it worked in Avengers, and didn't work in TF.* Similarity of the premise aside the two final acts are nothing alike.

*Theres a sense of geographical place and scale in Avengers that's completely lacking in TF, and there are a bunch of characters that have actual character Involved within the scenario for a start, as opposed to the tech-demo-esque screaming idiocy of TF.

I'd agree with all of that and I pretty much loved The Avengers (apart form the length of some of the action scenes). My point was that just because the climax featured an invasion of a major city doesn't automatically give it a sense of real threat (as proven by Michael Bay's last abomination). And as much as The Avengers was on a completely different level to the likes of TF3 in terms of, well, everything, I personally didn't feel any more genuine peril - anonymous alien cannon-fodder on flying bikes vs anonymous robot cannon-fodder with metal beards.
Though the 'quim' bit shook me right up...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 297
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 2:14:50 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

My point was that just because the climax featured an invasion of a major city doesn't automatically give it a sense of real threat (as proven by Michael Bay's last abomination). And as much as The Avengers was on a completely different level to the likes of TF3 in terms of, well, everything, I personally didn't feel any more genuine peril - anonymous alien cannon-fodder on flying bikes vs anonymous robot cannon-fodder with metal beards.

As I said in my initial post though, there are a number of reasons that combine to create peril, you just chose to focus on one. It's not really fair to take one aspect of my argument out of context to try and push your own point. To reiterate, a number of things suggested Loki's evilness. Amongst them are - 1) the city battle. 2) The Germany sequence [both the crowd sequence and the eye-gauging). 3) the opening section, which displayed the destructive power of the cosmic cube. 4) The thing he did to that guy that we all like. The four of these things, combined with a number of other incidents that I haven't mentioned, come together to give a sense of peril.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 298
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 2:20:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

My point was that just because the climax featured an invasion of a major city doesn't automatically give it a sense of real threat (as proven by Michael Bay's last abomination). And as much as The Avengers was on a completely different level to the likes of TF3 in terms of, well, everything, I personally didn't feel any more genuine peril - anonymous alien cannon-fodder on flying bikes vs anonymous robot cannon-fodder with metal beards.

As I said in my initial post though, there are a number of reasons that combine to create peril, you just chose to focus on one. It's not really fair to take one aspect of my argument out of context to try and push your own point. To reiterate, a number of things suggested Loki's evilness. Amongst them are - 1) the city battle. 2) The Germany sequence [both the crowd sequence and the eye-gauging). 3) the opening section, which displayed the destructive power of the cosmic cube. 4) The thing he did to that guy that we all like. The four of these things, combined with a number of other incidents that I haven't mentioned, come together to give a sense of peril.

Not for me they didn't but then again, there aren't a hell of a lot of comic book movies that do, really.

Post #: 299
RE: The Avengers (2012) - 8/5/2012 2:21:55 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

Yup to all of this.

I'd also add that the fact that the human council felt the need to release a Nuke towards their own populace due to the level of peril was pretty key also.

Edit: But we always know its going to turn out alright though.

< Message edited by shool -- 8/5/2012 2:23:01 PM >

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Average Assembly Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI