Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Boring, watch John Carter instead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Boring, watch John Carter instead Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Boring, watch John Carter instead - 6/4/2012 7:23:23 PM   
velvet

By the way where was the excitement and violence, The Running Man was more exciting

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
RE: Boring, watch John Carter instead - 7/4/2012 12:16:33 AM   
SWOTBM

Pretty meh film.  Definitely not a bad film but I dont see what all the fuss is about tbh.  It just seemed to me like the film was drawing on other sources and was lacking in originality; The Truman Show, Battle Royale, The Running Man etc.  Btw, I haven't read the book and it may have been written before all those films, in which case it would be the other way around, but I'm just speaking from personal viewing experience

I also thought that it teased interesting elements and failed to follow up on them- e.g. the riot after the black girl was killed.  I saw that as Jennifer's character giving hope to them and it would have been more interesting if they had both taken the berries and seen if it gave all the other districts the motivation to wake up to their plight; instead of them going back and playing happy families. 

6/10

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 182
RE: Boring, watch John Carter instead - 7/4/2012 12:16:55 AM   
SWOTBM

EDIT: Double post.  Why does it do that? 

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 7/4/2012 12:17:41 AM >

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 183
Death to shaky cam! - 7/4/2012 7:57:42 AM   
Mulholland Empire

Dear Hollywood will you please learn that shaking a camera around does not make for an exciting action scene.
Sorry Empire but I think you must have been watching a different movie, this was tedious to the extreme. Terrible CGI effects (has no one learnt about mutant dogs since Hulk), no context to the more interesting scenes. What happened with the riots in one of the districts?
The plot twists about two kids surviving and then being switched back to one was so obvious they might as well have flashed it in giant neon across the screen.
The editing and camerawork were just horrible, clipped shots and extreme shaky cam giving you no chance to take anything in. When the other blonde kid showed up at the end I had no idea it was him and not her fellow district member for a few seconds because of the camera spinning about so much.
Will not be watching the sequel as many people have pointed out there are better movies when it comes to dystopian futures and teen survival.

Post #: 184
BAD DIRECTING - 7/4/2012 10:03:03 AM   
shamshad

THE HUNGER GAMES WOULD HAVE BEEN A MUCH BETTER MOVIE IF THE DIRECTOR HAD NOT SHOT IT SO UP CLOSE AND WITH A SHAKEY CAMERA EFFECT.

DIRECTORS WHO SHOOT THEIR MOVIES IN SUCH A WAY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM DIRECTING MOVIES.

THE THE STUDIOS SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON BUILDING SUCH LAVISH SETS AND THEN THE DIRECTORS SPOIL IT BY SHOOTING EVERYTHING UP CLOSE. WHAT A WASTE.

THE WHOLE ENJOYMENT IS LOST. YOU WANT TO SEE WHATS HAPPENING WHERE IT IS HAPPENING THE WHOLE WIDER PICTURE IS LOST.

THE DIRECTOR MIGHT AS WELL HAVE GONE TO A FOREST AND FILMED THE ACTORS FACES AND MADE JERKY MOVEMENTS OF THE CAMERA AND FINISHED HIS MOVIE.

IN SOME PARTS OF THE MOVIE THE CAMERA MOVEMENT WAS SO BAD I WAS NEARLY SICK WITH DIZZYNESS.

WHAT A SHAME. THE SAME THING HAPPENED WITH THE SECOND JAMES BOND MOVIE.

Post #: 185
BAD DIRECTING - 7/4/2012 10:03:03 AM   
shamshad

THE HUNGER GAMES WOULD HAVE BEEN A MUCH BETTER MOVIE IF THE DIRECTOR HAD NOT SHOT IT SO UP CLOSE AND WITH A SHAKEY CAMERA EFFECT.

DIRECTORS WHO SHOOT THEIR MOVIES IN SUCH A WAY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM DIRECTING MOVIES.

THE THE STUDIOS SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON BUILDING SUCH LAVISH SETS AND THEN THE DIRECTORS SPOIL IT BY SHOOTING EVERYTHING UP CLOSE. WHAT A WASTE.

THE WHOLE ENJOYMENT IS LOST. YOU WANT TO SEE WHATS HAPPENING WHERE IT IS HAPPENING THE WHOLE WIDER PICTURE IS LOST.

THE DIRECTOR MIGHT AS WELL HAVE GONE TO A FOREST AND FILMED THE ACTORS FACES AND MADE JERKY MOVEMENTS OF THE CAMERA AND FINISHED HIS MOVIE.

IN SOME PARTS OF THE MOVIE THE CAMERA MOVEMENT WAS SO BAD I WAS NEARLY SICK WITH DIZZYNESS.

Post #: 186
Definition of cynical - 7/4/2012 10:36:26 AM   
BatSpider

Definition of cynical: when the concept of kids (or anyone) killing each other on a game show doesn't show the obvious consequences, so as to make it palatable for a mass audience.
If The Hunger Games was meant to be a parody, such as The Running Man, then inoffensive cartoon violence would be fine. The fact it takes itself self-importantly, means it's not fine.
Definition of stupid: not being able to understand the difference.

Post #: 187
RE: Definition of cynical - 7/4/2012 1:39:11 PM   
S. C. Lee

It makes more sense than some of the comments.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 188
RE: BAD DIRECTING - 7/4/2012 1:48:33 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: shamshad

Yeah, I thought the camera was just all over the place in Goldfinger.

(in reply to shamshad)
Post #: 189
RE: Definition of cynical - 7/4/2012 3:32:13 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Definition of cynical: when the concept of kids (or anyone) killing each other on a game show doesn't show the obvious consequences, so as to make it palatable for a mass audience.
If The Hunger Games was meant to be a parody, such as The Running Man, then inoffensive cartoon violence would be fine. The fact it takes itself self-importantly, means it's not fine.
Definition of stupid: not being able to understand the difference.

Pretty much this.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 190
RE: The Hunger Games - 7/4/2012 4:25:46 PM   
MonsterCat

The idea that a film cannot effectively convey the consequences of murder without resorting to graphic on-screen violence is absolutely baffling to me. But hey, to each their own.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 7/4/2012 4:27:38 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 191
RE: The Hunger Games - 7/4/2012 5:19:48 PM   
21stCenturyCat

Questions...

After a bit of development why kill off one of the main 'tributes' off camera?

There was an almost throwaway line that suggested the citizens of the districts could trade and it would change their odds of being entered into The Hunger Games. So was it called the Hunger Games because they could trade for food? (did I miss this being explained?)

What was the point of Liam Hemsworth? Assuming he will feature more prominently in the sequels.

What was the point of hiring Tobey Jones and then giving him 1 line? Maybe he has the same agent that got Danny Huston the Clash Of The Titans gig?

Why introduce the idea of 'sponsors' being able to help the teenagers and then do bog all with it?

2 hours and 20 minutes? With that running time you'd have thought there would have been time to fully explore/expand on everything I have just mentioned.

My full review is on my fan website. Cheers.

Edit - reviews go on this site, please. Advertising personal sites in posts like this isn't allowed on Empire.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/4/2012 11:05:08 PM >

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=21stCenturyCat

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 192
Great Film!! - 7/4/2012 6:57:43 PM   
Ramone87

A chilling study on totalitariasm and popular entertainment gone mad. This great adaption of Suzanne Collins first book of her great trilogy starts in a fictionalised North America now Panam where the rich rule the poor and pick out of a lottery youngsters to fight to the death in a giant synthetic forest where they are nothing more than guinea pigs to be toyed with. Although we have seen this many times , in the Running man to Battle Royale this movie hold's it's own in this particular genre.

The drama ensues well, we get learn allot about the many different contestants as they are trained and showed the ropes and ways in which to survive in this brutal arena. What's greatly observed in this film is the loss of innocense. Once our combatants are plucked from thier dreary Districts we are introduced to the wealthy Capitol world. Here we find people in thier most overindulgent state, be it in thier vanity and bizzare clothes and facial hair to the 'Rome' style grandeur of thier living.

Our leads play strong roles, particularly Jennifer Lawrence as herion Katniss Everdeen, turning from introspective teen to strong willed survivor, to Woody Harrelsons sympathetic tutor who guides her through the nightmare forest as best he can. sending gifts and warnings. Voilence in the movie is portrayed in an unflinching unglamorised state, which perfectly fits the drama and setting.

A good and satisfying and at time's uncomfortable experience!!

Go see it!

Post #: 193
RE: Great Film!! - 9/4/2012 10:19:09 PM   
vicandbob

Was so boring.. Not interest in any characters except Jennifer Lawrence. Were we meant to feel something when the young black girl died? If so shouldn't she have been on screen for more than 5 minutes? Shakey cam shite.

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 194
RE: Umm, not great, bit boring - 9/4/2012 10:46:53 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: velvet

Shame on you Empire giving this 4 stars, u should b giving 4 stars to John Carter, that was a great movie wit great story and fun and excitement,

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 195
RE: Great Film!! - 9/4/2012 11:41:30 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicandbob

Was so boring.. Not interest in any characters except Jennifer Lawrence. Were we meant to feel something when the young black girl died? If so shouldn't she have been on screen for more than 5 minutes? Shakey cam shite.

Are you human? I was almost crying - my friend was. For all intents and purposes she was Prim, Katniss's baby sister. She couldn't save her, it could have been Prim.

(in reply to vicandbob)
Post #: 196
RE: Definition of cynical - 12/4/2012 10:15:18 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Wait, what?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 197
RE: The Hunger Games - 12/4/2012 11:08:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: 21stCenturyCat

Questions...

After a bit of development why kill off one of the main 'tributes' off camera?

There was an almost throwaway line that suggested the citizens of the districts could trade and it would change their odds of being entered into The Hunger Games. So was it called the Hunger Games because they could trade for food? (did I miss this being explained?)

What was the point of Liam Hemsworth? Assuming he will feature more prominently in the sequels.

What was the point of hiring Tobey Jones and then giving him 1 line? Maybe he has the same agent that got Danny Huston the Clash Of The Titans gig?

Why introduce the idea of 'sponsors' being able to help the teenagers and then do bog all with it?

I think a lot of it was down to a problematic adaptation from the source, forgetting not all viewers would read the books (I'd certainly recommend not, although they clearly have fans). The odds thing, e.g. - you could end up with your name multiple times in the draw in exchange for food/fuel etc. So rich people only have one chance of being pulled out the hat each year, but the poor would see their changes geometrically increase each year.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to 21stCenturyCat)
Post #: 198
RE: Great Film!! - 12/4/2012 11:20:33 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

quote:

Are you human? I was almost crying - my friend was. For all intents and purposes she was Prim, Katniss's baby sister. She couldn't save her, it could have been Prim.

Meh, I didn't feel much when she got killed. The connection between them wasn't really sold well.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 199
RE: The Hunger Games - 12/4/2012 11:21:35 PM   
Deviation

I thought the help Katniss and Peeta were getting came from the sponsors.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 200
RE: Great Film!! - 12/4/2012 11:23:21 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

Meh, I didn't feel much when she got killed. The connection between them wasn't really sold well.

Dunno, I was saddened and not just because of the connection between them.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 201
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 12:12:34 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

I too felt nothing when the kid died. I've heard the same complaint raised by a number of hardcore fans of the books too, claiming it was terribly mishandled.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 202
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 12:19:14 AM   
elab49

The film seems to be getting slapped a lot for that - from genuine decent fans of the book unhappy with the adaptation, as well as that really scary racist minority where some amazingly stupid people had changed Rue's skin colour in their head and don't understand why they are being asked to empathise with the death of a black girl, because that's just ruined 'Rue' and the film for them. Ignoring all descriptions in the book (and she is quite clearly described) they had some pure innocent snow white princess in their fucked up little heads.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 203
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 12:50:20 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was so boring Were we meant to feel something when the young black girl died? If so shouldn't she have been on screen for more than 5 minutes? Shakey cam shite.

Meh, I didn't feel much when she got killed.
The connection between them wasn't really sold well.

Same here, it didn't help that by this point in the film I was struggling to keep my eyes open.

And as I haven't read the books (and have no intention to), I am completely ignorant of the supposed racist criticism from the fanboys. Are all the kids in the book supposed to be white or what?

EDIT: Cracked have posted a spoof script from The-Editing-Room.com.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19810_if-hunger-games-was-10-times-shorter-100-percent-honest.html

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 13/4/2012 1:00:40 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 204
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 1:13:47 AM   
S. C. Lee

Edited.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 26/8/2012 2:07:33 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 205
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 1:19:29 AM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

I too felt nothing when the kid died. I've heard the same complaint raised by a number of hardcore fans of the books too, claiming it was terribly mishandled.

I thought it was one of the stand out moments of the film. There were many faults with the script (in getting parts of the book across), but I didn't feel this was one of them.

But each to their own.

Post #: 206
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 1:36:40 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

The film seems to be getting slapped a lot for that - from genuine decent fans of the book unhappy with the adaptation, as well as that really scary racist minority where some amazingly stupid people had changed Rue's skin colour in their head and don't understand why they are being asked to empathise with the death of a black girl, because that's just ruined 'Rue' and the film for them. Ignoring all descriptions in the book (and she is quite clearly described) they had some pure innocent snow white princess in their fucked up little heads.

Yeah, and just to reiterate, the two people that have voiced issue with that scene that I know personally didn't mention anything to do with race or anything. From a semi-objective standpoint, approaching the scene as someone unfamiliar with the source material but with an understanding of how film ought to work, my issues stem from the whole emotional handle of the film. In short I don't think there was one. For a film about a competition as harsh sounding as the one at the centre of the Hunger Games I thought there was very little in the way of any element of danger to the film too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 207
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 1:59:07 AM   
Deviation

I couldn't care less about the book, I haven't read it and I didn't know what it was meant to properly be until I saw it and I still found that scene effective.

I have to disagree about the whole danger level as well, I thought it was incredible, less because the danger was apparent all the time (Katniss was doing her best to avoid it) but because it had the potential to appear anytime. True, real danger appearing in sporadic moments worked for me, it did feel unpredictable and shocking.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 208
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 2:03:30 AM   
S. C. Lee

From wiki.

The film holds an 85 percent "Certified Fresh" rating and an average score of 7.2 out of 10. The film earned an 80 percent score from "Top Critics". The site's consensus reads "[t]hrilling and superbly acted, The Hunger Games captures the dramatic violence, raw emotion, and ambitious scope of its source novel.

You're in the minority Adam.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 209
RE: Great Film!! - 13/4/2012 2:14:32 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

You're in the minority Adam.

And? I can live with that. I don't see why that should stop me from engaging in serious discussion explaining what it was that I didn't like about the film. Throwing out the RT consensus like it's some kind of holy word is hardly engaging debate. It also comes across as kind of patronising, especially when provided in the face of an actual retort.

For what its worth I didn't hate the film. I reviewed it positively upon release, but had a number of issues, both of which have been outlined earlier in this thread with complete explanation. I don't use a star rating system in my reviews, and had I while it might not have been as high as the "consensus" of 7.2 out of 10 I don't think it would have been far off.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 13/4/2012 2:19:31 AM >

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Boring, watch John Carter instead Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI