Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hello!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Hello! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hello! - 29/3/2012 9:26:59 AM   
elab49

O/T - not really sure what you mean by 'apply for'?

AVs - Empire don't host them. Find a pic you like, upload to a free service like Photobucket, paste URL into the box you'll find in the My Registration Details tab (accessed via the top left hand side of the page, My Profile). Unless you mean the 'click to choose' button isn't working? If that's not saving for any reason then please update the Bugs and Glitches thread in the Empire Online subforum.

Sig - similarly, the My Registration Details page has a box where you just type in your signature. Again, if not saving use the thread above.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 151
RE: A fucking teen book? - 29/3/2012 11:28:52 AM   
yazoo88

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Not meaning to but in but I will anyway, I don't find Gremlins believable but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the film. How is this even being talked about seriously? It's fiction.

Finally someone with sense points out that this is fiction!! I don't always care if something is believeable, if every film was made to be completely realistic most films would be completely boring.

I'm aware that Hunger Games doesn't intend on being a complete fantasy in the realms of Harry Potter etc and is supposed to be semi-believeable as a reality (hence the background story of how our world became like this) yet I can still forgive it for being slightly unbelievable in the sense that it is highly unlikely that the western culture which focuses so much on human rights these days would allow such a system.

BUT I feel the main focus of the story is to create a dystopic world which is believable to a point where you can relate with the characters and imagine it is you there in that horrific circumstance, which I feel it achieved. I don't think it necessarily aimed to create a situation which people actually believe could happen in reality! I certainly didnt believe it could happen in real life, yet still enjoyed the film all the same...

< Message edited by yazoo88 -- 29/3/2012 11:30:28 AM >

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 152
RE: A fucking teen book? - 29/3/2012 2:47:44 PM   
nhassell

Saw this yesterday. No idea what all the fuss is about. It was alright, but nothing more than that. The action was terrible, and it was very predictable (I have never read the book).

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to yazoo88)
Post #: 153
The Hunger Games Review - 30/3/2012 10:18:53 PM   
the film man

Thrilling and superbly acted, The Hunger Games captures the dramatic violence, raw emotion, and ambitious scope of its source novel.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 154
Hunger - 31/3/2012 7:13:49 PM   
HERMES_67

A triumph of marketing over story. Disappointing at best.

Post #: 155
same its not a 15 - 1/4/2012 5:15:40 AM   
chrisharvey1551

have recently been to see this and admit that all though i can away happy with what i had seen apart of me wished there was a bit more goar shown rather that just being told about it. still i will be buying the dvd when its out and would recommend to others

Post #: 156
RE: same its not a 15 - 1/4/2012 2:50:38 PM   
Proudfoot

Starts out real well, builds an interesting science fiction world and creates real dread which works well against the colorful, ridiculous opulence, but sadly it peaks right when the games begin and sort of peters out after that.

Still, fairly entertaining and Lawrence was excellent.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to chrisharvey1551)
Post #: 157
RE: same its not a 15 - 1/4/2012 2:50:45 PM   
Proudfoot

Starts out real well, builds an interesting science fiction world and creates real dread which works well against the colorful, ridiculous opulence, but sadly it peaks right when the games begin and sort of peters out after that.

Still, fairly entertaining and Lawrence was excellent.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to chrisharvey1551)
Post #: 158
RE: same its not a 15 - 2/4/2012 4:06:29 PM   
Woger

The wife read the books so I said I'd go see it with her. I enjoyed it much more than I thought, nothing earth shattering in the originality department (and I haven't seen Battle Royale so can't compare) but a good two hours of entertainment. As for the violence I thought some of it was pretty dark, especially the first free for all.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 159
RE: same its not a 15 - 2/4/2012 4:06:34 PM   
Woger

The wife read the books so I said I'd go see it with her. I enjoyed it much more than I thought, nothing earth shattering in the originality department (and I haven't seen Battle Royale so can't compare) but a good two hours of entertainment. As for the violence I thought some of it was pretty dark, especially the first free for all.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 160
RE: same its not a 15 - 2/4/2012 4:34:45 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Contrary to some media hyperbole, it is certainly not the best science fiction film since The Matrix (I would argue that there have been better fare since the Wachowski’s first anyway), but to dismiss The Hunger Games as Battle Royale-lite would still be doing it a massive disservice - as it's a film more about the ills of disposable celebrity culture than children forced to massacre one another . The design of the nightmarish Vivian Westwood-like future might not fully convince, but thanks to Jennifer Lawrence the predicament of Katniss Everdeen absolutely does - carrying the film wonderfully on her relatively young shoulders and ensuring that a new and successful teenage franchise is born. Hugely entertaining despite its running time, immensely unsettling despite its aimed demographic and already I’m looking forward immeasurably to Catching Fire. The best mainstream film of 2012 so far.

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 161
Awful Nonsense - 2/4/2012 6:00:29 PM   
bnicholson50

Terrible movie full of bad fx, poor character development, cliches, plot holes, mounds of exposition, overt sentamentalism and narative gaps. It beggars belief that this movie could be so well recieved.

Post #: 162
RE: Awful Nonsense - 2/4/2012 11:05:31 PM   
musht

I haven't read the books so I went into this not being familiar with the material. Easy concept to get a hold of.

I think for the time they had they did a good job, however like so many of this books it probably would've been better as a TV series. Characters like Hamwich needed more character development, and the relationship between Katniss and Peta was hard to buy into. The end was a tad anti-climactic. I'm interested to see how the sequels pan out, I might read the books in the meantime

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to bnicholson50)
Post #: 163
Hmmmmmmmm. - 3/4/2012 11:02:03 PM   
antosh25

The beggining was totally rushed and i didn't like the way the movie was shot.
But after half an hour it picks up and makes more sense and gets more entertaining.

Post #: 164
Hmmmmmmmm. - 3/4/2012 11:04:53 PM   
antosh25

The beggining was totaly rushed and the film mainly wanted to focus on the middle and end point of the film.
But after half an hour it picks up and gets more entertaining.

Post #: 165
RE: Awful Nonsense - 3/4/2012 11:07:30 PM   
antosh25

Loool ! I like you ! your harsh.

(in reply to bnicholson50)
Post #: 166
RE: Hmmmmmmmm. - 3/4/2012 11:18:28 PM   
Super Hans

I just got back from watching this and having read the books recently and becoming a bit of a fan, I wasn't disappointed! A very well made film and an effective adaption of the novel. One of the best compliments I can offer is that I was well gripped throughout, even though I knew all that was coming. It was well acted all round, particularly by Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson. Lawrence especially, I've never seen her in anything before but she was fantastic here - bright career ahead I think.

On the hot topic of the violence, I don't think anyone could argue that it skimped too much. I couldn't help thinking the initial Cornucopia scene was maybe a little too subdued after the trimming down. I know they will have done what they had to do and while it still left you under no illusions of the bloodbath going on, maybe a bit more use of sound effects could have given the sequence a bit more oomph.

In agreement with Empire's (I think) review, I like the addition of more of a 'behind the scenes' side to the film once they entered the arena - rounded it out nicely.

Overall a very good action/sci-fi blockbuster, with more brains and heart than a lot of the ones we get. I'm glad it's doing well financially, as I'm looking forward to the rest of the adaptions now!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to antosh25)
Post #: 167
Really good - 4/4/2012 5:42:37 PM   
Coyleone

I thought it was great. I haven't read the books, but I really liked it, I do feel a higher rating would have had it's benefits in some scenes though. I really liked the world the film was set in, and the crazy characters and costumes etc worked well and Lawrence was great in her role. I thought the end was slightly anti climatic but it was still really good. Probably movie of the year so far.

Post #: 168
- 5/4/2012 12:10:45 AM   
tommyinglis

Really liked it. Honestly thought it was going to be bad, after I adored the books, but really did like it. Almost perfect, if just a little more Gale

Post #: 169
RE: So-so - 5/4/2012 1:16:55 AM   
Spaldron

It was quite underwhelming if I'm honest, starts of well with a fairly decent first hour or so with some ok character development, if a bit boring. Then after what feels like ages we finally get to the actual games and the film more or less falls flat. Like someone mentioned above, the action is fucking awful, some of the worst I've seen in a big budget film. The overuse of the shakycam throughout the film and including the action scenes really gets irritating, especially when you cant see what the hell is happening.

The main issue is that for at least 90% of the actual games we're forced to sit through a ton of moping and crying before we get to the 10% of fighting and action we'd been promised all along. The film could've done with being at least 40 minutes shorter and maybe having more interesting characters to root for. Not all of it was bad, Woody Harrelson was great as always and the scene with the land mines worked. However the films climactic sequence with the shite CGI monsters was terrible, topped off with another badly directed and choreographed fight scene.

If you're 15 or under you'll probably think this is the bees knees, for everyone else if you want a good film about kids killing each other then either watch Lord of the Flies or the superb Battle Royale. Disappointing considering the positive reviews.

2.5/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to tommyinglis)
Post #: 170
RE: So-so - 5/4/2012 3:25:33 PM   
S. C. Lee

Edited.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 26/8/2012 2:06:27 AM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 171
Worst crime? It's boring - 5/4/2012 4:32:57 PM   
lelandmeeks

What's to be said? Oh dear. This was completely boring, especially the first half of the film. Did we care about the characters? No. 4 stars!? Are you kidding? Laughable.

Post #: 172
RE: Worst crime? It's boring - 6/4/2012 12:32:53 AM   
film man aidy

Wasn't a bad night at the flicks. ***...just. Personally, I felt some of the scenes, particularly in the second half were a little long. In fact, given the film's relatively lightweight story, the runtime was a tad excessive. Didn't rate the CGI dogs or whatever they were. They looked like Phantom Menace leftovers....
The tone and  overall themes certainly worked for me, but (and it's a big but) it's the first time in recent memory that I think the BBFC have got it wrong with the certificate. Although much of the violence was only implied, teenagers butchering each other with an assortment of fancy daggers and spears didn't sit that well with me. Whilst I appreciate that this is the source material, I think this should have been a 15. Maybe the deluge of knife crime in the media has made me slightly more sensitive to it these days. I'm no prude, and found a recent showing of 'The Cabin in the Woods'(which absolutely wallows in the gore factor), to be great fun, it just seemed a tad odd to me that 12 year olds up and down the country can see this...

(in reply to lelandmeeks)
Post #: 173
RE: Worst crime? It's boring - 6/4/2012 1:39:25 AM   
Spaldron

To address the BBFC cuts in the violence I have to say I thought the film was extremely tame to say the least. The Bourne movies had way worse violence than this and they were 12A's as well so what gives?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 174
RE: The Hunger Games - 6/4/2012 10:48:37 AM   
Biggus

Battle Royale, The Running Man, Lord of the Flies, The Truman Show. There was quite a lot of familiarity to the whole thing. The problem I found with the film is that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. As a dystopian view of the future it wasn't really that interesting of shocking (which is remarkable considering it deals with subjects such as children killing each other), as a satire on modren-day society's unhealthy obsession for 'reality TV' and the desensitisation of violence it wasn't nearly biting or shocking enough and as an action/survival drama I thought the sequences badly handled and uninteresting. In short I thought it was pretty dull. Not terrible, just dull.

Other than the whole central premise of the games themselves, there seemed to be barely any story driving the film along. I would liked to have seen more time invested in Katniss and her family situation at the beginning of the film so as to give her something to fight for and return to but this section was hurried along and therefore it was hard to really get behind her and root for her to survive. This would have been preferable to alI the induction/training sequences and talk of "winning over sponsors" which didn't seem to amount to anything in the end. I didn't buy the Peeta character's crush on Katniss either. There were a few milliseconds of flashbacks to him dishing out some bread which didn't really explain anything at all and it felt like there were probably a few cuts made to these scenes which would have made his feelings more convincing. The same goes for the Gale character who seems to gawp at her when she's on screen in a way that suggest he has some kind of feelings for her too but again this is not expanded on. I get the feeling that these points are probably a bigger feature in the books.

On the plus side Jennifer Lawrence is excellent in the lead role and I would have struggled even more had it been a lesser actress. But as great as Woody Harrelson is, I thought he was miscast in his role and seemed very much out of place.

And when are film-makers going to realise that CGI dogs always look crap! No matter how much you spend or how good the technology is, they alway look rubbish. Especially ones which can magically appear through the push of a button...

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/
Post #: 175
RE: Worst crime? It's boring - 6/4/2012 11:55:48 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

To address the BBFC cuts in the violence I have to say I thought the film was extremely tame to say the least. The Bourne movies had way worse violence than this and they were 12A's as well so what gives?

Well, technically the BBFC didn't cut anything, they only suggested them.

And it was blood that was digitally removed rather than actual violence. Blood was removed from weapons and blood spray was lessened

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 176
RE: Worst crime? It's boring - 6/4/2012 12:21:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

I really don't understand the whole "it's not violent enough" argument. Surely the ideas behind the violence are more important than being presented with a needless display of blood & guts spilling all over the place? (something which I think it does pretty well)

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 177
RE: Worst crime? It's boring - 6/4/2012 12:54:34 PM   
superdan

Aren't people saying 'It's not violent enough' kind of proving one of the more obvious points the film is making?

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 178
RE: Great film. - 6/4/2012 1:40:12 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Aren't people saying 'It's not violent enough' kind of proving one of the more obvious points the film is making?

Exactly! The film is about trying to survive, it isn't about watching a bunch of kids gut each other, it isn't a horror film.

In the book, most of the deaths aren't described. We only know they happened because of the cannons sounding in the sky.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 6/4/2012 1:41:36 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 179
Umm, not great, bit boring - 6/4/2012 7:21:13 PM   
velvet

Im not a fan of the books as iv never read them but i saw the trailer and thought it looked good, how wrong was I.
Shame on you Empire giving this 4 stars, u should b giving 4 stars to John Carter, that was a great movie wit great story and fun and excitement,
Hunger Games is not exciting. It starts off well showing Jennifer Lawerences hard life and the poor area where she lives and when she volunteers for the games, u feel her anguish and fear as to what will happen to her. The next hour drags a bit where you see the training which shouldv been more intense, remember they are supposed to be trained to kill. But when we get to the part where they enter the forest, you think goody, we are gona get some action. Nope we wont.
For the next hour and nearly a half, our herione is stuck up a tree, afraid, hiding from the group that remains. She finally getsa bow and arrow and does nothing, The movie drags too much with hand held cameras and at first it works becasue she is scared and we are concerned for her but nothing happens, no action scene or exciting scene, she hids , she is scared, the only real good action scene is at the end with the dogs who look like they came from the Hulk movie, thats it. The romance drags out and if u wanted to really excite the audience you would have a fight between our girl and the boy who loves her.
Its hard to believe this made so much money, there are much better movies out there and at 155mins, its way too long, drags too much

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Hello! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI