Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Monk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Monk - 10/4/2012 9:49:23 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
A class production that's far removed from the usual co... - 11/6/2013 4:10:03 PM   
bleedingcritic

I watched the Trailer for this film some months ago and was intrigued, mainly because Vincent Cassel was the lead. The Monk (2011) is based on a controversial book published in 1796, written by Matthew Gregory Lewis. For the patient viewer this slow story will draw you back into a suppressive and superstitious time during the 17th Century. If you avoid reading the DVD back cover, you won't have any idea how this visual spiral is going to roll.

Ignore the strapline on the front DVD cover comparing this film to The Woman in Black; there's no comparison whatsoever. This is a creepy experience where you'll lose yourself into the stories spiral and afterwards it'll hang around your mind. There's a characters mask which reminded me of those awesome masks from Stanley Kubrick's final film Eyes Wide Shut (1999), very disturbing. I wouldn't describe this work as a horror, it's more of a gothic psychologically disturbing film, which is fine by me. If you want to watch something different, a slow paced film to watch late at night in the dark, a chillingly atmospheric experience, then you're in for a treat here. It's the well scripted and well acted work on screen that'll give you a quality dose of spookiness.

Vincent Cassel is one of my favorite actors, and he is incredible in this film, the opening scene in the confession box is a very sweet gear to get things started. There's a feeling that your watching a really good Hammer Films production, which is a compliment. I thought about the brilliant The Pit and The Pendulum during the dungeon scene.

The Monk makes you think about how people lived hundreds of years ago, especially the severe punishment inflicted if your true feelings were disclosed within the world of isolated religion. Avoid this experience if you want to go horror hard, then again you'll miss out on a class production that's far removed from the usual conveyor belt filmed trash.

< Message edited by bleedingcritic -- 12/6/2013 12:22:08 PM >

bleedingcritic™
@bleedingfilms
© Copyright 2013 bleedingfilms.com™

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Monk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI