Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Golf Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Golf - 5/4/2012 10:50:53 AM   
boaby

Or "gowf"

Could not find a thread.

The sport those of us with crap football teams turn to come the spring and the end of the dreaded winter greens.

'tis but a rare pleasure for me these days. Heinous prices. I used to get the cooncil courses for free as a perk of a former summer job - no-one remains who knows my face these days.

I do enjoy the majors on the tellybox though.

It's Masters time. Huzzah!

Pity that Murdoch - incorrigable hungry hippo that he is - keeps on chomping the tastiest morsels. One thing Auntie did well was the Masters. Have to tolerate Monty, Butch and sundry other pitiful excuses for Alliss.

3 Scots in the field this year. Paul Lawrie's playing nae bad for a change. Local loon and big Dons fan so hope he does well. Martin Laird might do OK. Auld Sandy might post one good round.

I always hope Sergio pulls it together for one week.

It looks quite open this year, a few playing well, a few who've won it before and that annoying Tiger lurking with intent again.

Yet another sporting feast to distract me from work. Huzzah!

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."
Post #: 1
RE: Golf - 5/4/2012 11:37:33 AM   
Rob

So have the Beeb got any live coverage of the first two days? I can't seem to work it out but don't they usually show Amen Corner for the first couple of days and then full coverage of the final days?

Is that no longer the case?

Anyway I'd love Donald, Westwood or Woods to win personally

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2
RE: Golf - 5/4/2012 11:58:38 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I think it is Sky that has the live coverage and highlights on the BBC.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 3
RE: Golf - 5/4/2012 2:29:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm sure I've seen a thread before and it was like US Masters 2008 or something, so well due a new one.

I love watching the majors, gonna be on holiday in Ireland over the weekend so that's usually good for having a few in the bar and watching the putts go in if one of the Irish contingent is in with a shout.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 4
RE: Golf - 5/4/2012 2:30:49 PM   
jonson

Fingers crossed for Westwood or Donald, there's a good chance we'll have an Enlgishman win this year. Woods will be there, he seems to have his game on and I hope and pray if Mcilroy is leading he doesn't do what he did last year.
I'm playing at The Warwickshire tomorrow so I should be in the 19th watching by the time it tees off.

Sadly, it's the only sport on TV the wife can't stand. I get away with football, rugby, boxing, F1, tennis, even Nascar but for some reason she tuts when the golf is on.
Thankfully I normally have a cushion to hand.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 5
RE: Golf - 5/4/2012 2:40:33 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Fingers crossed for Westwood or Donald, there's a good chance we'll have an Enlgishman win this year. Woods will be there, he seems to have his game on and I hope and pray if Mcilroy is leading he doesn't do what he did last year.

I can't see him being a reeeeaalll Munson this year as well

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 6
RE: Golf - 5/4/2012 5:51:37 PM   
Toby Monroe

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 7
RE: Golf - 6/4/2012 10:37:12 AM   
boaby

Great start by Westwood and Lawrie.

Had Westwood's short game held up better then he'd be well ahead. Story of his career I guess.

Loved Jack Nicklaus's blether with the lesser mortals. Majors are teh easiest to win... get that right up ye Monty.

Luuuuuuuuuuke made another rickets of it in a major.

Tiger, Phil, Rory all struggling to various degrees.

Interesting weekend ahead.

C'mon Paul min.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 8
RE: Golf - 6/4/2012 10:49:31 AM   
superdan

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Sky's coverage from the little I saw yesterday. Put it on when I got in from work at about 7 until 8.30 for 'live' coverage and I don't think I saw more than 5 shots in the first hour. The presenters seemed a bunch of stuttering bumbling amateurs and Monty really did my head in. Nicklaus was cool though, which just made the others look even worse. And it's just not the same listening to the Masters without hearing Peter Alliss' voice.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 9
RE: Golf - 6/4/2012 1:24:23 PM   
London Calling

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with Sky's coverage from the little I saw yesterday. Put it on when I got in from work at about 7 until 8.30 for 'live' coverage and I don't think I saw more than 5 shots in the first hour. The presenters seemed a bunch of stuttering bumbling amateurs and Monty really did my head in. Nicklaus was cool though, which just made the others look even worse. And it's just not the same listening to the Masters without hearing Peter Alliss' voice.

I was the same yesterday, stuck it on about 7 but apparently they're not allowed to show any live coverage until after 8pm.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 10
RE: Golf - 6/4/2012 2:50:27 PM   
boaby

red button is your friend. From 3.45pm:

Amen corner
15 & 16
2 featured groups.

Beeb will be getting watched o'er the weekend. Pity there's no Torrance anymore though. He was a good listen.

(in reply to London Calling)
Post #: 11
RE: Golf - 6/4/2012 8:29:34 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

red button is your friend. From 3.45pm:

Amen corner
15 & 16
2 featured groups.

Beeb will be getting watched o'er the weekend. Pity there's no Torrance anymore though. He was a good listen.

I'm looking forward to it; I'm really not a fan of Sky's coverage. They never seem to stop talking, they go to the full leaderboard about every thirty seconds, and they have adverts.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 6/4/2012 8:30:50 PM >

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 12
RE: Golf - 7/4/2012 3:24:50 PM   
Whistler

I actually spoke too soon last night; Sky's coverage wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Still prefer the BBC's, but the golf is the main thing.

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 13
RE: Golf - 9/4/2012 12:46:43 AM   
LEEJGM

I had a sportman's bet with a guy at work that Bubba Watson would win and was considering putting money on it. Gutted, he was 33/1.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: Golf - 9/4/2012 1:28:39 AM   
Whistler

It was a great day to finish the Masters. An amazing albatross and two hole in ones, awesome. A bit gutted for Westwood; once again he came so close. Also gutted for Oosthuizen, I was totally rooting for him in that playoff, but kudos to Watson for that immense 2nd shot to the green. All in all, a great day of golf

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 15
RE: Golf - 9/4/2012 10:24:27 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler
A bit gutted for Westwood; once again he came so close.

If he could putt he'd have won by about 5 strokes.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 16
RE: Golf - 13/4/2012 9:42:30 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Did anyone see that Garcia interview, jesus wept ! I love Sergio the guy just needs to knuckle down now and he can most definately win one. His putting has actually improve but far too much negativity surrounds his game, he pretty much talked himself out of it after the second round when he was 2 off the lead.

Regarding Westood I just never had him pegged for winning the Masters, sure he's come close but his short game all round has never been good enough for that course.
Open and the US are the big ones for Lee. Also I think they were making too much of Mickleson having 21 fewer putts, the amount of times he's pitching or chipping up to the hole from a loose iron shot there's no wonder he has more 1 putts. I wouldn't say he was a terrible putter more average who had a shocking week on the greens, wonde if the belly putter will be given a go.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 17
RE: Golf - 13/8/2012 9:32:29 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Apparently there was some kind of golfing game on while everyone was watching the Olympics and Rory McIlroy took his second major, winning by 8 shots. Should be on track for a gold at 2016 now

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 18
RE: Golf - 13/8/2012 9:54:39 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Apparently there was some kind of golfing game on while everyone was watching the Olympics and Rory McIlroy took his second major, winning by 8 shots. Should be on track for a gold at 2016 now

Yeah, I missed most of it, kind of swamped by the Olympics (in fact, I should get a refund from Sky Sports for not having watched it for 3 weeks) but well done McIlroy, well chuffed for him.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 19
RE: Golf - 13/8/2012 1:16:51 PM   
boaby

Rory seems suited to the Yank stuff.

Regarding him in 2016: I've already heard the media stirring about whether he'll play for Team GB, Ireland or at all.

I get the feeling it might be not at all. When the inevitable was asked of him: "Are you a Rangers fan or a Celtic fan?" he answered "Aberdeen". I guess to avoid the question rather than to express a genuine support of the mighty Dons. He might just decide it's not worth the hassle.

Looked a pretty European leaderboard. Good. Bring on the Ryder Cup.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 20
RE: Golf - 13/8/2012 1:19:44 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Regarding him in 2016: I've already heard the media stirring about whether he'll play for Team GB, Ireland or at all.

I get the feeling it might be not at all.

I thought that when I wrote it. That makes me sad in truth.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Golf Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI