Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American Pie: Reunion - 14/4/2012 12:11:57 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
American Reunion *Spoilers* - 14/4/2012 12:11:57 PM   
Mark Daws

I must admit that I was a fan of the 1999 original film and what set it aside from many other teen comedies at the time was the amount of good, likeable characters involved, the obviously rude Stifler gained belly laughs from his sexist antics, Jim with his early attempts at seducing the ladies under the guidance of his all-knowing father and Paul Finch moving up the ranks to MILF botherer from high school virgin all kept me more than interested.

Then followed the two sequels, losing cast members as well as worthy plot along the way, the third film seemed like perfect closure with the wedding but the money machine never stopped there, we were introduced to poor follow ups which were American Pie only in name where we were subjected to more high school romps from the original cast's younger siblings, the films never made it to the box office and I doubt that they would ever set it on fire but the straight to DVD releases gained a cult following from a younger audience who had perhaps only caught the originals on ITV2 late on a Tuesday evening.

I live in Poland and had not read a review of the latest installment American Reunion, several of my colleagues suggested going to watch the film together after a couple of beers and this turned out to be the perfect way to view old friends up on the big screen.

All of the original cast members appear at some point, there is some drama, a couple of sad moments and at one point you even feel sorry for an older Stifler still trying to keep the party going but failing miserably in his new temp role at a major local company.
Jim is having marital problems and feels reluctant to turn to his father for help since he has recently become a widower and is looking for answers for himself.
Kevin is living as a house husband to a successful wife, Oz is a TV Sports presenter for a small-time cable network in Los Angeles while Paul Finch has been travelling the world with plenty of tales to tell.

The story works perfectly as a reunion, it is for us as much as the main characters, we get to quickly settle down with plenty of laughs, highlights include; a new Jim kitchen scene with a nob gag so see- through it's Pyrex, you just can't knock the film for what it provides and that is a good slice of buddy humour with some decent new young supporting cast members and jokes which do not only rely on repeating past events in a different way.

As I mentioned earlier I saw this after a couple of beers with some mates in a full theatre, to get the best out the film I would recommend you do the same, I am not sure the movie will hold up to repeated views on DVD and at the end of the film Jason Biggs character does suggest "We should do this every year!" I am not sure that this is such a good idea, but for now, if you fancy reuniting with old friends and seeing in my opinion the funniest film of the year so far, get down to your local multiplex.

< Message edited by Mark Daws -- 14/4/2012 5:45:28 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: American Reunion *Spoilers* - 17/4/2012 3:24:29 PM   
odddaze

This wonít appeal to everyone, itís strictly for fans only. Like last years Scre4m, American Pie: Reunion is a blast for anyone who grew up loving these characters and have been wondering what theyíve been up to over the past couple of years. There are cameos galore and references to the 90s that make you feel young all over again but thatís just nostalgia, and the film play on that for a lot of the time, and whilst it is funny and raunchy one has to question if anyone outside of the American Pie cult will be able to sit through the film. The laughs are there for non-fans but they wonít feel the love that is definitely present in this film. Itís a rarity of a film; it has such a narrow audience but that audience will absolutely love it, just as I did.

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to Mark Daws)
Post #: 3
RE: American Reunion *Spoilers* - 24/4/2012 12:53:48 AM   
nhassell

No way this can be 2-star bad! The third one was far better than the review suggested, so I'll wait until next week before I pass judgment.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to odddaze)
Post #: 4
- 2/5/2012 4:28:31 PM   
Whistler

Come on James, you need to tweak your funny bone! This was easily as funny as the first three, and has everything you want from an American Pie movie. (I exclude the tripe that came between this and "The Wedding".) And yes, as has been said, it will be funnier to those who know the original films well, as it's scattered with in-jokes, but I think it will still appeal to the "new" generation. Funny stuff.

Post #: 5
Not great. But 'okay', certainly. - 7/5/2012 10:01:34 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

The film is consistently amusing, if not laugh-out-loud hilarious, and there are some nicely executed farcical set-pieces.
AP:R works in that you laugh when you're meant to, but there's a feeling that renewing everyone's contracts one last time should have been for something more than this.

Watch it on DVD with friends and drinks for best effect, but there's really nothing new here.

< Message edited by TheMightyBlackout -- 3/6/2012 1:32:15 AM >

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 6
RE: American Pie: Reunion - 10/5/2012 4:18:57 PM   
Phubbs

American Reunion

In all honesty...completely pointless, this franchise was perfectly fine with the original three and all the sexual toilet humour had been exhausted pretty good even then. Here we simply have more of the same obviously but its just not funny anymore because its all been done when the cast were younger and it made more sense.

I saw the first film when I was around 21 I think so I myself have grown up with the characters (sort of, maybe I'm a bit older?) as it were. Now I'm 34 (which I'm guessing is about the age of the characters for this new film, late 20's early 30's) and can look back at my earlier years with glee or trepidation just as in the film hehe.

Anyhow back on subject...from the very first sequence with Biggs and Hannigan in the bedroom I could see this was gonna be a tired rehash and not as funny, yes you know what your going in for with this film but you can clearly see its worn out. The cast all look older, slightly fatter with receding hair, well...they do despite the hard work from the Hollywood makeup department to combat these natural effects and make them appear still relatively young.

Best visual gag was probably when 'Stiffler' had finished 'chow time' on an old tubby schoolgirl acquaintance, pretty direct and smirk inducing. Apart from that its all very dumb and predictable as you would expect but not really in a good way anymore.

Post #: 7
hahahaha funny movie - 15/5/2012 12:41:08 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

hahahahaha funny movie

Post #: 8
Way Better Than 2 Stars!! - 27/10/2012 9:02:40 AM   
Kevin Kennedy

I think Empire's James White either has no sense of humour or was having a real bad day when he reviewed this. Ok it isn't perfect but it has some real laugh out loud moments. You know what to expect when you see an American Pie movie and this is as good as the best of them, silly, entertaining, gross out gags with characters we're all very familiar with. If there is anyone who didn't find this funny, well then you're either James White, dead, or don't like any of the American Pie movies....in which case why did you go and see/rent out this one?! You should keep spotting trains, knitting or whatever it is you do ;) !!!

Post #: 9
Great fun and kinda sweet! - 4/4/2013 9:29:12 PM   
tysmuse

I'm of the exact age/generation that this film is for - and I loved it. The gag ratio is high, so early on there are a few embarrassing moments, but it has plenty of laughs. So to compare it to, say, Identity Theft, is ludicrous! This had me laughing all the way though. For sure it isn't the best script, but - Katrina Bowden aside - the performances are a lot of fun. Stiffler is surely one of the best comic creations??

Post #: 10
Generous! - 29/4/2013 11:23:02 AM   
guysalisbury

Unlike most on here I think 2 stars is actually pretty generous! This film was just dire! Easily the worst of the four films. The acting had reached an all time low and it just wasnt very funny!

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> American Pie: Reunion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI