Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 20/3/2012 4:21:19 PM   
st3veebee

Read somewhere that it is coming out June 4th 2012. About bloody time.

Cannot wait to see Ali emerging in hi def.

Anyone else able to confirm this date or even just anticipating this masterpiece on Blu Ray??

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5
Post #: 1
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 20/3/2012 4:29:02 PM   
Spaldron

Where did you read it and you got a link? I always thought it would be next year due to the 50th anniversary.

EDIT: Whenever it comes out I'm hoping it gets a cinema re-release with a full digital remaster.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 20/3/2012 4:30:10 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 2
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 20/3/2012 5:11:06 PM   
adambatman82

4th June was announced at one point, but seems to have been withdrawn for now. It's Sony's flagship restoration this year, so will be out at some point.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 3
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 20/3/2012 8:01:20 PM   
emogeek

In the last lot of the Sony Classics releases (Close Encounters, Crouching Tiger and Strangelove) there was a flyer advertising that the next releases in the series are Caine Mutiny and Larry The Arab. So June is probably about right.

Can't wait.

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 4
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 20/3/2012 10:10:31 PM   
TheGodfather

I do hope they go all out on that release!

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 5
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 21/3/2012 11:24:14 AM   
st3veebee

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lawrence-of-Arabia-Blu-ray/30759/

Yeah not the best source, but my hopes are already up.

Latest Films:

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 6
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 21/3/2012 11:41:09 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

I do hope they go all out on that release!

The UK release is a part of the Sony Classics label, which I think is a bit of a shame really. The label has released some great (and special) discs like Taxi Driver and The Bridge On The River Kwai, alas more recently its been used as a platform to reissue things that had been thrown out during the early days of the format, leaving the collection to look a little schizophrenic. To be honest, I associate it with budget reissues, not landmark home video events, which is a shame.

I'm expecting that the US disc will really push the boat out tho. It's Sony's flagship restoration, so I wouldn't expect anything less than what they did for The Bridge On The River Kwai and Taxi Driver (lavish box sets with all sorts of extra stuff).

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 21/3/2012 11:42:10 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 21/3/2012 9:21:04 PM   
TheGodfather

They better! because even though I already got the 2 disc dvd digipack (Dutch release) I will be getting this

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

Post #: 8
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 5/6/2012 7:05:42 AM   
Spaldron

So its past June 4th and no release.

Post #: 9
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 5/6/2012 9:58:33 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I think the latest chatter is it'll arrive mid September. The June release date was never confirmed.

The new restoration was shown at Cannes and was, by all accounts, remarkable. Hopefully there will be a theatrical release as well as the Blu-ray. One of my biggest cinema regrets is not going to a 70mm screening at the BFI when I had the chance.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 10
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 5/6/2012 3:10:06 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

I think the latest chatter is it'll arrive mid September. The June release date was never confirmed.

The new restoration was shown at Cannes and was, by all accounts, remarkable. Hopefully there will be a theatrical release as well as the Blu-ray. One of my biggest cinema regrets is not going to a 70mm screening at the BFI when I had the chance.

Yes, in fact I'm not even too fussed about the blu release. Its the prospect of seeing a brand new print on the big screen which has got me all excited.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 11
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 11/6/2012 3:23:19 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, in fact I'm not even too fussed about the blu release. Its the prospect of seeing a brand new print on the big screen which has got me all excited.

Same here! I've been staring at your Avatar for the past few minutes with the theme going in my head. Not sure if that says I love the film or I'm secretly in love with Peter O'Toole.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 12
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 11/6/2012 3:41:43 PM   
MonsterCat

Well, he is so fucking pretty in that flick.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 13
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 11/6/2012 3:47:13 PM   
Spaldron

Anyone here seen Prometheus yet? Michael Fassbender does an excellent P.O. Toole impression, he could totally play him in the biopic.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 14
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 11/6/2012 4:45:53 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Anyone here seen Prometheus yet? Michael Fassbender does an excellent P.O. Toole impression, he could totally play him in the biopic.

I saw someone mention on twitter how cool it would have been to see O'Toole play Weyland in Prometheus. Especially seeing as Pearce's old man schtick wasn't up to much (not to mention it being completely unnecessary for a younger actor to play the role).

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 15
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 15/6/2012 2:58:39 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lawrence-of-Arabia-Blu-ray/30759/

Yeah not the best source, but my hopes are already up.

If you check tht link now it states the blu ray is out Sept 10th. A must buy.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 16
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 16/6/2012 9:50:03 AM   
Dpp1978

For those of you near Edinburgh.

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/films/2012/lawrence-of-arabia

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 17
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/6/2012 2:15:45 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Just booked tickets for Thursday, cannot wait!

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 18
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/6/2012 8:08:41 AM   
DancingClown

Absolutely chomping at the bit about this! I've been in love with this movie since I was 13, I guess it was my first proper 'epic', one that transcended the mere notion of adventure and made me see the bigger picture cinematically - both in a literal and figurative sense. Seven years later I was lucky enough to catch a special screening with the Manchester Uni's Film Society for the film's 35th anniversary. Awesome.

I'm just praying this blu-ray release does it justice and respect.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 19/6/2012 8:09:38 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 19
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/6/2012 10:53:41 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

I am genuinely envious.

As they are showing the new restoration, from which the Blu-ray will be derived, you'll have a pretty good idea of what we can expect in a couple of months.

Let us know what you think.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 20
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/6/2012 3:34:50 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

I am genuinely envious.

As they are showing the new restoration, from which the Blu-ray will be derived, you'll have a pretty good idea of what we can expect in a couple of months.

Let us know what you think.

Will do, I'll probably do a write up in the favourite films thread but will copy it onto here. And yeah I'm genuinely intrigued as to how the new transfer will turn out, as Sony seems to have put a lot of effort into the restoration it should look sweet (provided its projected correctly).

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 21
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/6/2012 6:57:45 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Just two more sleeps to go!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 22
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 22/6/2012 3:14:04 PM   
Spaldron

I posted this in favourite films but will repost here due to the blu ray relevance. I've highlighted the technical specs.

Me and the gf had one of the best cinema experiences of my life seeing the newly restored version of Lawrence last night at the EIFF. The film was introduced by an official looking guy from Sony who gave a brief account of the 18 month restoration process including how David Lean's editor Anne V. Coates consulted on the project particularly the colour issues.. The Sony guy also mentioned that the film would have another screening in London later this year (presumably at the LIFF) for all those wanting to catch a screening of this down south. No mention of a more general release pre the blu-ray.

Thelma Schoonmaker was also in the audience.

As for the film itself there's not much more I can say (in terms of critical appraisal) that hasn't already been said before. What I will say though is that seeing this on the big screen (especially for the first time) is immensely greater than watching it at home and you should jump at the chance to see this in the cinema if you can. Everything about the film is heightened and intensified, from the humorous exchange between Lawrence and General Murray to the massive vistas accompanied by the booming score during those desert crossings. The attack on Aqaba is truly stunning with the floor of the cinema literally shaking, later echoed by the "no prisoners" massacre which looks far more violent and shocking than it ever did on dvd. This is what a truly cinematic experience really means, a near 4 hour epic in glorious widescreen Technicolor. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up several times during the film and I nearly had a tear in my eye at the end. I should point out the specific cut of the film (if you didn't know) will be the 1989 directors cut which as the Sony guy pointed out is the definitive version now. It also came with the full Overture and Intermission which was very welcome. Stunning.

As for the restoration all I can say is Sony have done a stellar job, one of the best I've seen. There's not a single scratch or piece of dirt to be found (although at one point I though I saw dirt which turned out to be a tiny fly whizzing past Alec Guinness' head, a detail lost on dvd). Its also as pin sharp as you can expect to see on a 50 year old film, there are some shots where you can practically count the every grain of sand or every whisker on Omar Shariff's amazing tache. This is particularly welcome as I found the dvd suffered from occasional (if minor) blurring. There is a little bit of grain here and there on the wide shots but that's to be expected on an old film like this and in all honesty will probably only be noticed on larger screens/tv's. The most striking part of the visual restoration I found was the colour, especially those that stand out against the desert. The reds, blues and blacks in particular are deep and vibrant, from the clothing of the Bedouin to Lawrence's striking blue eyes which are deeper than ever, especially on the close ups. Of course the money shots are the ones that stick in the memory, those epic wide shots of the endless desert just pull you into the world, you can practically feel the heat coming off the screen.

They've done some significant work to the sound mix, the one I saw was (presumably) the full lossless digital surround mix. The first thing I noticed was the score which boomed out of every speaker and sounds crystal clear. Same can be said for the sound mix, in particular the dialogue which has definitely been cleaned up. It also sounds less tinny than it did on dvd (whether or not this was as a result of seeing it on the big screen is debatable) but it definitely sounds more powerful and lifelike than before. Obviously though with such high levels of clarity brings up some of the more noticeable inconsistencies, I'm speaking in particular of the ADR done by the actors for the 1989 restoration which in some scenes sound very out of place (particularly Guinness' lines) but tbh one cant really complain about the audio being "too clear". Some of the standout moments include the scene where Lawrence sings to himself, with the echoes bouncing around the room and some of the larger crowd scenes.

All in all it was a joy to see such a masterpiece restored to its former glory and as I pointed out earlier if you can see this on the screen before the blu-ray comes out as I believe seeing it as originally intended will bring a renewed appreciation for this Lean's greatest film.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 24/6/2012 1:26:16 AM >

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 23
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 22/6/2012 4:29:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

The Sony guy also mentioned that the film would have another screening in London later this year (presumably at the LIFF) for all those wanting to catch a screening of this down south. No mention of a more general release pre the blu-ray.

Mentioned this in the other thread, but it's more apt here. The film was confirmed for full theatrical release just this morning, for November 16th. What this means for the Blu-ray release is anyones guess: I can't see them going theatrical after a Blu-ray release, but at the same time I can't see them releasing a Blu-ray any closer to Christmas that the end of November. I guess we'll have to hold tight. Cant wait to see it tho. A couple of my friends were at the Sony screening in London last night, and they've been nothing but hugely positive about the whole thing. I saw it in 70mm last year, which was hugely impressive, and I'm eager to see what of that the digital version can replicate.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 24
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 22/6/2012 11:20:19 PM   
efc91

We should get the Blu-ray soon after its part of the same sony collection as the UK Taxi Driver release, From memory the blu-ray came out a couple of weeks after Taxi Driver was re released in cinemas last year. Looking forward to seeing Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen.

Post #: 25
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 25/6/2012 2:44:42 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

I posted this in favourite films but will repost here due to the blu ray relevance. I've highlighted the technical specs.

Me and the gf had one of the best cinema experiences of my life seeing the newly restored version of Lawrence last night at the EIFF. The film was introduced by an official looking guy from Sony who gave a brief account of the 18 month restoration process including how David Lean's editor Anne V. Coates consulted on the project particularly the colour issues.. The Sony guy also mentioned that the film would have another screening in London later this year (presumably at the LIFF) for all those wanting to catch a screening of this down south. No mention of a more general release pre the blu-ray.

Thelma Schoonmaker was also in the audience.

As for the film itself there's not much more I can say (in terms of critical appraisal) that hasn't already been said before. What I will say though is that seeing this on the big screen (especially for the first time) is immensely greater than watching it at home and you should jump at the chance to see this in the cinema if you can. Everything about the film is heightened and intensified, from the humorous exchange between Lawrence and General Murray to the massive vistas accompanied by the booming score during those desert crossings. The attack on Aqaba is truly stunning with the floor of the cinema literally shaking, later echoed by the "no prisoners" massacre which looks far more violent and shocking than it ever did on dvd. This is what a truly cinematic experience really means, a near 4 hour epic in glorious widescreen Technicolor. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up several times during the film and I nearly had a tear in my eye at the end. I should point out the specific cut of the film (if you didn't know) will be the 1989 directors cut which as the Sony guy pointed out is the definitive version now. It also came with the full Overture and Intermission which was very welcome. Stunning.

As for the restoration all I can say is Sony have done a stellar job, one of the best I've seen. There's not a single scratch or piece of dirt to be found (although at one point I though I saw dirt which turned out to be a tiny fly whizzing past Alec Guinness' head, a detail lost on dvd). Its also as pin sharp as you can expect to see on a 50 year old film, there are some shots where you can practically count the every grain of sand or every whisker on Omar Shariff's amazing tache. This is particularly welcome as I found the dvd suffered from occasional (if minor) blurring. There is a little bit of grain here and there on the wide shots but that's to be expected on an old film like this and in all honesty will probably only be noticed on larger screens/tv's. The most striking part of the visual restoration I found was the colour, especially those that stand out against the desert. The reds, blues and blacks in particular are deep and vibrant, from the clothing of the Bedouin to Lawrence's striking blue eyes which are deeper than ever, especially on the close ups. Of course the money shots are the ones that stick in the memory, those epic wide shots of the endless desert just pull you into the world, you can practically feel the heat coming off the screen.

They've done some significant work to the sound mix, the one I saw was (presumably) the full lossless digital surround mix. The first thing I noticed was the score which boomed out of every speaker and sounds crystal clear. Same can be said for the sound mix, in particular the dialogue which has definitely been cleaned up. It also sounds less tinny than it did on dvd (whether or not this was as a result of seeing it on the big screen is debatable) but it definitely sounds more powerful and lifelike than before. Obviously though with such high levels of clarity brings up some of the more noticeable inconsistencies, I'm speaking in particular of the ADR done by the actors for the 1989 restoration which in some scenes sound very out of place (particularly Guinness' lines) but tbh one cant really complain about the audio being "too clear". Some of the standout moments include the scene where Lawrence sings to himself, with the echoes bouncing around the room and some of the larger crowd scenes.

All in all it was a joy to see such a masterpiece restored to its former glory and as I pointed out earlier if you can see this on the screen before the blu-ray comes out as I believe seeing it as originally intended will bring a renewed appreciation for this Lean's greatest film.

Fantastic stuff Spalds, it has whetted my appetite for a cinema viewing of Lawrence like never before. Really hope this arrives in Dublin sometime! Otherwise I'm off to England to watch it.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 26
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/7/2012 2:10:30 PM   
directorscut

November 13th.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 27
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/7/2012 2:15:26 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

November 13th.

Art

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 28
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/7/2012 2:22:04 PM   
adambatman82

Love the US Box-set, will be importing for sure. It's just a shame that the UK get this instead.

On the plus side, it *is* only 11.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 29
RE: Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release - 19/7/2012 2:26:04 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Love the US Box-set, will be importing for sure. It's just a shame that the UK get this instead.

On the plus side, it *is* only 11.

11 quid? Wow, that's cheap as chips! Cannot wait for this!

Art

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray release Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI