Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Cabin In The Woods

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Cabin In The Woods Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 7/4/2012 2:57:00 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I too thought that the trailer looked like a pile of gash and my hopes were then somewhat diminished. Watch this space I guess!

Edt: The "Grid"... "thingy", did look very intriguing, I indeed concur with Spalds there.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 7/4/2012 2:59:01 AM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 31
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 7/4/2012 3:00:42 AM   
Rgirvan44

Honestly - even that is a red herring of sorts.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 32
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 2:28:30 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I believe it too! I'm getting more and more intrigued by the trailer and will definitely be checking this one out. Having a Cineworld card means I'm that I'll be no longer wasting my money if it's rubbish.

Art

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 11:58:42 AM   
adambatman82

I didn't see the trailer til after I saw the film and can attest to its rubbishness. The film must be a nightmare to market tho, I don't envy the task of anyone charged with that task.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 34
Seriously Empire, lose your reviewers. - 9/4/2012 12:24:12 PM   
sephiroth7

It's like a fable at this point. Great magazine with amazing news features but completely idiotic reviews. Cabin is the most original horror in decades and the fact that it isn't Scream is a good thing. It's far better.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 7:26:19 PM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I didn't see the trailer til after I saw the film and can attest to its rubbishness. The film must be a nightmare to market tho, I don't envy the task of anyone charged with that task.

Are you saying the film or the trailer is rubbish?

I thought the film was brilliant for the record (and to quantify that, I mean brilliant for what it was - a comedy horror film)

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 36
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 7:28:56 PM   
S. C. Lee

It's not even showing at our cinema DVD it is.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 37
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 8:38:21 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

Are you saying the film or the trailer is rubbish?

I thought the film was brilliant for the record (and to quantify that, I mean brilliant for what it was - a comedy horror film)

Sorry, I'm saying the trailer is rubbish. I thought the film was excellent, against many odds (the only thing I dislike more than the horror genre is the work of Joss Whedon).

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 38
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 8:40:10 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

It's not out 'til Friday, and don't most cinema chains release their timetables on a Tuesday?

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 39
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 9/4/2012 9:11:04 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I've got the script and even I was surprised the trailers gave a lot away. I'd say avoid them if you can.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 40
For once Empire gets it right... - 9/4/2012 10:19:50 PM   
waqas5050

With regards to an over-hyped film that is. I saw an advance screening last week and for me this has to be the biggest disappointment of the year (so far).

I was really looking forward to it after hearing all the hype from film festivals as to how it will redefine the horror genre. And with Joss Whedon's name attached, I was expecting something special.

But while I was watching this all i could think was what a missed opportunity of epic proportions!! Forget any real irony or subversiveness; neither scary or funny, unmemorable characters, implausible even within the realms of horror/science fiction; build up to a twist that is that isn't really a twist (I am pretty sure they came up with that at the last minute and pulled out a big name star hoping no-one would realise what a cop-out it really is) and an underwhelming ending with no point! Makes you appreciate Scream which masterfully dissected the modern horror movie and remained scary and funny at the same time. So overall like an average episode of 'Tales From the Darkside' from the 80s but without a decent twist.

And if you do feel the urge to see a film about a cabin in the woods and have already seen The Evil Dead, go rent the little seen but wonderful Tucker & Dale vs Evil instead.

Post #: 41
no sense to me? - 10/4/2012 8:34:36 AM   
dragon_irl

WTF? Did anyone actually read this review? Can't make head nor tail of it...

Post #: 42
no sense to me? - 10/4/2012 8:34:42 AM   
dragon_irl

WTF? Did anyone actually read this review? Can't make head nor tail of it...

Post #: 43
- 11/4/2012 11:53:42 AM   
odddaze

Best thing I've seen so far this year. Smart script, great direction and pacing and just a wonderful romp. Can't recommend this highly enough. The best horror satire since Scream.

Post #: 44
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 11/4/2012 1:13:09 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

It's not out 'til Friday, and don't most cinema chains release their timetables on a Tuesday?

On the Cineworld website they usually say in advance. They're already advertising the times for Avengers.

Post #: 45
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 11/4/2012 8:38:08 PM   
odddaze

quote:

quote:

quote:

On the Cineworld website they usually say in advance. They're already advertising the times for Avengers.

I doubt this film has quite the same pull as The Avengers despite the similar people being involved.

I am The Ugly Truth!

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 46
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 11/4/2012 9:55:56 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: odddaze

quote:

quote:

quote:

I doubt this film has quite the same pull as The Avengers despite the similar people being involved.

Indeed. The Avengers is the exception to the rule. As someone whose working week revolves around the new release times of his local cineworld I can assure everyone that they put up their times for the coming week on a Tuesday. Big blockbusters get a bigger lead, but like I say, they're the exception.

(in reply to odddaze)
Post #: 47
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 12/4/2012 7:40:40 AM   
S. C. Lee

Thanks for that, I may wait for DVD anyway.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 12/4/2012 7:58:34 AM >

Post #: 48
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 12/4/2012 6:14:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

Remember the advertising campaign for The Matrix way back in 1999 (there are now teenagers alive who weren’t born when that came out. Go ahead and grab a drink, I’ll wait) which had the tagline “No one can tell you what the Matrix is, you have to see it for yourself”?

Well, that rings true for this years The Cabin in the Woods, from Cloverfield director Drew Goddard and upcoming Avengers director Joss Whedon. And the tagline isn’t the only thing Woods has in common with the Matrix…

As nearly every decent reviewer has pointed out, it is nearly impossible to explain why the movie is as good as it is, without spoiling the surprises that lie in wait for audiences. But take this into account. The movie is nearly two hours long, and just about everything you have seen in the trailer takes place within the first hour and a bit.

Those that have seen the film call it a deconstruction of the horror genre. While this is true, it is never done with the same cynicism which the postmodern Scream had. It doesn’t laugh at genre conventions but rather embraces them, while at the same time subverting them. The script, written by Goddard and Whedon, pays its respects to the horror genre, while at the same time giving audiences a fine mix of comedy and frights. There are some genuinely laugh out loud classic scenes in there.

The young cast of victims are fun and charming. You warm to them quickly. But the movie is stolen by a certain older cast member who may or may not, have been a main character in an American political drama.

When Scream came out, people asked whether it was the end for horror, or more to the point, the type of horror movies which were made in 1980s/early 90s.

But as it turned out, it made barely a dent. Why? Because like a fairground ride, audiences want to be scared, but be scared within the context of a familiar setting. When your film is set in a remote cabin in the middle of nowhere, you have a fair idea what is going to happen.

The Cabin in the Woods feels like a line has been drawn on what has come before, and is almost throwing down a gauntlet and challenging filmmakers to come up with new ideas. While I suspect the film won’t be a huge hit in cinemas (it was sitting unreleased for an age while MGM was in trouble) it will slowly but surely become a cult classic.

If you have any interest in horror, you need to see this. If you have any interest in films which are funny, scary and downright odd at times, you need to see this. Don’t wait till the DVD to become part of the conversation.

So far this year has been a mixed bag. If the rest of the year produces films half as good as The Cabin in the Woods, we will be in luck.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 49
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 13/4/2012 1:22:05 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Remember the advertising campaign for The Matrix way back in 1999 (there are now teenagers alive who weren’t born when that came out. Go ahead and grab a drink, I’ll wait) which had the tagline “No one can tell you what the Matrix is, you have to see it for yourself”?

Well, that rings true for this years The Cabin in the Woods, from Cloverfield director Drew Goddard and upcoming Avengers director Joss Whedon. And the tagline isn’t the only thing Woods has in common with the Matrix…

As nearly every decent reviewer has pointed out, it is nearly impossible to explain why the movie is as good as it is, without spoiling the surprises that lie in wait for audiences. But take this into account. The movie is nearly two hours long, and just about everything you have seen in the trailer takes place within the first hour and a bit.

Those that have seen the film call it a deconstruction of the horror genre. While this is true, it is never done with the same cynicism which the postmodern Scream had. It doesn’t laugh at genre conventions but rather embraces them, while at the same time subverting them. The script, written by Goddard and Whedon, pays its respects to the horror genre, while at the same time giving audiences a fine mix of comedy and frights. There are some genuinely laugh out loud classic scenes in there.

The young cast of victims are fun and charming. You warm to them quickly. But the movie is stolen by a certain older cast member who may or may not, have been a main character in an American political drama.

When Scream came out, people asked whether it was the end for horror, or more to the point, the type of horror movies which were made in 1980s/early 90s.

But as it turned out, it made barely a dent. Why? Because like a fairground ride, audiences want to be scared, but be scared within the context of a familiar setting. When your film is set in a remote cabin in the middle of nowhere, you have a fair idea what is going to happen.

The Cabin in the Woods feels like a line has been drawn on what has come before, and is almost throwing down a gauntlet and challenging filmmakers to come up with new ideas. While I suspect the film won’t be a huge hit in cinemas (it was sitting unreleased for an age while MGM was in trouble) it will slowly but surely become a cult classic.

If you have any interest in horror, you need to see this. If you have any interest in films which are funny, scary and downright odd at times, you need to see this. Don’t wait till the DVD to become part of the conversation.

So far this year has been a mixed bag. If the rest of the year produces films half as good as The Cabin in the Woods, we will be in luck.

But is it as good as Evil Dead 2, Girv?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 50
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 13/4/2012 6:13:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

Not going to make crazy comments here...but it is at the same level of sheer fun.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 51
great film, terrible review - 13/4/2012 7:47:04 PM   
spacedbeetle

gives too much of the film away, dan jolie is a terrible writer, should have left him in total film.

Post #: 52
RE: great film, terrible review - 13/4/2012 8:32:38 PM   
Shifty Bench

I saw this in the cinema today and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was amazing. Just because something is a bit different doesn't make it anything special. And I was spoiled on a major death as it was actually shown in a trailer I saw, so I knew it was coming.

EDIT: And it was pretty awesome seeing Amy Acker on the big screen (I'm glad Joss loves her too )

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 14/4/2012 5:26:51 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to spacedbeetle)
Post #: 53
RE: great film, terrible review - 13/4/2012 11:38:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

The more I think about this film, the more I like it........

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 54
RE: great film, terrible review - 13/4/2012 11:48:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

Bradley Whitford is amazing in the film.

Post #: 55
RE: great film, terrible review - 14/4/2012 12:21:33 AM   
Shifty Bench

Well, duh! He is Bradley Whitford

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 56
RE: great film, terrible review - 14/4/2012 11:01:32 AM   
Rgirvan44

SPOLIERS...

Have been thinking about the film non-stop since I saw it two weeks ago. I think one of the interesting themes that have come out for me, is the Operators themselves. If you look at them, they are middle aged, barely caring about what they are making on screen, and have a sense of going through the motions. They are jealous of upstart horrors but lack the creative drive to mix things up. For them it is just churning out
year on, year in, product.

Is it just me or is this a comment on the 1970s/80s horror directors? Your Carpenter’s, Romero’s, Hooper’s and so on and so forth. These guys were creative once, but a combination of getting old, not being allowed to do different things, has resulted in them putting out substandard stuff. They coast on their names, and in the past hoped no one noticed.

But we did finally notice. And when that happened, they didn’t even have the critical praise from their younger days to sustain them. These guys now hang around, shooting cheap movies which feel unimaginative, picking up a pay check and knowing that horror fans (who are a most dedicated group of people) will go and see it, knowing deep down it is likely to be rubbish, but hoping that it isn’t.

In the end these guys have been consumed by the horror genre, and when they die, the obituaries will barely separate them from their creations.

So while The Fool is not supposed to be the hero, I do think he also represents a rallying cry to cast off the old generation, under whose shadow we have been for too long, and rebuild the genre anew. It is horror ascreation myth.

Post #: 57
Best horror in years! - 14/4/2012 11:14:10 AM   
lilzz

It was absolutely amazing! It had everything a horror should have and then some. Bradley Whitford was awesome (so was the rest of the cast) but it was just such a good film I was left wanting more!!

Definately gonna buy this when it comes out!

Post #: 58
The Comparisons - 14/4/2012 11:31:53 AM   
sirvolkar

This film is no three starrer. I get the feeling that it might be placed here to take the middle-ground. When I went to see a packed screening of this film the responses coming out of the cinema were of two extremes. My friend and I, as well as many others came out singing its praises, whilst others came out saying it was the worst film they'd seen (obviously they hadn't watched Battleships yet).

I loved this film - the script, the dialogue, the performances, the stop and you'll miss it gags. Unlike Tucker & Dale - a good premise, with some funny scenes, yet overall poorly executed - this film is tight, as you'd expect from Whedon. Nothing is shown, done or said without reason - he is the master of foreshadowing. Yes, the grand reveal is more of a slow-burner, hinted at as you go along, but as one of the above writers stated, this is essentially a potshot at Hollywood and societies fetish for "current" "horror" flicks.

Go see this movie, it deserves to be seen - especially when compared to the other dross floating in the cinema swim pool at the moment.

Post #: 59
Great idea,WASTED - 14/4/2012 4:13:24 PM   
Snake 4Skin

Itz staggering how it seems the movie goerz have embraced this excuse for a "horror film".The makers of Buffy have just BUFFIED all over the horror film genre.This movie sucked.I adore horror and sci-fi,so I think that qualifies me as a "fan" who,2 quote a critic,wud "GET IT".There's nothing to get.Therez meta and therz STUPID,this falls into the latter category.Sum1 shud tell ole Josh to stop writing.The whole thing came across as cheap,tacky and meaningless,and the attempt @ Lovecraft was the ONLY laugh I got out of it. There goez Avengers A-wotever

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Cabin In The Woods Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI