Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One

GZA - Liquid Swords (1995)
  40% (4)
Lee Hazlewood - Requiem For an Almost Lady (1971)
  20% (2)
Low - Things We Lost in the Fire (2001)
  10% (1)
Madonna - Ray of Light (1998)
  0% (0)
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves (2003)
  0% (0)
Rufus Wainwright - Want One (2003)
  20% (2)
Rush - Moving Pictures (1980)
  10% (1)
The Smiths - Rank (1988)
  0% (0)

Total Votes : 10

(last vote on : 18/4/2012 2:00:37 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 2:48:50 PM   
superdan

She looks a bit like wots her face from the Ting Tings in that photo.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 31
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 2:57:45 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

That's not her name.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 32
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 3:06:13 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

That's not her name.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 33
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 7:19:30 PM   
hubu_phonk

Woa! people have voted already are they the public vote? if so it's made me think it seems kind of unfair to the AHoF noms if folk are just voting for the ones they like/know and not listening to the other albums. I thought all HoF winners win by judging them in comparison to other nominees.

I sound like a crying little bitch to be honest, but i thought i'd just ask. And no i'm not sore that 'Requiem' has no votes yet, even though it's simply the best

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 34
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 7:24:22 PM   
rawlinson

Public votes for the HoFs generally tend to end up being won by the best known film or album in the competition. But the public vote only counts for 1/9th of the overall votes. You know you can vote for your own album in the public vote though? It actually makes more sense to vote for your own because that way you're helping to make sure it has a chance of getting some points in the public vote.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 35
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 7:26:38 PM   
Rebel scum

That usually happens with the public vote in all the HoFs-some people don't watch/listen to/read everything before voting and/or just vote for one they really like.

Fortunately, people actually in the round have to listen to everything-it's part of agreeing to do it in the first place, so any discrepancy in the public vote tends to matter less.

EDIT-Rawls beat me to it.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 26/3/2012 7:27:05 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 36
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 7:30:07 PM   
hubu_phonk

Ah dead on. Didn't know i had a public vote too. I'll just say though i'll vote for what i consider the best album in comparison, whether it's mine or not. Hopefully i can get a bash at the some of the others tonight. I'm quite enjoying this

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 37
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 26/3/2012 9:36:07 PM   
hubu_phonk

got stuck into Rufus Wainwright - Want One tonight

I feel he's man who comfortably wears his influences and inspirations on his sleeve, and it works for him. The album started great with a lush, cornucopia of beatle-esq strings and brass and then slows down to a more traditional, blues cabaret in the latter half. In his singing style, tone and some musical arrangements/sounds i felt there was a definite Radiohead circa 'The Bends' and an occasional 'Kid A' sound breathing on most of the songs. If not that he had a quite beautiful, if not unexpected, singing style nearing the end of the album. I can't quite place it yet, but he sang quite feminine, not in pitch but in attitude and reference. Again it fits within the context of his musical reference and quite a joy to listen too at times.

The boy can sing though ( but i must add that so far in the AHoF there's a serious lack of baritone), but the other side of the coin of that is that I did start to tire of his voice (or at least the way he started a song) a wee bit nearing the end. But most 'singer songwriters' do this for me the past few years. On a last note 'Velvet Curtain' was a nice ending to the album, a cigar smoked drenched finale to an audience, tired, drunk but lethargically gripped by a fantastic performance in the small wee hours of Nazi occupied France. An interesting introduction to an unheard of artist for me who obviously has a talent and great production behind him, and one i'm looking forward to giving that second listen to before i vote.

Stand out tracks so far: 'I don't know what it is' and 'Vibrate' ( for it's almost early Disney animated film orchestration, not it's lyrics which i found a bit wick) and 'Harvester of Hearts'

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 26/3/2012 9:44:57 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 38
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 27/3/2012 12:27:45 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Glad you enjoyed the Wainwright - given your proclivity for odd sounds I wasn't sure how you'd find it.

Finished the first listens, thoughts are:

GZA

I really enjoyed the old ninja samples and there was a couple great hooks to go with the lyrics, which I haven't always found with rap albums. If I had to listen to more than one Wu Tang-affiliated album at a time it might become wearing (they really like ninjas and ninja movies) but this was fun while it lasted.

Lee Hazlewood

From what I've heard, a really great discovery. When I put it on the first time I immediately thought of Leonard Cohen circa Songs Of Love And Hate - Hazlewood seems to mine a similar vein of misery, except the songs were much tighter, sunnier and the hooks more apparent. I liked the spoken word introductions as well, very matter of fact in describing the rocky ways of love. Also - moustache. I could hear it rustling brilliantly in the background

Low

The atmosphere was at times brilliant and several songs seemed to have that heartfelt anthemic chugging thing going on. The guitars also sounded gorgeous and shimmery and clean, which I really liked. As it went on though, the melody-atmosphere ratio got a bit lopsided, and I found my attention wandering a bit. The first half managed to get the ratio right on but the second half didn't hold my interest with no strong melodies like on Dinosaur Act or Sunflower poking through to compliment the atmospherics.

Madonna

I liked it before and I liked it again. The obvious highlights are the singles but there's also some interesting diversions in between (Shanti/Ashtangi is a bit George Harrison though, but without a genuine fondness for that type music coming across as in George's case, rather just a co-opting of it as a means to an end, like Kabbalah or yoga.). Some of the beats and electronic elements are quite '90s and so have dated a bit (makes me appreciate Björk's genius even more) but I don't think being identified with a certain time is necessarily a bad thing. I like the hummed melody part in Frozen most of all, that's well good, The Power Of Good-Bye a close second, very close.

My Morning Jacket

I know MMJ have a reputation as something of a jam band and it showed on the longer tracks which were content to let the song unfold in an unhurried manner. On some songs I was happy to let it play out, but others I thought could do with a trim. Over 70 minutes is a long timeif you don't have the greatest amount of variation from track to track but Jim James does have a singular voice which carries you through it.

Rush

I always admire a bit of spirit and warmth over technical finesse so Rush weren't really my cup of tea unfortunately. Undoubtedly they are accomplished musicians, but it still had an air of "consummate professionalism" as Patrick Bateman would say. Some tracks did transcend that, though, with some interesting ideas.

The Smiths

Morrissey and co.'s studio recordings have a really nice clean sound and a lovely jangle in Johnny Marr's guitars are always a highlight, so I was quite disappointed to hear all of this album backed by a sludgy rhythm guitar (the work of a touring guitarist, I've read) that did away with subtlety or dynamics for the most part while Johnny did his best with lead. So it all kind of blended together somewhat. The melodies always shone through in the end but with better renditions out there I can't see myself returning.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 27/3/2012 12:29:33 AM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 39
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 27/3/2012 5:49:26 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Glad you enjoyed the Wainwright - given your proclivity for odd sounds I wasn't sure how you'd find it.

Lee Hazlewood

From what I've heard, a really great discovery. When I put it on the first time I immediately thought of Leonard Cohen circa Songs Of Love And Hate - Hazlewood seems to mine a similar vein of misery, except the songs were much tighter, sunnier and the hooks more apparent. I liked the spoken word introductions as well, very matter of fact in describing the rocky ways of love. Also - moustache. I could hear it rustling brilliantly in the background

Aye, the young Rufus is an interesting scamp. So glad you dig ol' man Lee and his awesome 'tashe

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 40
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 30/3/2012 4:19:31 PM   
MovieAddict247

Liquid Swords

I really enjoyed it (a lot more than I expected to, as well). It's something I'd not listen to normally (it just wouldn't cross my mind to) and I've never listened to any of the Wu-Tang Clan stuff, so it was nice just to listen to something new . The backing music was fantastic (as was some of the sampling). It's probably not something I'd return to, but I did enjoy it. Cold World was my favourite track by far.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 41
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 6/4/2012 12:28:11 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well after a wee break i got stuck into the second to last album i have to listen to.

Rush - Moving Pictures

This is the one album that i was really looking forward to listening to. I know the name, and as i was going through a porg phase a while back, so i was looking forward to hearing what they had to offer on this album. I personally wouldn't of gone towards Rush as i always sewn them together with the band Extreme, both artists my mum had when i was young, so i had that slight memory and apprehension of Rush being 80's muck. But as i've experienced different music since then i now have an ear to listen to such bands.

As said previously in the thread it does have that aura of the 'consummate professional' and looking at the info on this album i can see that this is their 8th studio offering, promting me to listen to their earlier albums, so as to contextualise my thoughts of 'Moving Pictures' within the parameters of their output. But that's another project for another time so off to my thoughts...

..... Even though the whole album had the sheen of well oiled musicians and producers, they still know how to lay on a good tune with lots of little great touches with synths, great guitar riffs and proggy grooves. I do feel the whole album is a little formulaic and even though some songs were steady well made grooves that i fully enjoyed, just uninspired me a little.It does have a strong, almost 'pop' sensibility and song construction that reminds me of a time when rock could be radio friendly and still keep it's chugging sound without that ' i'm rock as fuck' attitude or on the flip side that spineless, "wet as a fart" sound that can be so easily done by bands wanting/being made to sound appealing to the masses. Every song was enjoyable, but that's not to say there wasn't a couple of weak ones on there that just lacked a little direction in comparison

Also to be honest the singing and sound does feel dated, but only slightly, and didn't spoil my enjoyment (or my constant foot tapping) of 'Moving Pictures'. If i could drive, definitely an album i would have in the car for those long journeys

Stand out tracks so far: "YYZ" , "The Camera Eye" and ""Witch Hunt"

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 6/4/2012 12:29:33 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 42
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 7/4/2012 8:56:44 AM   
hubu_phonk

Just a note to Larry up there! if you are still having trouble getting the full 'Requiem..' album i can send it via my drop box easy enough. Just send me your email address and i'll add you.

Also for all you other audiophiles, i was thinking of creating a AHoF folder in my dropbox so that anyone that had problems getting certain albums can get hold of them via the nominator (this could be handy in possibly rare or hard to get albums) we can use dropbox. If anyone is unsure just google dropbox, it's pretty handy and simple and could be used for other things such as the mix-club etc

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 43
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 7/4/2012 10:27:51 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Cheers hubu, sent you a PM just now.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 44
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 7/4/2012 11:07:37 AM   
hubu_phonk

Sent you a PM, fingers crossed!

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 45
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 7/4/2012 11:19:22 AM   
superdan

That dropbox thing sounds like a good idea to me. I'll download it when I get home.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 46
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 7/4/2012 11:23:37 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

That dropbox thing sounds like a good idea to me. I'll download it when I get home.

It is. A friend of mine invited me a while back and we sent a load of albums and our own compilations to each other for a while. The initial box is free but the limited size is big enough for this kind of endeavour

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 8/4/2012 12:19:19 PM   
moontheloon

I used dropbox for my mix club thing with DJ Satan, I'd never heard of it before, but it was easy enough to use and I think that sounds like a good idea.

I should have my votes to you by the end of the week, been at work a bit over easter, but I'm off for a while now, so plenty of free time for music

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 48
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 10/4/2012 11:39:38 PM   
hubu_phonk

Finally got around to The Smiths - Rank

It was only as i was about to put it on, that i realised i haven't listened to a smiths album, let alone a song in nearly ten years! So i had a feeling that nostalgia would play a big part in my enjoyment. It did, but that's not to say it was only that. Firstly i've never heard a Smiths live album and Rank had that somewhat rambunctious sound and feel, that only a live album can deliver and that was a breath of fresh air in this AHoF. It was great to hear a lot of songs that i've forgotten about and also how damn good the music was, and played well live too. A great live album even though it didn't deliver anything new apart from great energy and hooks-a-plenty, and to be honest i would like to crack out my dusty Smiths albums and see how Rank compares in light of this.

So great music, full of nostalgia, has filled my head with forgotten songs and memories and to top that, it was great to remember how great musicians they were, but Rank as a AHoF winner? i'm not too sure, even though it was of the few choices i 've pretty much fully enjoyed from top to bottom

Stand out tracks - Vicar In A Tutu, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Still ill and Bigmouth Strikes Again

So that's me. I only have to Listen to Low and My Morning Jacket again to confirm a few thoughts, and then i'll pass my votes

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 10/4/2012 11:44:34 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 49
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 12/4/2012 3:40:55 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

A great live album even though it didn't deliver anything new apart from great energy and hooks-a-plenty, and to be honest i would like to crack out my dusty Smiths albums and see how Rank compares in light of this.

So great music, full of nostalgia, has filled my head with forgotten songs and memories and to top that, it was great to remember how great musicians they were, but Rank as a AHoF winner? i'm not too sure, even though it was of the few choices i 've pretty much fully enjoyed from top to bottom

Well, I'm happy enough with that

Just finished Want One. Oh What a World is a fantastic opener (so much so that I unfairly compared all the other tracks to it). All in all, I really enjoyed the album, and it's the first Wainwright album I've listened to in full. A few more tracks stood out, such as 14th Street, and I can't wait to give it another listen.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 50
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 12/4/2012 3:46:37 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

A great live album even though it didn't deliver anything new apart from great energy and hooks-a-plenty, and to be honest i would like to crack out my dusty Smiths albums and see how Rank compares in light of this.

Well, I'm happy enough with that

Actually i must give you a big up. I've been streaming some of the Smiths Albums since i listened to Rank. I'm loving listening to them again

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 51
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 11:46:04 AM   
MovieAddict247

What's the email address for this?

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 52
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 5:02:25 PM   
Larry of Arabia

For votes, you mean? You just PM them to me.

Post #: 53
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 8:47:09 PM   
MovieAddict247

Fab - just PM'd you.

Post #: 54
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 9:18:20 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I've got them (and I am well, thank you ), and I've got Moon's too, cheers.

Post #: 55
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 9:25:09 PM   
hubu_phonk

when is the deadline? i could send a vote pretty dead on now but i havent had the chance to get them two re-listens

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 56
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 9:42:05 PM   
Larry of Arabia

We'll say this Friday coming is the deadline, so you should have plenty of time. Also, to clamp down on tardiness, anyone who doesn't get them in by then forfeits their votes and the Audiophile HoF bus will rumble on regardless - myself behind the wheel, drunk with power. Much like this:

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 57
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 9:53:57 PM   
hubu_phonk

By Friday! sugar sweet, bags of time

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 58
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 11:40:33 PM   
Rebel scum

Votes sent.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 59
RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One - 15/4/2012 11:48:19 PM   
Larry of Arabia

And received, cheers.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Audiophile Hall of Fame 15: Round One Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI