Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Charming and clever

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Charming and clever Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Charming and clever - 7/4/2012 5:43:47 PM   
musht

Loved this!! Very funny stuff!!

With regard to 2D v 3D, my local multiplex was offering more 2D viewing of this than 3D. Which I was very happy with

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 31
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 8/4/2012 6:19:14 PM   
OliviaJessica

[quote]Where OliviaJessica sees sexism in her narrow world view, others see the joke being the ineptitude of men[/quote]

Ahh of course, because 4 year old children have such a broad perspective on the world! You seem to have misunderstood the path of my anger. It is how inappropriate this type of comedy is for the age group intended. A child will only read the basic aspect of this type of joke and the vast majority of children will not be able to engage in the complex understanding of the word play and humility. So congratulations on suggesting I have a narrow world view, I would advise you take a long hard look in the mirror 'clownfoot'.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! Review - 10/4/2012 9:23:40 AM   
DaleLawson

Aardman had a lot to live up to when creating, and releasing, The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!, due to the success of their other films. I have to say it was a little disappointing as I had gone into the cinema expecting Wallace and Gromit on an epic ocean-battle scale, while keeping the quaint “Britishness” presented by both the Wallace and Gromit films and Chicken Run (Dir. Peter Lord & Nick Park, 2000). But infact I found a clay-mation of The Pirates of the Caribbean with a stronger plot and exciting characters. All I can hope is that the next film to come out of Aardman studios is another Wallace and Gromit.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 10/4/2012 10:04:14 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: OliviaJessica

[quote]Where OliviaJessica sees sexism in her narrow world view, others see the joke being the ineptitude of men

Ahh of course, because 4 year old children have such a broad perspective on the world! You seem to have misunderstood the path of my anger. It is how inappropriate this type of comedy is for the age group intended. A child will only read the basic aspect of this type of joke and the vast majority of children will not be able to engage in the complex understanding of the word play and humility. So congratulations on suggesting I have a narrow world view, I would advise you take a long hard look in the mirror 'clownfoot'.

The same would count for your objections though, especially since they're not really found within the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to OliviaJessica)
Post #: 34
RE: Sexist shambles. - 11/4/2012 11:36:53 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Oh [female]God I hope OliviaJessica didn't hear you say that. You'll get both phallically-symbolic barrels.

Unless she puts a polythene bag over his head.

quote:

ORIGINAL: OliviaJessica

[.quote]Where OliviaJessica sees sexism in her narrow world view, others see the joke being the ineptitude of men[/quote.]

One way of getting around the double quotes.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 11/4/2012 11:47:40 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 35
RE: Sexist shambles. - 12/4/2012 12:11:09 AM   
Spaldron

What the fuck happened here?!

I cant believe that ultra-feminist nutter post has been here for a week and this is the first I've heard of it, brilliant! What a load of reactionary trollish hogsquabble.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 36
RE: Sexist shambles. - 12/4/2012 2:26:38 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Da fuck?

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 37
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 2:33:04 AM   
MonsterCat

At the risk of being labelled a back-seat mod, should we really be making fun of Olivia Jessica?

I mean, just because she's seen something in the film that others haven't doesn't make her a nutter or a troll. This is still a place where one can air his or her criticisms and concerns about a film, no?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/4/2012 2:34:31 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 38
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 2:52:10 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

At the risk of being labelled a back-seat mod, should we really be making fun of Olivia Jessica?

I mean, just because she's seen something in the film that others haven't doesn't make her a nutter or a troll. This is still a place where one can air his or her criticisms and concerns about a film, no?

Trouble is, she attacks the film by claiming it has a blinkered world view, but then includes this line in her post

quote:

Certificate U endorses that this film is appropriate for anyone over the age of 4. Not only does this include highly impressionable young children, but also highly impressionable men.

It's a bit difficult to take someone's concerns about the negative portrayal of a gender seriously when they kick things off with a silly statement that's also a negative portrayal of a gender. She also gives an adult interpretation of the depictions of women in the movie, then insists she's worried about the message it gives to a four year old, while also arguing that a four year old is only able to deal with the film on a basic level. If a four year old can't understand that the joke is the ineptitude of men, they also wouldn't be able to understand the concept of a woman having to hide her gender in order to be able to fit in.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 39
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 2:53:10 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

A very valid point, even if her position is somewhat misguided.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 40
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 2:55:29 AM   
MonsterCat

Fair enough. Point well made.

I just think there's better ways of attacking her post without being all like "OMG! Trollish nutter!"

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/4/2012 3:01:09 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 41
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 2:56:10 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Trouble is, she attacks the film by claiming it has a blinkered world view, but then includes this line in her post

quote:

Certificate U endorses that this film is appropriate for anyone over the age of 4. Not only does this include highly impressionable young children, but also highly impressionable men.

It's a bit difficult to take someone's concerns about the negative portrayal of a gender seriously when they kick things off with a silly statement that's also a negative portrayal of a gender. She also gives an adult interpretation of the depictions of women in the movie, then insists she's worried about the message it gives to a four year old, while also arguing that a four year old is only able to deal with the film on a basic level. If a four year old can't understand that the joke is the ineptitude of men, they also wouldn't be able to understand the concept of a woman having to hide her gender in order to be able to fit in.

Then again, so is this...

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 4:15:37 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

I just think there's better ways of attacking her post without being all like "OMG! Trollish nutter!"

No there isn't, trollish nutter all the way!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 43
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 4:24:14 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

No there isn't, trollish nutter all the way!

Typical, rude Spaldron.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 44
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 9:22:38 AM   
sharkboy

Spaldron, I think you have a very strange idea as to what constitutes a troll.  Someone with two posts, one espousing her perspective on the movie, the other countering a point made about aforesaid opinion, is not by any definition a troll (unless she is, you know, an actual live-under-bridges, goat-eating fantasy creature!)  A troll is someone who deliberately posts antagonistic comments to get a reaction from their target; comments like, oh, lets see, "I cant believe that ultra-feminist nutter post has been here for a week and this is the first I've heard of it, brilliant! What a load of reactionary trollish hogsquabble".  Ring any bells?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 45
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 9:24:26 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

There is. See elab's and my original responses. People have a point of view that should be challenged. Even when it is contradictory and baseless, this does not mean you can pull out the troll card because you have very little else to say on the subject matter.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 46
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 12/4/2012 4:19:33 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Spaldron, I think you have a very strange idea as to what constitutes a troll.  Someone with two posts, one espousing her perspective on the movie, the other countering a point made about aforesaid opinion, is not by any definition a troll (unless she is, you know, an actual live-under-bridges, goat-eating fantasy creature!)  A troll is someone who deliberately posts antagonistic comments to get a reaction from their target; comments like, oh, lets see, "I cant believe that ultra-feminist nutter post has been here for a week and this is the first I've heard of it, brilliant! What a load of reactionary trollish hogsquabble".  Ring any bells?

Just trying to have a bit of humour here, never mind.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 47
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 15/4/2012 5:50:52 PM   
Scruffybobby

The Pirates! ... is certainly fun and the animation is of course brilliant. It's just not up there with Wallace and Gromit or Chicken Run

The voice talent all do a great job and there's plenty of laughs - both visual and verbal but there's something missing. Not sure what that something is but it isn't there whatever it is. Don't get me wrong I liked it I just didn't love it and that has to rank as a bit of a disappointment.

Still - 3 stars.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 48
RE: The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists! - 19/4/2012 11:17:08 PM   
nhassell

Had nothing to do today, so convinced one of my mates (with a Cineworld Unlimited card) to come and see it with me. Throughly enjoyed it. Much more than I did The Cabin In The Woods, anyway. Bit with the elephant man cracked me up. Would say it was as good as Tintin.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 49
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! Review - 5/5/2012 4:31:53 PM   
the film man

It may not quite scale Aardman's customary delirious heights, but The Pirates! still represents some of the smartest, most skillfully animated fare that modern cinema has to offer.

Post #: 50
A film worth waiting for! - 20/7/2012 3:28:22 PM   
SebMModerns

Aardman's previous film: Wallace And Gromit In A Matter Of Life And Death blew me away at how funny and unique is was. Pirates was a very cheesy and laughable film which had great humor for adults, just as much as for children! (South Park And Monty Python related humor and even a Kill Bill reference during one of the fighting scenes.) One of the five stars has been knocked off, because of the dark protrayals of Queen Victoria, Charles Darwin, Jane Ausden And John Merrick "The Elephant Man" (RIP). Rating: 4/5!

Post #: 51
Harilous! - 6/10/2013 11:57:52 AM   
Darren47

I simply could'nt stop laughing!!! Probably not the best, but the funniest animation of the decade. This piece of pure, smart laughter should've won over the bold yet bland Brave. Unstoppable laughs from start to finish. You'll might think that this is funnier than Shrek!

Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Charming and clever Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI