Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A fucking teen book?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A fucking teen book? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 4:45:49 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

But it's set in a different time! It's not NOW. I haven't read the other books - no, I'm about to start Catching Fire tonight.

Did you like the books then? Or did you hate the first book as much as the film? It seems a little odd that you'd read the next two if you disliked HG's so much.

I haven't read the books, but I know the stories (my friend has read them and filled me in. He was also disappointed in the film.).

So you're saying that in ten, twenty or thirty years time the wealthiest part of America will become a nation of twisted psychopaths who derive entertainment from little children being slaughtered and everyone goes along with it? You find that remotely believable?

Not meaning to but in but I will anyway, I don't find Gremlins believable but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the film. How is this even being talked about seriously? It's fiction.

Yes but there's only a certain point you can suspend your disbelief to. Gremlins is in a way almost believable because we haven't discovered every single species living on this planet. Every day Scientists find new ones. Just sayin.

Ok perhaps if the film was better I would have been able to suspend my disbelief further. Like with Battle Royale.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 121
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 4:47:49 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

But it's set in a different time! It's not NOW. I haven't read the other books - no, I'm about to start Catching Fire tonight.

Did you like the books then? Or did you hate the first book as much as the film? It seems a little odd that you'd read the next two if you disliked HG's so much.

I haven't read the books, but I know the stories (my friend has read them and filled me in. He was also disappointed in the film.).

So you're saying that in ten, twenty or thirty years time the wealthiest part of America will become a nation of twisted psychopaths who derive entertainment from little children being slaughtered and everyone goes along with it? You find that remotely believable?

What's this in ten, twenty, thirty years time... how about a thousand years? Yes, it could happen, circumstances might change, we could be taken back to a time that's not so different from the Roman republic (for example.) In other countries people are being slaughtered all the time in the name of religion, they're starving - now.

People can be horrible... you're looking at it through modern western eyes and that's the problem.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 122
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 4:48:36 PM   
S. C. Lee

Edited.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 26/8/2012 2:05:00 AM >

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 123
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 4:48:43 PM   
S. C. Lee

Edited

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 26/8/2012 2:04:45 AM >

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 124
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 4:55:35 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

Ok, I'm gonna stop posting - for a while because the 500 error is only effecting this thread for some reason.

Just ignore it, when it comes up it means your post has still posted. Just don't refresh or anything and close the page after posting.

You raise a fair point about the Roman times and such with Gladiators and Slaves etc, but it's harder to believe nowadays because we had advanced even just slightly more than then.

I think I just personally have a problem believing such a civilised world would enjoy it so much. Perhaps because it's children, and that's why. If they were adults, such as in The Running Man, then I could probably believe it a lot more. I think that's all it's coming down to with me, I can't believe people would enjoy watching children murdered.

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 125
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 4:58:26 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I see your point but I just don't look at it that way. It's just a film. A well made one too IMO. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 126
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 5:03:11 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

Ok, I'm gonna stop posting - for a while because the 500 error is only effecting this thread for some reason.

I can't believe people would enjoy watching children murdered.

I can't either and that's the point. And Bozz, films and books aren't open to debate? Lots of less interesting, not to mention sillier subjects have been discussed on this board. I'm not having a go at you, just saying. Glad you enjoyed the film

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 26/3/2012 5:07:23 PM >

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 127
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 5:49:38 PM   
The REAL Bozz

That's the last time I try and back you up

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 128
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 6:19:00 PM   
Deviation

quote:

To be fair, all you did there was explain what was told to you. You haven't explained why or even how anyone allows this to go on, or why they came up with the thought "You know what would be a great idea, let's have some little kids butcher each other for live television!".
Upon seeing their own children murdered, the parents and other parents would rise up in such anger. They would have something to fight for and that would be the safety of their own kids. There's no way they would allow such a government to take their children and gleefully make them fight to the death.

Either that or everyone in this world is a raving sociopath.

quote:

You'll loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Battle Royale and its sequel.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 26/3/2012 6:29:37 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 129
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 6:21:54 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

That's the last time I try and back you up

Awe, can't we all just get along

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 130
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 9:11:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

The HUGE box office success of this (And other Teen baiting adaptaions like Twilight) actually scares the hell out of me.It may convince studios to just make this kind of stuff and nothing else.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 131
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 9:16:42 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, screw all this appealing to teen nonsense.

What we want is something mature like Star Wars or Expendables.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 132
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 9:18:39 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Star Wars and Expendables are not aimed at teenage girls.Although im sure there are a few out there who do like said franchises.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 26/3/2012 9:19:19 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 133
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 9:19:37 PM   
matty_b

That's not my point.

EDIT - and films aimed at teenage boys are OK, but ones at teenage girls aren't? Oh, OK then.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 26/3/2012 9:28:31 PM >

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 134
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 10:08:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

The HUGE box office success of this (And other Teen baiting adaptaions like Twilight) actually scares the hell out of me.It may convince studios to just make this kind of stuff and nothing else.

Oh so you have seen it? Well lets hear your review.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 135
RE: The Hunger Games - 26/3/2012 10:30:11 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

What, more films with smart, strong and kick-ass female characters? Doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing to me. *

But I wouldn't worry, Mr. Breezy: I'm sure there's still room for films like The Expendables 2: Electric Boogaloo

*I'm just going from read in the book. Hopefully I'll get to see the flick at some point. It looks cool.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 136
- 26/3/2012 10:37:57 PM   
TheGodfather

Seen together with my girlfriend in cinema tonight:

The Hunger Games
The principle behind the story is promising but when it finished I had the idea that the full potential of the story wasn`t used. It looks like (I haven`t read the books) the story wasn`t completely worked out and it wasn`t dark enough for this cinema version.
What is left over is an enjoyable film that is somewhat inconsistent.
And Jennifer Lawrence again shows that she`s a great acting talent.

6,5/10

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 137
RE: A fucking teen book? - 26/3/2012 11:59:24 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Star Wars and Expendables are not aimed at teenage girls.Although im sure there are a few out there who do like said franchises.

Yeah, because the Hunger Games is only aimed at teenage girls, which is why the box office receipts were so HUGE

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 27/3/2012 12:00:14 AM >

Post #: 138
RE: A fucking teen book? - 27/3/2012 4:21:53 PM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

To be fair, all you did there was explain what was told to you. You haven't explained why or even how anyone allows this to go on, or why they came up with the thought "You know what would be a great idea, let's have some little kids butcher each other for live television!".
Upon seeing their own children murdered, the parents and other parents would rise up in such anger. They would have something to fight for and that would be the safety of their own kids. There's no way they would allow such a government to take their children and gleefully make them fight to the death.

Either that or everyone in this world is a raving sociopath.

quote:

You'll loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Battle Royale and its sequel.

I actually really enjoyed Battle Royale. Like I said I think that's the difference, if I'm really enjoying a film I'll suspend my disbelief more.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 139
RE: The Hunger Games - 28/3/2012 1:16:42 PM   
jcthefirst

I thought the whole film was surprisingly, and pleasantly, low key. However, while playing this card, it makes it hard to get excited by much in the whole thing.

Having read the book some of the scenes felt a little rushed (the whole Rue bit for instance), but overall an enjoyable franchise starter that builds it's world quickly and effiiciently without treating the audience like idiots.

3 and a half stars

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog
Post #: 140
RE: The Hunger Games - 28/3/2012 4:33:03 PM   
S. C. Lee

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/28/hunger-games-12a-classification-concerned-parents

The Daily Mail has complained that the film's subject matter is too violent for a 12A. Here we go again.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 29/3/2012 12:04:15 AM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 141
Hello! - 28/3/2012 10:59:23 PM   
BatSpider

I agree with Kayotic - cheers bruv! Most of this lot don't understand the main point. They want to munch their overpriced popcorn and Fanta and then head for the exit with their brain cell still in neutral. Sorry tools, but the concept of kids killing kids while a world of adults looks on needs to be more challenging or don't create the concept at all. People need to understand cause and consequence. If the adults in the story need to look at themselves, then so do the people shelling out to the book and movie for the purpose of nothing other than 'entertainment'.

BTW, would it be hypocritical to admit part of my beef with The Hunger Games is that Jennifer Lawrence should never have been Mystique in First Class? I mean, seriously - she's suppose to grow up to look like Rebecca Romijn Stamos?

Post #: 142
Hello! - 28/3/2012 10:59:28 PM   
BatSpider

I agree with Kayotic - cheers bruv! Most of this lot don't understand the main point. They want to munch their overpriced popcorn and Fanta and then head for the exit with their brain cell still in neutral. Sorry tools, but the concept of kids killing kids while a world of adults looks on needs to be more challenging or don't create the concept at all. People need to understand cause and consequence. If the adults in the story need to look at themselves, then so do the people shelling out to the book and movie for the purpose of nothing other than 'entertainment'.

BTW, would it be hypocritical to admit part of my beef with The Hunger Games is that Jennifer Lawrence should never have been Mystique in First Class? I mean, seriously - she's suppose to grow up to look like Rebecca Romijn Stamos?

Post #: 143
RE: The Hunger Games - 28/3/2012 11:17:08 PM   
Stillwater

Couple of things

- Just because a film is based on a book aimed at a certain market (young adults) doesn't mean it is automatically going to be rubbish. The Hobbit is a children's book, I wonder how many people are going to complain that it is bound to be rubbish because of that?
- Some people clearly are a) not watching the film properly and b) need every detail explained to them. What is the purpose of the Hunger Games? It's explained in the opening two second before anything else occurs on screen and is then developed later on. Why are the sponsers important? Haymitch deliver a speech about why exactly they are important. What does the hand signal mean? It's a sign of respect. Do you really need someone to explain that out loud on screen before you get it?

I went to see this tonight and I enjoyed it. I thought there were a couple of things which were amiss having read the books. Effie certainly lacks any real character development or purpose in the film. I too wondered why they didn't just set the tree Katniss climbed up on fire when seeing it in the film, though that never occurred to me when reading the book. I liked the addition of seeing behind the scenes. I also thought how Seneca Cranes story went packed quite a punch at the end.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 144
RE: The Hunger Games - 28/3/2012 11:54:10 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stillwater

Couple of things

- Just because a film is based on a book aimed at a certain market (young adults) doesn't mean it is automatically going to be rubbish. The Hobbit is a children's book, I wonder how many people are going to complain that it is bound to be rubbish because of that?
- Some people clearly are a) not watching the film properly and b) need every detail explained to them. What is the purpose of the Hunger Games? It's explained in the opening two second before anything else occurs on screen and is then developed later on. Why are the sponsers important? Haymitch deliver a speech about why exactly they are important. What does the hand signal mean? It's a sign of respect. Do you really need someone to explain that out loud on screen before you get it?

I went to see this tonight and I enjoyed it. I thought there were a couple of things which were amiss having read the books. Effie certainly lacks any real character development or purpose in the film. I too wondered why they didn't just set the tree Katniss climbed up on fire when seeing it in the film, though that never occurred to me when reading the book. I liked the addition of seeing behind the scenes. I also thought how Seneca Cranes story went packed quite a punch at the end.

We need a clapping smiley, this will have to do

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 145
RE: Hello! - 29/3/2012 12:28:27 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

You may have missed the unofficial warning on the Prometheus thread so we'll repeat it here - if you wish to continue posting on Empire you're going to have to forego your go-to terms of abuse for other posters on the site. Keep to the posts and keep it civil, please.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 146
RE: Hello! - 29/3/2012 12:33:51 AM   
Rgirvan44

Not the best trolling I have seen sadly.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 147
RE: Hello! - 29/3/2012 12:36:18 AM   
elab49

Why is every poster on this site so bleedin' pass remarkable. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 148
RE: Hello! - 29/3/2012 2:47:43 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

WHAT'S NOT QUITE AS GOOD/ JUST PLAIN BAD:

-One moment is unintenionally hilarious and I noted that others found it very amusing as well. Reveal: When Peeta reveals his camouflage out in the wild

I think that moment is clearly meant to be funny.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 149
RE: Hello! - 29/3/2012 8:48:04 AM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

You may have missed the unofficial warning on the Prometheus thread so we'll repeat it here - if you wish to continue posting on Empire you're going to have to forego your go-to terms of abuse for other posters on the site. Keep to the posts and keep it civil, please.

Sorry lad, actually I just want my own avatar and movie signature quote. I tried to apply for one in my profile but it didn't work...disappointed and frustrated!

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A fucking teen book? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI