Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off another work?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off another work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off anot... - 13/4/2012 8:21:33 PM   
shinrobo

Now, unless he did this other French poster as well, I think the answer is clearly yes.

Picture of a poster in the restaurant we eat at. I think you can buy this prints of this as well.

Picture of Ollys as featured in Empire

Hmm.....To be honest, it's pretty much the exact same picture bar a few additions. The curves of the ship/rectangle style are nearly spot on. And to be fair, from looking at his website along with his other works, this is hardly his usual style.

< Message edited by shinrobo -- 13/4/2012 8:29:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 16/4/2012 8:50:53 PM   
bereski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

(in reply to shinrobo)
Post #: 2
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 16/4/2012 10:59:47 PM   
adambatman82

Isn't Moss's poster deliberately paying homage to the famous L'Atlantique poster? That's certainly what I presumed when I saw the poster in this months magazine anyway.

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 3
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 17/4/2012 3:44:20 PM   
shinrobo

Where is the line between paying homage and ripping a work off though? Because, if we're honest, he has outright copied the work and merely added icebergs. When many people pay "homage" to something, they dont just copy it line for line. And when you look at Ollys other works, this one doesn't fit style-wise.

Anyone had a look at Ollys website? Same basic style, and the same colour schemes for so many of his posters. I really wish Empire would bring someone in with a more varied style.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 4
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 17/4/2012 6:34:39 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: shinrobo

Where is the line between paying homage and ripping a work off though? Because, if we're honest, he has outright copied the work and merely added icebergs. When many people pay "homage" to something, they dont just copy it line for line.

He hasn't though, and by your own admission. He's taken an iconic image and subverted it. I'm fairly sure that the "point" of the poster is that the reference point is very clear.

(in reply to shinrobo)
Post #: 5
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 18/4/2012 5:40:00 AM   
tommypocket

quote:

Where is the line between paying homage and ripping a work off though? Because, if we're honest, he has outright copied the work and merely added icebergs. When many people pay "homage" to something, they dont just copy it line for line. And when you look at Ollys other works, this one doesn't fit style-wise.

Anyone had a look at Ollys website? Same basic style, and the same colour schemes for so many of his posters. I really wish Empire would bring someone in with a more varied style.

I don't know where to start with this... if we're 'being honest' you don't appear to understand the difference in your first question. If you only know this image from glancing up in your local Cafe Rouge then I'm afraid you're out of your depth (pun intended).

He hasn't 'merely added icebergs' - he's taken a famous, instantly recognisible piece of work and added the 3D colour separation effect. It's a metaphor for the re-release of the film itself - 'something you know, but in 3D'. Very clever indeed. I'm assuming you missed that...

Olly was brought in precisely because of his recognisible style, that's what an artist does - they develop whatever works for them. Yes, he may have originally been heavily inspired by Saul Bass but he's crucially added a sense of sly wit to make this style recognisibly his own. He's constantly evolving his style and techniques (propaganda posters for Captain America, for example). I can only assume you're a frustrated graphic student and want his desk.

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to shinrobo)
Post #: 6
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 28/4/2012 10:33:21 PM   
shinrobo

And I take it you have studied the art of condesending then? You dont share my opinion then fine, but don't talk down to me, you show yourself up as classless and opinionated. Perhaps your Mummy should have taught you some manners to prevent you becoming the egotistical fool that you now are. Because, you talk of your opinion as if it's an absolute fact, when you have no idea what Olly was thinking when he so obviously used another work.

A frustrated graphic student? From your tone I think the only student here is you, because you clearly lack real world experience of dealing with people. Either that or your just a nobody making up the numbers blessing the masses with your opinion at the water cooler. I feel sorry for the dolts who have to put up with someone like you.

I love it when people pay homage, but when they rip off or do it lazily? A best I have little time for it, at worse I deem it to be a rip off. Still, you keep implying your own thoughts onto everything and talking down to people, that'll make you loads of friends lol.

(in reply to tommypocket)
Post #: 7
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 29/4/2012 2:37:04 AM   
MonsterCat

I think if this Moss person was to rip-off another artist's work he wouldn't have chosen such a relatively famous image.

Tommypocket's interpretation makes sense. It's quite an ingenious bit of satire on Moss' part, actually.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 29/4/2012 2:14:34 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to shinrobo)
Post #: 8
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 30/4/2012 1:28:39 AM   
tommypocket

quote:

And I take it you have studied the art of condesending then? You dont share my opinion then fine, but don't talk down to me, you show yourself up as classless and opinionated. Perhaps your Mummy should have taught you some manners to prevent you becoming the egotistical fool that you now are. Because, you talk of your opinion as if it's an absolute fact, when you have no idea what Olly was thinking when he so obviously used another work.

I love it when people pay homage, but when they rip off or do it lazily? A best I have little time for it, at worse I deem it to be a rip off. Still, you keep implying your own thoughts onto everything and talking down to people, that'll make you loads of friends lol.

Wow... and again, I don't know where to start.

Having an opinion on a piece of work from an appreciation standpoint is fine, it doesn't really matter and I couldn't care less if someone disagrees with me. It's your 'case' against the moral legitimacy of Olly's Titanic piece that riled me.

I will gladly condescend someone who publicly accuses a professional artist of plagiarism - I don't think you quite understand what a serious accusation that is. I'm well within my right to shoot down your naive claims - I wouldn't usually take to being so damning but in this case I had to make an exception and stand up for a fellow artist. I've been in the design business for 10 years and believe me, I've seen accusations (both real and unfounded) of plagiarism destroy reputations and careers so I don't look upon them lightly.

Sure, this clearly isn't the New York Times accusing him here, but what can I say; I still took offense.

I can't read Olly's mind, but the point of Art is to gain an insight into what an artist is 'thinking' and in this case, I (and everyone else except you, judging by the responses) manged to grasp a relatively straightforward artistic intent.

And you signed off 'lol'...

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to shinrobo)
Post #: 9
RE: Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off ... - 24/5/2012 4:53:43 PM   
Chris Hewitt

No, he didn't rip it off. It's a play on the original image.

Silly Empire man who asks BORING questions!

(in reply to tommypocket)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Olly Moss' Titanic 3D poster. Did he just rip off another work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI