Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 10:14:13 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Can't beleave with takings of over $200 million worldwide MGM are saying that Girl With A Dragon Tattoo is going to make a loss makes you wonder what studio heads do with the budget half the time?
Hopefully this won't affect the remaing 2 films in the trilogy.
Post #: 1
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 10:52:46 AM   
tftrman

What are the sources of this information? Considering the story and content of the film the studio execs should probably have had modest expectations for this but I still can't believe it made a loss. Having said that I imagine it will make a decent dent on the home cinema front (or maybe that's just because it will be a first day of release purchase for me!)

I am also hoping that the sequels, preferably with Fincher at the helm, get made and aren't compromised as a result.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 2
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 11:34:50 AM   
Rob

Also it was a co-financing deal with Sony so whilst MGM make a small loss it's conceivable that Sony won't. Also the fact that it got good reviews and has only just been released on DVD should see the film turn a profit

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 3
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 12:27:24 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Stick to the Books or the (better) Swedish films.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 4
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 1:28:22 PM   
Rob

Fincher is one of my favourite directors so I was predisposed to liking this but I honestly thought it was the best version of the story I've seen / read. Rapace was great in the Swedish version but I thought Mara was better. It was one of my favourite films of the last 12 months and I really hop that all the principals return for any sequels.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 1:55:29 PM   
tftrman

Yeah, one of, if not the, best film of last year for me. The book is the better telling of the story though I thought.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 6
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 3:51:27 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Can't beleave with takings of over $200 million worldwide MGM are saying that Girl With A Dragon Tattoo is going to make a loss makes you wonder what studio heads do with the budget half the time?
Hopefully this won't affect the remaing 2 films in the trilogy.

It isn't the studio heads, it's the director. Fincher is notoriously expensive director. Most directors would have been able to make a film like The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo for half of what Fincher did.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 7
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 4:31:44 PM   
tftrman

Just looking on box office mojo (not sure how respected it is for results) but It has made $232 million worldwide on a production budget of $90 million. Even taking into account advertising, it's turned a profit on what is a "hard R-rated" film.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 8
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 5:32:57 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Just looking on box office mojo (not sure how respected it is for results) but It has made $232 million worldwide on a production budget of $90 million. Even taking into account advertising, it's turned a profit on what is a "hard R-rated" film.

The movie cost $150 million to produce and market. That's $300 million worldwide to break even.

quote:

lso it was a co-financing deal with Sony so whilst MGM make a small loss it's conceivable that Sony won't. Also the fact that it got good reviews and has only just been released on DVD should see the film turn a profit

As Sony put in most of the money they will take a much bigger hit than MGM.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 9
RE: MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss - 23/3/2012 11:35:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

They say it was a 10 percent loss, so likely it won't be long before the movie is in profit.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> MGM says G.W.T.D.T will make a loss Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI