Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 1:56:12 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Anyway, Isn't the racism point moot considering what Stacey initially tweeted? That at the very least is deserving of a roshambo for the total disregard of another man's life. Once you breach the line of intolerance, an individuals right to declare 'freedom of speech' goes out of the window.

Will this also apply when Thatcher eventually dies and the working class are uncorking bottles of champagne all over the country? Does their right to declare 'freedom of speech' also disappear?

Pfft. It'll be bottles of Dog rund wor way, bonny lad.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 91
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 2:00:36 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

Anyway, Isn't the racism point moot considering what Stacey initially tweeted? That at the very least is deserving of a roshambo for the total disregard of another man's life. Once you breach the line of intolerance, an individuals right to declare 'freedom of speech' goes out of the window.

Will this also apply when Thatcher eventually dies and the working class are uncorking bottles of champagne all over the country? Does their right to declare 'freedom of speech' also disappear?

It's different when you diagree with someone. One thing that seems to lack in this whole area is the idea of consistency.
Also what about rappers; they use a lot of language that would have a white person crucified if they used it.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 92
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 2:31:06 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

No. The context and timing are largely different. Thatcher made deeply unpopular policies that affected a great many people who will be glad when she finally shifts on, owing to their own polictical and ideological beliefs. They're entitled to say as much and it's to be expected when you leave such a political legacy and personal history in the public domain. Some will agree with what she did, others will not. That's a great deal different to somene pointing and laughing at a a man who has just collapsed on a football pitch whilst doing his job, don't you think?

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 11/4/2012 2:32:11 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 93
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 2:52:33 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. The context and timing are largely different. Thatcher made deeply unpopular policies that affected a great many people who will be glad when she finally shifts on, owing to their own polictical and ideological beliefs. They're entitled to say as much and it's to be expected when you leave such a political legacy and personal history in the public domain. Some will agree with what she did, others will not. That's a great deal different to somene pointing and laughing at a a man who has just collapsed on a football pitch whilst doing his job, don't you think?

I don't really buy this. If you're bringing personal beliefs and ideologies into it then surely that grants everyone the right to laugh at whoever's death they choose to? Or is it only OK to make fun of someone's death if there are lots of other people doing the same thing? I'm not comfortable with the idea that's it's fine to celebrate some people's deaths and not other people's - after all, who gets to draw the line?

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 94
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 2:59:43 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't really buy this. If you're bringing personal beliefs and ideologies into it then surely that grants everyone the right to laugh at whoever's death they choose to? Or is it only OK to make fun of someone's death if there are lots of other people doing the same thing? I'm not comfortable with the idea that's it's fine to celebrate some people's deaths and not other people's - after all, who gets to draw the line?

It's not Thatcher's beliefs and ideoligies that make her fair game - it's what she did.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 95
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:04:48 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It's not Thatcher's beliefs and ideoligies that make her fair game - it's what she did.

That's entirely subjective though. Besides, I was referring to everyone else's beliefs and ideologies, not hers specifically.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 96
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:07:23 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyone can laugh at anyones death if they so choose. If they then happen to make that disclosure public via twitter straight after the event and are picked up on it by individuals that think that's quite a cuntish thing to do, then said person's action and freedom to say what they think has entered the blurred line of intolerance.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

Post #: 97
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:11:17 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

That's entirely subjective though. Besides, I was referring to everyone else's beliefs and ideologies, not hers specifically.

You don't have to have a particular set of beliefs and ideologies to have been shafted by her government though. My grandad was a lifelong tory and he grew to despise her.
And whether it's subjective or not, millions of people whose communities, industries and lives were ruined by her feel the same way. You can't really say the same about a young footballer can you?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/4/2012 3:41:39 PM >

Post #: 98
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:25:36 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

You don't have to have a particular set of beliefs and ideologies to have neem shafted by her government though. My grandad was a lifelong tory and he grew to despise her.
And whether it's subjective or not, millions of people whose communities, industries and lives were ruined by her feel the same way. You can't really say the same about a young footballer can you?

Exactly. It's not really comparing like for like.

Post #: 99
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:29:21 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about the people who liked what she did, do they get a say?

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 100
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:42:25 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about the people who liked what she did, do they get a say?

They can go jump off a cliff.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 101
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:42:48 PM   
horribleives

A say in what? Whether I choose to celebrate her death? No, they don't.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/4/2012 3:43:47 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 102
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:48:49 PM   
elab49

I don't think he means that. If there is going to be an accepted line of offence that can't be crossed then it can't only come from one side - so if you go with the suggestion above then celebrating the death of a sick old woman would be offensive to some - so why wouldn't their views be an issue (in the context of discussion in this thread).

And this is why there has to be at least a proxy for an objective assessment on what is acceptable and the only one we have is what exists in the legal system (except for online lynch mobs). It's also why that dreadful idea of an offence law was shouted down - because the career offended would have us all gagged in a corner.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/4/2012 3:49:19 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 103
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:54:08 PM   
rawlinson

I think the line in these cases is a simple one really, and it goes back to the point already made. Thatcher (and any other political leader) is being given power over the lives of people in their country. Their day to day actions has a very real impact. A footballer, actor, musician, etc doesn't have the same power. When people celebrate the death of Thatcher they'll be celebrating the death of someone they believe had a negative impact on their lives and their country. When people celebrate the death of a footballer they're just being a cunt.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 104
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 3:59:10 PM   
Woger

Ok who gets to decide where the line is? How do you write it into law?

- - -

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 105
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:00:12 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I don't think he means that. If there is going to be an accepted line of offence that can't be crossed then it can't only come from one side - so if you go with the suggestion above then celebrating the death of a sick old woman would be offensive to some - so why wouldn't their views be an issue (in the context of discussion in this thread).

True, I think my point in relation to TJ's original one was slightly off-topic and more to do with the question of who was the bigger douchebag - someone celebrating the death of a woman who caused them and millions of others untold anguish or a mouthy little bully having a go at a harmless footballer. For the record though, I don't think he should have gone to jail either so I'm certainly not advocating one rule for racists and another for Thatcher-haters.
I guess we'll have to wait 'til she dies and people start Tweeting about it to find out whether the views of Thatcher-lovers are an issue or not...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:01:02 PM   
Woger

quote:

And this is why there has to be at least a proxy for an objective assessment on what is acceptable and the only one we have is what exists in the legal system (except for online lynch mobs). It's also why that dreadful idea of an offence law was shouted down - because the career offended would have us all gagged in a corner.

Exactly, and different people get offended by different things and who gets to decide what's offensive.
To be clear just because I think someone should be allowed to say something doesn't mean I agree with them and the people that say vile things like what the thread is about are usually mouth breathers who are best ignored.

- - -

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 107
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:01:27 PM   
Chief

TJ has a point here, why is it okay to laugh and celebrate the death of one person but not another. Regardless of who they are or what they've done - a human being is a human being is a human being surely?

When bin Laden got capped I was in the 'glad they got the bastard' camp but I'm sure there was plenty of his gang were quite sad and weren't happy with people celebrating it. What if a member of al-Quaeda complained about some of the stuff written - would they have grounds?

Who draws the line?

All purely hypothetical bullshit in the interest of debate!

Edit: Bloody hell, 10 replies before mine. That's what happens when you type between working.

< Message edited by Chief -- 11/4/2012 4:03:07 PM >

Post #: 108
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:02:19 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

True, I think my point in relation to TJ's original one was slightly off-topic and more to do with the question of who was the bigger douchebag - someone celebrating the death of a woman who caused them and millions of others untold anguish or a mouthy little bully having a go at a harmless footballer. For the record though, I don't think he should have gone to jail either so I'm certainly not advocating one rule for racists and another for Thatcher-haters.
I guess we'll have to wait 'til she dies and people start Tweeting about it to find out whether the views of Thatcher-lovers are an issue or not...

I'll also wager there will be an overlap for some of those celebrating Thatcher and mourning Castro!

- - -

Post #: 109
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:03:02 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Ok who gets to decide where the line is? How do you write it into law?

Again, I guess we'll find out when she finally shuffles off and someone gets sent to jail for tweeting Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 110
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:10:16 PM   
elab49

Is it perhaps 2 different things then?

A personal view on whether someone is being a tit is one thing - Stacey obviously was, and I'd think celebrating Thatcher's death would be iffy, even though I think she/her politics were a nightmare for this country. But this is entirely distinct from whether someone has broken the law, which is different to offending someone or being offensive (and, I think, should remain that way).

I can't think celebrating Thatcher's death would break any law and I doubt the public order offences used against Stacey could be used. But then, I do think there is a questionmark over the charges made against Stacey and certainly the sentence.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 111
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:12:43 PM   
rawlinson

Was he actually sentenced for the comments about the possible death or the racial abuse ones?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 112
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:28:31 PM   
elab49

I think it said it was summarised as a racially aggravated public order offence? 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:32:21 PM   
rawlinson

That's why I think this would end up different to a tweet cheering Thatcher's death, the racism element here gave something else to convict on.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:34:46 PM   
elab49

It was 2 different offences though - the racial element was only one part.

quote:

causing intentional harassment, alarm or distress under s4A of the Public Order Act 1988

From DPP's post above, was the other charge.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 115
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:38:21 PM   
rawlinson

But would it have ended up as a prison sentence based solely on that aspect of it or would it have been seen as shaky ground without the racism charges? Where's DPP when you need him?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 4:54:42 PM   
Chief

Is there a political equivalent of bigotry? Like, hating someone for their political beliefs instead of religious beliefs?

I'm thinking, you can get charged for calling someone a fenian so-and-so at a football game but can you get done for calling Thatcher a Tory bitch?

< Message edited by Chief -- 11/4/2012 4:55:41 PM >

Post #: 117
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:03:30 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I'm thinking, you can get charged for calling someone a fenian so-and-so at a football game but can you get done for calling Thatcher a Tory bitch?

Yeah but there's a religious aspect to calling one a Fenian these days, plus all the hoo-ha surrounding it.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 118
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:05:46 PM   
elab49

As Spaldron says - hence the ban of that term on the boards. All of the sentencing notes I can find for Section 4a also refer to religious/racial bigotry so I can't work out what the sentence without the aggravation.

quote:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 119
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 11/4/2012 5:06:43 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Hmmm, arguably, could attaching the term 'bitch' not add a sexist element to the abuse? Certainly I know a fair few women's groups who would object to the term regardless of the type of person it's aimed at.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI