Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: John Carter

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: John Carter Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 10:33:41 AM   
st3veebee

The good doctor Kermode has just made this his worst film of the year (so far..). which I find ludicrous. Ignoring that it actually is a decent film, I'm fairly sure that his review gave the impression of it being boring...while other reviews this year have talked about how offensively bad certain films are (W.E...).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wog-G3djBJw

I do however agree with him about the fact that a film with such a hefty budget didn't have a star in the lead role. Bizzare choice Disney....

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 31
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 1:06:03 PM   
superdan

Yeah, it's obviously not the worst film of the year, not even close. It's imperfect, flawed and a colossal testament to Disney mismanagement but I still quite enjoyed it nonetheless.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 32
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 1:12:07 PM   
Timbzy

It had it's annoying moments and some scenes were good, but overall, this film just felt very bland. Overall, 2.5 forgettable stars.

Post #: 33
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 3:00:18 PM   
shool

I quite liked JC. Pity no sequel will be forthcoming.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 34
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 3:23:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

I thought it was ok, I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It has some good moments and I actually would have liked to have seen a sequel.

I very highly doubt this inoffensive film will be the worst film of the year.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 35
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 3:36:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

Its not the worst film ever made and I'm sure it's a helluva lot better than some shitty Piranha 3D film and something with Danny fucking Dire in it which Kermode rated not as bad as Carter.

Surprised not to see Battleship on that list though.Did he not see it? Can't find a Kermode review of that anywhere.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 36
RE: John Carter - 5/7/2012 4:52:18 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Its not the worst film ever made and I'm sure it's a helluva lot better than some shitty Piranha 3D film and something with Danny fucking Dire in it which Kermode rated not as bad as Carter.

Surprised not to see Battleship on that list though.Did he not see it? Can't find a Kermode review of that anywhere.

Nah, that was a Boyd and Floyd week sadly. He does give pithy one line reviews in the top tens for the few weeks afterwards though.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 37
RE: John Carter - 6/7/2012 1:32:05 PM   
Cool Breeze

Apparently Taylor Kitsch says he wont do any more blockbusters for a while..

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a391733/taylor-kitsch-wont-do-any-more-blockbusters-for-a-while.html

Im sure its got nothing to do with the fact that he headlined two massive box office bombs in a row!

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 6/7/2012 1:33:55 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 38
RE: John Carter - 6/7/2012 1:44:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Apparently Taylor Kitsch says he wont do any more blockbusters for a while..

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a391733/taylor-kitsch-wont-do-any-more-blockbusters-for-a-while.html

Im sure its got nothing to do with the fact that he headlined two massive box office bombs in a row!

I doubt anyone will be asking him to for a while! He probably doesn't have a choice in the matter

I thought he was great in Battleship and good enough in JC, but i think JC could've done with perhaps a different lead. Everything went from gold to shit for him in a few short months. Shame as both movies rocked it

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 39
RE: John Carter - 6/7/2012 4:17:23 PM   
Timbzy

I'm sure he'll do well in Savages.

Post #: 40
RE: John Carter - 8/7/2012 3:14:25 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The commentary is quite interesting, given that it was recorded before the movies release. Lots of talk about it being a trilogy etc.

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 41
RE: John Carter - 17/3/2014 8:31:34 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I rewqatched this over the weekend. I still love it. Rated it as No. 2 favourite movie of 2012 and it's one of my favourite science fiction adventures of all time. I love the scope and scale of it, the story and the characters. The visual FX are terrific too. I wish the movie could have been a bit longer, as the third act feels a little rushed, but other than that it's perfect entertainment for me. The 3D looks grand too with great depth and space. The open Martian plains or the River Iss all look amazing in 3D. I still think Taylor Kitsch makes for a great character and Lynn Collins is captivating as Deja Thoris.

Post #: 42
RE: John Carter - 15/4/2014 8:08:22 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Blu Ray is only 5.85 on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Carter-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B006VE0LFS/ref=sr_1_5?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1397545530&sr=1-5

Well worth picking up.

Post #: 43
RE: John Carter - 17/4/2014 8:15:27 PM   
Cool Breeze

Your vigilant yet ultimately futile attempt to prevent this film from being totally forgotten about is quite admirable DK.

However its a movie that will only be remembered for being the biggest flop in history.Heck, it didnt even get an Honest Trailer!

Post #: 44
RE: John Carter - 19/4/2014 8:03:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Your vigilant yet ultimately futile attempt to prevent this film from being totally forgotten about is quite admirable DK.

However its a movie that will only be remembered for being the biggest flop in history.Heck, it didnt even get an Honest Trailer!

In history? Surely not! But yeah it's a pretty major bomb whichever way you slice it.

I'm fascinated by movies that have a huge amount of money spent on them, yet disappear without trace and like you say, end up forgotten. I guess that's why I did the failed blockbuster appreciation thread. Thing is, I think, at worst, John Carter is an enjoyable but forgettable sci fi romp that any fan of Star Wars should at least get some enjoyment out of, even if it's just for the visuals. I mean if one hates science fiction period, then yeah sure I can understand one hating it. But for anyone who likes sci fi, it's a grand spectacle in the old tradition of Saturday morning serials.

Post #: 45
RE: John Carter - 19/4/2014 10:54:45 PM   
Captain Black

I vaguely recall reading that the reason it cost so much was because they got quite far into post production on a bunch of scenes then Stanton went back and reshot them. Which is a little strange really, since that's sorta the opposite of the animation process (where they know how costly it is to rejig stuff later down the line so make sure everything's locked in first). Anyway...

It is a really interesting film because how much they got right and wrong. The structure (well the opening anyway) is terrible; there's three separate introductions, and I don't think the meta framing device worked well. But it's terrific fun, with some proper swash and buckle old school sci-fi melded to modern production techniques. The actors are either good (especially Collins) or completely wasted (Purefoy and West in particular). I've seen it twice and I did enjoy it a little more second time round. Also that dog was chuffin' brilliant.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 46
RE: John Carter - 20/4/2014 12:46:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I love this film. Seen it four times now and it just gets better.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 47
RE: John Carter - 20/4/2014 9:39:42 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Great to see some positive comments here. I also heard what Captain Black says above about the beginning needing to be re-shot, or scrapped, then shot again with a new opening. I also agree that Woolah is amazing

Let's hear it for the gorgeous Lynn Collins

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 48
RE: John Carter - 22/4/2014 6:58:05 PM   
Scott_

I like this a lot, Taylor Kitsch is horrible, that dude has zero charisma or screen presence but everything else is real good fun. Proper old school sci-fi adventure, studios need to invest more into this kind of movie instead of superhero sequel #54 but it's a shame audience don't seem to dig this kind of science fiction story.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 49
RE: John Carter - 23/4/2014 9:08:48 AM   
shool

I might watch this again later. Really enjoyed it first time round.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: John Carter Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI