Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 1:57:20 PM   
Debonair Film Club

While the plot is usually the most important part of a script, strong dialogue contributes a huge amount and quotes can often be one of the most memorable parts of a movie. But there is more to a quote than merely the words; you also have to take into account their delivery and their impact.
Anyone who has read one of my reviews before will have noticed that I like to start off with my favourite quote from the movie in question. So I started thinking about what I would consider to be the top ten the coolest quotes from the gangster genre.

So read on the see what I consider to be the genre’s top ten. But be warned, some of the quotes below contain bad language and possible spoilers.

10) ‘Heavy lies the crown’

Frank Costello (The Departed)

The first line in the top ten line that originated elsewhere although this one was adapted for the script. I’m not sure why it resonates with me so much but I like the way Costello acknowledges the responsibility he bears as the leader of the gang.

9) ‘Jacques Mesrine, enchanté’

Jacques Mesrine (Mesrine: L’Instinct de Mort)

Translated, this means ‘Jacques Mesrine, nice to meet you’. Not exactly earth shattering but for me, this is the gangster equivalent of ‘Bond, James Bond’. And Vincent Cassell’s French charm rivals any of the Bond actors.

8 ) ‘Some creatures are weak, but they survive because they’re being protected by the strong’

Sergeant Leckie (Animal Kingdom)

One of the aspects I enjoyed most about Animal Kingdom was the way the theme carries right through the movie. And for me, this quote epitomises that.

7) ‘For every action, there is a reaction. And a Pikey reaction… is quite a fucking thing’

Turkish (Snatch)

What I love about this line, other than Jason Stratham’s deadpan delivery, is that it sets up a massive twist in the plot. And what an explosive twist it is.

6) ‘When they send for you, you go in alive, you come out dead, and it’s your best friend that does it’

Lefty Ruggiero (Donnie Brasco)

Once again I find myself referring back to one of my favourite gangster characters. This line in particular reinforces both Lefty’s understanding and acceptance of the code of the street.

5) ‘Fate chained me to evil, for that I must pay the Penalty’

Blizzard (The Penalty)

Another line that manages to sum up the whole movie in just a few words. But it also reveals the stark contrast in Lon Chaney’s most evil of lead gangster characters.

4) ‘What do you mean I’m funny?’

Tommy DeVito (Goodfellas)

Again, in itself not earth shattering but notable because of what it proceeds. Not only does the following dialogue rank as some of the most memorable in the genre but it also shows a humility to Joe Pesci’s character that isn’t obvious elsewhere in the film.

3) ‘You wanna fuck with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!’

Tony Montana (Scarface)

Maybe an obvious choice but once again, it’s what follows that gives the words such force. Montana knows it’s his last stand and in his coke- fuelled daze he is prepared to go down in a hale of bullets.

2) ‘The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you’

Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction)

To be fair, this quote is nicked from the bible and it appears quite random. But there is something quite poignant about reciting a biblical passage to someone before you murder them. And Samuel L Jackson’s delivery is pretty much flawless.

1) ‘I’m gonna make him an offer he won’t refuse’

Don Corleone (The Godfather)

If a movie quote ever defined a genre, this is it. Marlon Brando may have played some iconic roles in his career but he also got to mutter these immortal words that are amongst the most famous in any genre.

So have I missed any?

Read more about the gangster movie genre at my blog:

www.debonairfilmclub.com

Debonair Film Club- the definitive guide to the gangster movie genre
Post #: 1
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 2:24:35 PM   
Discodez

Mostly modern movies there, shame you've no Cagney/Bogart/Robinson there...

"Made it ma, top of the world" - the ironic final battle cry from Cagney's Cody Jarrett at the end of White Heat

(in reply to Debonair Film Club)
Post #: 2
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 2:27:08 PM   
matty_b

"You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?"

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

"Noodles...I slipped..."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 3
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 2:42:07 PM   
directorscut

"He used to be a big shot."

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 3:32:53 PM   
MOTH

i'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 3:33:20 PM   
Discodez

Just thought of another good one..

"We're looking for people who can contribute to what England has given the world: culture, genius, sophistication. Bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean? ... The Mafia? I've shit em"

Bob Hoskins (Harold Shand) Ther long good friday

Post #: 6
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 9:21:53 PM   
Debonair Film Club

Fair point about the older movies, although The Penalty is a silent from 1920!

In my defence, 'whaddya hear, whaddya say' from Angels with Dirty Faces just missed the cut.

www.debonairfilmclub.com

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 7
RE: Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes - 13/4/2012 9:24:10 PM   
Debonair Film Club

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

"He used to be a big shot."

Gutted I forgot this one

www.debonairfilmclub.com

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Top ten most memorable gangster movie quotes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI