Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 25/3/2012 2:21:49 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America. What's the point? Just give it one name for god's sake, makes life so much easier.

I heard they were afraid Christians would stay away if Scientists was in the title. That may be complete bullshit though.

I bet its true, the word scientist is worse that paedophile in some states, and not forgetting the film features Charles Darwin as a character who is basically Satan as far as half of America is concerned.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 31
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 28/3/2012 10:56:52 AM   
grucl

"License to kill" was first called "License revoked". They changed it due to the fact that people in the US might have thought it was about someone getting his driver's license taken away.

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 32
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 29/3/2012 1:58:50 AM   
fuzzy

Fast Five in the States, Fast and the Furious 5 over here and Fast and the Furious 5: Rio Heist in some other countries i think. But when it got to Sky Movies recently it had the US title back. Weird. The US title was due to possible confusion with the Furious Five in the Kung Fu Panda films. Yup, cos 6 year olds are the target audience for these kind of films

And Battle: Los Angeles was World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles in Europe so not to leave the rest of the world out I guess. Don't they know that aliens are only interested in America though?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 33
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 29/3/2012 9:06:03 AM   
grucl

The Jet Li movie "Cradle 2 the grave" was renamed "Born 2 die" for the German market.

Also: "District 13" was called "Ghettogangz" over here (yes, with a "z")...

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 34
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 29/3/2012 4:49:22 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

And Battle: Los Angeles was World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles in Europe so not to leave the rest of the world out I guess. Don't they know that aliens are only interested in America though?

I figured that was just to let us know that the alien invasion was all over the world, which seems like a good idea considering I heard A LOT of people complaining that it was just America again. Apparently the mentions of cities in England/Japan etc in the actual film weren't big enough hints.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 35
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 3/4/2012 10:19:06 AM   
Wyvenetta

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

*sigh* "Marvel Avengers Assemble" Dear god.
They might as well have called it "Marvel's Avengers Group Together in a Secluded Area to do Various Tasks"
Anyone got any more terrible overseas movie title changes?

Our local cinema in England has the banners up and they all just say 'Avengers'. Wonder if it was a very last minute change?

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 36
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 5/4/2012 3:38:23 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wyvenetta

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

*sigh* "Marvel Avengers Assemble" Dear god.
They might as well have called it "Marvel's Avengers Group Together in a Secluded Area to do Various Tasks"
Anyone got any more terrible overseas movie title changes?

Our local cinema in England has the banners up and they all just say 'Avengers'. Wonder if it was a very last minute change?

I think so yes as the first trailer had 'The Avengers' title in the UK but then the second trailer had 'Avengers Assemble', very silly really.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Wyvenetta)
Post #: 37
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 7/4/2012 4:26:35 PM   
Sotto Voce

I've put these in another thread, but Japan has come up with a few world-beaters.
Army of Darkness became Captain Supermarket
Children of Men became Future World
War of the Worlds became Space War
Thor became Mighty Thor, otherwise it would be indistinguishable from Saw.
If there was a movie called The Heart Rocker (not too unlikely), they would have to change the title, or it would be the same as The Hurt Locker.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 38
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 14/4/2012 2:58:11 PM   
S1lent B0b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

I've put these in another thread, but Japan has come up with a few world-beaters.
Army of Darkness became Captain Supermarket
Children of Men became Future World
War of the Worlds became Space War
Thor became Mighty Thor, otherwise it would be indistinguishable from Saw.
If there was a movie called The Heart Rocker (not too unlikely), they would have to change the title, or it would be the same as The Hurt Locker.

I can remember seeing that somewhere... I have to say that is undoubtedly the most ridiculous title change ever.

Goodbye Everybody, I have left the forum forever.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 39
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 15/4/2012 12:53:49 AM   
rich

The Japanese poster for Army of Darkness is amazing

Meanwhile...

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 40
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 15/4/2012 1:09:35 AM   
Shifty Bench

You mean the one with Bruce Campbell's name on soup cans? It's pretty genius

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 41
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 15/4/2012 8:02:09 AM   
MovieAddict247

The Wettest County in the World was changed to The Promised Land then was changed back and shortened to The Wettest County.

The Wettest County titles I'm not a fan of, but they do at least stay the same as the book. However, The Weinstein Company have now changed it it Lawless. What the hell is that!? That's an awful title for any film. Furthermore, one of Malick's next films is going to be called Lawless, adding to the stupidity of the change.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 42
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 15/4/2012 2:40:12 PM   
Deviation

Whoever translated Ballada Triste de Trompeta (literally, A Sad Trumpet Ballad) into something as dull as The Last Circus should get fired. Or worse, Gohatto into Taboo.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/4/2012 2:46:01 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 43
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 16/4/2012 11:19:35 AM   
jobloffski

Has Avengers actually been changed to Avengers Assemble or is it really just a ploy to familiarise average Joe with the phrase Avengers Assemble so that when it is said in the film it wont seem totally cheesy, but a significant moment? With the film still called Avengers in the titles?

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 44
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 16/4/2012 11:37:25 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, or Sorcerer's Stone in America, because they were worried no-one would know what a Philosopher was...

Oh and Madness of King George, or to give it's full title Madness of King George the Third, was changed for the American market, so no-one thought it was a sequel...

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 45
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 16/4/2012 1:36:57 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Has Avengers actually been changed to Avengers Assemble or is it really just a ploy to familiarise average Joe with the phrase Avengers Assemble so that when it is said in the film it wont seem totally cheesy, but a significant moment? With the film still called Avengers in the titles?

It just looks weird when used as a title, it needs an extra word somewhere or at least an exclamation mark. But hey, no one but the media is using this title anyway.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 46
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/4/2012 5:06:20 PM   
samdavies0113

I didnt think anyone could be confused with 'The Avengers' until chaos was caused at work by someone shouting 'why would you want to go see an avengers film.......iron man? he wasnt in the tv show?'

they still havnt been forgiven for this!!!!!!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 47
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/4/2012 5:25:46 PM   
theMoviegoer

Here in Switzerland Niccol's latest, "In Time", was called "Time Out". What the..?! It looses all meaning!

If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'. Bless you all.

(in reply to samdavies0113)
Post #: 48
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/4/2012 6:31:20 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: theMoviegoer

Here in Switzerland Niccol's latest, "In Time", was called "Time Out". What the..?! It looses all meaning!

Should have been "Time Wasted"

(in reply to theMoviegoer)
Post #: 49
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/4/2012 8:24:36 PM   
theMoviegoer

LOL I like that movie... It's not as profound as "Gatacca", but it's still damn good sci-fi!

If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'. Bless you all.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 50
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/4/2012 10:38:34 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I liked it too 

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to theMoviegoer)
Post #: 51
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 27/4/2012 12:40:30 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Avengers Assemble follows that 'people doing things' naming idea. Batman Begins, Superman Returns. I expect to see Hulk Smash, Thor Goes Home (and Away), and Iron Man Parties With Pretty Ladies

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 52
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 27/4/2012 12:43:31 PM   
jcthefirst

I know we've complained about it before, but seeing Marvel Avengers Assemble on screen just looked silly.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 53
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 27/4/2012 1:03:48 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

The Wettest County in the World was changed to The Promised Land then was changed back and shortened to The Wettest County.

The Wettest County titles I'm not a fan of, but they do at least stay the same as the book. However, The Weinstein Company have now changed it it Lawless. What the hell is that!? That's an awful title for any film. Furthermore, one of Malick's next films is going to be called Lawless, adding to the stupidity of the change.

Ugh. Yeah, makes it sound like a Jason Statham film. I was happy enough with The Wettest County or its longer title.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 54
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 27/4/2012 4:39:26 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Willie Mayes Hayes

Avengers Assemble follows that 'people doing things' naming idea. Batman Begins, Superman Returns. I expect to see Hulk Smash, Thor Goes Home (and Away), and Iron Man Parties With Pretty Ladies

Very good

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 55
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 27/4/2012 10:52:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, or Sorcerer's Stone in America, because they were worried no-one would know what a Philosopher was...

Oh and Madness of King George, or to give it's full title Madness of King George the Third, was changed for the American market, so no-one thought it was a sequel...

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 56
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 27/4/2012 10:56:21 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America. What's the point? Just give it one name for god's sake, makes life so much easier.

I heard they were afraid Christians would stay away if Scientists was in the title. That may be complete bullshit though.

I bet its true, the word scientist is worse that paedophile in some states, and not forgetting the film features Charles Darwin as a character who is basically Satan as far as half of America is concerned.

Thats exactly why the changed it. They thought that some 'sensitive' people would see it as the spawn of the devil if it had the word 'scientist' in it!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 57
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 28/4/2012 12:27:54 PM   
spark1

mad mel's latest 'get the gringo' will be called 'how i spent my summer vacation' in the UK.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 58
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 2/5/2012 3:39:34 PM   
AngryDude92

For some reason the new Andrew Dominic film
Coogan's Trade has been given the much sillier title of Killing me softly 

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 59
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 2/5/2012 7:40:23 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

mad mel's latest 'get the gringo' will be called 'how i spent my summer vacation' in the UK.

And we're getting it in cinemas and it went straight to satellite TV in the US. It's supposed to be quite good, too.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI