Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 5:17:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Does this mean we can't call each other cunts any more?

You'll be fine as long as you don't intend to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

It depends who gets called c***.

Never a truer word written. There will always be some precious flower who will take offence where none was meant, and some of those are spiteful enough to try to get a person prosecuted.

However s4A (3) provides a defence if you can prove your conduct was reasonable. There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

Ok, I was joking....

And that last line is damn funny

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 31
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 8:56:32 PM   
sam89

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

Boggles my mind a private citizen could face any legal action whatsoever over his views, as long as those views were not advocating violence. If his postings violated TWITTER or FACEBOOK TERMS OF SERVICE, then delete his account. Throwing someone in the brig because they're a racist, no matter how vile their views may be, is an affront to human rights. I was very much surprised to see this happen in the UK.

Exactly. I'm surprised that there's even a debate here. There is absolutely no justification in censoring any speech or expression that does not directly incite violence.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 32
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 9:01:23 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I don't think he should have gone to jail. It's all getting out of hand now. I don't agree with what he did but the consequence was too far. He's just a kid ain't he?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 33
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 9:45:59 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

quote:

Boggles my mind a private citizen could face any legal action whatsoever over his views, as long as those views were not advocating violence. If his postings violated TWITTER or FACEBOOK TERMS OF SERVICE, then delete his account. Throwing someone in the brig because they're a racist, no matter how vile their views may be, is an affront to human rights. I was very much surprised to see this happen in the UK.

Exactly. I'm surprised that there's even a debate here. There is absolutely no justification in censoring any speech or expression that does not directly incite violence.

Yeah, being a dick shouldn't be a crime.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 34
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 11:20:01 PM   
JessFranco

If you go up to someone in the street and call them every racist name under the sun, but stop short of doing or inciting physical violence, should that be protected as freedom of speech?

Holding racist opinions isn't against the law. Expressing racist opinions generally isn't against the law. Directing racist abuse at other people is against the law. The law may be messy and inconsistently applied but that seems fairly reasonable as a point of principle.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 35
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 11:37:45 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Obviously that wouldn't be protected speech, because you're intimidating a person in real life. That is called "harassment" in my country. If you're talking about a footballer who is a public figure, and doing it on the Internet, yes, it should be protected. That is called "saying stupid stuff on the Internet". I don't like racism any more than the next person, but beyond Voltare's famous quote, you also have to be concerned that the next government is going to redefine "abuse" to censor all sorts of speech.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 9/4/2012 11:42:21 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 36
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 11:48:39 PM   
JessFranco

I'm not sure intimidation necessarily come into it. If you're racially abusing someone twice your size they're unlikely to fear for their safety but the psychological impact is still potentially significant. If you're yelling racist insults at black footballers from the terraces, they're not going to be scared of you but you will, quite reasonably in my view, be arrested.

Stacey didn't directly racially abuse Muamba, as far as i'm aware. What he said about the public figure probably wouldn't have been illegal. He did, however, direct a load of racist abuse at individual Twitter users who called him out on it.

Post #: 37
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 9/4/2012 11:54:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

but beyond Voltare's famous quote,

Pedantic I know, but it was Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

Post #: 38
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 12:34:45 AM   
sam89

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

If you go up to someone in the street and call them every racist name under the sun, but stop short of doing or inciting physical violence, should that be protected as freedom of speech?

Yes, presuming it isn't persistent (i.e. harassment). Racist comments are the same as any other kind of insult, and as far as I'm concerned insulting someone shouldn't be a crime. If you're saying that intimidation doesn't come into it, then what would the perpetrator be arrested for - hurting someone's feelings? The line only needs to be drawn at the point of intimidation, which I'm sure is covered by harassment laws and laws against the incitement of violence.

The situation you described above is actually protected in America under the First Amendment, in which it is made unconstitutional to criminalise hate speech. Say what you like about the Americans, but we could take a lesson or two from the First Amendment here in the UK.

< Message edited by sam89 -- 10/4/2012 1:06:06 AM >

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 39
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:26:11 AM   
superdan

quote:

Racist comments are the same as any other kind of insult

No they're not. To pretend otherwise is to be disingenuous.

< Message edited by superdan -- 10/4/2012 1:27:21 AM >

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 40
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:35:31 AM   
sam89

Historically that may be the case. But how does that apply now?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 41
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:38:15 AM   
Hood_Man

What worries me about this is the Fraping culture we have on Facebook or Twitter. I'm sure lots of us have done it to other people, and I'm sure most of us know someone who always likes to go that little bit too far with the joke. If something happened where someone posted a comment under your name that got you in trouble, I hope that your defence wouldn't then have to rest on the decency of the person who committed the crime, to come forward and clear your name, and then be punished themselves?

I don't know how IP addresses etc would work in this, but if something awful was posted from my mobile phone for instance over a 3G connection, what chance would I have in claiming that I didn't do it?

I'm genuinely worried about this now

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 42
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 4:45:52 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

What worries me about this is the Fraping culture we have on Facebook or Twitter. I'm sure lots of us have done it to other people, and I'm sure most of us know someone who always likes to go that little bit too far with the joke. If something happened where someone posted a comment under your name that got you in trouble, I hope that your defence wouldn't then have to rest on the decency of the person who committed the crime, to come forward and clear your name, and then be punished themselves?

I don't know how IP addresses etc would work in this, but if something awful was posted from my mobile phone for instance over a 3G connection, what chance would I have in claiming that I didn't do it?

I'm genuinely worried about this now

I think we should perhaps take a step back and realise that millions of people are happily directing homophobic, racist and bigoted views and insults at others every week all across the world. The fact that this one case resulted in prosecution (because it was to do with football? Cynical me) should perhaps be put in perspective.

< Message edited by Kilo_T_Mortal -- 10/4/2012 4:46:08 AM >

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 43
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 6:49:18 AM   
JessFranco

quote:

It'll apply until people are no longer abused, physically attacked and discriminated against based on the colour of their skin.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 44
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 7:35:48 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

quote:

It'll apply until people are no longer abused, physically attacked and discriminated against based on the colour of their skin.

Or we all interbreed until we are pretty much the same colour.

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 45
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 7:48:26 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

Racist comments are the same as any other kind of insult, and as far as I'm concerned insulting someone shouldn't be a crime. If you're saying that intimidation doesn't come into it, then what would the perpetrator be arrested for - hurting someone's feelings? The line only needs to be drawn at the point of intimidation, which I'm sure is covered by harassment laws and laws against the incitement of violence.

Not quite understanding this to be honest. If a man confronts a young black woman in the street and racially abuses her then that is intimidation, surely? Or are you suggesting she just "shrugs it off"? The old "sticks and stones" adage surely can't apply to everything.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 46
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 8:32:25 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

"It's no different to saying Jimmy Hill has a big chin". But we shouldn't be surprised by this statement because footballers, people who play football and in fact anyone who knows anything about football is filthy reactionary scum.

horribleives

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 47
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 10:03:58 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

"It's no different to saying Jimmy Hill has a big chin". But we shouldn't be surprised by this statement because footballers, people who play football and in fact anyone who knows anything about football is filthy reactionary scum.

It's good to see that Kilo is equally capable at tarring everyone with the same brush as much as the bigots and homophobes of the world...

Anyway, Isn't the racism point moot considering what Stacey initially tweeted? That at the very least is deserving of a roshambo for the total disregard of another man's life. Once you breach the line of intolerance, an individuals right to declare 'freedom of speech' goes out of the window.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 48
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:09:35 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot
Once you breach the line of intolerance, an individuals right to declare 'freedom of speech' goes out of the window.

Not so sir! Who draws the line? What is the line? When has one crossed it? And how did they make the declaration?

horribleives

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 49
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:10:40 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

quote:

It's good to see that Kilo is equally capable at tarring everyone with the same brush as much as the bigots and homophobes of the world...

Unfortunately Stuart Lee said it first, but the point still stands.

horribleives

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 50
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:14:09 AM   
elab49

It's not a point though, it's just a silly generalised attack on a mass disparate group of people. My mum can name some of the old Scotland team - so she's filthy reactionary scum? See - it's stupid. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 51
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:20:11 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Once you breach the line of intolerance, an individuals right to declare 'freedom of speech' goes out of the window.

Not so sir! Who draws the line? What is the line? When has one crossed it? And how did they make the declaration?

In this instance the response Lacey received from the average tweeter to his initial 'LOL' tweet was justification enough that speaking ill of a man that had just collapsed and possibly died was a step to far. I'd like to think that most people of a reasonable disposition would come to the same conclusion.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 52
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:25:59 AM   
elab49

Problem with that would be who drew the line of intolerance - some have it a lot shorter than others.

I have no issue with what he did breaching common decency, but freedom of speech (within the bounds of the law) should be just that - it still allows idiots to act like idiots (which is useful because it singles them out for everyone else to point and laugh). Cynical though it is, in a world where the Mail has the most popular newspaper website in the world, I simply wouldn't rely on a concept like a reasonable persons disposition. And I am genuinely concerned that 'public outrage' had any factor in the adjudication on this case. Which takes me back to the quote regularly misattributed to Voltaire referenced above.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 53
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:29:12 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's not a point though, it's just a silly generalised attack on a mass disparate group of people. My mum can name some of the old Scotland team - so she's filthy reactionary scum? See - it's stupid. 

The humor is derived from the statement itself being reactionary.

horribleives

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 54
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:32:35 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

There is that, but there's also the fact that Lee has been tediously and smugly wearing his hatred of football as a badge of pseudo-sophisticated cool for years now.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 10/4/2012 11:33:03 AM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 55
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 11:36:52 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Your problem there would be the suggestion it masquerades as 'humour'.

quote:

Post #: 56
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:22:34 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Racist comments are the same as any other kind of insult, and as far as I'm concerned insulting someone shouldn't be a crime. If you're saying that intimidation doesn't come into it, then what would the perpetrator be arrested for - hurting someone's feelings? The line only needs to be drawn at the point of intimidation, which I'm sure is covered by harassment laws and laws against the incitement of violence.

Not quite understanding this to be honest. If a man confronts a young black woman in the street and racially abuses her then that is intimidation, surely? Or are you suggesting she just "shrugs it off"? The old "sticks and stones" adage surely can't apply to everything.

Intimidation is irrelevant. If you verbally abuse a person in public, be it racially or otherwise, you can be arrested (if by some miracle there is a constable nearby).

A police constable has the power to intervene where there is a breach of the peace. If after the intervention the person breaching the peace continues to do so the Public Order Act provides a constable with the power to arrest them. Of course if the victim is intimidated it will be an aggravating factor when considering what would be a fair sentence should there be a successful prosecution.

This power only exists in public places. If the same abuse occurs in a private dwelling the police can only intervene if it is causing a public nuisance, if they are invited to, if they have a warrant from the court or there is reason to believe there is immediate danger to a person's safety.

What this case seems to be saying is a public internet forum should be treated the same as any "real" public place. If what you say could get you in trouble in the real world, it could just as easily get you in trouble in the virtual one. It is one of those legal analogies I wrote about previously.

When I wrote you can only be in trouble for calling someone a cunt if you intend to upset them isn't really the case as s5 of the Public Order Act provides a similar offence where no intention to cause harassment, alarm or distress is present. You just have to be aware someone might be.

However on a forum such as this, which has a code of conduct and its own private police force: a thin green line if you will, where if anything gets really untoward a ban will be given, the bad conduct would have to be spectacularly inappropriate to necessitate external intervention.

Twitter on the other hand is unmoderated.

Thinking about it on those terms, that when you post online it is equivalent to saying something in a public place for all to hear, it seem somewhat less unreasonable; at least to me.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 57
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:23:24 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your problem there would be the suggestion it masquerades as 'humour'.

The chin on chin violence thing is good. Watch it it's worth it.

horribleives

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 58
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:28:13 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

There is that, but there's also the fact that Lee has been tediously and smugly wearing his hatred of football as a badge of pseudo-sophisticated cool for years now.

Pseudo-sophisticated? really? why? But I suppose I am tediously making a point through my love of Stewart Lee as a secret badge to other Stewart Lee fans. The point being the stand up routine in question makes several good point about why racist abuse is worse than normal abuse. Sorry everyone.

horribleives

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 59
RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? - 10/4/2012 1:31:10 PM   
great_badir

Ban this sick football filth!

Ban it now, I say.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Should Liam Stacey have gone to prison? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI