Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Third Human Centipede Tripped Up

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Third Human Centipede Tripped Up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third Human Centipede Tripped Up - 30/3/2012 8:58:17 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Question... - 30/3/2012 8:58:17 AM   
waltham1979

Empire; why do you insist on giving stuff like this the time of day? You don't give other straight to DVD films the time of day...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Question... - 30/3/2012 9:14:00 AM   
Osric

yeah empire, please only write about the avengers.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 3
Agreed - 30/3/2012 9:22:41 AM   
blue_lion

Each to their own, but I agree with the previous comments as to why this story was published about a (no doubt )1 Star movie ?

Post #: 4
RE: Agreed - 30/3/2012 9:37:48 AM   
Osric

full sequence got 3 stars from kim newman

(in reply to blue_lion)
Post #: 5
Part of the Story - 30/3/2012 10:16:47 AM   
Silvertouch

They all play version of themselves in a 'reality', found footage docudrama, including Tom Six, and this 'suing Dieter Laser' thing is one of the plot threads. This is meta-marketing. Clever.

Post #: 6
- 30/3/2012 11:28:33 AM   
Whistler

"Not to worry, principle photography starts this year" - does he really think anyone is worrying that this inevitably disgusting, vile, cynical, stupidly violent mess of a movie won't be made? Does he really think anyone is waiting in anticipation for it? He's got severe delusions if he does. I just hate him, he shouldn't be allowed to make films.

As for why Empire are reporting this story, well, it's because they're a movie magazine and this is a movie.

Post #: 7
RE: - 30/3/2012 12:40:40 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

"Not to worry, principle photography starts this year" - does he really think anyone is worrying that this inevitably disgusting, vile, cynical, stupidly violent mess of a movie won't be made? Does he really think anyone is waiting in anticipation for it? He's got severe delusions if he does. I just hate him, he shouldn't be allowed to make films.

As for why Empire are reporting this story, well, it's because they're a movie magazine and this is a movie.

I know this is a movie but it is, at best, a straight to dvd movie – christ the first one was on TV (on one of the rare channels that would show it) before it turned up on dvd. So I ask again, why is Empire talking about it? Maybe I am looking at this from personal perspective as I think the first two films are a, to quote your post, “disgusting, vile, cynical, stupidly violent mess of a movie”. So don’t get it. The director himself has openly said he is making these movies just to shock and repulse the audience and the three star review of the second film, I’m sorry again, was bizarre.

I don’t take to critiquing Empire at all; but they constantly destroy directors like Uwe Boll at every opportunity (and rightly so as he is shit), but continue to give this piss pot of an excuse for a director space? Think Empire are a little better than that!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 12:57:15 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

I know this is a movie but it is, at best, a straight to dvd movie – christ the first one was on TV (on one of the rare channels that would show it) before it turned up on dvd. So I ask again, why is Empire talking about it? Maybe I am looking at this from personal perspective as I think the first two films are a, to quote your post, “disgusting, vile, cynical, stupidly violent mess of a movie”. So don’t get it. The director himself has openly said he is making these movies just to shock and repulse the audience and the three star review of the second film, I’m sorry again, was bizarre.

I don’t take to critiquing Empire at all; but they constantly destroy directors like Uwe Boll at every opportunity (and rightly so as he is shit), but continue to give this piss pot of an excuse for a director space? Think Empire are a little better than that!

You have a point, and I do agree with you that this is an overly-long article for this film, but I think part of the reason they report it like this is because we all actually want to hear what he's saying. I will never watch any of the "THC" films (being a huge horror fan, that says a lot about them) but I'm always intrigued to read these articles just to see what Tom "Douchebag" Six is saying. It's usually something ridiculous, which gives me an excuse to rant

Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 1:30:48 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: You have a point, and I do agree with you that this is an overly-long article for this film, but I think part of the reason they report it like this is because we all actually want to hear what he's saying. I will never watch any of the "THC" films (being a huge horror fan, that says a lot about them) but I'm always intrigued to read these articles just to see what Tom "Douchebag" Six is saying. It's usually something ridiculous, which gives me an excuse to rant

I don't understand this. How can you pass judgement on the Human Centipede films if you haven't seen them? The fact that you refuse to watch them doesn't say anything about them as films at all.

I quite enjoyed the first two, to be honest, and found them flawed but interesting, so I'm curious to see where a third one would go.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 1:47:34 PM   
Whistler

quote:

You have a point, and I do agree with you that this is an overly-long article for this film, but I think part of the reason they report it like this is because we all actually want to hear what he's saying. I will never watch any of the "THC" films (being a huge horror fan, that says a lot about them) but I'm always intrigued to read these articles just to see what Tom "Douchebag" Six is saying. It's usually something ridiculous, which gives me an excuse to rant

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

I don't understand this. How can you pass judgement on the Human Centipede films if you haven't seen them? The fact that you refuse to watch them doesn't say anything about them as films at all.

I quite enjoyed the first two, to be honest, and found them flawed but interesting, so I'm curious to see where a third one would go.

Because I've read about them and listened to what friends have said. It's rare that I simply won't watch a film based on what people have said, but these just sound horrible and as sickeningly violent as possible just for the sake of it. Am I right in thinking the second is about a guy who jacks off to the first movie with sandpaper around his dingdong? If that's the case, then I have every right not to watch it, and have every right to say it's sick and disgusting. I don't judge you for liking them at all, I'm simply saying I don't want to go near them. To hear Six say the third one will make the second "look like a Disney movie" just proves that he's doing it to spite the BBFC for forcing him to cut the second one, which in turn proves him to be not a filmmaker but a petty wannabe.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 4:31:16 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Because I've read about them and listened to what friends have said. It's rare that I simply won't watch a film based on what people have said, but these just sound horrible and as sickeningly violent as possible just for the sake of it. Am I right in thinking the second is about a guy who jacks off to the first movie with sandpaper around his dingdong? If that's the case, then I have every right not to watch it, and have every right to say it's sick and disgusting. I don't judge you for liking them at all, I'm simply saying I don't want to go near them. To hear Six say the third one will make the second "look like a Disney movie" just proves that he's doing it to spite the BBFC for forcing him to cut the second one, which in turn proves him to be not a filmmaker but a petty wannabe.

Right so you've never seen the films but you've been told by other people that they're terrible so basically that's formed the basis of your opinion?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 4:50:47 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Right so you've never seen the films but you've been told by other people that they're terrible so basically that's formed the basis of your opinion?

It's formed the basis of my decision: a decision not to watch them because of what I've read and heard about them. They sound grotesque, and I'm almost certain that I won't like them if I do watch them.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 5:20:21 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Well both Tom Six and Mr Laser seem to have different takes on the specific nature of the disagreement. If things happened as Mr Laser says, then I'd side with him. Same goes for Six and his story. With that said, while the first one was fairly effective, I had no interest in the sequel, and this second sequel doesn't sound any more promising.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
For all you who wusses who r disgusted, The Daily Mail ... - 30/3/2012 5:30:14 PM   
U Boll

Its great for a film to have nerve to push the boundaries of taste.For all you who wusses who r disgusted, The Daily Mail wants to hear from you.

Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 5:50:49 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's formed the basis of my decision: a decision not to watch them because of what I've read and heard about them. They sound grotesque, and I'm almost certain that I won't like them if I do watch them.

The first one was a minor cult classic, the second one went all out mental (in a good way) but it doesn't surprise me most people didn't get the humour and the satire of the sequel and instead overreacted to the gross elements. I hope the third one gets made as I'm sure these films will be more appreciated in time once all the Daily Mail fuss dies down.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 7:06:35 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

The first two films got theatrical releases, lots of publicity, and decent-ish reviews in Empire and elsewhere. You can say all that about very few (if any?) Uwe Boll films so it stands to reason that because of the above factors this story is going to be more newsworthy. I can never understand why people on the internet find it so hard to grasp the simple fact that some people like stuff they don't. Though I understand Whistler's comments even less - saying a director whose work you've actually seen shouldn't be allowed to make films would be bad enough, but to have such a vociferous opinion ('hate'? Really?) about a couple of movies you haven't seen but simply don't like the look of is frankly bizarre.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 30/3/2012 7:08:30 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 30/3/2012 8:22:49 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

The first two films got theatrical releases, lots of publicity, and decent-ish reviews in Empire and elsewhere. You can say all that about very few (if any?) Uwe Boll films so it stands to reason that because of the above factors this story is going to be more newsworthy. I can never understand why people on the internet find it so hard to grasp the simple fact that some people like stuff they don't. Though I understand Whistler's comments even less - saying a director whose work you've actually seen shouldn't be allowed to make films would be bad enough, but to have such a vociferous opinion ('hate'? Really?) about a couple of movies you haven't seen but simply don't like the look of is frankly bizarre.

Apparently people aren't as repulsed by what's involved in these films as I am. I'll take my "he shouldn't be allowed to make films" comment back, because you're right, I have no right to say that without having seen them. But it just seems to me that he's not making these films because he cares about the art of film, but because he wants to spite the BBFC for cutting the second one so severely and generally just disgust the rest of us as much as possible just for the hell of it.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18
RE: Third Human Centipede Tripped Up - 30/3/2012 8:57:42 PM   
makins

To be fair it must be of paramount importance to get the subtle nuances of character, motivation, and the intricacies of dramatic structure absolutely right when making a film about sewing peoples arseholes to other peoples mouths in a big long chain then having them shit into each others mouths, I mean you wouldn't want that to end up looking silly and ridiculous would you.

Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 1/4/2012 1:29:40 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually I would point out that the first film was straight to TV and DVD and never made it to the cinema; the second was banned (although was later released with cuts) and cinema's refused to show it. At no point have I said that other people cannot like stuff I don't; I just struggle to understand why Empire would give any credence to a film that has a scene in it where a man wraps his penis in barbed wire and rapes someone. Am I the only one that finds that disgusting and in bad taste?! Additionally finds it appalling that the guy who wrote and directed it openly says he did it to 'see if it would get banned' and, in one interview I read, thought that it was 'funny'.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries of cinema and I'm no Daily Mail reader but when the fuck did that become entertainment?? As for the above post it also "doesn't surprise me most people didn't get the humor and the satire of the sequel" because I am a father and I don't want to raise my two children in a world where rape is amusing. This is not art, the director openly says he is just trying to disgust people; what worries me most is that people seem to actually defend this stuff like he is making some sort of statement?! Think if anything it makes a statement about our current society where shit like this is actually given the time of day.

AND before anyone asks I have seen both films - including the un-cut second film so I can actually comment on these from a personal point of view.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 1/4/2012 8:11:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually I would point out that the first film was straight to TV and DVD and never made it to the cinema; the second was banned (although was later released with cuts) and cinema's refused to show it. At no point have I said that other people cannot like stuff I don't; I just struggle to understand why Empire would give any credence to a film that has a scene in it where a man wraps his penis in barbed wire and rapes someone. Am I the only one that finds that disgusting and in bad taste?! Additionally finds it appalling that the guy who wrote and directed it openly says he did it to 'see if it would get banned' and, in one interview I read, thought that it was 'funny'.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries of cinema and I'm no Daily Mail reader but when the fuck did that become entertainment?? As for the above post it also "doesn't surprise me most people didn't get the humor and the satire of the sequel" because I am a father and I don't want to raise my two children in a world where rape is amusing. This is not art, the director openly says he is just trying to disgust people; what worries me most is that people seem to actually defend this stuff like he is making some sort of statement?! Think if anything it makes a statement about our current society where shit like this is actually given the time of day.

AND before anyone asks I have seen both films - including the un-cut second film so I can actually comment on these from a personal point of view.

Because several writers at Empire liked both films and didn't have a problem with a movie featuring such a scene. And even if they did, it's a news story about a controversial film that most movie fans have heard of - of course they're gonna report it.
Oh and it's not really relevent (my point was that in comparison to Uwe Boll's films, The Human Centipede had a much higher profile) but the first one did get a theatrical release.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 2/4/2012 8:53:50 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because several writers at Empire liked both films and didn't have a problem with a movie featuring such a scene. And even if they did, it's a news story about a controversial film that most movie fans have heard of - of course they're gonna report it.
Oh and it's not really relevent (my point was that in comparison to Uwe Boll's films, The Human Centipede had a much higher profile) but the first one did get a theatrical release.

How can anyone 'like' a film like this? Let alone find it ammusing or humerous is kind of the point I'm trying to make. You are missing my point...the only reason Uwe Boll films have a lower profile is that Empire don't give them the time of day; yet give The Human Centipede. Having looked into this you are correct though, The Human Centipede was given a UK cinema release on the 20th August but most cinema's refused to show it and subsequently was released on DVD less than two months later.

Interestingly Empire described the first film as "an extremely repulsive concept". Well quite. Personally I prefer the view of Robert Edbert's review of the first film:

"I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars don't shine."

I would never tell someone what they can and cannot like; but as I said in my previous posts I do not understand why Empire would lower and debase themselves by putting information about these films as 'news'. With any luck, sooner or later Tom Six will disappear into obscurity. Every comment he makes seems to be lapped up by people and for some reason, god knows why (and what a shocking indictment of the level of people's tastes these days) people seem to be hailing him as some sort of cult visionary when, by even his admission, he finds his films funny and is openly just trying to shock and disgust people?!

Post #: 22
RE: RE: - 2/4/2012 12:42:49 PM   
pauljthomas

More boundary pushing from Mr Six.

Having seen the first movie out of curiosity, whilst it was crap, it was also tame in terms of what you see. Now I haven't seen the 2nd one yet, but I can imagine that what makes the film in bad taste is what is insinuated & not what you actually see? Based on my theory of Full Sequence, I can't see it being worse to watch than any other standard horror flicks?

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 2/4/2012 4:39:23 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

How can anyone 'like' a film like this?

Quite easily in fact.

quote:

Let alone find it ammusing or humerous

I find both films amusing and humorous, especially the sequel, its mental.

quote:

is kind of the point I'm trying to make. You are missing my point...the only reason Uwe Boll films have a lower profile is that Empire don't give them the time of day;

No its because Uwe Boll films are beyond dreadful, and as an Empire reader for nearly 10 years I can tell you that Empire have given plenty of space to him over the years, they even gave him a 4 page feature about 5 years ago.

quote:

yet give The Human Centipede. Having looked into this you are correct though, The Human Centipede was given a UK cinema release on the 20th August but most cinema's refused to show it and subsequently was released on DVD less than two months later.

It was never going to get a big release though, due to it being a small budget shocker with a limited audience (that eventually grew due to the notoriety).

quote:

Interestingly Empire described the first film as "an extremely repulsive concept". Well quite. Personally I prefer the view of Robert Edbert's review of the first film:

"I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars don't shine."

Who gives a toss what that old fart says. Ebert has slated many decent films over the years.

quote:

I would never tell someone what they can and cannot like;

You kind of are though.

quote:

but as I said in my previous posts I do not understand why Empire would lower and debase themselves by putting information about these films as 'news'.

Why don't you write an email to Empire to complain?

quote:

With any luck, sooner or later Tom Six will disappear into obscurity.

Who knows, the movie business is fickle.

quote:

Every comment he makes seems to be lapped up by people and for some reason, god knows why (and what a shocking indictment of the level of people's tastes these days)

You're right, people shouldn't pay any attention to what a director of a film has to say about his new film on a film website.

quote:

people seem to be hailing him as some sort of cult visionary

Who?

quote:

when, by even his admission, he finds his films funny and is openly just trying to shock and disgust people?!

Exactly, you've just discovered the secret to the Human Centipede films, congratulations.

Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 2/4/2012 5:34:28 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

How can anyone 'like' a film like this?

Quite easily in fact.

quote:

Let alone find it ammusing or humerous

I find both films amusing and humorous, especially the sequel, its mental.

quote:

is kind of the point I'm trying to make. You are missing my point...the only reason Uwe Boll films have a lower profile is that Empire don't give them the time of day;

No its because Uwe Boll films are beyond dreadful, and as an Empire reader for nearly 10 years I can tell you that Empire have given plenty of space to him over the years, they even gave him a 4 page feature about 5 years ago.

quote:

yet give The Human Centipede. Having looked into this you are correct though, The Human Centipede was given a UK cinema release on the 20th August but most cinema's refused to show it and subsequently was released on DVD less than two months later.

It was never going to get a big release though, due to it being a small budget shocker with a limited audience (that eventually grew due to the notoriety).

quote:

Who gives a toss what that old fart says. Ebert has slated many decent films over the years.

quote:

I would never tell someone what they can and cannot like;

You kind of are though.

quote:

but as I said in my previous posts I do not understand why Empire would lower and debase themselves by putting information about these films as 'news'.

Why don't you write an email to Empire to complain?

quote:

With any luck, sooner or later Tom Six will disappear into obscurity.

Who knows, the movie business is fickle.

quote:

Every comment he makes seems to be lapped up by people and for some reason, god knows why (and what a shocking indictment of the level of people's tastes these days)

You're right, people shouldn't pay any attention to what a director of a film has to say about his new film on a film website.

quote:

people seem to be hailing him as some sort of cult visionary

Who?

quote:

when, by even his admission, he finds his films funny and is openly just trying to shock and disgust people?!

Exactly, you've just discovered the secret to the Human Centipede films, congratulations.

Oh for fucks sake. No I am not telling you that you can and can't like what you want. I am simply asking why do you find a film that has a man wrapping barbed wire around his penis and raping someone, as you put it, amusing and humerous?! Seems pretty sick to me but its your point of view...as bizarre and as weird as that sounds to someone like me.

I am not going to apologise for finding The Human Centipede disgusting and appalling. I don't like art for the sake of art so why on Earth would I like gore for the sake of gore? I detest the Saw, Final Destination and Hostel films as well and I again ask the question - when did films like these in our society become entertaining? Where is the line? When do we stop?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Third Human Centipede Tripped Up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI