Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite issue of EMPIRE here!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite issue of EMPIRE here! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite issue o... - 10/4/2012 4:35:24 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I thought it'd be fun for all you Empire aficianado's out there to post pics of your first ever copy of Empire!

My first issue was way back in December 1996 (seems like a life time away now!). God, thats over 15 years ago now! It had the cover of the lovely Cameron Diaz. It also came with a free A4 sized poster of Star Wars and Pamela Anderson! I still have the Star Wars poster, although I have to admit I lost the latter! As for the issue itself, here you go...

The EMPIRE font was a little different from what it is today. And the thing that struck me about Empire was the quality of the writing and the features.

My 2nd issue was...

January 1997. This issue followed the one with the cover of Cameron Diaz. Suffice to say after this i was hooked!!

I'd love it if anyone else would love to share their first copy by posting it here. And not just your first issue, but maybe your favourite issue?

I still have the above issues in my posession. In fact I still have all the issues i've purchased over the years. Maybe i've got a hoarding problem, who knows!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/4/2012 4:39:49 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 10/4/2012 9:04:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

I no longer have it - chucked it years ago but it was this one

that's issue no 3 form September 1989. I've bought every one since.

Don't rally have a favourite issue but I did get my story used in the Star Wars  feature in this one

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 10/4/2012 9:20:42 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

I no longer have it - chucked it years ago but it was this one

that's issue no 3 form September 1989. I've bought every one since.

Don't rally have a favourite issue but I did get my story used in the Star Wars feature in this one

you threw away your first ever copy of Empire with INDY on the cover?? ah man! That would have been proper vintage Empire!

As for the Star Wars special cover, I still have it, to be honest anything with the word Star Wars on it is gold for me!

Ever since I became a fan of Empire magazine, i've dreamt of having my name inside a copy, so your a very lucky guy to have yours!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/4/2012 9:21:56 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 3
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 10/4/2012 10:42:17 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Above are just a couple of my favourite EMPIRE issues!

(From left to right:)

Issue 245; 30 years of Alien special. Empire did an excellent 26 page tribute to the Alien movies. It is one of my favourite issues because of the fact that I am a massive Alien fan!

Issue 218; one of my favourite Empire issues ever! Why? Because its a tribute issue to the greatest film ever made - Blade Runner! This issue was a must have for all BR fan's, and I am proud to own a copy. 25 page tribute filled with enough mouth watering material to give any BR fan's wet dreams! Empire did a sterling job!

Issue 238; 25 year celebration of Terminator issue! Again awesome stuff!

Issue 233; this was the 100 covers to choose from edition, I chose Aliens as my cover because it is a bad ass cover! Ripley kicking ass! And also for the fact that I worship Aliens!

So those are just a couple of my favourites. And I haven't even started on the Star Wars issues!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/4/2012 10:58:25 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 11/4/2012 7:45:57 PM   
markj1

Here's mine.

< Message edited by markj1 -- 11/4/2012 7:47:35 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 12/4/2012 2:16:21 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! Sean Young on the cover (top left)!! In my view the hottest 80's siren!

What issue is this? And year?

(in reply to markj1)
Post #: 6
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 12/4/2012 6:12:49 PM   
jonson

I'm old enough to have bought the first edition. I was an avid Q reader and used to enjoy the movie section in there, then one week saw the advert for a magazine ALL ABOUT FILMS!!!
I'm sure there were others about but I was so excited when Empire first came out, in fact to be fair I still get excited at every new edition now (I avoid the news and reviews on the website as I'd rather read it on paper). I stopped subscribing about 4 years ago once I realised I could get it quicker from the local newsagent.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 7
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 12/4/2012 10:11:31 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I'm old enough to have bought the first edition. I was an avid Q reader and used to enjoy the movie section in there, then one week saw the advert for a magazine ALL ABOUT FILMS!!!
I'm sure there were others about but I was so excited when Empire first came out, in fact to be fair I still get excited at every new edition now (I avoid the news and reviews on the website as I'd rather read it on paper). I stopped subscribing about 4 years ago once I realised I could get it quicker from the local newsagent.

First ever issue? F****** awesome!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/4/2012 10:12:43 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 13/4/2012 1:44:55 PM   
Beno

I have purchased Empire ever since it started and have only ever missed a few copies over the years but have not kept any which makes me sad to be honest.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 9
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 14/4/2012 10:17:43 PM   
jackcarter

1st issue (although i did find 3 previous months in someones trash, but since i didnt pay for those itd be this one)

favourite issue

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 14/4/2012 10:32:25 PM >

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 10
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 15/4/2012 8:55:18 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

1st issue (although i did find 3 previous months in someones trash, but since i didnt pay for those itd be this one)

WOW! FORREST GUMP!

quote:

favourite issue

WOW!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 15/4/2012 8:56:08 AM >

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 11
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 15/4/2012 2:37:15 PM   
jackcarter

Heh yeah just kidding - fave issue is probably the star trek one.

Seeing Trek on the cover of Empire for the first time (even if it was clones of Kirk and Spock) was great - esp after so many SW covers over the years

Other notables that come to mind are the 2 Indy issues, the Terminator 4 one, and the 2 Superman Returns ones (although Total Films 3D Reeve/Routh cover slightly bettered Empires), oh and this months is pretty cool

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 15/4/2012 2:38:34 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 15/4/2012 10:55:55 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Seeing Trek on the cover of Empire for the first time (even if it was clones of Kirk and Spock) was great - esp after so many SW covers over the years

Other notables that come to mind are the 2 Indy issues, the Terminator 4 one, and the 2 Superman Returns ones (although Total Films 3D Reeve/Routh cover slightly bettered Empires), oh and this months is pretty cool

An awesome cover! I still have it - I have to agree that it was refreshing to see a Star Trek cover - and this coming from a Star Wars Nut!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 13
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 16/4/2012 1:40:04 AM   
Olaf

I haven't bought the magazine in ages (the Scott Pilgrim and Back to the Future issues are the only ones I've bought since mid-2009 I think) but I got pretty much every issue for about five years before that when I was teenager. The first issue I got was actually bought for me as a surprise, when I was twelve years old and bedridden with flu or something (and it nearly the Christmas holidays an all) - as there was one particular film I was a tad interested in seeing at the time, I suspect my mum saw the cover in the newsagents and based her decision on that:

(it actually came in a white slipcase thing with a picture of the ring on it, but I can't seem to find a photo. No idea where it is now though, possibly in a box at home or something.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 14
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 16/4/2012 7:48:02 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I remember that cover solely for the reason I failed to buy it (i was on holiday at the time). When i came back and realised what I had missed, lets just say I was very pissed off indeed!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 16/4/2012 7:49:00 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 15
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 16/4/2012 3:50:36 PM   
horribleives

Can't be arsed to find a pic but the first one I bought was the October '93 issue with Clarence and Alabama from True Romance on the cover. The first one I read (and, to be frank, stole from the school library) was from earlier that year that had Mel Gibson on the cover and featured the seminal (though now obsolete) Who Shot Nice Guy Eddie? article with a plan of the warehouse and everything. Marvellous times.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 16
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 26/4/2012 7:20:38 PM   
vivecosse

I came in at #21 (March 1991, Kevin Costner Dances with Wolves), so I have 250 issues in my attic. That's a bunch of landfill!

Any suggestions getting some or all of them to a good home? (Edinburgh area)

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 17
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 26/4/2012 7:57:49 PM   
efc91

First issue I bought was October 2008 #232 bought everyone ever since. However the earliest issue I own was from a couple of years before, issue #200 with Superman on the cover.

My favourite empire would be April 2009 the big Terminator special.

(in reply to vivecosse)
Post #: 18
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 1/5/2012 1:50:57 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

I was going flicking through this issue today and realised that this is the issue where Empire did that excellent Alien 3 featurette (the alternate plan's of it set on a Wooden Planet). Wicked stuff!

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 19
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 1/5/2012 1:52:18 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: efc91

First issue I bought was October 2008 #232 bought everyone ever since. However the earliest issue I own was from a couple of years before, issue #200 with Superman on the cover.

My favourite empire would be April 2009 the big Terminator special.

Thats one of my favourite issues too (see my photo above)!

(in reply to efc91)
Post #: 20
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 1/5/2012 9:31:54 PM   
Fincher

I still remember these issues. Both had great articles!

I probably became reading Empire in 1995 or something...now I read it on the ipad.

< Message edited by Fincher -- 1/5/2012 9:33:10 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 12/5/2012 3:17:30 AM   
stella10

buy my product after your klik this..... [url=www.forsalekitchens.co.uk]cheap kitchens[/url]

cheap kitchens

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 22
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 12/5/2012 8:22:18 PM   
bereski

The first one was Fabuary 2007 issue, with Bourne on cover; my favourite was the 20th birthday Steven Spielberg's edition issue with this great photoshoot, the thickest one.

(in reply to stella10)
Post #: 23
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 13/5/2012 1:47:09 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

(it actually came in a white slipcase thing with a picture of the ring on it, but I can't seem to find a photo.

You mean this?

My first copy aswell and one of the few that I've bothered to keep.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 24
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 13/5/2012 8:41:30 PM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 25
RE: Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite iss... - 30/5/2012 3:52:23 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! Sean Connery, his 'Ushanka' and the Krays on the same cover! Brilliant!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine >> Post pics of your first ever issue OR favourite issue of EMPIRE here! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI