Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What happens if Empire breaks an embargo

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> What happens if Empire breaks an embargo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What happens if Empire breaks an embargo - 19/4/2012 2:17:23 PM   
Scruffybobby

I'm finding it frustrating waiting to see a proper Avengers review. I realise one isn't up yet because of an embargo but what happens if Empire  or another publication breaks one? And why do studios impose them anyway?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 1
RE: What happens if Empire breaks an embargo - 19/4/2012 2:30:30 PM   
elab49

I guess so they don't get bad news trickling out over several weeks?

I'd also guess if they broke the embargo they would be banned from the next press screening from that company - if that's possible?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 2
RE: What happens if Empire breaks an embargo - 21/4/2012 11:47:25 AM   
adambatman82

As Elab says if you break an embargo you'd likely be blacklisted by the studio and their affiliations for a period of time. I know of two instances where this has happened, once involving myself! (although in my defence, I didn't break an embargo, because I got away with seeing an upcoming release without signing one).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: What happens if Empire breaks an embargo - 24/4/2012 11:37:18 AM   
Helen OHara

Studios like to be able to control their films, which is understandable. It's frustrating: in bad films, it stops us warning people in advance. For good films, we can't talk about it as soon as we want (and in the case of The Avengers, say, we REALLY wanted to shout it from the rooftops at once). But even where the news is good they want the crest of the wave of praise to coincide closely with release, hence embargoes.

And yes, studios can ban journalists who break them. They may also not screen future films at all (esp. where they think they're bad) or simply call and shout at us. We do try to negotiate against embargoes sometimes and get them altered or dropped, but it's often the studio's call.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 4
RE: What happens if Empire breaks an embargo - 30/4/2012 6:36:04 PM   
Scruffybobby

Thanks for the answers.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> What happens if Empire breaks an embargo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI