Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wild Bill - 23/3/2012 12:28:24 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Incoming!!! - 23/3/2012 12:28:24 AM   
Zander Graves

Having seen this at the cinema I was originally set for the age old typical story of east end strife followed by the normal on set of violence and a roller coaster film of gangster nonsense of the type you would expect to see Danny Dyer in.
Thankfully this was nothing of the sort, a well thought out gritty story of how life is for families and children in areas which are not so well funded. It is laced with comedy, hardship and an underlying theme of what is a fathers role, to his children , when he has not been an archetype role model. Tipping my hat to some other reviews this does seem like a western for the modern ages where a father comes to terms through the post prison hardship the errors of his ways and his reluctant will to do right by his kids, support them and be that father they have lacked.
This is a great ensemble of British acting talent ranging from the most established to the most under-rated and is indicative of the trust they give to this directors first debut.
All that said and done this is the first directorial debut of Dexter Fletcher and the boy has done good, the story is gritty, direct and deals with the serious subject in inner cities today around what are father figures, role models and how do children who lack this support evolve and survive in this social construct.

This is a brave jump from being an actor into directing for someone who has worked with the greats and it seems, for me , to have really paid off.

I am hoping he picks up some great scripts and is given the opportunity to direct some great films for the future.

< Message edited by Zander Graves -- 23/3/2012 12:45:55 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Incoming!!! - 24/3/2012 10:09:41 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Thought this was an excellent film with stand out performances from Charlie (great to see him back on top form) & Will Poulter (i've said it before & i'll say it again this kid'll be massive). But you've got to say massive congrats to Dexter Fletcher on his Directorial debut thought he handled it superbly.
Just hope people get out & see this fantastic "BRITISH FILM!" (Always feels like your saying something dirty when you say that.) & not let it get over-run by the tide of big budget films on the horizen.
A superb 8/10

(in reply to Zander Graves)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Wild Bill Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI