Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

BATTLESHIP

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> BATTLESHIP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BATTLESHIP - 15/4/2012 5:32:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I would say this is the most fun i've had at the cinema so far this year, but as this is only the 2nd movie i've seen theatrically in 2012 perhaps that wouldnt be right (the other was John Carter and i loved that too). Peter berg has really nailed the fun summer blockbuster with this one. It feels straight out of the 90's (a very good thing IMO) but with 21st Century visual FX and camera work. I think taylor Kitsch was superb in the lead. I thought he was good in John carter but even better in this. I hope he'll go on to become a consistent leading man (although John carters box office failure may prove otherwise). The rest of the cast is fun, particularly the guy who looks like a blonde matt Damon, his performance was pretty funny. Speaking of funny i thought the humour was great in this, the movie definitely doesn't take itself seriously and it shows.

The scale and action set pieces also deliver in spades and this movie has some of the best visual FX and action i've seen in a good while. Obviously Berg has used the Transformers movies as a template for this and it clearly shows, but i think this is more than Bay-lite as Battleship doesn't feel as bloated as the 2nd two TF movies. The humour is never crass either.

best moments for me were the starting up of the battleship with the geriatric crew and the long one take shot as the spinning death wheels take out their ship and in one (seemingly) unbroken shot we see all of our principal characters abandon ship, with the camera going from on board, to over the water tracking lifeboats, to underwater, to back onto the ship as one end lifts high up and two of our heroes have to jump off the tip just before the ship splits in half vertically. A very cool FX shot, really impressed.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 29/9/2012 1:52:10 AM >

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: Battleship - 15/4/2012 5:34:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

Glad to see you enjoyed it DK!

I was not a fan myself, but always fun to see you when you enjoy a movie!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: Battleship - 15/4/2012 5:43:57 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Glad to see you enjoyed it DK!

I was not a fan myself, but always fun to see you when you enjoy a movie!

Well that's cool, shame you didn't enjoy it much but each to their own! I'm certainly not going to try and tell anyone theyre wrong for thinking its a bad movie or for not liking it as we all see things differently. I think when it comes to dumb high concept extravaganzas, this is the dumb, high concept extravaganza done well. It was funny! Empire were totally wrong saying it was po faced and had no humour, that is so not the case. I really think that Kistch shone through here, but i also thought he was good in John Carter. It would be a shame if his career was stalled by JC and then if Battleship doesnt do great. Perhaps this will be a big international hit, i'm never that good at tracking box office though.

I've liked Berg's stuff quite a bit, i think The Rundown is a real fun action movie (albeit let down by an annoying performance from Seann William Scott) and i absolutely love The Kingdom. I'm not a fan of shaky cam per se but i actually did like the fact that the smaller scuffles were shot with handheld cam, whilst the larger destruction was glouriously helicopter shots and stylish CG camera moves. If i was a movie maker this is the kind of fun movie i'd like to make (of course now you're all delighted i'll never be a movie maker! ) but it was perfect blockbuster entertainment for me.

I also loved the aliens design, even if sans mask they did look a bit I Am Legend CG ish.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Battleship - 16/4/2012 7:56:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

Has Mark Kermode torn this film apart yet? Im always up for one of his rants.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 4
RE: Battleship - 16/4/2012 9:08:18 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Mark who? Seriously though, i'm sure he must've loved this movie

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 5
RE: Battleship - 16/4/2012 11:04:30 PM   
Whistler

We might not get to hear Mark's review 'cause he and Mayo were off for two weeks Unless it's on their BBC site, I don't know...

Post #: 6
RE: Battleship - 17/4/2012 1:29:09 PM   
MartinBlank76

I am a big fan of cheesy blockbusters and even if I go through a period of seeing below par ones, I cant help but feel compelled to keep going to them. So Battleship is up next! I loved John Carter and am hoping this is another 'negative press good movie' type thing.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
RE: Battleship - 17/4/2012 3:57:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Kurt, love your 'geek out' for Battleship!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 8
RE: Battleship - 17/4/2012 8:21:10 PM   
ukacidman

a Terrible, Terrible movie.. . dont go and see it. or you will regret paying out movie to see this pile of tosh

" WAKE UP TIME TO DIE
"
last 5 cinema visits 2013
The Great Gatsby 7/10
Star Trek into darkness - 8/10
Iron Man 3 ( 8/10)
Good Vibrations 8/10
Cloude Atlas 7/10

Post #: 9
RE: Battleship - 22/4/2012 8:19:50 PM   
MartinBlank76

Well its only april and thats already two blockbusters I have really enjoyed this year and both have starred Taylor Kitsch. He seemed more comfortable here than in John Carter even though I think it was the better film. But I really really enjoyed this, so much fun, it was like a michael bay film without the faults that usually come accustomed with that.

It had all the right ingredients of a good cheesy blockbuster, plenty of action, humour and set up the characters well and made you feel something for them. According to the rules of cheesy blockbusters that is. And as cheesy blockbusters go, this was one of the best.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.
Post #: 10
RE: Battleship - 22/4/2012 8:22:55 PM   
MartinBlank76

Best moments of cheese:

SPOILERS!!!!!!

The fact that not only the old battleship had to be pressed into action but so did the old soldiers.

Soldier guy with the artificial legs kicking alien ass. And he just happens to have hoppers girlfriend with him to help.

The alien having his teeth knocked out in slow motion.

Post #: 11
RE: Battleship - 3/6/2012 12:17:35 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Agree with the above!

Cannot wait to watch this again on Blu Ray, it's gonna look so awesome. Got my steelbook pre-ordered.

Post #: 12
RE: Battleship - 3/6/2012 12:54:50 AM   
Hood_Man

I enjoyed this film quite a lot in places.

I'm still convinced I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find out it was the most expensive Punk'd in history mind

Post #: 13
RE: Battleship - 21/8/2012 1:50:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So i bought this yesterday, twice. What i mean is, my steelbook turned up in the post yesterday and i also purchased the slipcovered amray at HMV. I love this movie so much! I rewatched it last night and it gave my new home theatre system one hell of a work out. The sound is absolutely staggering and LOUD to almost ridiculous degrees. The pic quality is reference material also.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 14
RE: Battleship - 21/8/2012 10:57:56 PM   
Dirk Miggler

It's a ridiculously inoffensive, cheesefest of a film ! I fckin loved it ! and, it's got an old school hard rock "tool up" montage. What's not to like ?

Post #: 15
RE: Battleship - 23/8/2012 10:49:28 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Awesome looking Steelbook for this one, although i haven't opened mine yet:

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 16
RE: Battleship - 4/9/2012 11:27:09 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Awesome looking Steelbook for this one, although i haven't opened mine yet:

DK i think you are this films only hope of ever making its money back!

By the way, how do you find that ultraviolet digital copy stuff? I really hate it cos its not Itunes compatible.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 17
RE: Battleship - 4/9/2012 11:39:22 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'll just keep buying copies until they greenlight a sequel!

In all honesty i've never used them and never will. Never used any digital copy ever. Don't see the point in watching movies i've bought on blu ray in Standard Def really. I'm not much of an apple fan anyway, so something not being itunes compatible wouldn't surprise me/ bother me!

I guess digital copies are a good idea for those who like watching movies on the train or something, but i can't see any point in them for me personally.

Post #: 18
RE: Battleship - 5/9/2012 10:37:05 PM   
Joe Cohen

I haven't seen this movie. Is it any good? I know it flopped.

Post #: 19
RE: Battleship - 5/9/2012 11:08:37 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Let me offer you my perspective:

Yes, it's excellent. By far the best movie i have seen this year (please bear in mind my favourite genres are action and horror). IMHO it's the absolute perfect summer blockbuster, with staggeringly good action and FX, fun characters, a great script with really funny moments throughout and absolutely wonderful direction from Peter Berg who knew exactly what kind of movie he was making. I would compare it to the first Transformers in terms of quality, although i think it's better than that. I would also cite Transformers 1 as perfect summer blockbuster material.

(in reply to Joe Cohen)
Post #: 20
RE: Battleship - 6/9/2012 8:15:23 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Yes, it's excellent. By far the best movie i have seen this year (please bear in mind my favourite genres are action and horror). IMHO it's the absolute perfect summer blockbuster, with staggeringly good action and FX, fun characters, a great script with really funny moments throughout and absolutely wonderful direction from Peter Berg who knew exactly what kind of movie he was making. I would compare it to the first Transformers in terms of quality, although i think it's better than that. I would also cite Transformers 1 as perfect summer blockbuster material.

Post #: 21
RE: Battleship - 7/9/2012 1:12:10 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

I would also cite Jaws as perfect summer blockbuster material! Am i forgiven?

Post #: 22
BATTLESHIP - 29/9/2012 1:51:25 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Kaboom. Oh how i wish Battleship had hit big this summer. Very rarely do i have this much fun whilst watching a movie. I hope Peter Berg can return to epic scale action again, although after the lack of success of this movie, it may be a while

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 29/9/2012 1:52:45 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: BATTLESHIP - 14/10/2012 1:39:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Saw it today and I loved it! It can now join the likes of Van Helsing, Sahara and John Carter as films I wish would get a sequel but I know it'll never happen.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 24
RE: BATTLESHIP - 14/10/2012 3:31:34 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Saw it today and I loved it! It can now join the likes of Van Helsing, Sahara and John Carter as films I wish would get a sequel but I know it'll never happen.

And there are some of us who would say thank God for that, although I must admit that I thought Sahara was OK.
I'm somewhat bemused, Gimli, because I generally have a lot of respect for your taste and opinion, but how can you love a film which is so obviously aimed at an audience with IQs pretty much equal to their shoe sizes?

< Message edited by siegfried -- 14/10/2012 5:11:08 AM >

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 25
RE: BATTLESHIP - 14/10/2012 5:44:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I love big, dumb, cheesy blockbusters and this is exactly that. Explosions and an excessive amount of hero shots are sometimes just the ticket. There are films far worse than this that I also love.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 26
RE: BATTLESHIP - 14/10/2012 6:29:15 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried
And there are some of us who would say thank God for that, although I must admit that I thought Sahara was OK.
I'm somewhat bemused, Gimli, because I generally have a lot of respect for your taste and opinion, but how can you love a film which is so obviously aimed at an audience with IQs pretty much equal to their shoe sizes?

Maybe she knows a lot of people from Korea?

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 27
RE: BATTLESHIP - 14/10/2012 9:13:06 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I love big, dumb, cheesy blockbusters and this is exactly that. Explosions and an excessive amount of hero shots are sometimes just the ticket. There are films far worse than this that I also love.

Fair enough, I guess we all have our guilty pleasures.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 28
RE: BATTLESHIP - 14/10/2012 12:47:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Glad you enjoyed it Gimli! This pushes all the right buttons and then some.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 29
RE: BATTLESHIP - 16/10/2012 1:13:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

A very valuable contribution to the thread

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> BATTLESHIP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI