Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 14/9/2012 5:20:57 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gravitas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Obvious troll is obvious.

In what way? Or is that the best you can do?

We could start with you skipping over two substantive comments in order to get to a comment that any normal person, any person who actually had faith in their opinion and wanted to have a discussion about it (perhaps by engaging with those two substantive comments), would have responded to with "I'm not a troll, fuck off".

Like, I mean, I'm not a Troll Hunter or anything, but if it quacks like a duck.

What substantive comments?

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 61
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 14/9/2012 5:28:19 PM   
sanchia

A comment which contains substance rather than a statement which is not supported by evidence.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 62
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 14/9/2012 5:59:18 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

A comment which contains substance rather than a statement which is not supported by evidence.

You appear to be confused, pal.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 63
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 14/9/2012 6:01:34 PM   
MonsterCat

You daft, trollling racist.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 64
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 14/9/2012 6:03:48 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Tbh, I think he has a modicum of a point in his question of what today constitutes as racism (Is, for example, a Serbian hating an Albanian or vice-versa racism or xenophobia, etc).

The rest is nothing but disbelief gif worthy.

What rest? The homophobia? Is this really news to you?

These days almost anything can be deemed racist - and some people make a career out of claiming racism where ever they imagine it and it get's debated on the radio and TV - And then we have so called "islamophobia" that the paranoid Muslims bang on about - and are doing so as we speak on the phone-ins today.

I take it you folks will know what I'm talking about here (but I wouldn't bank on it)?

Would you be so kind as to give us some examples of people who you think "make a career out of claiming racism"? Obviously, if you're making such statements with such confidence, you obviously have the evidence to back them up.

I would address the 'so-called Islamophobia' point, but Nexus already has, albeit far more bluntly than I would. I think that it's safe to say, though, that "what you're talking about here" is something I know only because I've heard other blinkered, horrifically privileged internet commenters make the exact same statements about how they're 'blind to race' and 'it's political correctness gone mad' and 'everyone's racist so why do you care' and 'we can't even define racism'. It's obfuscating what is actually a reasonably clear thing - JessFranco's third post in this thread is a brief and lucid outline of why everyone beats up on the white people you want to protect because 'they're not that bad, it's those pesky Asians!'

Here's two pal, - Yasmin Alibatshit-Brown and Al Sharpton..

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 65
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 12:44:14 AM   
Deviation

quote:

No, your "Asians" claim, even if Asian is as expansive from Japan, to Sri Lanka to Lebanon. I can only expect that from sme people coming from (some very) conservative countries. And if it wasn't for the European geopolitical ties, you could include Israel and Cyprus.

I congratulate you though, this is the first time I've not seen it to refer just to the Japanese, Chinese or Koreans. Bravo.

There's also the issue that you used "whites" and not at least "Western Europeans" (a claim I would still find annoying). Last time I checked, Ukraine, Russia and Azerbaijan can be very hostile is you're gay, but I guess that's an Asian thing for you. Whites? OH NO...

quote:

These days almost anything can be deemed racist - and some people make a career out of claiming racism where ever they imagine it and it get's debated on the radio and TV - And then we have so called "islamophobia" that the paranoid Muslims bang on about - and are doing so as we speak on the phone-ins today.

Yes, the term can be abused and so can Islamophobia, just like every other term known to man, yet with you, it is proving to be 100% accurate.

quote:

I take it you folks will know what I'm talking about here (but I wouldn't bank on it)?

Aren't you the guy who just claimed "Asians" and of this being an Asian thing? You really aren't the guy to be claiming things like these.

quote:

Al made a career out of that? Damn, I didn't know....It can be accused that Sharpton does that (with good evidence), but him making a career is over-exeggarrating.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/9/2012 1:05:50 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 66
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 3:02:17 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tbh, I think he has a modicum of a point in his question of what today constitutes as racism (Is, for example, a Serbian hating an Albanian or vice-versa racism or xenophobia, etc).

The rest is nothing but disbelief gif worthy.

Would you be so kind as to give us some examples of people who you think "make a career out of claiming racism"? Obviously, if you're making such statements with such confidence, you obviously have the evidence to back them up.

I would address the 'so-called Islamophobia' point, but Nexus already has, albeit far more bluntly than I would. I think that it's safe to say, though, that "what you're talking about here" is something I know only because I've heard other blinkered, horrifically privileged internet commenters make the exact same statements about how they're 'blind to race' and 'it's political correctness gone mad' and 'everyone's racist so why do you care' and 'we can't even define racism'. It's obfuscating what is actually a reasonably clear thing - JessFranco's third post in this thread is a brief and lucid outline of why everyone beats up on the white people you want to protect because 'they're not that bad, it's those pesky Asians!'

Aside from the fact that he's a Baptist Minister and a television host, Al Sharpton is a well-respected civil rights activist who has made his mark by campaigning against injustices visited upon the African-American community by government organisations (most of the campaigns he's led have been against cops shooting young black men). He's no doubt had his low points (the Crown Heights riot), but he's still a tireless campaigner for equality and fairness in a country where the African-American community only had their civil rights recognised in law 48 years ago.

As for Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, she's a well-respected columnist on more than just race issues, and even then she's not exactly the inflammatory anti-white monster you want to paint her as. Hell, I only have to go to Wikipedia to see this -

quote:

In May 2011, Alibhai-Brown wrote in the Independent that Muslims and others should stop focusing solely on the wrongdoings of Israel, saying that, "We Muslims need to accept our burdens too." She also said that, "It is no longer morally justifiable for activists to target only Israel and either ignore or find excuses for corrupt, murderous Arab despots. That kind of selectivity discredits pro-Palestinian campaigners and dishonours the principles of equality and human rights."[18] Brown previously condemned ethnic minority campaigners against racism failing to mention white victims of racially motivated crimes, suggesting they were guilty of double standards. Highlighting cases such as the murder of Ross Parker, Alibhai-Brown wrote: "Our values are worthless unless all victims of these senseless deaths matter equally", adding "to treat some victims as more worthy of condemnation than others is unforgivable and a betrayal of anti-racism itself".[19][20]

But even then, why is there a problem with people highlighting civil rights abuses and racism in society? These problems still exist, so why shouldn't people be calling our attention to them when they occur?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 67
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 8:55:45 AM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

You appear to be confused, pal.

This for example is evidence that you are a troll and nothing more. That is an example of a substantive statement.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 68
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 12:21:05 PM   
superdan

quote:

This for example is evidence that you are a troll and nothing more. That is an example of a substantive statement.

Every post he has posted is evidence that he is a troll.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 69
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:01:30 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Not at all. But your posts and some others are.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 70
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:09:11 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 71
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:10:06 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

quote:

No, your "Asians" claim, even if Asian is as expansive from Japan, to Sri Lanka to Lebanon. I can only expect that from sme people coming from (some very) conservative countries. And if it wasn't for the European geopolitical ties, you could include Israel and Cyprus.

I congratulate you though, this is the first time I've not seen it to refer just to the Japanese, Chinese or Koreans. Bravo.

There's also the issue that you used "whites" and not at least "Western Europeans" (a claim I would still find annoying). Last time I checked, Ukraine, Russia and Azerbaijan can be very hostile is you're gay, but I guess that's an Asian thing for you. Whites? OH NO...

quote:

Yes, the term can be abused and so can Islamophobia, just like every other term known to man, yet with you, it is proving to be 100% accurate.

quote:

Aren't you the guy who just claimed "Asians" and of this being an Asian thing? You really aren't the guy to be claiming things like these.

quote:

Al made a career out of that? Damn, I didn't know....It can be accused that Sharpton does that (with good evidence), but him making a career is over-exeggarrating.

I have followed these people for years - I know the shit they come out with. I don't have to find out who they are on Wiki.

Here in England we think of Asians as being Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (one happy group) - rather than the American "definition".

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 72
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:12:01 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interesting.

Have you ever heard the saying about "people in glass houses".

It's funny how Lefties can't see irony - such hypocrites.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 73
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:17:05 PM   
sanchia

You are a Yahoo poster aren't you? I knew it. The old leftie jibes a textbook cliché. You'll be making that Dog and Stable quote next.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 74
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:35:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm just waiting for the inevitable dhimmitude comment personally.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 75
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:42:02 PM   
sanchia

I think you overestimate him.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 76
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:42:38 PM   
Gravitas

quote:

You are a Yahoo poster aren't you? I knew it. The old leftie jibes a textbook cliché. You'll be making that Dog and Stable quote next.

If it is, it's because it is so true.

Just like if someone has concerns about mass unfeterred immigration - they are accused routinely as being racists by Left-wing wankers.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 77
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 1:45:16 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

A bit like the cliche about Daily Mail readers being knee-jerking ignorant bigots?

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 78
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 2:03:02 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

Just like if someone has concerns about mass unfeterred immigration - they are accused routinely as being racists by Left-wing wankers.

Indeed it is true that the old leftie jibe is a textbook cliché. I am glad you agree with me there. You see there is a difference between being against current levels of immigration and retorting to stereotyping which does appear to be something you are guilty of as you are of accusing people of being left wing etc. when you have no actual identifiable proof of political allegience. Once again stereotyping of the sort that is "if anyone disagrees with me they are wrong. If you wish to put forward valid points with evidence to back them up feel free, if you wish to resort to opinion and stereotyping then you have to expect to be ridiculed.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 79
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 4:25:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I have followed these people for years - I know the shit they come out with. I don't have to find out who they are on Wiki.

Oh so you're a stalker. Also I don't think you do...

quote:

Here in England we think of Asians as being Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (one happy group) - rather than the American "definition".

And you do realize the ethnic and religious differences between those groups right (who occasionally hate each other) and how silly it is to branch them in one group, right? I don't think you do. Even between Indians you find find massive differences, let alone the three together.

Oh and it's not an American definition either. It's quite done in the West and even found in South American countries.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/9/2012 4:26:32 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 80
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 4:31:13 PM   
sanchia

Don't you know the Indians and Pakistanis are all the same, no difference in religion of political allegiances or anything.

I suppose it is better than the alternate label often used by people who stereotype which is pretty offensive.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 15/9/2012 4:32:01 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 81
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 4:45:02 PM   
Deviation

Thanks fuck all the Indians are Punjabs from Mumbai too. No differences in language, religion, appearance, culture, oh no, nothing of the sort. The Indians also love being put in the same group of the Bengladeshis and the Pakistani.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/9/2012 4:46:04 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 82
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 5:28:26 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

*Sigh*

I'm starting to miss Vad3r.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Gravitas)
Post #: 83
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 5:29:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

*Sigh*

I'm not convinced he ever left.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 84
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 5:33:49 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

*Sigh*

I'm not convinced he ever left.

It's been over a day since the words "single virgin" have appeared on the forum, he's either gone or is still on here, writing an epic 50,000-word post entirely in italics under a random post by Sway.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 5:39:35 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm going to send him a PM.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 86
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 8:13:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I'm going to send him a PM.

Yeah, do that. What's the worst that could happen?

Oh, wait...........

(oh, and just because vad3r hasn't posted, doesn't mean he isn't reading )

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 15/9/2012 11:20:52 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 87
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 11:40:09 PM   
sanchia

Or waiting in the bushes outside your house.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 88
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 15/9/2012 11:56:43 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Crying while he does it.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 89
RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. - 16/9/2012 12:01:11 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

If this was the case, I'd invite him in. It'd be nice to meet another forumite......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Race issues: Is the media too black and white. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI