Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Cabin In The Woods

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Cabin In The Woods Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Cabin In The Woods - 2/4/2012 11:23:29 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Three Stars??!!! Shocking.... - 2/4/2012 11:23:29 PM   
skyblueal

Saw this film tonight at a preview screener - what an excellent film!! I can't wait to see it again... Don't let anyone tell you about it, and don't watch the trailer - its worth it, i promise. There are as many classic lines in here as in Shaun of the dead, as you'd expect from Wheedon / Goddard, and its certainly the best film this year so far in my opinion, by far. I don't usually disagree with Empire (hardly ever in fact), but this time i do - very strongly..

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Three Stars??!!! Shocking.... - 2/4/2012 11:26:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

This is a great, great film. A full five stars from me.

Won't say anymore than that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to skyblueal)
Post #: 3
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 3/4/2012 8:06:32 AM   
Sledge Hammer

I saw it last night as well and would agree with the above comments. Better than a 3 star movie (but maybe not quite a 5!).

And having seen the trailer, it really doesnt do the film justice. The trailer makes it look like a horror film when in my mind it was more of a comedy with horror elements. Very good stuff and very, very enjoyable.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

Post #: 4
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 3/4/2012 8:13:27 AM   
Dr Lenera

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Five friends; Holden McCrea, Kurt Vaughn, Marty Mikalski, Dana Polk and Jules Louden decide to spend a weekend away at a cabin in the woods. Dana is trying to get over an affair she had with a teacher, Jules and Kurt are a couple and trying to set Dana up with Holden, and Marty is just permenantly stoned. Unknown to them, the five are being watched on screens by some people who seem to be preparing them for something, but the group arrive safely at the cabin. The cabin has some strange features, like a nirror which is actually a window which can be used to see things from one side, and a cellar containing evidence of a murderous past of a family which once lived in the cabin. And then zombies start to attack……

Doing a relatively lengthy review of a film like The Cabin In The Woods is not going to be the easiest thing, because I don’t want to give away too much of the story. Therefore, if I sound rather vague in places, than I hope you will forgive me and understand why! The film is a kind of critique of the horror genre from Drew Goddard and Josh Whedon, especially the horror genre today, a critique that clearly loves the genre but thinks it has its problems, though of course it’s possible to just enjoy as an initially fairly conventional, cliché-filled chiller that gets more and more wierd as it goes along. I had a feeling that I would love The Cabin in The Woods, but to be honest I was a little disappointed. It certainly has its heart in the right place, and is loads of fun, but it doesn’t entirely work. It has ideas to spare, but not everything is thought through, and there’s far too much of, frankly, Goddard and Wheddon having their cake and eating it. As I said though, it is loads of fun, and in a period when many horror films seem to be leaving out the fun factor, that has got to be applauded.

The film starts bizarrely, with lots of talking, some of it humorous, some of it vague, in some kind of building full of screens and buttons, then rather randomly cuts to the title and our teenagers. Except for Dana, we aren’t given much time to get to know these deliberately stereotypical teens, but it soon appears that we are in a typical ‘teenagers go into the countryside where they shouldn’t’ movie; there’s even a dodgy garage attendant. That is, of course, except for the man watching them wearing an earpiece and a really surprising bit where we see the group’s car go into a tunnel, and the camera instead follows a bird flying around the mountain…..which crashes into some partially-invisible barrier comprised of hexagons. Curiouser and curiouser, but we soon arrive at the cabin, which is like The Evil Dead’s cabin plonked next to Camp Crystal Lake, and a feeling of fear is partially built up. There is one of the most suspenseful ‘ going down to explore a darkened cellar’ scenes I’ve ever seen, and the reveal of the cellar’s contents including lots old pictures, dolls and a diary creates an effectively morbid ambience. Unfortunately we keep cutting to these other people watching them on the screens, in the process learning more and more about who they are, which may build up better to the revelation of What Exactly Is Going On, but diminishes the tension. The impression is of being shown two films, tenuously connected, at the same time, and it’s all a little forced and awkward.

Once the Big Twist is revealed and The Cabin in The Woods becomes less of a typical horror film, Goddard’s and Whedon’s true concerns come to the fore. There is much mocking of horror conventions, and the two have said that the film comments on many things they don’t like about modern horror cinema, but this aspect sometimes gets rather muddled, because some of what they are criticising have been staples of the horror movie since the genre began. I certainly raised a chuckle at things like one person saying to the others; “let’s split up – we can cover more ground that way”, and there are nice twist on things like The Evil Dead’s mist that comes out of the ground, but I got increasingly irritated that the whole plot gave the impression of being thrown up just to serve this critique. It certainly means many aspects of the story are almost thrown away and the whole main crazy science fiction concept is not explained enough.

Of course in no way am I saying everything should be explained in movies, especialy in science fiction, but with a concept like that in The Cabin In The Woods, a bit of explanation of how it all came to be may have really helped. Think of what The Matrix would have been like if we had been told what the Matrix was but not anything about how it was created. As it stands, you’ll probably admire the gall of the writers but not get out of your head the sheer absurdity of it all. I’m fine with audacious concepts as long as, for the duration of the movie, I ‘buy’ them. It doesn’t matter if I think how ridiculous it all may be afterwards, because the experience of watching the movie is the important thing. Throughout this movie, though, I was constantly saying to myself; “um….yeah” and “huh” and even “what the ****”, and that not always in a good way!

Still, The Cabin In The Woods is hard to dislike with it’s almost-freewheeling manner, the way it brings in a distinct H.P.Lovecraft element and even seems to become influenced by that hugely enjoyable piece of nonsense Waxwork. Though a group of zombies are the chief menace, the movie winds up using a variety of monsters, most of which will be recognised by most horror fans, though some are admittedly more like variants. Sadly the CGI gets quite bad; there’s one brief attack scene featuring a group of monsters which has some of the worst CGI I’ve seen in a while. Honestly, it was embarrassing. In terms of actual terror, the film does do rather well in the first half, with the zombie scenes having a real nasty edge to them , even if we aren’t shown the actual kills much, but the horror lessens as the movie goes on and things seem to be played more and more for laughs, yet, bizarrely, gets gorier. Some early scenes seem to toy with us, wanting us to wish to see the actual deaths and cheekily not following through, but later on the blood and guts, including some zombie gut-chomping, is piled on, yet in a more tongue-in-cheek way. Are Goddard and Whedon saying that humorous violence is better than ‘serious’ violence? It seems that way, but then again it’s hard to tell what they are trying to say throughout. It’s also a shame that Goddard feels the need to shoot many scenes with a ridiculous number of fast cuts and close ups; he may say he dislikes much about the current state of the genre, but time and time again employs one of its worst features [though of course this is not just in horror].

Some of the laughs are certainly funny. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford bicker amusingly as the two main people watching the screens, there’s a great gag involving a microphone, and a wonderful spoof of J-Horror which will have anyone who has seen too many ghostly girls with long black hair splitting their sides. The dialogue as a whole has a smart, snappy edge to it and it is great to hear instead of the rubbish verbiage you often hear at the moment. There’s the odd arresting image too, such as a pull back to reveal hundreds of little cells, each one containing a different monster. As well as commenting on horror, the script nicely works in some barbed commentary about reality shows and audiences, and there is certainly no lack of enthusiasm. The cast all fare well; I especially liked Fran Krans as the perpetually stoned Marty; he actually looks, sounds and acts properly stoned for a change, while having some of the funniest lines in a film full of them. I wanted so much to love The Cabin In The Woods; it has been made with enthusiasm and it simply tries to give you a really good time while making you think a little. There were parts which I liked very much. It also might be the only film where you get to see a woman snog a stuffed wolf’s head. Sadly, though, the movie just doesn’t fully work and, paradoxically, seems careless and rushed, even though I doubt it actually was.

Rating: 6.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 4/4/2012 11:27:05 AM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 5
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 3/4/2012 12:05:25 PM   
Sutty

I'm guessing, without reading your review, that you forgot to put up a big ass spoiler warning? It's only polite after all...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 6
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 3/4/2012 12:05:26 PM   
Sutty

I'm guessing, without reading your review, that you forgot to put up a big ass spoiler warning? It's only polite after all...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 7
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 4/4/2012 11:25:28 AM   
Dr Lenera

I didn't think I revealed much at all, but wil do so

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 8
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 4/4/2012 12:02:27 PM   
jcthefirst

Is Film Reviews not fair game in relation to spoilers though?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 9
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 4/4/2012 3:31:15 PM   
S. C. Lee

Only three stars

I still wanna see it...

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 10
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 4/4/2012 4:12:34 PM   
adambatman82

I really enjoyed it, so much so that I've been lauding it as the best mainstream flick of 2012 thus far. I can't bear the work of Joss Whedon usually either, but this is fantastic.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 11
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 4/4/2012 4:28:30 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I can't bear the work of Joss Whedon usually either, but this is fantastic.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 12
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 12:41:42 AM   
film man aidy

I can't see why everyone is getting so carried away with such high ratings for this. Whilst it's everything a Friday night at the cinema should be(and it IS great fun), people are likely to drop their ratings on a repeat viewing. Lower your expectations a bit, and you'll enjoy the hell out it. ***1/2

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 13
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 1:05:29 PM   
UTB

Any see Danny Baker's comments on this last night on Twitter?

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 14
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 1:57:27 PM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Danny Baker ‏ @prodnose Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
To the dirty bastards who sent me an invite for Cabin In The Woods - don't ever fucking do that to me again.

14h Danny Baker ‏ @prodnose Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@NivenJ1 When it comes out on DVD John have a black tie evening indoors coupled with Eddie Murphy's Adventures Of Pluto Nash.
In reply to John Niven

Last point. On the way into shitty Cabin In The Woods PR company said "Hope you'll be tweeting about it!". I consider that duty discharged.

To reiterate. Cabin In The Woods is not ironic, clever, witty, post modern or a comment on horror films. It is an awful noisy boring mess.

15h Danny Baker ‏ @prodnose Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Me after seeing Cabin In The Woods. This time last year I had head and neck cancer. It was better than this. http://i.imgur.com/CtZHo.jpg

Cabin In The Woods. A "deconstruction" so clumsy it may as well have Krusty on screen going "Eh?? Eh?? See what we're doing here?????"

Cabin In The Woods. Poster says "Its Not What You Think." Too right. I thought it'd be a good film.

Like films where obvious CGI snakes and fanged things come up to the screen and go "Waaaah!"? Then you'll love fucking Cabin In The Woods.

People who make crass silly films like fucking Cabin In The Woods have no idea you PLAY video games. You do NOT watch them.

Seriously. Cabin In The Woods. Insulting idiotic rubbish of the first water. Audience full of reality stars and minor rappers. And me.

Hey kids. Just been to advance show of Cabin In The Woods. The noisiest, dullest, shallowest piece of shit you could wish to waste money on.

< Message edited by Sledge Hammer -- 6/4/2012 1:59:24 PM >

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 2:29:52 PM   
S. C. Lee

Hmm, why does he care so much? I have no idea who he is but he seems to have something against Whedon or the film company.

Make your point - once, and then move on.

Post #: 16
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 2:38:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

quote:

To the dirty bastards who sent me an invite for Cabin In The Woods - don't ever fucking do that to me again.

@NivenJ1 When it comes out on DVD John have a black tie evening indoors coupled with Eddie Murphy's Adventures Of Pluto Nash.
In reply to John Niven

Last point. On the way into shitty Cabin In The Woods PR company said "Hope you'll be tweeting about it!". I consider that duty discharged.

To reiterate. Cabin In The Woods is not ironic, clever, witty, post modern or a comment on horror films. It is an awful noisy boring mess.

Me after seeing Cabin In The Woods. This time last year I had head and neck cancer. It was better than this. http://i.imgur.com/CtZHo.jpg

Cabin In The Woods. A "deconstruction" so clumsy it may as well have Krusty on screen going "Eh?? Eh?? See what we're doing here?????"

Cabin In The Woods. Poster says "Its Not What You Think." Too right. I thought it'd be a good film.

Like films where obvious CGI snakes and fanged things come up to the screen and go "Waaaah!"? Then you'll love fucking Cabin In The Woods.

People who make crass silly films like fucking Cabin In The Woods have no idea you PLAY video games. You do NOT watch them.

Seriously. Cabin In The Woods. Insulting idiotic rubbish of the first water. Audience full of reality stars and minor rappers. And me.

Hey kids. Just been to advance show of Cabin In The Woods. The noisiest, dullest, shallowest piece of shit you could wish to waste money on.

This isnt the same Danny Baker as the one on 5Live/Radio?
If so lol.

Post #: 17
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 3:44:57 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

quote:

In reply to John Niven

This isnt the same Danny Baker as the one on 5Live/Radio?
If so lol.

It is.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 18
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 7:32:26 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee
Hmm, why does he care so much? I have no idea who he is but he seems to have something against Whedon or the film company.

Don't know where you got that from, he doesn't mention Whedon or Lionsgate once.

quote:

I don't know, there's nothing quite as cathartic as a good twitter rant. The above 11 tweets aren't particularly excessive in my book, and I know that I've done the same after films I weren't particularly keen on (The Pirates! and The Hunger Games have both come in for similar treatment from myself recently).

Plus, it made me laugh. He's completely wrong of course, but it made me laugh.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 19
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 7:38:50 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: film man aidy
I can't see why everyone is getting so carried away with such high ratings for this. Whilst it's everything a Friday night at the cinema should be(and it IS great fun), people are likely to drop their ratings on a repeat viewing.

Most people *are* reviewing their first experiences of seeing the film here tho, and not repeated viewings so I fail to understand your issue. I'm completely with you btw, I don't think it will have the same effect upon second viewing, and I'm not even sure it will get one from me. Alas, the first viewing, the one that I referred to up there was incredibly enjoyable, and the best mainstream film I've seen all year (but nowhere near the best in general, it can't hold a candle to the likes of This Is Not A Film, The Kid With A Bike or Once Upon A Time In Anatolia).

PS - if I was going to stick a number on this I too would go for 3.5 or 4 stars.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 20
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 8:02:03 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

Don't know where you got that from, he doesn't mention Whedon or Lionsgate once.

quote:

I don't know, there's nothing quite as cathartic as a good twitter rant. The above 11 tweets aren't particularly excessive in my book, and I know that I've done the same after films I weren't particularly keen on (The Pirates! and The Hunger Games have both come in for similar treatment from myself recently).

Plus, it made me laugh. He's completely wrong of course, but it made me laugh.

Eleven times! You can't make the same point in one tweet?

Seriously, you hated the Hunger Games that much, that you tweeted over and over again about how awful it was. Which (as you said yourself about Cabin) is obviously wrong

It's one of the best films of the year (so far.)

I edited this at the same time as Adam posted (below.) I'm used to re-writing everything about a gazillion times.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 6/4/2012 9:10:07 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 8:49:59 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Eleven times! You can't make the same point in one tweet?

How many empire online comments have you made about a particular film? Commenting on the same subject more than once doesn't strike me as particularly odd, I mean, you've made several comments in this thread already about a film you haven't seen.

quote:

Let's be honest, anyone who uses twitter should automatically be thrown to the dogs anyway

It surprises me to hear you say this (as a writer). It's a fantastic way to communicate with your readers and fans, and a fantastic way to find work.

quote:

Seriously, you hated the Hunger Games that much, that you tweeted over and over again about how awful it was!

I didn't hate it as such, I just didn't like it very much. As a frequent tweeter it's normal for me to come out of a screening and tweet ab out the film for a couple of hours after, usually in discussion with other folk who've seen the film. HG came to mind initially because my tweets about that we're picked up by a couple of other people who disagreed with my criticisms and we went on to have a bit of a debate on it, that, due to the nature of twitter extended over a number of hours. This happens several times a week about various subjects, it's not really any different to how these forums work albeit with a larger and more varied userbase.

quote:

The Hunger Games is one of the best movies of the year.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 22
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 9:01:51 PM   
S. C. Lee

I did think better of the twitter comment. I decided to remove it but you had / have obviously quoted it before I could (which is fine.)

My problem with twitter is the 140 character limit. To be fair Danny's comments were 140 character rants, making the same point again (and again.) I'm having a discussion with you, so it's inevitable that I will post in this thread more than once.

Post #: 23
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 9:10:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

My problem with twitter is the 140 character limit. To be fair Danny's comments were 140 character rants, making the same point again (and again.) I'm having a discussion with you, so it's inevitable that I will post in this thread more than once.

To be fair, several of those tweets, especially the later ones, were his reaction to the general deluge of support for CABIN sent at him in reaction to his earlier tweets. Plus, like you say, the 140 word limit dictates that lengthier rants have to be split in to more than one tweet.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 24
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 9:17:48 PM   
S. C. Lee

To address your other point, I didn't make any comments about the film (as you rightly pointed out, I haven't seen it.) My comments were about Danny's tweets. I will add my review when the movie is released. Personally I prefer Facebook. Many celebrities - which I am not one of use FB instead of twitter. Each to their own.

As for 140 character rants being split, that's all well and good if you have something different to say...

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 6/4/2012 9:24:52 PM >

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 25
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 6/4/2012 9:19:03 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

To be fair, several of those tweets, especially the later ones, were his reaction to the general deluge of support for CABIN sent at him in reaction to his earlier tweets.

Fair enough.

Post #: 26
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 7/4/2012 2:26:43 AM   
Rgirvan44

Totally disagree about second viewings - saw the trailer tonight and there are so many moments I want to revisit. I am itching to see it again.

It clearly didn't work for Danny Baker. Oh well.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 27
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 7/4/2012 2:38:53 AM   
Spaldron

I saw the trailer for this and it looked awful. So its either the marketing department are useless and everyone on here is right or its genuinely a crap film and everyone here is taking the piss.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 28
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 7/4/2012 2:44:29 AM   
Rgirvan44

The trailer can't tell you what makes this movie awesome, because it would ruin the surprise of what makes this movie awesome. Making a trailer for this is next to impossible.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 29
RE: The Cabin In The Woods - 7/4/2012 2:52:40 AM   
Spaldron

I have to say I was intrigued by the 'Grid' force field thingy.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Cabin In The Woods Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI