Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ewan McGregor: A Viewer's Guide

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Ewan McGregor: A Viewer's Guide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ewan McGregor: A Viewer's Guide - 19/4/2012 9:21:55 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Why so short? - 19/4/2012 9:21:55 PM   
ZakE94

Though these lists tend to be interesting and valid, the bad thing about them is they always miss so many films worth mentioning about the actor.
For instance with McGregor, where are:
The Men Who Stare at Goats, Beginners, Star Wars I & II, The Island, I Love You Phillip Morris, Angels and Demons, Brassed Off, Miss Potter, etc. (Hell even Valient and Robots - or do they not count for a "viewer's guide" due to animation?)
???

They just seem to miss out a few pieces worth mentioning - especially last year's Oscar winning 'Beginners' and the brilliant 'The Men Who Stare at Goats'...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Some More - 19/4/2012 9:29:12 PM   
kisswithatear

Recommended: Beginners, Young Adam, I Love You Phillip Morris, The Men Who Stare At Goats. AVOID: Velvet Goldmine. Just... Oh man, I love the guy I do but... Oh man oh man. Also Angels and Demons in which he was a non-entity. But you nailed the Essentials. Trainspotting is enough to acknowledge this guy is and always will be a pretty big fucking deal.

Post #: 3
Johnny Lee Miller, not "Johnny Lewis Miller" - 19/4/2012 10:00:44 PM   
fiercehairdo

"Johnny Lewis Miller"??? Methinks you mean Johnny Lee Miller! For shame!

Post #: 4
Young Adam should be listed. - 19/4/2012 10:09:49 PM   
fiercehairdo

Young Adam should definitely have been on the list. Much better than Big Fish which is Burton on autopilot with extra sentimentality.

Post #: 5
A tad unfair... - 19/4/2012 10:22:35 PM   
Kained but Able

Surely his lightsaber fight with Maul redeems him somewhat?

Post #: 6
RE: A tad unfair... - 20/4/2012 6:11:07 AM   
Evil_Bob

Oh come on for gods sake. Its 2012. Its been 13 years. Have we not got over the initial knee-jerk reactions and realised that The Phantom Menace is not ACTUALLY the worst film ever made.
Especially seeing as you've alluded to the existence of Cassandra's Dream and The Island in the very same piece.
Even if you do misguidedly believe that this is THE worst film he's ever been in surely its just a cop-out to use TPM instead of drawing attention to these afore-mentioned stinkers. Y'know. Just for a bit of a variety.
Might even make a decent article.
Laziness. Pure bloody laziness.

By the way he's also been in Amelia, Blue Juice, Stormbreaker, Black Hawk Down and Velvet fucking Goldmine. All of which are total shite.

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to Kained but Able)
Post #: 7
RE: A tad unfair... - 20/4/2012 8:37:34 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evil_Bob

Oh come on for gods sake. Its 2012. Its been 13 years. Have we not got over the initial knee-jerk reactions and realised that The Phantom Menace is not ACTUALLY the worst film ever made.
Especially seeing as you've alluded to the existence of Cassandra's Dream and The Island in the very same piece.
Even if you do misguidedly believe that this is THE worst film he's ever been in surely its just a cop-out to use TPM instead of drawing attention to these afore-mentioned stinkers. Y'know. Just for a bit of a variety.

By the way he's also been in Amelia, Blue Juice, Stormbreaker, Black Hawk Down and Velvet fucking Goldmine. All of which are total shite.

All of the films you mentioned were infinitely better films than The Phantom Menace though...

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 8
Yes it is unfair ... - 20/4/2012 10:10:49 AM   
Nicky C

MacGregor didn't have a great deal to do in Phantom Menace so it's a bit bloody conceited, to be honest, to use one's own dislike of the movie against a supporting role. He simply is not the central character. AND he kicks ten tonnes of ass in the lightsaber duel (the best bit!). And he totally holds episodes 2 and 3 together if you ask me. Also, The Island should be either Recommended or One for the Fans. It's bonkers, non-sensical fun that turns into a perfume ad a couple of times (and there's nothing wrong with that), but Ewan's boyish charm and ability to mix naivety with impetuous vigour keeps the movie light and enjoyable.

Post #: 9
Empire, You have sold your soul - 20/4/2012 11:40:30 AM   
gazart

You have got to be kidding to pick that that as the the movie to be avoided. Although I only read through it just to confirm you did pick it. Too predictable you are these day. The day you 'altered' you star rating for the Star Wars Prequels was the day I had enough of your pandering to the vocal few who keep banging on about their raped childhood and stopped buying you magazine which I had been for years. I'd buy the things again if every few months you didn't wind me up with some stupid prequel jib. Give it a bloody rest. The re-release of the Phantom Menace to the average punter who has no strong childhood connection with the OT (I do by the way) just shows when you take away the insane hype from '99 the film stands very well next to any of the other SW film including the oh so 'sacred' originals. Get some perspective Empire and move on to something else and stop the digs every chance you get. YOu have no problem putting star wars on you cover... oh wait multiply covers per issue to shift a few more and then you drag this crap up every time to be cool it goes beyond just being entitled to you opinion. If you don't like it, which you did in 99 and Attack of the Clones review in 2002 again move on. You and Simon Peg need therapy!!!!

Post #: 10
Irvine Welsh......... - 20/4/2012 11:56:13 AM   
Tosh

...not Irving. For Shame!

Post #: 11
phillip morris - 20/4/2012 1:37:02 PM   
stucker

i personally though I Love You Phillip Morris was worthy of a nod. very good film

Post #: 12
RE: Empire, You have sold your soul - 20/4/2012 2:08:09 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazart

You have got to be kidding to pick that that as the the movie to be avoided. Although I only read through it just to confirm you did pick it. Too predictable you are these day. The day you 'altered' you star rating for the Star Wars Prequels was the day I had enough of your pandering to the vocal few who keep banging on about their raped childhood and stopped buying you magazine which I had been for years. I'd buy the things again if every few months you didn't wind me up with some stupid prequel jib. Give it a bloody rest. The re-release of the Phantom Menace to the average punter who has no strong childhood connection with the OT (I do by the way) just shows when you take away the insane hype from '99 the film stands very well next to any of the other SW film including the oh so 'sacred' originals. Get some perspective Empire and move on to something else and stop the digs every chance you get. YOu have no problem putting star wars on you cover... oh wait multiply covers per issue to shift a few more and then you drag this crap up every time to be cool it goes beyond just being entitled to you opinion. If you don't like it, which you did in 99 and Attack of the Clones review in 2002 again move on. You and Simon Peg need therapy!!!!

Are people not entitled to change their opinion of a film at a later date?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to gazart)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire, You have sold your soul - 20/4/2012 2:22:47 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazart

How exactly?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to gazart)
Post #: 14
Nightwatch - 20/4/2012 4:03:51 PM   
james riley

Personally I liked Nightwatch a lot
(not the russian vampire film)
also had Josh Brolin in I think

Post #: 15
Nightwatch - 20/4/2012 4:04:55 PM   
james riley

Post #: 16
Nightwatch - 20/4/2012 4:07:33 PM   
james riley

Post #: 17
Bollox - 20/4/2012 4:08:54 PM   
james riley

Sorry folks, I swear I only pressed enter once!

Post #: 18
Bollox - 20/4/2012 4:09:46 PM   
james riley

Post #: 19
Bollox - 20/4/2012 4:10:29 PM   
james riley

Post #: 20
Bollox - 20/4/2012 4:20:04 PM   
james riley

Post #: 21
RE: Bollox - 20/4/2012 5:11:47 PM   
JediBobster

I gotta agree with those who sighed at the sight of having Star Wars The Phantom Menace being the 'One to Avoid'. In 1999 Empire gave it 4 stars - quite rightly saying that it wasn't the second coming but it was a good blockbuster.

The demotion to 3 stars a little later on was expected and okay, fair enough. But then to go further and decide that TPM is a 2 star film in 3D was bollocks of the highest order. To say that TPM is the equivalent to Battleship is an insult of the highest order.

Now to see it pop up here is sad. Empire, I don't think this often but a little shame on you. Sure Ewan doesn't have a great deal to do, The Phantom Menace is Liam Neeson's film and by heck does he add some much needed class throughout the whole film. But Ewan/Obi-Wan is there ready to take over for Episodes II and III and as someone posted already he 'holds them together'.

And most of Empire's readers are far more likely to have seen and want to see The Phantom Menace than most of Ewan's filmography all truth be told. This article didn't really NEED a one to avoid, I'm not going to offer an alternative, heck even The Island entertained quite enough (and was certainly a damned sight better than what Michael Bay went on to deliver)

It's a shame because it does feel that Empire is straying from it's principles when you see a back-pedal such as this. There are some terrible films out there that deserve a kicking but The Phantom Menace, despite it's flaws, isn't actually one of them.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to james riley)
Post #: 22
RE: Bollox - 21/4/2012 7:17:23 AM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

quote:

All of the films you mentioned were infinitely better films than The Phantom Menace though...

Ever seen Velvet Goldmine?

Thought not

< Message edited by Evil_Bob -- 21/4/2012 7:18:11 AM >

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 23
RE: Bollox - 21/4/2012 12:57:04 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thought not

Yes I actually own it on DVD...why? whats your point?

(in reply to Evil_Bob)
Post #: 24
RE: Bollox - 21/4/2012 7:59:48 PM   
Evil_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thought not

Yes I actually own it on DVD...why? whats your point?

You....OWN....it on DVD????
*shudder*
Fair enough,
Carry on.

< Message edited by Evil_Bob -- 21/4/2012 8:00:44 PM >

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 25
Ghost WRiter - 23/4/2012 2:09:35 PM   
PaoloCorleone

Am I the only one who actually hated the Ghost Writer? maybe it shiould have been the one to avoid. I know people will fawn over it because it's Polanski and as good a director as he is, this was just plain boring, with very little tension. The only part that made me gow 'oh wow' was the ending, that and Brosnan's performance were the only good things about it

Post #: 26
C'mon - 25/4/2012 12:56:12 PM   
tyrunn

No one would have passed on Star Wars.

Post #: 27
A LIFE LESS ORDINARY? - 26/4/2012 9:19:25 AM   
hallbags

Ewan McGregor plays a really likeable character & the movie itself is border line hilarious. The scene he has with Delroy Lindo in the forrest where he's told to "dig" is played to perfection- no movie heroics whatsoever- exactly what most of us would do but funny as hell! A shockingly underrated movie! Give it another try!

Post #: 28
A LIFE LESS ORDINARY? - 26/4/2012 9:19:27 AM   
hallbags

Ewan McGregor plays a really likeable character & the movie itself is border line hilarious. The scene he has with Delroy Lindo in the forrest where he's told to "dig" is played to perfection- no movie heroics whatsoever- exactly what most of us would do but funny as hell! A shockingly underrated movie! Give it another try!

Post #: 29
'ONE TO AVOID'?! Oh, Brother... - 11/6/2012 1:25:53 AM   
Litshttam

The Phantom Menace is, in actuality, problem-reaction-solution in space. Jake Lloyd & Jar Jar Binks are corporate media patsies.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Ewan McGregor: A Viewer's Guide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI