Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Mummy Reboots? - 5/4/2012 8:47:18 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 5/4/2012 8:47:18 AM   
waltham1979

I heard they were planning on rebooting Harry Potter next...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 5/4/2012 9:12:37 AM   
Whistler

I would make a 'fed up' comment, but I just can't be bothered...

Post #: 3
- 5/4/2012 10:19:49 AM   
sweetladybrick

There's plenty of scope for a reinvention- the Sommers films tried the Indiana Jones approach, and anyone who's seen the Karloff version will know how different that is (creepy). I'd like a small scale version, but i saw 'epic' up there, so i'm on the fence here, leaning towards 'bad idea', I've long since got over the exhausting recycling process of mainstream cinema. This shouldn't be a surprise, after all The Wolfman is being rebooted isn't it?

Post #: 4
wasnt the last one made to cash in on Indy 4? - 5/4/2012 10:45:28 AM   
jackcarter

it seemed like Universal thought hey Indy 4s out summer 08 we'll do another Mummy too.' although to be fair Indy 4 did feel abit like The Mummy Returns at times

Post #: 5
no - 5/4/2012 11:00:58 AM   
revanmalak

the original karloff and the christopher lee ones were scary and creepy.the newer ones were just action films with nothing scary about them at all.

Post #: 6
make some new films ffs - 5/4/2012 2:44:47 PM   
artilleryman

Or when's the reboot of Prometheus due?

Post #: 7
RE: make some new films ffs - 5/4/2012 3:16:29 PM   
S. C. Lee

Originality is dead.
Post #: 8
RE: make some new films ffs - 5/4/2012 3:16:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

If Hollywood are (as it seems) out of ideas maybe I can finally pitch my amazing Film ideas at them.
I have:
Space Monkeys Of Death Mountain
The Man With The Inviciable Dog
Space Monkeys Of Death Mountain 2: The Rise Of The Great Bum Midgets
Alien Vs Predator Vs Mrs Doubtfire Vs Pingu Vs Some Bloke (Samual.L.Jackson.He eventually dies,because he's black,..obviously)
CasaBlanka,Staring Blanka out of Street Fighter
The Life And Times Of A Turkey On Death-Row (Documentary)
The EnglishMan Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down On Some RollerBlades From Space

So many Ideas.
Post #: 9
RE: The Mummy Reboots? - 5/4/2012 4:36:10 PM   
Phubbs

Hey I already did this haha you didn't do your search Empire
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3378852

Post #: 10
Im normally tolerent but this is riduculous - 5/4/2012 7:37:59 PM   
bigollytg

I dont mind that we have a lode of seqeuls and reeboots they come of well most of the time but wth seriolsy this is just takeing the piss and is just pure lazyness bin this idea now and come up with a new mummy idea entirly lazy asses. phew rant over.

Post #: 11
Should have rebooted - 5/4/2012 9:35:45 PM   
Oliver Shuter

i think they that they should ahve rebooted the franchise instead of making Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Post #: 12
Re: I'm normally tolerant.... - 5/4/2012 10:05:08 PM   
thanet

@ bigollytg: Ouch, ouch, ouch! For your sake I really hope you are dyslexic. If you are then please ignore this, that’s a perfectly valid reason for having bad spelling (yes I’m dyslexic myself, and thus well aware of how hard it can be). If you are not, however, then please get yourself some English classes quick smart! You honestly could really do with them – I can count at least nineteen spelling and grammar mistakes in just that short rant of yours, that’s a whole third of what you wrote!

As for the reboot, if they take the bare bones of the idea and completely rework it into a much darker, more menacing thriller akin to The Dark Knight, then I could be open to it working – after all, just about EVERYONE thought TDK was a bad idea until they saw it and then (nearly all) came out saying that it was awesome!!!! But if they are going to do another light-hearted family version then please, please drop the idea now - it’s as bad as thinking The Mummy 3 would work without Rachel Weiz.

Post #: 13
Re: I'm normally tolerant.... - 5/4/2012 10:05:55 PM   
thanet

@ bigollytg: Ouch, ouch, ouch! For your sake I really hope you are dyslexic. If you are then please ignore this, that’s a perfectly valid reason for having bad spelling (yes I’m dyslexic myself, and thus well aware of how hard it can be). If you are not, however, then please get yourself some English classes quick smart! You honestly could really do with them – I can count at least nineteen spelling and grammar mistakes in just that short rant of yours, that’s a whole third of what you wrote!

As for the reboot, if they take the bare bones of the idea and completely rework it into a much darker, more menacing thriller akin to The Dark Knight, then I could be open to it working – after all, just about EVERYONE thought TDK was a bad idea until they saw it and then (nearly all) came out saying that it was awesome!!!! But if they are going to do another light-hearted family version then please, please drop the idea now - it’s as bad as thinking The Mummy 3 would work without Rachel Weiz.

Post #: 14
- 5/4/2012 10:07:43 PM   
thanet

Apologies for the double post - "There has been an internal error, please try again"

Post #: 15
Worth a Re-boot! - 5/4/2012 11:12:47 PM   
dannyfletch

The Stephen Sommers Mummy movies are pretty poor to be honest and nothing like what the Mummy should be about. Hopefully this time round it'll be darker with more horror than comedy with a believable heroic lead other than Brendan Fraser! I think this is a franchise in desperate need of a re-boot!

Post #: 16
Worth a Re-boot! - 5/4/2012 11:13:19 PM   
dannyfletch

The Stephen Sommers Mummy movies are pretty poor to be honest and nothing like what the Mummy should be about. Hopefully this time round it'll be darker with more horror than comedy with a believable heroic lead other than Brendan Fraser! I think this is a franchise in desperate need of a re-boot!

Post #: 17
I thought the first mummy film... - 5/4/2012 11:27:08 PM   
criffle

was an enjoyable romp, but the various spin-offs and sequels were admittedly pretty lame. They need to return the Mummy to it's original horror roots, and create a creepy suspense thriller rather than a fun action romp. With the right direction and actors, this could have potential to be a modern horror classic. This is one of the few reboots I support!

Post #: 18
benclarke2000 - 6/4/2012 1:06:24 AM   
benclarke2000

Please don't skive anymore more english classes bigollytg!

Post #: 19
RE: benclarke2000 - 6/4/2012 3:28:58 AM   
Phubbs

But my friends, can a realistic horror of the Mummy actually work these days and be scary? the Karloff version was made in a different era when things like that easily scared innocent audiences. These days I don't think it will work, especially as a mummy isn't really too scary..unless you go down the 'fast zombie' route but then your're ruining the class of the franchise.

(in reply to benclarke2000)
Post #: 20
RE: The Mummy Reboots? - 6/4/2012 5:07:18 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Not every aspect of the Sommers remake holds up, but his over all aesthetic I thought worked well. Sort of David Roberts by way of Roger Corman. Anyway, I love ancient Egypt and Egyptian mythology, and while I'm hoping they go for creepy suspense as in the Karloff original, in any case I'm certainly not going to object to some new Mummy movies. The concept is ripe for exploration, and IMHO it has the potential to be truly scary.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 7/4/2012 5:18:42 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: benclarke2000 - 8/4/2012 5:45:31 PM   
princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

But my friends, can a realistic horror of the Mummy actually work these days and be scary? the Karloff version was made in a different era when things like that easily scared innocent audiences. These days I don't think it will work, especially as a mummy isn't really too scary..unless you go down the 'fast zombie' route but then your're ruining the class of the franchise.

Agreed i think there'll make this another actioner but a bit darker. Shame that Hollywood is doing all these re-boots etc. There's just too many of them IMO. Never mind. This film will make money so it's all good for the makers.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 22
NOOOOOOOOO! - 10/4/2012 3:16:59 PM   
gbain

Please god no more - the horse has been flogged, it wants no more... Let it rest in peace...

Post #: 23
Please god no more - the horse has been flogged, it wan... - 10/4/2012 3:18:17 PM   
gbain

Let it rest in peace...

Post #: 24
- 24/7/2012 7:31:29 PM   
Jack The Green

In a way I agree with them on remaking the mummy franchise but on the other hand I strongly disagree. Yes, both sequels to the 1999 mummy sucked more than anything in the world. They took everything that made the first one good and ruined everything. But, the first Mummy is just way too memorable to reimagine. They got it right the first time. It's when they keep trying to keep it up is when it all falls to disaster. I hate the sequels but The Mummy(1999) is a classic that needs no reimagining.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Mummy Reboots? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI