Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Comic book readers for laptops/PCs?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 24/3/2012 3:19:28 PM   
Super Hans

Possibly a daft question, but does anyone know if you can get a comic reading app for a laptop, like you can with iPhone/iPad/Android devices?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."
Post #: 1
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 24/3/2012 3:39:13 PM   
elab49

There are a few programmes but I'm not sure if the comics themselves would come in a single format? If you're buying them electronically, might the store have a recommended reader? CDisplay seems a common basic one.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 2
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 24/3/2012 4:03:20 PM   
directorscut

jomic

http://jomic.sourceforge.net/

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 3
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 24/3/2012 4:13:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Comical

Click

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 25/3/2012 9:56:14 PM   
furrybastard

I use CDisplay.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 26/3/2012 7:39:42 AM   
Chojin

I've always used CDisplay as well. It's a great program that works with multiple filetypes. Once you get the hang of the keyboard shortcuts its effortless to use

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 28/3/2012 10:18:40 PM   
indysgill

I use comicrack on my pc, they recently made a android compatible version.

Comicrack

For my ipod touch I use Comic zeal

Comic Zeal

Its a bit pricey, but works so well.

< Message edited by indysgill -- 28/3/2012 10:19:12 PM >

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 7
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 20/11/2012 2:05:39 AM   
furrybastard

Sort of related to this thread...

Does anyone read comics on a tablet? Like an iPad or Kindle? How do you find it?

I've just been reading about the new Samsung Nexus 10 that's been released this month. Found this video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVsnq2-fgoA -- where at 21.20 he takes a look at how a comic looks on it. Looks pretty impressive to me. And because it's dimensions are similar to US comic size, there's no need for zooming or reading it in that awful panel-by-panel way that some people seem to prefer.

Anyway I'm musing on whether to treat myself to one of these for an Xmas pressie. Since I'm moving around a bit now it's not really practical for me to buy too many physical comics (particularly weekly/monthly comics!) I obviously prefer reading stuff in physical volumes if I can but after almost two decades of buying comics, I'm frankly a bit caught for space This seems like a rather ideal solution!

Thoughts?

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 20/11/2012 2:06:37 AM >

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 8
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 20/11/2012 9:49:17 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Sort of related to this thread...

Does anyone read comics on a tablet? Like an iPad or Kindle? How do you find it?

I've just been reading about the new Samsung Nexus 10 that's been released this month. Found this video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVsnq2-fgoA -- where at 21.20 he takes a look at how a comic looks on it. Looks pretty impressive to me. And because it's dimensions are similar to US comic size, there's no need for zooming or reading it in that awful panel-by-panel way that some people seem to prefer.

Anyway I'm musing on whether to treat myself to one of these for an Xmas pressie. Since I'm moving around a bit now it's not really practical for me to buy too many physical comics (particularly weekly/monthly comics!) I obviously prefer reading stuff in physical volumes if I can but after almost two decades of buying comics, I'm frankly a bit caught for space This seems like a rather ideal solution!

Thoughts?

My advice would be to buy it mate. I've also been doing some research and Samsung Nexus 10 is bloody superb and definitely great for reading comics. Its also great that you can read a whole page instead of panel by panel. Like you i'm a big fan of the paper format and nothing can change that, however thanks to reading on my phone and tablet i've discovered some great comics. And like you say its easier to store! I quite enjoy reading on tablet or even phone form if you ask me, it took a while to get used to and trust me if i like something i read i still get the craving to physically hold the comic in my hand! but its quite fun.

So yeah, go for it.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/11/2012 9:55:17 AM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 9
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 20/11/2012 10:00:13 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I'd been thinking of buying a decent sized tablet myself. The majority of stuff I pick up each month is either borrowed or digital, I just don't have room to be collecting monthly titles so I buy them digitally and then if I really enjoyed them I'll buy the trade when it comes out. My monitor at home is decently sized so I can comfortably display 2 pages at a time without having to zoom in or out but I really could do with a more portable option, reading at my computer can be pretty restrictive.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 10
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 26/11/2012 6:44:46 AM   
Shifty Bench

Hopefully I am getting a tablet for Christmas because I am fed up reading comics on my laptop. I hope it'll be easier to read them on a flat handheld thingymabob.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 11
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 28/11/2012 4:10:05 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Hopefully I am getting a tablet for Christmas because I am fed up reading comics on my laptop. I hope it'll be easier to read them on a flat handheld thingymabob.

What kind of tablet are you thinking of getting, Shifty?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 12
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 28/11/2012 9:51:19 PM   
manwihtheplan

I use this one

CDisplay.

http://download.cnet.com/CDisplay-Image-Display/3000-18488_4-10162238.html

Post #: 13
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 29/11/2012 5:33:04 PM   
Dark Knight

Bought a cheapo 10" Android tablet a few months ago, mainly for the purpose of reading comics on it. Downloaded ""Perfect Viewer" and have not looked back since.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 14
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 12/12/2012 2:32:38 PM   
indysgill

Which tablet was it?

It looks like I will be getting a Nook HD for Christmas, Had a go on it in John Lewis and it brilliant, apparently no need to add any programs as it reads digital comics straight out the box.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 15
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 12/12/2012 6:04:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

So sorry I haven't replied until now, Furry, I forgot I posted here. I have asked for a tablet for my Christmas so I have to wait and see. As long as I can read comics and books on it while surfing the net, I don't mind

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 16
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 13/12/2012 2:07:36 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

quote:

So sorry I haven't replied until now, Furry, I forgot I posted here. I have asked for a tablet for my Christmas so I have to wait and see. As long as I can read comics and books on it while surfing the net, I don't mind

No problem Shifty, be sure to let me know how it works out!

This video on Bleeding Cool is an interesting watch: CLICK

I completely disagree with his preferred viewing choice; I'd really have to read the comics vertically, where you can see the whole page. Not really interested in having to scroll or flip the tablet so much. Not all comics are as widescreen-based as Marvel or DC either. I'm pretty sure the Nexus' size (10.1") means you could read a full comics page in vertical mode without having to zoom in on word balloons or any of that guff.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 17
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 31/12/2012 3:29:37 PM   
indysgill

I have uploaded this comparison of my Nook HD+ and an actual 2000AD page, you have to excuse the yellow tint on the nook it still has the plastic over it, awaiting the screen protector.

Not bad at all.

Image is on the large size!

Post #: 18
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 1/1/2013 1:47:55 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks for sharing that Indysgill. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Its better than reading it panel by panel which is a little irritating at times. by the way have you read prog 2013 yet? I thought it was a great read!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 19
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 2/1/2013 10:34:42 PM   
indysgill

Not yet, turns out i was further behind than I thought - about to start Prog 1767!!

Post #: 20
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 2/1/2013 11:25:54 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Not yet, turns out i was further behind than I thought - about to start Prog 1767!!

Blimey!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 21
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 3/1/2013 1:22:58 AM   
furrybastard

Is that a 7-inch tablet indysgill? Do you need to zoom in sometimes to read the dialogue?

I know 2000AD is a slightly bigger format than US comics so it would be interesting to see how one of those look too!

Post #: 22
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 4/1/2013 12:50:59 PM   
indysgill

It is a 9 inch tablet, exactly 9 inch according to the manual in the box. I know the iPad is almost an inch bigger, but I am not paying 300 extra for that. Have no problems reading 2000AD sized comics, no zooming required.
Here is another photo with a US sized comic, still very clear to read, even though it is smaller than the actual page. Must be the display resolution which is the same as the new iPad 3's.

Post #: 23
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 4/1/2013 1:10:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thats pretty good mate. Hmm, very tempted!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 24
RE: Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? - 4/1/2013 2:57:02 PM   
indysgill

I got mine from Argos.

Something to note though, i hacked mine as the Barnes and Noble front end does not let you goto anywhere else but its store.
Hacking it was no more than copying some files to a SD card and running that, now i can use Comixology and sync my android and windows versions of Comicrack, which syncs info and bookmarks between the two.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Comic book readers for laptops/PCs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI