Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
V for Vendetta - 18/3/2012 5:20:19 AM   
Nikolai Kurbatov

One of my favourite's movies. I have made a trailer for "V for Vendetta":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5vp3WWAzI
Post #: 1
RE: V for Vendetta - 2/9/2012 1:28:44 AM   
max314

Curiously, the script reads better than the film plays. I urge everyone who's interested in the film and/or the graphic novel to track down the Wachowskis' original screenplay. It's well worth the read.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Nikolai Kurbatov)
Post #: 2
RE: V for Vendetta - 2/9/2012 4:29:09 PM   
rich

It's a mediocre adaptation, so much is altered or just lost from the original story.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 3
RE: V for Vendetta - 5/9/2012 2:05:40 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

It's a mediocre adaptation, so much is altered or just lost from the original story.

Deviations from the source material don't detract from the adaptation as a matter of course.

MAX

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 4
RE: V for Vendetta - 5/9/2012 12:55:04 PM   
rich

Well in my opinion they do, and in this case it's badly watered down

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 5
RE: V for Vendetta - 5/9/2012 1:54:03 PM   
UTB

I like the movie. My only gripe is the overuse of the word 'bollocks', which you might recognise from the film as being pronounced "bolllerrrrrrrrkkssss"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 6
RE: V for Vendetta - 5/9/2012 3:20:15 PM   
AxlReznor

I think it's a great movie. The only real deviation from the source material is making the basis be on the politics that were relevant to 2006 instead of the Thatcherite politics the comic was based on. The best move they could have made, in my opinion. The comic worked because people cared about Alan Moore's take of the politics of the 80's taken to the extreme... no one would have cared about a movie made in 2006 in the same way if they didn't update it. Other than a change of setting, the story plays out almost identically to the comic. They cut stuff out, which is understandable considering this was a comic written over a period of years. Most of what was cut out would have made the movie a mess. Note-for-note recreations of comics/books have their place, but in most cases you've got to understand that different things work for different mediums, and what will work in one will not work in another.

The Lord Of The Rings is proof that sometimes the best way to be faithful to the source material is to deviate from it. Not that I'm putting V For Vendetta on the same level as LOTR, obviously, but I think the Wachowski's, McTeigue, Weaving et al did a fantastic job with this movie under the circumstances.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 7
RE: V for Vendetta - 5/9/2012 7:16:28 PM   
evil bill

This film has it's origins in Orwells 1984,and also the Guy Fawke story,mixed in a strange and entertaining way.But for me this is'nt just a film, but it is also a wake up call of which there are not enough in this time we live in,even though it came to life in comic form in the greedy 80's,and then hit the big screen in 2006,it stillhas a strong message.It's about the bullshit that we endure but seldom take notice of because we are ofen distracted by things that do not matter,as we are bombarded by media lies. Most try so hard to be so outwardly different from the rest that they do not realize that in doing this they become just like everyone else,oblivious. to the loss of freedom of mind and speech,in a society controlled by spin doctors.We are brainwashed by our video games, watching reality television,and the facts?? of war on terror that hide a hidden agenda.These are the distractions that keep society from pondering in the wee hours of the night what they can do to prevent true injustice. The evils committed by those that govern us are far worse than any fiction the cinema can dazzle us with these days.

Yes this is a truly great film and one that i will cherish for a long time,and hope that its message finds a wide audience that is open to seeing things from another perspective, in a uniquely human light.In fact films like The Dark Knight have now picked upon this theme,and as expected are criticized by the so called free media,yet stillhit box office gold. In the end V is a film about being human,and being able and willing to recognize the evils of society and take a stand to make things better than they are. The film of course takes this idea to extremes and is based on a comic,which is also visualy stunning,well acted,with an awesome script,and decent direction.It is very entertaining,with a captial E, and with it another Guy Fawkes night on it's way,well i know what i'll be watching.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 8
RE: V for Vendetta - 5/9/2012 11:31:11 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Well in my opinion they do, and in this case it's badly watered down

I don't see much point in a visionless, verbatim remake of the source material.

If a new artist—or group thereof—are to undertake an adaptation of a given work, they'd better have a raison d'ętre, they'd better have something to add. A mindless monkey like Zack Snyder can use the graphic source as a glorified storyboard, but it takes a capacity artist to actually engender something of substance; emphasising the elements they found most provocative, dialing down the elements they found less important, and adding or subtracting entire concepts in accordance with how the artist in question sees the world of the source material through their own particular prism. Then there is the other small matter of different media making different demands. Cinema isn't the same as a graphic novel, nor a prose novel, nor a play. It will, by virtue of its own shape, set the mould in its own unique way.

MAX

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 9
RE: V for Vendetta - 6/9/2012 12:19:07 PM   
AxlReznor

I actually think that Watchmen and V For Vendetta are kind of opposites when it comes to adapting them. In the same way that V For Vendetta adapted in 2006 wouldn't have worked if they hadn't changed points about the source material, Watchmen wouldn't have worked if they'd have changed anything about the plot (other than the ending of course). The Cold War setting is so essential to Watchmen that trying to update it to a post-Cold War era would have made the film fall flat on its face. For that reason, I believe both comics got the adaptation they deserve, with the perfect writers/directors to tackle it. I'd not trust Zack Snyder on V For Vendetta.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 10
RE: V for Vendetta - 6/9/2012 3:51:22 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The weird thing about V for Vendetta is that while I felt they actually did a great job adapting it, it still falls slightly flat. I can't explain it, maybe the best medium for this story is in print.

There's also a couple of unintenionally funny moments, when they enter Stephen Fry's secret room and there's a picture of an arse on the wall to highlight his sexuality, plus in one choice scene we see V with an apron on making eggy bread

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 11
RE: V for Vendetta - 6/9/2012 4:07:43 PM   
AxlReznor

I've always felt the comic was let down by its frankly awful art. A lot of the time it's impossible to tell characters apart, so it makes figuring out who's saying what take longer than actually reading the story.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 12
RE: V for Vendetta - 6/9/2012 4:13:42 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

The weird thing about V for Vendetta is that while I felt they actually did a great job adapting it, it still falls slightly flat. I can't explain it, maybe the best medium for this story is in print.

I agree the film plays rather flat. It's why I recommend reading the Wachowskis' very moving script. Everything that's good about McTeigue's film comes from that script.

MAX

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 13
RE: V for Vendetta - 6/9/2012 4:14:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I've always felt the comic was let down by its frankly awful art. A lot of the time it's impossible to tell characters apart, so it makes figuring out who's saying what take longer than actually reading the story.

I really liked it, it just seemed stark and downbeat with muted colours which all actually added to the overally feeling that you were looking at a story unfolding in a dark repressive regime.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> V for Vendetta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI