Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:08:57 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief
... but can you get done for calling Thatcher a Tory bitch?

The majority north of Watford would be in jail.

Bit much getting jailed for slagging someone. Granted some things are a no-no. Still, a lad gets jailed for racially abusive language while the BNP can run for office? Ridiculous, no?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 121
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:12:26 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

I'm thinking, you can get charged for calling someone a fenian so-and-so at a football game but can you get done for calling Thatcher a Tory bitch?

Hmmm, arguably, could attaching the term 'bitch' not add a sexist element to the abuse? Certainly I know a fair few women's groups who would object to the term regardless of the type of person it's aimed at.

I don't think there's an aggravated charge based on sexism? Which presumably means gender per se is no longer something regarded as needing specific protections in that context - just the legal protections in eg workforce legislation.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 122
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:20:30 PM   
Rebenectomy

Yeah I was curious throughout all this talk or race, religion, homophobia et al, that there hasn't been any mention of legal implications of gender based abuse. Some of the things you see directed at various women on twitter are far from pleasant, while just a few weeks back I was reading an article about the various threats made to feminist bloggers. I suppose the ongoing abuse and threats would fall under general harassment laws, but casual, occasional comments with a gender slur attached aren't protected under any special law.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 123
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:24:22 PM   
elab49

No. Just, as you say, 'general' abuse.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 124
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 12/4/2012 8:52:22 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

I'm thinking, you can get charged for calling someone a fenian so-and-so at a football game but can you get done for calling Thatcher a Tory bitch?

Yeah but there's a religious aspect to calling one a Fenian these days, plus all the hoo-ha surrounding it.

Yeah, which is why I asked:
quote:

Is there a political equivalent of bigotry? Like, hating someone for their political beliefs instead of religious beliefs?

Would that then put the anti-Tory slur on the same level as the anti-catholic one in terms of a punishable offence? Or is it okay to be vocal in your hatred for one group of people but not another?

It's off at a tangent but I'm sure there's a point there somewhere.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 125
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 12/4/2012 10:37:59 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Yeah but there's a religious aspect to calling one a Fenian these days, plus all the hoo-ha surrounding it.

Yeah, which is why I asked:
quote:

Is there a political equivalent of bigotry? Like, hating someone for their political beliefs instead of religious beliefs?

Would that then put the anti-Tory slur on the same level as the anti-catholic one in terms of a punishable offence? Or is it okay to be vocal in your hatred for one group of people but not another?

It's off at a tangent but I'm sure there's a point there somewhere.

I think politicians of every stripe are fair game. They're pretty much all venal cunts.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 126
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 12/4/2012 1:03:38 PM   
great_badir

The celebration of Thatcher's death (which I, for one, WILL be quietly celebrating) came up in discussion in the British Politics Thread a while ago, and the conversation then followed much the same route as this one (albeit without the whole racism and sexism angle, obviously).

The reason Thacther in particular is hated (and I mean proper hated - almost the type of hate generally reserved for savage dictators) is because at least 75% of the stuff she did was of HER OWN PERSONAL DESIGN and often not done by committee, as most party decisions are. By the end of her "rule", most of her cabinet merely did what they were told and effectively had no actual say in the decisions affecting and effecting this country - Spitting Image's exaggerated depiction of a useless, completely clueless and idiotic tory cabinet being totally subservient to the dominant Thatcher was a LOT closer to the truth than anyone at the time realised.

It is fair, correct and true to say that we are now seeing the result of many of Thatcher's decisions in the current recession, and that the only people who really REALLY benefitted from her time in number 10 were the richer and upper classes.

Basically, she almost single handedly ruined this country's long term prospects. Something which Fabrice Muamba could never do in a million years.

So yeah - you are not comparing eggs with eggs.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 12/4/2012 1:04:16 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 127
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 12/4/2012 3:11:57 PM   
kumar

If twitter was banned then this problem could have been avoided. And if not, then ban the media it was reported on. Ban them all.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 128
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 12/4/2012 8:42:09 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

If twitter was banned then this problem could have been avoided. And if not, then ban the media it was reported on. Ban them all.

Kilo: What do you do with little girls?
Kumar: (shuffles)
Kilo: What do you do with them Kumar? huh?
Kumar: Ban them
Kilo: And old ladies?
Kumar: Ban them
Kilo: And the world Kumar, what would you like to do with the world?
Kumar: Ban it all!
Kilo: See you next year Kumar

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 129
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 27/7/2012 10:22:39 AM   
elab49

This is the only place I can find Paul Chambers being discused thanks to search

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19009344

It remains ludicrous it got this far, but about bloody time someone on the law side didn't show them up for lack of common sense.

quote:

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 130
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 9:34:53 AM   
elab49

I've changed the title of the thread because this is pretty much the same thing that's being discussed in here so there's no need to repeat it.

Yesterday some foul little toad sent some appallingly insulting tweets to Tom Daley post the diving. Today he's been arrested.

Now some people can't it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned about both. Should what the idiot on Twitter did be an arrestable offence? For trolling on Twitter? There was no racial or other content, it was just a foul little tit venting (and probably a stupid kid from the pathetic back-pedalling when the result dropped on him from a great height). Much the same way as often happens on here, the responses of others acted as a significant corrective.

But now the police are reportedly involved. Should they be?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 131
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 9:36:52 AM   
Rgirvan44

Think it was the subsequent threat of killing him that got the police involved rather than the intital tweet.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 132
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 9:42:30 AM   
elab49

And that takes us back to the Twitter trial - did anyone take it seriously?

Lots of people are rude to each other twitter, including threats. But if the press or fame gets involved, suddenly the police seem to be doing something. There's, IMO, a level of inconsistency there as well. E.g. I saw several tweets last night saying 'kill the japs' and some worse - quite a few problems with those. Anyone tracking them down?

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 133
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 9:46:54 AM   
Rgirvan44

Well that is another issue entirely. Twitter is a very very odd place.

What I have noticed is the people who strive to insult other people are the ones most questioning the police here. My rule of thumb is don't be an arse online or offline.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 134
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 9:49:22 AM   
elab49

Indeed.

But if the police are going to get involved with something like Twitter, I do think someone needs to sit down and work out the ins and outs of legalities and not make it seem like 'public outrage' is currently a reason to arrest/charge/question someone.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 135
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 9:58:47 AM   
James2183

Looking back over his Tweets over the month there is a lot of abuse (some racial) featured throughout. There is alos racial abuse in the youtube video that's online too where he threatens another Twitter guy.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 136
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:06:12 AM   
elab49

It's Twitter - he won't be alone. And almost the entire 'japs' trending line is racial abuse. Against a country visiting ours as part of the Olympics. 

quote:

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 137
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:07:14 AM   
elab49

Not to mention the insults and mysogyny on Zoe Smith's. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 138
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:15:12 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Either way the little toad needs a rude awakening. Some of the tweets were horrible. And a completely different tone to the single clear joke that #twitterjoketrial was about. This was a consistent, prolonged attack on multiple people which included racism.

I'm not sure arresting is necessarily the answer, though. It is easy to ignore people on Twitter. Just block them...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 139
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:19:11 AM   
elab49

He does indeed. The later tweets suggested if not his brain had woken up, that someone else's he knows had. 

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 140
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:27:31 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

My rule of thumb is don't be an arse online or offline.

It's a very good rule.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 141
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:28:35 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Rules are meant to be broken tho, eh?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 142
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:37:57 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Rules are meant to be broken tho, eh?

Are you threatening to break his thumb?  You could be arrested for that!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 143
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 10:52:29 AM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

It's a very good rule.

Almost as good as Will Wheaton's Law (link) (meant for online gaming, but applicable in all walks of life)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 144
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 11:09:57 AM   
steffols

Absolutely he should be called to answer for his actions. Most of the press are reporting on the one tweet relating to Daley's father but there was an awful lot of other tweets which to me looks like a sustained attack to get a reaction from someone. A guy on twitter asked me why Daley couldn't have just blocked the guy, the tweets were coming from him as Daley was competing or just after competing, I doubt the lad had time to look at Twitter what with being in the Olympics and everything. The when he does look at Twitter, he's forced to look as this crap from some little weasel.

If this kid had been shouting this stuff at Daley in the street, he wouldn't last long before someone intervened. Yes there is a block button but just because the block button exists doesn't mean we should let little shits like him run riot and say what they want on twitter. I've seen a few people question the right to free speech. What a perverse way of reading that particular right. He wasn't expressing his right to a free opinion, he was being a nasty little shit for the sake of it and he should be held accountable.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 145
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 11:19:23 AM   
Hood_Man

Just seen what he's been sending:

http://thedigitalreport.net/2012/07/uk-diver-tom-daley-subjected-to-abuse-by-twitter-user-rileyy_69/

My favourite one of all though, presumably in response to the abuse he was getting for what he'd been saying:

@TomDaley1994 you shouldn't of got me that hate though i apologised and you didn't even answer me

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 31/7/2012 11:22:18 AM >

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 146
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 11:31:20 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Hadn't seen the tweets.  Wow what a turn around from original nasty tweet, to begging for forgiveness tweets to full on threatening tweets.  Deserves everything he gets, nasty little child.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 147
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 11:48:18 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

I've seen a few people question the right to free speech. What a perverse way of reading that particular right. He wasn't expressing his right to a free opinion, he was being a nasty little shit for the sake of it and he should be held accountable.

"17-yr old idiot in "tweet first, think later" shock" - how has this come as a surprise to anyone?  It's amazing how many people forget that this isn't an absolute right in this country, and that spouting threatening, racist or homophobic bile isn't exercising that right, it's breaking a law.  If you haven't got the good grace not to be a dick online, then you can't complain when your actions come back to bite you on the ass.

My only concern about this particular case is the perceived inconsistency of approach.  It's unreasonable to expect the authorities to monitor each and every tweet/status update etc, but where it has been reported to them, I'd expect a similar course of action from them each time.  If the tweets hurling abuse at the Japanese gymnastics team have been reprted, then let's see some arrests here too.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 148
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 11:48:53 AM   
gunstar

quote:

What a perverse way of reading that particular right. He wasn't expressing his right to a free opinion, he was being a nasty little shit for the sake of it and he should be held accountable.

In that case, around about two thirds of twitter users need arresting.

I look at it like this: If you're going to use a public and open forum to self-publicise, you have to be prepared for some hugely wanky comments from idiots. They are the public after all (a lot of them anyway).

I do believe it is a question of free speech, and in no way a perverse arguement. As elab pointed out a bit earlier, there are no definite boundaries and I worry about this 'malicious communication' easily being used as a way of getting people to stop saying something (and not just vile abuse.)

The kid's a mouthy arsehole. You arrest every single one of them and then you might as well turn the whole country into a floating prison ship. 

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 149
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 31/7/2012 12:00:23 PM   
Harley Quinn

Some of this knobs earlier tweets not aimed at Tom Daley were beyond vile. There were a whole series he sent to someone whose sister had died, mocking his sisters death, (Bad) then describing what he'd do to the body (beyond sick). There were also death threats and a shocking amounts of racism.

Being a dick isn't illegal sadly, racism and death threats are.

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 31/7/2012 1:48:10 PM >

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI