Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ridiculous Movie Title Changes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Ridiculous Movie Title Changes Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 18/3/2012 10:44:31 PM   
S1lent B0b

*sigh* "Marvel Avengers Assemble" Dear god.
They might as well have called it "Marvel's Avengers Group Together in a Secluded Area to do Various Tasks"
Anyone got any more terrible overseas movie title changes?

Goodbye Everybody, I have left the forum forever.
Post #: 1
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 19/3/2012 12:53:41 AM   
Whistler

Not necessarily ridiculous, but "John Carter Of Mars" was shortened to simply "John Carter" because the studio thought "Of Mars" would put people off...

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America. What's the point? Just give it one name for god's sake, makes life so much easier.

"Avengers Assemble" is definitely the worst, though. I refuse to call it that.

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 2
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 19/3/2012 1:14:17 AM   
Shifty Bench

The movie Teen Agent is called If Looks Could Kill in its native land of America. Teen Agent is a  ridiculous title, sure, but it's the one that actually suits the film better, in my opinion.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 19/3/2012 3:22:19 AM   
King of Kafiristan

THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRE being changed to HUGO still manages to enrage me every time I think about it.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 10:14:42 AM   
spark1

'howard- a new breed of hero'
'the voyage home- star trek IV'

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 5
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 10:21:37 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Not necessarily ridiculous, but "John Carter Of Mars" was shortened to simply "John Carter" because the studio thought "Of Mars" would put people off...

I found it particularly hilarious the amount of emails in Kermodes show saying that they had no idea iit was set on Mars.

quote:

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America.

Both awful titles tbh.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 6
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 10:58:33 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

I found it particularly hilarious the amount of emails in Kermodes show saying that they had no idea iit was set on Mars.

Haha, I know. I honestly don't understand how anyone wouldn't realise it's set on Mars, even without him actually saying the line: "Mars. I'm on Mars."

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 7
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 12:43:22 PM   
spark1

disney's 'mars needs moms' crashed/burned last year hence the change for 'john carter'.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 8
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 1:39:23 PM   
Super Hans

It was recently mentioned in the 'clunky titles' thread, but I believe 'The Order' was renamed to 'The Sin Eater' for the benefit of us UK folk.  Worst title ever!

The Avengers one is pretty bad...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 9
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 2:12:46 PM   
jackcarter

is the Avengers thing due to simply avoiding any potential confusion with the Steed Peel Avengers for UK audiences? or is it some rights issue? - i.e. whoever owns the rights to the steed peel Avengers can only call a movie 'The Avengers' in the UK?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 10
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 20/3/2012 9:52:23 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

is the Avengers thing due to simply avoiding any potential confusion with the Steed Peel Avengers for UK audiences? or is it some rights issue? - i.e. whoever owns the rights to the steed peel Avengers can only call a movie 'The Avengers' in the UK?

Probably a bit of both id say.

My local cinema had BATMAN:THE DARK KNIGHT adevrtised in the foyer instead of simply The Dark Knight which is its proper title.They must have thought wed all be too thick to realise that it was a Batman film.

Die Hard 4.0 should have simply been Die Hard 4.It was at least better sounding than Live Free Or Die Hard.Bet A Good Day To Die Hard will be called Die Hard 5.0 over here!

They called X Men 2 '' X Men United '' over in the states.They reportedly called it just X2 in case the word United made it sound like a football team to us over here.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 11
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 21/3/2012 1:13:40 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

You can't copyright titles - it's purely to avoid confusion with the Steed-Peel TV series.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 12
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 21/3/2012 8:48:12 AM   
DazDaMan

A bit of an obscure one - Hammer's 1958 DRACULA was called HORROR OF DRACULA in the States to avoid confusion with the 1931 original. Horribly clunky title!!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 13
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 22/3/2012 1:10:35 AM   
TolkenHobbitGuy

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Now, i know its in keeping with the style of Beneath, Battle and Conquest but
it doesn't change the fact that is clunky, for me. I can't see what exactly was wrong with Rise of the Apes.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 14
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 22/3/2012 6:00:32 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I dislike the altered Avengers title so much that if the American blu-ray is region free when it comes out, I'll be buying that one.

John Carter is funny since they shortened it because it just makes me think of my favourite character from ER

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to TolkenHobbitGuy)
Post #: 15
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:08:54 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

Probably a bit of both id say.

My local cinema had BATMAN:THE DARK KNIGHT adevrtised in the foyer instead of simply The Dark Knight which is its proper title.They must have thought wed all be too thick to realise that it was a Batman film.

Die Hard 4.0 should have simply been Die Hard 4.It was at least better sounding than Live Free Or Die Hard.Bet A Good Day To Die Hard will be called Die Hard 5.0 over here!

They called X Men 2 '' X Men United '' over in the states.They reportedly called it just X2 in case the word United made it sound like a football team to us over here.

It was called 4.0 because it made it sound computer-y, like the plot. Number five will not be called 5.0 unless it's also computer-y.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 16
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:18:07 PM   
DazDaMan

I quite liked the title LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD. Die Hard 4.0 felt like a cop-out, as if Hollywood thought "people won't get it."

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 17
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:29:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

It's still called Live Free Or Die Hard in the US, though. So, whoever changed it to 4.0 over here may not have been from Hollywood, or indeed American 

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 18
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:32:07 PM   
DazDaMan

Ah, yes, I forgot about that......

As you were!

Post #: 19
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:34:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

Sorry

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 20
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:36:12 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It's still called Live Free Or Die Hard in the US, though. So, whoever changed it to 4.0 over here may not have been from Hollywood, or indeed American 

They changed it internationally because the whole "live free or die" thing is a well known US motto which dates from the colonial era and is used as a bit of a flag waver these days, similar to "don't tread on me". So its 4.0 over here which I prefer personally.

It still doesn't change the fact the film is a massive bowl of shite though.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 21
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:43:45 PM   
filmfanatic123

These aren't changes for region, just outright changes:
X Men Origins: Wolverine was going to be Wolverine, but they changed it for some unknown reason, I prefer the latter by far to be honest.

Captain America: The First Avenger was going to be The First Avenger, but they thought we'd all be to thick to realise it was about the superhero.

This one is interesting: Scream was originally going to be called Scary Movie!

Blade Runner was originally going to be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which is just fucking awful and

Goodfellas was originally going to be Wiseguys. Thank God they changed it.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 22
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 4:48:17 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

Blade Runner was originally going to be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which is just fucking awful

Should I tell him or should someone else?

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 23
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 5:09:13 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Blade Runner was originally going to be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which is just fucking awful

Blade Runner was also going to be called Dangerous Day,Strange Days and ,believe it or not,Gotham City.
Reference:The Future Noir The Making Of Blade Runner by Paul.M.Sammon.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 24
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 5:59:27 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Blade Runner was also going to be called Dangerous Day,Strange Days and ,believe it or not,Gotham City.

Yup there is that but also specifically that Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is the name of the NOVEL ON WHICH IT WAS BASED!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 25
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 6:01:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Yup there is that but also specifically that Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is the name of the NOVEL ON WHICH IT WAS BASED!

No sh/t.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 26
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 23/3/2012 9:40:28 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

They changed it internationally because the whole "live free or die" thing is a well known US motto which dates from the colonial era and is used as a bit of a flag waver these days, similar to "don't tread on me". So its 4.0 over here which I prefer personally.

It still doesn't change the fact the film is a massive bowl of shite though.

Die Hard 4.0 (The Harder cut) is the best in the series since the original.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 27
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/3/2012 6:33:22 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

X2 is the actual title as it's in the opening credits. They put it back on the Ultimate DVD cover later.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 28
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/3/2012 8:10:17 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Captain America: The First Avenger was going to be The First Avenger, but they thought we'd all be to thick to realise it was about the superhero.

No, it's called The First Avenger in some countries because a film called Captain America would appear (perhaps unfairly) somewhat jingoistic and flag-waving.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/soft-pedal-captain-america-overseas-hollywood-says-no/

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 29
RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes - 24/3/2012 8:18:57 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

It was originally meant to be called Princess of Mars wasn't it?

quote:

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America. What's the point? Just give it one name for god's sake, makes life so much easier.

I heard they were afraid Christians would stay away if Scientists was in the title. That may be complete bullshit though.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Ridiculous Movie Title Changes Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI