Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dishonored

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Dishonored Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dishonored - 18/4/2012 9:41:49 AM   
Olaf

It's a steampunk stealth action FPS from one of the guys behind the original Deus Ex and Thief: Deadly Shadows, design work from Viktor 'Half-Life 2' Antonov, and published by Bethesda. Looks like it could be pretty special: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/stunning-dishonored-cinematic-trailer

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Dishonored - 18/4/2012 9:56:50 AM   
talpacino

Damn you! Just going to post this. Looks and sounds brilliant.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 2
RE: Dishonored - 18/4/2012 10:01:51 AM   
st3veebee

Yeah saw the mini trailer on pcgamer yesterday: look svery interesting.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 3
RE: Dishonored - 22/4/2012 11:49:38 AM   
BigKovacs

'Revenge solves everything."

Nice.

I hope the game lives up to its trailer.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: Dishonored - 27/4/2012 10:22:11 AM   
borstal

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/122/1223769p1.html

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 5
RE: Dishonored - 29/6/2012 1:31:57 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just seen the trailer for this, definitely interested

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 6
RE: Dishonored - 19/9/2012 12:30:22 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Thought I'd bump this since Dishonored is released in just over 3 weeks. Amped for this game after watching all of the developer videos and trailers - I've been really impressed with the variety of different ways players can accomplish missions and the myriad of impacts your actions can cause. Along with that the steampunk, London hybrid aesthetic looks amazing.

This video is a great demonstration of the assassin Corvo's abilities:

Golden Cat Walkthrough

Definitely thinking of pre-ordering - hoping it lives up to the promise.

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 19/9/2012 12:32:58 PM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Dishonored - 19/9/2012 3:26:27 PM   
sroey

I will wait for reviews but it does look impressive. It could be one of those 'great but nobody buys' games...

Which is a shame really...

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 8
RE: Dishonored - 1/10/2012 1:19:49 PM   
From_Hell

I played the demo of this at Eurogamer Expo on Friday and wasn't really sold. It plays well, looks and sounds pretty enough but... I'm not sure... something was missing and it just left me a bit cold.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 9
RE: Dishonored - 8/10/2012 10:07:15 AM   
talpacino

So yeah, the reviews are fairly excellent so far. I won't have much gaming time until December but I might have to make room for this.

The Escapist: 5/5 - Dishonored gives you a beautiful, fascinating, new world to explore, and then makes it your playground for grand misdeeds. Its story of political intrigue and betrayal is told at exactly the right pace, balancing information with action in a way that keeps you interested, but not overloaded. Dishonored is smart enough to know not to try too hard to impress you, and as a result, it will blow you away.

IGN: 9.2 - It's a shame that Dishonored's story isn't greater than the sum of its decidedly memorable parts, but its gameplay absolutely is. Each mission is built as an elaborate network of choices for players to explore, and the same can be said for Corvo himself. Each player's selection of powers, perks and other upgrades will inform how they see and interact with this world, and no two play-throughs will be exactly the same. Dishonored is a game you'll talk with your friends about, and that you'll want to play multiple times. In this game there are always other paths to be taken and other challenges to conquer, and that's a refreshing thing indeed.

GameSpot: 9.0 - Dishonored's engrossing world and intoxicating interplay of supernatural powers make it a game you'll want to play more than once.

StrategyInformer: 9.0 - The plot may be straightforward but the level of detail in the world could inspire countless fan fiction stories. Some choices may not have the consequences you'd demand from Deus Ex or The Witcher but the vast majority do and they'll blow your mind - you remember that side-quest I told you about earlier that sent me to another map entirely? I returned to it later in the game and my actions had left it overrun with Weepers. Get immersed in the world of Dunwall, of Tall-Boys, Weepers, Outsiders, Bone Charms and Granny Rags and you'll be thinking about it long after the credits roll. Here's what you're going to do: buy Dishonored, put it on your system of choice, sit down, take your time, and play until Bioshock Infinite or Thief 4 comes out. But as far as I'm concerned, Irrational and Eidos Montreal really have to step up their game now Dishonored is here. Amazing.

Joystiq: 4.5 - What makes Dishonored great are the mechanics made possible by the universe in which it exists. There is a level of replayability and creativity available here that isn't seen in most stealth action games. You aren't just figuring out how you need to get from point A to point B, but how you want to get there. Dishonored is a chat room and water cooler game, the sort where you'll remember your own choices after the game ends. I may not know how Dunwall came to be, but you can bet I'll be talking with friends about the time I've spent there.

OXM US: 9.0 - Dishonored's vague morality and stealth systems can be slightly disarming, but thankfully, the game's barely the worse for it. During most of your stay in Dunwall, you'll be captivated by the unique gameplay, gorgeous art direction, and engaging gameworld. Arkane Studios has crafted what's likely the year's best new IP, and by tapping into elements of so many of this generation's greatest games, this adventure sneaks up, grabs you, and won't let go.

GamesRadar: 4.5 - Dishonored combines a beautiful, stylized world filled with colorful characters, and gameplay freedom to form a fantastic adventure that you will want to revisit again and again. The open-style missions--combined with the weapons and abilities--make a thrilling playground to explore, tough enemies present a significant challenge, and the multiple outcomes, characters, and setting create an exhilarating world to discover. Dishonored is a game that you won't want to miss.

Polygon: 9/10 - Dishonored succeeds, despite its late narrative missteps. With everything against it, Arkane has created a game with a unifying vision and design that stands apart from its contemporaries as something different. But more importantly, Dishonored succeeds as an ambitious game not content to take one thing and do it well. It demands more than most games ever will of its player, and gives more to players than most other games will ever manage

Destructoid: 9.0 - Dishonored is that game of 2012. It's the big intellectual property that comes to retail and shows up the competition by being bold, original, and -- more importantly -- brilliant. Easily deserving of its place among the BioShocks and the Borderlandses, Arkane's aggressive, non-aggressive, unsubtle, sneaky, thoroughly versatile tale of intrigue makes for the kind of game that reminds us this generation isn't all straightforward shooters and "me too" trend-seekers. Its level design is some of the very best, its willingness to let the player decide their own path is exhilarating, and the satisfaction gleaned from a mission well done leaves one hungry for more.

VideoGamer: 8 - This is a solid single-player adventure that lasts a good amount of time, but it's just a shame that Arkane Studios can't make more of Dishonored's obvious potential. There's plenty of posturing, and the occasional promise of greatness, but ultimately the only part of Dishonored that has any real point is the end of Corvo's blade.

GameTrailers: 8.7 - Dishonored gives up big patches of world to explore, secrets to uncover, people to kill or spare, and many ways to go about it all. It's an interesting and often invigorating experience: a stealth game not weighed down by genre conventions, a first-person shooter where you don't have to fire a shot and where jumping won't cause you to pull your hair out. But the intricacy of all its moving parts makes its quirks and blemishes all the more damning. With a tweaked plot, more thoughtful and varied pacing, and better swordplay to match the brilliance of blink, Dishonored would be a classic instead of being merely excellent.

GameInformer: 8.75 - Though I was frustrated by the chaos system and how it steers your actions, the heart of Dishonored is about being inventive, adaptable, and ruthless. The team at Arkane Studios has injected an array of cool possibilities into the simulated city of Dunwall, and discovering them all is a blast. When you come face-to-face with the people who wronged you, your only dilemma is deciding which poetic method of elimination will produce coolest result.

GiantBomb: 5/5 - Dishonored's greatest contribution to the genre games like Deus Ex helped establish will be best appreciated by those who've been with it from the start, but Arkane has made a game rooted in manipulating artificial intelligence that plays just as well to the guy or gal who wants to shoot stuff. That's impressive.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/371910/dishonored-review-round-up-critics-crown-game-of-the-year-contender/

Currahee!

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 10
RE: Dishonored - 13/10/2012 6:54:26 PM   
James2183

The game hasn't grabbed me as much as I would have hoped so far.

Far too hard to do a mission without killing someone, and when you do knock someone out your character is far too heavy handed when putting them down, I've already had multiple enemies shatter their skulls when putting them down.

Once you're on a mission there isn't much interaction with characters and it feels a bit linear at moment. I hope it improves

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 11
RE: Dishonored - 14/10/2012 10:44:28 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

Eh, just kneel down and drop them and they don't split open.

I'm really enjoying the little bit I've played, exploring the options before going in for the kill. It's like hitman meets bioshock I think

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 12
RE: Dishonored - 14/10/2012 11:22:35 PM   
steflon

never had anyone die from puttin them down!
an lovin this game, tho i've always loved the steathier sides of games, spending 5 mins behind a shrub watchin npc's rotation to find out the best way to get past them of kill them, sittn up on a ledge then droppin down for a kill then scrambling back up again so no one catches you. Only just noticed the bonus for not killing anyone, imma have to try some run through's with that in mind.

got a real Fallout3 vibe from it with the search and steal aspect, love just goin sneaky sneaky around a building just to steal all their shit...not sure what that says about me

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 13
RE: Dishonored - 14/10/2012 11:22:40 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Fantastic so far for me. Blink is such a cool power; having so much fun blinking up buildings and all over the place in general - it just offers so many different ways of taking out enemies and accomplishing missions when you have the ability to traverse environments almost entirely without limit.

Visuals are superb and the story is intriguing, can foresee myself replaying this quite a few times after completion.

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 14
RE: Dishonored - 15/10/2012 12:31:57 AM   
James2183

What is really annoying me is the lack of 'life' in the city. Unlike Skyrim the world seems to be a place where characters are merely waiting for me rather than going about their daily lives.

I've got quite far into this now and it has improved a bit. Disabling guards is easier with the new powers and some of the missions have been a little bit more inventive, but it's still not grabbed me. Some of the voice work is pretty good but I keep getting the same guards saying the same lines over and over and none of the characters I can warm with.

I can see why people will like this game but for me it's not won me over. I'll finish it up but wont be going back to it, I'll look forward to Hitman and Assassins Creed to feed my bloodlust I think,.

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 15
RE: Dishonored - 15/10/2012 11:36:24 AM   
talpacino

I've only just gotten out of the sewers so can't comment too much but I'm really liking it so far. I'm really taking my time with it. The atmosphere and style is great and it plays really well so far though I'm finding being stealthy a little awkward. I keep wishing I could go into 3rd person to take cover and watch enemies. I've heard this gets easier so I'm perhaps being a little hasty. But yeah, good game.

I thought before when watching the trailers that it had a sort of Ankh Morpork look to it and with the city watch as well reminded me of Terry Practhett so I'm kind of glad there's a few, what I hope are nods to himself.

Currahee!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 16
RE: Dishonored - 16/10/2012 1:44:59 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

What is really annoying me is the lack of 'life' in the city. Unlike Skyrim the world seems to be a place where characters are merely waiting for me rather than going about their daily lives.

If you immerse yourself into the story of the game however I would say the absence of extras milling about the levels makes more sense than if Dunwall were teeming with people. First there's the plague, which is both killing people rapidly, and I would have thought by extension that most people would be consigned to their homes. Second, it's apparent that Dunwall is ruled with an iron fist by an upper class dictatorship and the populace is ruled by fear of reproach from an oppressive regime. For these reasons that's perhaps why I'd suggest that Dunwall is not overly populated.

I can understand that some gamers like to feel the worlds they're inhabiting are fully populated but I think Dishonored differs from Skyrim in that it is not a totally open world and is driven more heavily by its central plot, as opposed to being a game in which the plot doesn't occur entirely sequentially.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 17
RE: Dishonored - 16/10/2012 10:25:00 PM   
James2183

It's not that the game doesn't have survivors but that the people in the game are just standing around waiting for you to talk to them rather than trying to live in the game.

Anyway, I finished the game earlier tonight with low chaos. Thoroughly disappointing game overall. The ending feels very tacked on and similar to Bioshock with its short ending, to the point where the soundtrack stopped halfway through the credits.

6/10 can't wait to get rid and trade it for Hitman and/or Assassins Creed 3

Post #: 18
RE: Dishonored - 16/10/2012 10:48:48 PM   
directorscut

quote:

It's not that the game doesn't have survivors but that the people in the game are just standing around waiting for you to talk to them rather than trying to live in the game.

Anyway, I finished the game earlier tonight with low chaos. Thoroughly disappointing game overall. The ending feels very tacked on and similar to Bioshock with its short ending, to the point where the soundtrack stopped halfway through the credits.

I'll give you 5 for it if you chuck in free P&P.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 19
RE: Dishonored - 17/10/2012 3:22:56 PM   
talpacino

quote:

I think I remember you not liking Bioshock either so I'm still very hopeful.

I need to get more time at this.

Currahee!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 20
RE: Dishonored - 18/10/2012 9:29:11 AM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

I'll give you 5 for it if you chuck in free P&P.

That's not far off what Game are willing to trade me for it

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 21
RE: Dishonored - 14/1/2013 3:12:53 PM   
AxlReznor

I got this game for Christmas, and I really haven't gotten very far (I've just started the second mission), but I've really enjoyed playing it so far. I've been having fun with Blink - when a guard sees you, and starts running towards you, it's fun to Blink behind them, watch their confused reaction, and then creep up and knock them out/stab them in the neck.
I'm not very good at being stealthy, but this seems to be the best way to play this game, which is why I haven't gotten very far, because I've been taking my time with trial and error. The gameplay, the multitude of options available to you, and what seems to me to be a rich fictional setting with an interesting history and lore, it's one of my favourite games to play in a while.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 22
RE: Dishonored - 26/1/2013 7:55:08 PM   
kata

Just started playing this, pretty good so far.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

It's a steampunk stealth action FPS from one of the guys behind the original Deus Ex and Thief: Deadly Shadows, design work from Viktor 'Half-Life 2' Antonov,

I can see influences from all 3 of those and I'm still in the sewers. High hopes for this one.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 23
RE: Dishonored - 1/2/2013 8:04:26 AM   
Peter Griffin

After i've finished Borderlands this is next on my list, can't wait.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 24
RE: Dishonored - 1/2/2013 11:31:37 AM   
From_Hell

I was given this for Christmas and it's been sat on my shelf, sealed, since then. The demo didn't do much for me, and I've no interest in playing it, so I might just offer it up for swaps in the swap thread...

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 25
RE: Dishonored - 1/2/2013 11:32:55 AM   
AxlReznor

Just be aware that it's not the kind of game where a demo can do it justice.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 26
RE: Dishonored - 1/2/2013 1:27:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I kind of got bored by this, then it got reaaally hard all of a sudden which me off even more. It just feels like it's ripped all of its cool stuff from other/ better games.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 27
RE: Dishonored - 4/2/2013 12:44:29 PM   
sroey

Gotta say - even though I am still in the sewers, the atmosphere & art direction is superb.

I did struggle in my stealth approach when I got out of the prison - I found it hard not to kill everyone!?!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28
RE: Dishonored - 4/2/2013 12:49:09 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Gotta say - even though I am still in the sewers, the atmosphere & art direction is superb.

I did struggle in my stealth approach when I got out of the prison - I found it hard not to kill everyone!?!

Me too, but I've found the stealth far easier since getting some powers. Blink is the first one you get and it's a Godsend.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 29
RE: Dishonored - 4/2/2013 6:24:19 PM   
spamandham

Your play style changes the ending. More killing = worse ending.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Dishonored Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI