Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hunger Games

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Hunger Games Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hunger Games - 16/3/2012 12:24:28 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Delighted.. - 16/3/2012 12:24:28 PM   
markasmarv

to see this getting such great reviews. Look forward to it

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Delighted.. - 16/3/2012 1:55:14 PM   
S. C. Lee

Edited.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 26/8/2012 1:59:46 AM >

(in reply to markasmarv)
Post #: 3
A fucking teen book? - 16/3/2012 4:53:50 PM   
BatSpider

I'd only watch this if it was X-rated, that's the only way the concept would be done justice and showing the consqeuences without being hypocritical bullshit. Their audience is the Twilight lot isn't it? Either do it tongue in cheek like The Running Man or do it hardcore. Or do something original. Otherwise fuck off.

Post #: 4
RE: A fucking teen book? - 16/3/2012 5:38:31 PM   
crazymoviesdude

@BatSpider: A book aimed at teens has been made into a film aimed at teens. This annoys you?

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 5
RE: The Hunger Games - 16/3/2012 5:52:34 PM   
MonsterCat

This seems to be getting some really good reviews across the board.

I'm totally in.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 6
RE: The Hunger Games - 16/3/2012 5:59:06 PM   
Angelus

Looks good from the trailer, should be worth a watch.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 7
RE: The Hunger Games - 16/3/2012 5:59:12 PM   
Angelus

Triple post. Fucking Firefox.

< Message edited by Angelus -- 16/3/2012 6:00:14 PM >

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 8
RE: The Hunger Games - 16/3/2012 5:59:17 PM   
Angelus

< Message edited by Angelus -- 16/3/2012 6:00:57 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: A fucking teen book? - 16/3/2012 6:02:25 PM   
Stillwater

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

I'd only watch this if it was X-rated, that's the only way the concept would be done justice and showing the consqeuences without being hypocritical bullshit. Their audience is the Twilight lot isn't it? Either do it tongue in cheek like The Running Man or do it hardcore. Or do something original. Otherwise fuck off.

You can get across the concept of the book without showing graphic detail of their deaths on film. I'm in my twenties and I'm not sure how much I would enjoy seeing some of the parts of the book in graphic detail on screen, never mind the 'young adults' that the book was written for and yes, at whom the film is aimed at.

I'm glad this is getting good reviews, I'm a big fan of the book and looking forward to seeing it.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 10
RE: The Hunger Games - 16/3/2012 9:51:55 PM   
oli_huts

I won tickets to the European premiere of this film, and I have to say it doesn't dissapoint! I completely agree with the review here! I actually started a blog because I just HAD to review it!

Edit - feel free to review here. Posting to just to get people to go to your own blog isn't allowed on the site I'm afraid. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 16/3/2012 10:50:48 PM >

Post #: 11
I so look forward to this! - 16/3/2012 10:34:38 PM   
filmsunlimited

Normally posting before seeing the film would be premature. If you can't wait for the film.....please read the novel. It drags elements of Orwell's Big Brother kicking and screaming into a form fit for a 21st century world of surveillance, divide between the haves and have-nots, computer gameism and the sense that people are too....expendable lately in this harsh economic climate. It is countered by moments of true humanity, parts where a poor 12 year old tribute finds an ally in Katniss are almost tear jerking. I just hope the film does such a great teen novel justice. Harry Potter this aint - the themes here make Voldemort look like Casper!

Post #: 12
Can't Wait - 16/3/2012 11:24:49 PM   
harrypotter118118

I've just finished the second book in the series Catching Fire and I am so hooked on the novels. Suzanne Collins is an amazing novelist and I really hope that the production team and the director has made the movie just as good. #cantwaitforthe23rd!

Post #: 13
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:33:29 AM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stillwater

quote:

You can get across the concept of the book without showing graphic detail of their deaths on film. I'm in my twenties and I'm not sure how much I would enjoy seeing some of the parts of the book in graphic detail on screen, never mind the 'young adults' that the book was written for and yes, at whom the film is aimed at.

I'm glad this is getting good reviews, I'm a big fan of the book and looking forward to seeing it.

Uh, yeah that's my whole point. If you're going to do this concept as po-faced as the trailer makes it look then you better show EVERYTHING and squirm watching it... otherwise it's hypocritical. Like playing a World War 2 video game from the safety of your X-Box. Make it 18-rated satirical/hardcore (like classic Verhoeven/Cronenberg), or don't make it at all. That this emo looking bullshit is 12 rated means suspension of disbelief is already out the window.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to Stillwater)
Post #: 14
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:44:13 AM   
Rgirvan44

Why should you always need to see everything in exact detail anyway?

The great reviews this has been getting has made me curious to see what all the fuss is about.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 15
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:55:22 AM   
matty_b

Fucking hell, it's like people haven't heard the concept of what you don't see can be more disturbing than what you can see.

And I'm getting tired of this "It's for the Twilight crowd!" squealing nonsense. Yes, because books aimed at a teenage audience are all exactly the same, aren't they?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 12:19:56 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Fucking hell, it's like people haven't heard the concept of what you don't see can be more disturbing than what you can see.

And I'm getting tired of this "It's for the Twilight crowd!" squealing nonsense. Yes, because books aimed at a teenage audience are all exactly the same, aren't they?

Yeah but it's just a Battle Royale ripoff right?

Happy to see the reviews are good. Looking forward to it.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 12:41:50 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, it has some similarities, but Battle Royale was hardly original. I mean, as if that matters.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 18
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 12:46:14 PM   
Swedle

quote:

or you could stop being pretentious and not stereotype every teenager as 'the twilight lot' because that makes no sense whatsoever, if you want to be so closed minded then you go ahead, but keep your opinions to yourself unless they actually make sense...

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 19
RE: The Hunger Games - 17/3/2012 12:50:34 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Uh, yeah that's my whole point. If you're going to do this concept as po-faced as the trailer makes it look then you better show EVERYTHING and squirm watching it... otherwise it's hypocritical. Like playing a World War 2 video game from the safety of your X-Box. Make it 18-rated satirical/hardcore (like classic Verhoeven/Cronenberg), or don't make it at all. That this emo looking bullshit is 12 rated means suspension of disbelief is already out the window.

I don't understand this entitled "it needs to be violent so it can suit my tastes" attitude.

It's a movie based on a novel which is very popular with young teenagers. It was never going to be anything other than a high-end 12A certificate film. There are ways of depicting the severity of Katniss' predicament without resorting to 15/18 certificate levels of gore.

You don't like the fact that this a 12A film based on a book aimed at teenagers? Well hey, go watch something else then.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 17/3/2012 12:56:50 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 20
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 2:01:57 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

I agree. Besides it's not just teenagers who watch Twilight, the cinema's are filled with adults (as well as teenagers.) And the movies are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.

Personally, I wouldn't want this film to be an 18. High levels of gore would put me off watching it.

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 17/3/2012 2:07:00 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 21
- 17/3/2012 2:13:44 PM   
DeppBurtonAlliance

How does this deserve the same star rating as Battle Royale?

Post #: 22
RE: - 17/3/2012 2:21:30 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeppBurtonAlliance

How does this deserve the same star rating as Battle Royale?

Have you seen it?

(in reply to DeppBurtonAlliance)
Post #: 23
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 10:25:10 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

quote:

I agree. Besides it's not just teenagers who watch Twilight, the cinema's are filled with adults (as well as teenagers.) And the movies are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.

Personally, I wouldn't want this film to be an 18. High levels of gore would put me off watching it.

Nowhere near as bad? So how bad are they in your opinion? Just a bit bad? Slightly below good?

I've got nothing against teens, by and large they're forced to consume the culture/media which adults directly or subliminally shove down their throat. I blame the adults, hidden behind the curtain, counting their pennies. Fuck you, adults!

As expected, the geniuses here haven't worked out what I meant anyway. Maybe I'm being way too moral, but I think the concept of kids killing each other in a future tournament shouldn't be an easy night out for the popcorn munching freak masses. It should be way more challenging than that, and the only way to do it would be adult-rated satire. Then I'd be convinced there's something more on offer than just exploitation.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 24
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 10:54:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

Does this apply to every movie where there is death and rated 12A and lower?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 25
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 10:59:48 PM   
directorscut

quote:

As expected, the geniuses here haven't worked out what I meant anyway. Maybe I'm being way too moral, but I think the concept of kids killing each other in a future tournament shouldn't be an easy night out for the popcorn munching freak masses. It should be way more challenging than that, and the only way to do it would be adult-rated satire. Then I'd be convinced there's something more on offer than just exploitation.

I don't think the G-rated 2001: A Space Odyssey was intended to be an easy night out for the popcorn munching freak masses either.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 26
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:12:11 PM   
S. C. Lee

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: S. C. Lee

quote:

Nowhere near as bad? So how bad are they in your opinion? Just a bit bad? Slightly below good?

Well, I personally don't mind them, therefore they'd be quite good.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 27
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:19:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

I want to see this film but I won't see it at the cinema. The reason isn't because I'm angry and all 'fuck 12A!!!!!!' it's just that I actually would rather see the uncut version. I'm a believer in seeing films the way the director intended so the edited version isn't for me. I fully understand why it was edited though and I am still a supporter of the BBFC. I'll just wait until I can see the full version 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 28
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:27:17 PM   
jcthefirst

I cannot wait for The Expendables 2 thread.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 29
RE: A fucking teen book? - 17/3/2012 11:27:22 PM   
jcthefirst

I cannot wait for The Expendables 2 thread.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Hunger Games Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI