Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 13/4/2012 5:40:58 PM   
Spaldron

Bad Taste (1987)

Bad Taste was the first Peter Jackson film (Rings aside) I had the pleasure of owning on dvd and still find it as cheerfully delightful now as I did on my first viewing. His first feature film, shot on a shoestring was considered so gory it led to a banning in Australia and prompted Plan B to write the lyric "I haven't felt this sick since I saw that film Bad Taste" (cheers Wiki) but he's just a pussy so who cares what that twat says. Bad Taste is everything you'd want from a low budget Kiwi sci-fi/comedy horror directed at weekends over the course of 4 years (technically a year longer than it took to shoot LOTR). Jackson himself (in the spirit of Python) plays two roles in this but will be most fondly remembered as the films unlikely hero Derek, complete with bandana and chainsaw! The directors trademark splat-stick gore will either turn you right off, or if you're in on the gag then make you ROTFL. Highlights are the running gag involving Derek's erm..... brain issues and the delicious looking 'Crumbs Crunchy Delights' complete with quite literally the most vomit inducing scene in cinema. The film is so loaded with ridiculous OTT gags (plenty of Python influenced humour in there) that it requires multiple viewings to take it all in and a ship-load of quotable lines, ("I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!", "The bastards have landed!"). Its just a shame most of the world didn't appreciate this cult classic a lot sooner than post-Rings, including myself I have to admit. Here's hoping PJ gets round to remastering this at some stage, and maybe gives us those long awaited sequels we've been promised for years now.

And nothing can top the Sheep gag.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 13/4/2012 9:48:13 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 1
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 13/4/2012 6:29:41 PM   
paul_ie86

Not seen any of Peter Jackson's stuff before Heavenly Creatures, but good to see a new list all the same.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 13/4/2012 7:33:23 PM   
Scott_

Yes! Sci-Fi lists are always good to read and Bad Taste is a great way to start, its an awesome film!

Looking forward to the rest of your list Spaldron.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 3
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 13/4/2012 8:21:55 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Not seen any of Peter Jackson's stuff before Heavenly Creatures

Get Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles and Braindead immediately.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 4
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 13/4/2012 9:10:09 PM   
elab49

Just a quick note up front - it's something that happens quite often in normally horror threads. Empire has specific rules on what level of pics can be allowed on the site - we can give a by for 18 ratings for an innocuous pic, but horror shots like that are a no-no I'm afraid. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 5
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 14/4/2012 1:54:09 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I, rather ashamedly after reading Spaldy's review on Bad Taste, simply NEED to check this out!

Art

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 14/4/2012 5:35:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've never seen Bad Taste despite the fact I've had the video for ages, must be about 7 years now. If that doesn't make me a failure I don't know what does.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 7
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 14/4/2012 9:45:10 AM   
jonson

Love Bad Taste. There's a great scene where someone falls of a cliff, and you can see someone crouching behind the rocks ready to throw an orange bucketfull of blood in the air.
It's those little touchs that make it such a great film.
And Derek chainsawing himself through an Aliens body and out the arse end, before declaring "I'm born again!" is hilarious.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 8
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 14/4/2012 6:22:42 PM   
Spaldron

Explorers (1985)

It was a toss up between this and Flight of the Navigator as to which of the 'family friendly sci-fi's that aren't E.T.' would make the list. As it is I always found the central kid in Flight.... to be really annoying so I'm going with Joe Dante's post Gremlins flop. Starring a very young River Phoenix (this films Data) and an even younger Ethan Hawke (this films Mikey), they and some other kid (this films Mouth) decide to build a spaceship because they've all been having weird dreams lately which they decipher as alien messages. Using their combined efforts they build their craft and travel to an alien spaceship where they meet the source of their strange dreams. It would be unfair to call this a failure, it just came out the same year as The Goonies and being part of the ever-increasing 'kids go on random adventure' genre spearheaded be Steven Spielberg throughout the 80's didn't help its chances. Its actually very enjoyable (especially if you first saw it as a kid), is well directed and has some great moments, particularly the sequence during the first test flight where they wreck a drive-in theatre and the final act of course. Dante himself has claimed that he wanted to do a lot more with the films big alien sequence but was hindered somewhat by studio pressures. The score by Jerry Goldsmith is some of his best work also, blending traditional orchestral work with synth music, which was quite rare in those days. A highly enjoyable Sunday afternoon Sci-Fi if you ask me.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 9
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 14/4/2012 6:42:52 PM   
matty_b

I like Explorers a lot. No-one else seems to, mind.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 10
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 15/4/2012 1:25:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not seen this one either Like Bad taste, I have a copy that's just lying around.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 11
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 15/4/2012 9:16:37 AM   
Rebenectomy

I don't mind Explorers either. I watched it again a couple of years back and noticed there's a bit where the kids steal some of their dad's beer to toast their building success. I really doubt you'd get that in a kids film these days.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 12
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 15/4/2012 2:53:24 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Possibly (possibly) watched this as a kid but unfortunately I'm not remembering all that much from it to be honest. Must give this a spin also at some point too Spaldy.

Art

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 13
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 16/4/2012 4:00:50 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Good call with Bad Taste.

Not so much with Explorers though - the last quarter is atrocious.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 14
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 20/4/2012 6:32:57 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Bad Taste (1987)

Bad Taste was the first Peter Jackson film (Rings aside) I had the pleasure of owning on dvd and still find it as cheerfully delightful now as I did on my first viewing. His first feature film, shot on a shoestring was considered so gory it led to a banning in Australia and prompted Plan B to write the lyric "I haven't felt this sick since I saw that film Bad Taste" (cheers Wiki) but he's just a pussy so who cares what that twat says. Bad Taste is everything you'd want from a low budget Kiwi sci-fi/comedy horror directed at weekends over the course of 4 years (technically a year longer than it took to shoot LOTR). Jackson himself (in the spirit of Python) plays two roles in this but will be most fondly remembered as the films unlikely hero Derek, complete with bandana and chainsaw! The directors trademark splat-stick gore will either turn you right off, or if you're in on the gag then make you ROTFL. Highlights are the running gag involving Derek's erm..... brain issues and the delicious looking 'Crumbs Crunchy Delights' complete with quite literally the most vomit inducing scene in cinema. The film is so loaded with ridiculous OTT gags (plenty of Python influenced humour in there) that it requires multiple viewings to take it all in and a ship-load of quotable lines, ("I'm a Derek and Dereks don't run!", "The bastards have landed!"). Its just a shame most of the world didn't appreciate this cult classic a lot sooner than post-Rings, including myself I have to admit. Here's hoping PJ gets round to remastering this at some stage, and maybe gives us those long awaited sequels we've been promised for years now.

And nothing can top the Sheep gag.

Love this film big time,not only a great Sci/Fi/Horror but a cult classic from Petter Lord Of The Rings Jackson.Love the scene where the Seagul is picking away at his brain,after he falls off a cliff.And yes the humor is very Monty Python a real over the top gore fest done on a shoedtring budget too,hope he returns tothe horror gerne soon.
quote:

Explorers (1985)

It was a toss up between this and Flight of the Navigator as to which of the 'family friendly sci-fi's that aren't E.T.' would make the list. As it is I always found the central kid in Flight.... to be really annoying so I'm going with Joe Dante's post Gremlins flop. Starring a very young River Phoenix (this films Data) and an even younger Ethan Hawke (this films Mikey), they and some other kid (this films Mouth) decide to build a spaceship because they've all been having weird dreams lately which they decipher as alien messages. Using their combined efforts they build their craft and travel to an alien spaceship where they meet the source of their strange dreams. It would be unfair to call this a failure, it just came out the same year as The Goonies and being part of the ever-increasing 'kids go on random adventure' genre spearheaded be Steven Spielberg throughout the 80's didn't help its chances. Its actually very enjoyable (especially if you first saw it as a kid), is well directed and has some great moments, particularly the sequence during the first test flight where they wreck a drive-in theatre and the final act of course. Dante himself has claimed that he wanted to do a lot more with the films big alien sequence but was hindered somewhat by studio pressures. The score by Jerry Goldsmith is some of his best work also, blending traditional orchestral work with synth music, which was quite rare in those days. A highly enjoyable Sunday afternoon Sci-Fi if you ask me.

A fine start to your list,from Friday night beer movie,to relaxing Sunday afternoon fun sci/fi,which floped big time on release.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 15
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 21/4/2012 10:44:48 PM   
Sutty

Love The Explorers. Kind of feels like a cross between Stand By Me and The Explorers. One of those underrated or overlooked gems that the 80's have so many of.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 16
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 21/4/2012 11:27:04 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Love The Explorers. Kind of feels like a cross between Stand By Me and The Explorers.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 17
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 22/4/2012 6:03:24 PM   
Spaldron

Flash Gordon (1980)

Dino De Laurentiis' 1980 production of Flash Gordon manages to be completely brilliant and utterly terrible at the same time. With a fantastically OTT script (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever) and some of the hammiest acting ever committed to film, it really shouldn't work at all. Of course it all works because the film doesn't take itself seriously at all and completely embraces the high campness, metaphorically winking at the audience and letting us in on the joke. Shot at the same time as The Empire Strikes Back and with roughly the same budget (around $35m) this somehow manages to look half as expensive, with pantomime sets, shiny spandex costumes and rocket-on-a-wire special effects its no wonder they decided to use Queen for the score. Despite everything working against it this is a terrifically entertaining film for these reasons...

Brian Blessed
Queen (Flash! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!)
"Gordon's Alive!"
The football scene
"Dive!"
Brian Blessed
Klytus
The guy from Blue Peter
Timothy Dalton
People can apparently breathe in space
Brian Blessed
The guy from Fiddler On The Roof
The rubbish acting
Max Von Sydow's shiny head
Brian Blessed

That is all.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 18
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 22/4/2012 6:04:16 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, great choice.

quote:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 19
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 22/4/2012 6:05:57 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

Flash Gordon (1980)

Dino De Laurentiis' 1980 production of Flash Gordon manages to be completely brilliant and utterly terrible at the same time. With a fantastically OTT script (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever) and some of the hammiest acting ever committed to film, it really shouldn't work at all. Of course it all works because the film doesn't take itself seriously at all and completely embraces the high campness, metaphorically winking at the audience and letting us in on the joke. Shot at the same time as The Empire Strikes Back and with roughly the same budget (around $35m) this somehow manages to look half as expensive, with pantomime sets, shiny spandex costumes and rocket-on-a-wire special effects its no wonder they decided to use Queen for the score. Despite everything working against it this is a terrifically entertaining film for these reasons...

Brian Blessed
"Gordon's Alive!"
The football scene
"Dive!"
Brian Blessed
Klytus
The guy from Blue Peter
Timothy Dalton
Brian Blessed
The rubbish acting
Brian Blessed

That is all.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 20
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 22/4/2012 6:45:25 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Yeah, great choice.

You especially like the soundtrack.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 21
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 22/4/2012 6:46:42 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Yeah, great choice.

I especially like the soundtrack!!!

Art

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 22
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 22/4/2012 11:55:03 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The soundtrack is indeed the best bit of the film!

Much more better!

Post #: 23
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 23/4/2012 10:35:09 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Yeah, great choice.

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 24
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 23/4/2012 10:45:52 AM   
MovieAddict247

Flash Gordon - all sorts of awesome. Nice review too.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 25
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 23/4/2012 11:00:25 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

Brian Blessed
"Gordon's Alive!"
The football scene
"Dive!"
Brian Blessed
Klytus
The guy from Blue Peter
Timothy Dalton
Brian Blessed
The rubbish acting
Brian Blessed

That is all.

What abou Brian Blessed?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 26
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 24/4/2012 3:34:17 AM   
Sutty

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Love The Explorers. Kind of feels like a cross between Stand By Me and The Explorers.

Imeant a cross between Stand By Me and E.T. At least it feels like that to me

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 27
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 24/4/2012 12:56:41 PM   
paul_ie86

I know, I just wanted to use the monkey smiley

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 28
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 27/4/2012 12:32:28 PM   
shool

Bad Taste - Not seen
Explorers - Like it up until the build up of going into space then it loses me.
Flash Gordon - Awesome.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 29
RE: Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. - 27/4/2012 1:10:21 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

I like Explorers a lot. No-one else seems to, mind.

I do!

Yes, even the finale.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Spaldy's Top 21 Sci-Fi Films Of The 80's. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI