Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

TV advertisements at the cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> TV advertisements at the cinema Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 2:50:03 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Sorry in advance if this topic has been brought up. I did a serach for TV ads in the search bar and nothing showed up.

TV ads at the cinema, more so than high ticket prices is mainly what puts me off going the flicks as much as I used to. I think the record for the longest I've had to sit through ads before we even get to the film trailers was for Avatar and it was half an hour. My friend works at the Odeon. I'd heard the norm is 25 minutes, again before you even get to the film trailers. It's a trend that just pisses me off so much. Anyone else get annoyed by this? I know, I could just come into the film when the TV ads are over but honestly sometimes it can be a gamble and the film's just about or worst case has started.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***
Post #: 1
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 2:52:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Sorry in advance if this topic has been brought up. I did a serach for TV ads in the search bar and nothing showed up.

TV ads at the cinema, more so than high ticket prices is mainly what puts me off going the flicks as much as I used to. I think the record for the longest I've had to sit through ads before we even get to the film trailers was for Avatar and it was half an hour. My friend works at the Odeon. I'd heard the norm is 25 minutes, again before you even get to the film trailers. It's a trend that just pisses me off so much. Anyone else get annoyed by this? I know, I could just come into the film when the TV ads are over but honestly sometimes it can be a gamble and the film's just about or worst case has started.

Agree.
What also pisses me off are over-long trailers.
Theres some film trailers where I thought "Well,no point seeing the film now".

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 2
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:05:07 PM   
elab49

It used to be 10-15 minutes at the most years ago, and most of the time it does seem to be that, but when I went to one film at Cineworld last year it was about half an hour after the start that the film finally came on. I wondered if it changed depending on time of day? 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 3
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:19:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

When I saw Cabin in the Woods on Friday, the total amount of adverts and trailers was roughly 10 minutes. And there was no BBFC card with the certificate on it, the film just started after the unfunny Orange 'switch of your mobile' sketch. Is the on-showing of the BBFC card a new thing? (haven't been to the cinema in a while before Friday)

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:19:50 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I'm not sure Elab but it's a bloody shame. I used to go the flicks once a week. Loved it but now I just can't be arsed sitting through all those ads. Say a film starts a 7pm but it's only on for a hour and a half you're looking at a 9p.m. finish. Really annoys me. I can't see it getting any better.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:20:34 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

When I saw Cabin in the Woods on Friday, the total amount of adverts and trailers was roughly 10 minutes. And there was no BBFC card with the certificate on it, the film just started after the unfunny Orange 'switch of your mobile' sketch. Is the on-showing of the BBFC card a new thing? (haven't been to the cinema in a while before Friday)

Bloody hell where did you go to see it? Your mates garage?

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 6
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:24:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

It was a 12.15pm showing at a Vue cinema. The longest trailer was for Silent House which seemed to give the entire film away while it wanked on about it being in real time.

Post #: 7
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:31:48 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I think the worse is when you get something along the lines of...

-TV ads 20 mins
-Cinema 'Odeon' club card or something 1.50 min
- Public appeal from Ewan McG or Simon Pegg telling us how wrong piracy is. (Yes we know, please fuck off so the film can get started!) 2.min
Movie trailers 6 min
-Orange skit. 2.min

Back in the day, you went in, got a "Lets All Go To The Lobby" like ad, movie trailers and then BAM right into the film!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 8
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:34:05 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It used to be 10-15 minutes at the most years ago, and most of the time it does seem to be that, but when I went to one film at Cineworld last year it was about half an hour after the start that the film finally came on. I wondered if it changed depending on time of day?

It depends on a lot of factors, but it won't be changed during the day. The adverts are sent by the advertising company (Pearl & Dean, DCM etc.) as a set list for each film contracted to show ads, and not all films will show an ad reel. Typically, a film that is showing last in any given screen will have an ad reel, while a film showing in a single matinee a day may just have e.g. the Orange ad and some trailers. How many ads there are depends on whether it is school holidays, the popularity of the film (Titanic ads will be, er, titanic. Eddie Murphy films, not so much), the general time of year etc. You can guarantee if it school holidays and a big release such as Avengers there'll be a good 20-25mins of ads these days.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:39:57 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It's a awful tradition though. I suppose cinemas need it to get money ( I don't know, I could be wrong). That said if the ticket prices keep climbing who knows if the flicks will be the norm in a few decades from now. The prices don't bother me so much, as I've said it's the TV ads but I know many people who don't go as much due to the ticket prices.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 10
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 3:44:05 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

my biggest bugbear is these ads that promote a product in relation to the film youre about to watch and proceed to show footage from the movie youre about to watch just before you watch it!!!! Gah i hate that. It happened loads with Bond and their watch tie ins, and when i went to see John Carter it did the same, promoting some competition or other. I dont need to see footage from the movie/ trailer bits for the movie ive come to see mere moments before it starts.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 11
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 4:02:58 PM   
superdan

quote:

It's a awful tradition though. I suppose cinemas need it to get money ( I don't know, I could be wrong). That said if the ticket prices keep climbing who knows if the flicks will be the norm in a few decades from now. The prices don't bother me so much, as I've said it's the TV ads but I know many people who don't go as much due to the ticket prices.

It's important revenue for cinemas, and the larger the chain the more clout they have and therefore the more ads they'll generally show. Ticket prices are more of a distributor thing, cinemas will typically make little-to-no money from ticket sales for the first few weeks at least.

Post #: 12
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 4:06:06 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It depends on a lot of factors, but it won't be changed during the day. The adverts are sent by the advertising company (Pearl & Dean, DCM etc.) as a set list for each film contracted to show ads, and not all films will show an ad reel. Typically, a film that is showing last in any given screen will have an ad reel, while a film showing in a single matinee a day may just have e.g. the Orange ad and some trailers. How many ads there are depends on whether it is school holidays, the popularity of the film (Titanic ads will be, er, titanic. Eddie Murphy films, not so much), the general time of year etc. You can guarantee if it school holidays and a big release such as Avengers there'll be a good 20-25mins of ads these days.

We've had a think and we think it was Tinker Tailor. It was definitely Cineworld. Normally I try to get into the theatre 5 or so minutes after start time at Cineworld but this was just silly. It's interesting to know it wouldn't have mattered where I saw it though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 13
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 4:30:35 PM   
Hood_Man

I remember waiting 30 minutes before the trailers even started once, I think it was for The Two Towers.

And then halfway through they had an intermission

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 4:36:51 PM   
elab49

I haven't seen one of those since Cry Freedom! Now they just throw 3 odd hours at you without blinking 

quote:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 15
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 5:33:05 PM   
steffols

We had an intermission halfway through POTC 3. It was the worst cut I've ever seen. Right in the middle of a scene it just cut out with no warning. The only reason we knew there was an intermission was a sign on the door of the screen.

TV ads at the cinema is one of the main reasons I don't go to the cinema much these days. I get so agitated sitting there being forced to watch these adverts I've seen a million times already on TV that it really shortens my temper. Last time however, when we went to see Chronicle, there was the longest trailer I have ever seen for that spy comedy with Reece Witherspoon. I'm not joking when I say it went on for a good ten minutes. There was entire scenes of the film in it! At one point I turned round and said 'are we in the right screen?'. I just couldn't believe a trailer could be so long!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 5:46:00 PM   
Hood_Man

This cinema I went to that did the Intermission had a habit of doing it for longer films, and sometimes even for films that were only slightly longer than 2 hours. It ruined the film and yet whenever they did it I'd always hear several people around me going "Oh isn't that lovely?" "Oh they did that in the good old days!"

You get one guess as to why I'm describing that place in the past tense

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 17
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 5:46:04 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

I'd heard the norm is 25 minutes, again before you even get to the film trailers.

At my local World Of Cine its usually 20 to 25 minutes including trailers, sometimes can be less though. Me and Ninj usually try to get in early just so I can get my favourite seat (aisle seat on the right, about halfway up) so we just kind of put up with the ads, better than coming in late and having to pick a shite seat stuck between some chavs.

As for intermissions the Dominion cinema in Morningside is the only one I know of that still does them although usually only for films that are plus the two hour mark. I'm not sure if they do it for nostalgic sake, to get people to buy more junk in the lobby or if its one of those old projectors that overheat. Saw intermissions for the LOTR:Fellowship and TDK, both were quite well placed.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 16/4/2012 3:11:21 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 18
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 6:51:10 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Just seen this. Sounds like whoever built the playlist for the film forgot to put the cert in (it's often a separate file to the main feature). It's what happens when shit like that is left to people who aren't projectionists.

Post #: 19
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 7:00:55 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, I thought something was off. The aspect ratio was wrong for the first 5 minutes of the film too until it was spotted and rectified.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 20
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 15/4/2012 11:44:52 PM   
kumar

I find what is worse is that if ever i go to the cinema with a group of friends (more often than not... not that i actually go that much) , they use the excuse "oh it wont have even started yet!!" so they take their time with anything that bloody want while all the half decent seats get mopped up

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 21
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 16/4/2012 4:41:38 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Agree.
What also pisses me off are over-long trailers.
Theres some film trailers where I thought "Well,no point seeing the film now".

I feel this way every time I see the trailer for Contraband. That thing goes on forever.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 22
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 16/4/2012 4:49:46 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

I find what is worse is that if ever i go to the cinema with a group of friends (more often than not... not that i actually go that much) , they use the excuse "oh it wont have even started yet!!" so they take their time with anything that bloody want while all the half decent seats get mopped up

Leave them and go in yourself. I've done that a few times and ended up with a great seat whilst they end up sitting in the front, looking up for 2 hours and leaving with a stiff neck. 6+ a ticket is far too costly to allow my friends to fuck up my viewing experience.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 23
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 10:57:20 AM   
themightyhutch

I hate the Ray Winstone one advertising advertising at the cinema. Because obviously everyone wants more of that. Annoyance squared.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 24
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 11:33:33 AM   
st3veebee

Cabin in the Woods on Friday went something like this: ten minutes of ads then about 10 minutes of trailers.

I personally love the trailers (Pirnaha 3DD made me laugh a fair amount) but could obviously do without the standard adverisments beforehand....and the constant anti-piracy ads- I've just paid to sit down at the cinema and watch this film, please shut the fudge up and let me watch it or I WILL go home and download it for free....without anti piracy ads.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 25
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 12:53:40 PM   
UTB

I've not been to the cinema for a while, but one thing the TV ads does do is give everyone time to settle down.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 26
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 12:54:41 PM   
MartinBlank76

Round my way its generally 5ish minutes or so of ads for the local arthouse cinema before the film starts.

Multiplexes its around 15 minutes except for odeon which usually pushes for 20-25 (except for the one time recently when I was kinda running late, then it started quicker!). The worst I have experienced was before Body of Lies which was 30 minutes in the odeon after it should have started.

I know there are overheads and money going to the studios and whatnot but cinemas really rip the piss out of it these days with tickets prices, on top of ridicolous prices for food and then the 3 million adverts you have to sit through. And for me the worst thing of all, despite all the money the customer spends, rarely are the screens checked by staff to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience. In one of my local multiplexes some of the screens are that far away from the foyer you have to walk for a couple of minutes to find a member of staff to complain to. Well, it feels like a couple of minutes anyway.

Does anyone know the situation in the states? I swear I was listening to them talking about this on slashfilmcast and I think they said if it was more than 5 minutes after the film was meant to be started and the ads were still going it would be unusual?

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 27
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 12:56:39 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

At my local World Of Cine its usually 20 to 25 minutes including trailers, sometimes can be less though. Me and Ninj usually try to get in early just so I can get my favourite seat (aisle seat on the right, about halfway up) so we just kind of put up with the ads, better than coming in late and having to pick a shite seat stuck between some chavs.

As for intermissions the Dominion cinema in Morningside is the only one I know of that still does them although usually only for films that are plus the two hour mark. I'm not sure if they do it for nostalgic sake, to get people to buy more junk in the lobby or if its one of those old projectors that overheat. Saw intermissions for the LOTR:Fellowship and TDK, both were quite well placed.

Thats my seat too!

Well, halfway up, aisle seat. Left or right I dont mind.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 28
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 1:05:24 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76
I know there are overheads and money going to the studios and whatnot but cinemas really rip the piss out of it these days with tickets prices,

Again, ticket prices are usually a by-product of studio demands. While some cinemas may charge more for their tickets than a local competitor to bump up their income, they'll still get a relatively small amount of that for themselves as studios usually take percentages rather than set amounts. This is on top of the rental charge the cinema pays for the film itself. There are cases where the studios have demanded (and got) 100% of ticket revenue for the opening weeks of some films, which is why you have:
quote:

ridicolous prices for food and then the 3 million adverts you have to sit through

As this is how a cinema makes it's money. If no-one who went to the cinema bought food, there'd be no cinemas. It's as simple as that.

quote:

And for me the worst thing of all, despite all the money the customer spends, rarely are the screens checked by staff to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience. In one of my local multiplexes some of the screens are that far away from the foyer you have to walk for a couple of minutes to find a member of staff to complain to. Well, it feels like a couple of minutes anyway.

This is most definitely the fault of cinemas. There is a noticeable trend amongst cinemas to forget they are in the service industry, and that the service doesn't end once someone has sat down. From cutting staffing levels to minimise overhead which prevents effective screen checks, to getting rid of trained techicians to run the projectors, they are actively contributing to making a night at the cinema less of a pleasurable experience, all in the name of short-term profit.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 29
RE: TV advertisements at the cinema - 17/4/2012 1:12:34 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76
I know there are overheads and money going to the studios and whatnot but cinemas really rip the piss out of it these days with tickets prices,

Again, ticket prices are usually a by-product of studio demands. While some cinemas may charge more for their tickets than a local competitor to bump up their income, they'll still get a relatively small amount of that for themselves as studios usually take percentages rather than set amounts. This is on top of the rental charge the cinema pays for the film itself. There are cases where the studios have demanded (and got) 100% of ticket revenue for the opening weeks of some films, which is why you have:
quote:

ridicolous prices for food and then the 3 million adverts you have to sit through

As this is how a cinema makes it's money. If no-one who went to the cinema bought food, there'd be no cinemas. It's as simple as that.

quote:

And for me the worst thing of all, despite all the money the customer spends, rarely are the screens checked by staff to make sure everyone is having an enjoyable experience. In one of my local multiplexes some of the screens are that far away from the foyer you have to walk for a couple of minutes to find a member of staff to complain to. Well, it feels like a couple of minutes anyway.

This is most definitely the fault of cinemas. There is a noticeable trend amongst cinemas to forget they are in the service industry, and that the service doesn't end once someone has sat down. From cutting staffing levels to minimise overhead which prevents effective screen checks, to getting rid of trained techicians to run the projectors, they are actively contributing to making a night at the cinema less of a pleasurable experience, all in the name of short-term profit.

I thought there were logical reasons for the first two points, but I just felt like grumbling about it.

Oh dear, I go to the cinema all the time but I never buy any food. Now I feel guilty at not supporting something that gives me so much joy...when I am not grumbling about the numerous ways it gets on my nerves that is. It truly is a love with a tiny bit of hate relationship. 

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 17/4/2012 1:13:29 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> TV advertisements at the cinema Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI