Hitchcock’s Suspicion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Hitchcock’s Suspicion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hitchcock’s Suspicion - 8/4/2012 5:29:22 PM   
385North

Hitchcock’s Suspicion; a film I shamefully admit to be completely unaware of until recently, but is without doubt something I must now add to my collection of classics.

I’ve since read that the studio interfered with the ending to portray Cary Grant as less villainous than the character was in the book, but personally I didn't think the so-called cop-out ending was all that bad. Grant’s performance as the handsome, irresponsible cad Johnnie Aysgarth was so believably good, that I could have bought into him being either the murderer or merely a compulsive gambler down on his luck.

By the looks of things the DVD options are slim, with the R1 Warner version being the only real option, therefore DVD Pacific here I come...

Anyone else enjoy this?
Post #: 1
RE: Hitchcock’s Suspicion - 21/7/2012 11:26:50 AM   
williamholdenfan

Hi,

I love this film alot.Mostly due to Joan's portrayal of a fragile,lovestruck girl turning into a paranoic hysteric(I have yet to find another actress who can play characters like that the way she could).Cary also shines as the brooding,is he isn't he killer.My only complaint with this one is after all the build up,Hitch doesn't have the guts to give it the dark ending it should have had,thus robbing it(in my opinion)of classic status.

Still it's enjoyable and well acted.I wish Cary and Joan had acted together again thought they had lovely chemistry.

Maddy

< Message edited by williamholdenfan -- 21/7/2012 11:27:07 AM >

(in reply to 385North)
Post #: 2
RE: Hitchcock’s Suspicion - 21/7/2012 4:19:09 PM   
AmityBodega1977

It's one of Hitckcocks so I had to have it to add to the rest of my collection, but it is one of the weaker of the great man's work in my opinion. It has some nice touches but it looks like he was being reigned in a lot and didn't have much freedom. Joan Fontaine won an Oscar for her role but she doesn't have much range except to look terrified a lot! much like her performance in Rebecca. Cary Grant looks a bit out of place too and the part would have been much more suited to Ray Milland (Dial M For Murder)
It's watchable but this was his early Hollywood days when he didn't have the freedom he later had.

(in reply to 385North)
Post #: 3
RE: Hitchcock’s Suspicion - 2/9/2012 6:36:11 AM   
siegfried

Watchable, but definitely one of the master's lesser efforts.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to AmityBodega1977)
Post #: 4
RE: Hitchcock’s Suspicion - 2/9/2012 7:43:03 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

Watchable, but definitely one of the master's lesser efforts.

Agree, I watched it for the first time the other night, and it had some good bits but an awful ending.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Hitchcock’s Suspicion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI