Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

John Carter

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> John Carter Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Carter - 14/3/2012 10:51:10 AM   
The Hooded Man

I know it's divided a lot of opinions but for me it was one of the best times I've had at the cinema for a long time. It was great to see a blockbuster with heart rather than, to paraphrase Ain't It Cool, cash grabs by committee like Pirates of the Carribbean and Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 1
RE: John Carter - 14/3/2012 11:49:11 AM   
Whistler

I had no real expectations going in, but I left feeling thoroughly satisfied. It's not perfect by any means, and it doesn't feel very original despite the source material out-dating all sci-fi films it seems to rip off, but it entertained me solidly for two hours. And even if we have different opinions, I did rather enjoy Dr. Kermode's latest rant

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2
RE: John Carter - 16/3/2012 1:12:29 PM   
MartinBlank76

Very entertaining indeed, and I am hoping that even though the US take currently looks lacklustre, hopefully worldwide it will do well enough for a sequel. I want John carter to get his ass back to mars!

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: John Carter - 16/3/2012 2:47:57 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I found it a thoroughly entertaining swashbuckler, and didn't really see any major issues with it. Didn't really get why Stanton felt Taylor Kitsch was the only man for the job, but he did a decent job. Willem Defoe was wonderful as Tars Tarkas, Lynn Collins fantastic as the Princess of Mars herself - nice touch of making her a scientist and a fighter when the role could have easily been a stereotypical damsel in distress. Like The Hooded Man said, it's packed with plenty of heart and it's a shame that Disney hamstrung the film's chances of success with its diabolically awful marketing.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 4
RE: John Carter - 17/3/2012 11:43:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Very entertaining. I'd love to see some more films in this series. One of the best big blockbusters in a while.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 5
RE: John Carter - 17/3/2012 1:28:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Would you say the Films main detriment is the fact there have been numourous Sci-Fi films since the books release (1917) that have taken snipets from the John Carters World ? ie Star Wars,Star Trek,Avatar etc

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 6
RE: John Carter - 19/3/2012 1:56:12 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I didn't mind the familiarity. I've never read the books, but if this is an accurate adaptation then it's easy to see how so much sci-fi has been influenced by the tale.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 7
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 12:00:41 PM   
st3veebee

This really is a better film than it gets credit for. Awful publicity it must be said tho.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 8
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 1:53:16 PM   
Skillgannon

Personnally, I loved it. Thought it was a little slow to begin with but soon picked up once on Mars.
Kitsch was fine in the lead role but it was Lynn Collins who stole the show.

I would be very happy for a sequel although, my gut says it won't happen

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 9
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 1:54:38 PM   
MartinBlank76

It sounds like Disney has already thrown the towel in on this one which I dont understand. Yes, it cost big money to make but 200 million worldwide in its first two weeks aint that shabby is it?

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 10
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 1:55:00 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skillgannon

Personnally, I loved it. Thought it was a little slow to begin with but soon picked up once on Mars.
Kitsch was fine in the lead role but it was Lynn Collins who stole the show.

I would be very happy for a sequel although, my gut says it won't happen

Very doubtful for a sequel I would say. See below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442200

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Skillgannon)
Post #: 11
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 3:47:21 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Very doubtful for a sequel I would say. See below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442200

Was just about to post that link, looks like its turkey time for Disney.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 21/3/2012 2:15:46 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 12
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 3:50:12 PM   
Timon

The headlines are very sensationalist though. It HAS made $200 million worldwide in over 2 weeks, it's just because the studio reportedly spent $100 million on a cack marketing campaign.

It's lost money, but it's not the turkey certain hack publications are running with. Sahara lost sheds loads more than Carter did.

The problem with articles like this is people will now dismiss it as a 'shit film' because it's lost money, when it's really a decent movie. I feel bad for Stanton, I think he did a decent job. Maybe this will get the 'Shawshank' revival... but I doubt it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 4:51:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

At the end of the day, the movie was fun, but that was it. It doesn't have the staying power to be seen as a classic I think. Some nice moments, some nice acting, but nothing to really set it apart from other blockbusters.

I certainly think it is sad it didn't find an audience, but at the same time, I am not going to use the box office failure to declare it as some sort of unseen cult classic.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 5:26:29 PM   
MartinBlank76

Is this move by disney not just adding to the stench of failure that already hangs round the movie? Its not exactly helping matters any. A mate of mine who knew nothing about the movie other than I said it was good, noticed this move by disney today and took it as it as not worth going to see.

As for the marketing campaign the same mate knew nothing about the film but had saw the poster and thought it was something to do with cavemen. I really dont think all those other mars films flopped just because the word mars was in the title.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 20/3/2012 5:27:59 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 5:29:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

It sounds like Disney are washing their hands of the whole thing. Would suspect background politics we are not privy to are coming into play.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 16
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 5:36:53 PM   
MartinBlank76

Is that not cutting their nose off to spite their face? They may be able to rescue something from it if they try to reposition the marketing now, or even in advance of the dvd campaign. No sense adding more to the bad vibes around it. I still think 200 million in two weeks is decent enough. Did they really think it was going to be avatar? It will probably end up like the likes of prince of persia and tron legacy, 400 million or so worldwide from its theatrical release and is that really flop territory, even with the budget and especially with dvd still to come? I dunno, I feel sorry for poor ol unloved John Carter (of Mars)!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 17
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 5:59:54 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It sounds like Disney are washing their hands of the whole thing. Would suspect background politics we are not privy to are coming into play.

It's clearly been the victim of a regime change at Disney - and we can only imagine the kind of conversations that have been happening since the tracking numbers came out.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 18
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 8:05:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

They're saying this film is the biggest flop ever, and Disney have suffered a loss of 200 mill, maybe they should put more money into marketing the damn thing. Did they think people would flock to the cinema as they did Avatar? Its a shame really because John Carter of Mars (the original novel) is responsible in part for scifi blockbusters like Star Wars and Avatar.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/3/2012 8:07:39 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 19
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 8:32:19 PM   
rich

The marketing was a big failure and this studio exec sounds like huge asshole. Something this will break even at least.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 20
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 8:34:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

The marketing was a big failure and this studio exec sounds like huge asshole. Something this will break even at least.

Huge asshole is an understatement....a REALLY huge asshole is more fitting!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 21
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 8:48:28 PM   
Sutty

It is a sad state of a affairs when a movie that makes $200 million in its first two weeks is considered a failure. Much like when Superman Returns ONLY made half a BILLION dollars at the box office, some so called experts said it was a flop. Absolute bollocks in my opinion. And it is a shame because what this attitude will eventualy foster is an outlook whereby unless a movie starts smashing records then it is a failure. Only movies such as Avatar, Titanic (both distinctly average flicks overall but found an audience - particularly Titanic - that could connect with them in very personal ways) and Lord of the Rings will be deemed successes. The more this happens the less likely that new up and coming directors will get their chance at the big movies, because unless it makes a billion bucks the head honcho's will get rid. Sadly, John Carter is unlikely to expand on its already found audience at the cinema and possibly wont be seen by many until dvd now.
There will come a time, and very soon, that only "event" movies or movies with gimmicks such as 3D will get mainstream releases. Middle budget movies will become obsolete, perhaps non existant, and with it originality and new ideas will die. Because lets face it... why take the chance?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 22
RE: John Carter - 20/3/2012 9:36:54 PM   
Cool Breeze

I thought this movie was..ok.

I usually avoid 3d showings of movies at the cinema cos i dont really like it and think its just a money grabbing gimmick.However there were no normal screenings anywhere near me so i opted for the 3D showing at my local.

God i hate 3D.It just makes characters on screen look like cardboard cut outs.And certain action scenes looked blurry.

As for the actual film itself.It was decent but nothing special.It was a little hard to follow i places (Just what were Mark Strongs people really up to and what the hell were they really?).Kitsch was ok but looked a little short and scrawny to be a warrior.He needed to have a Chris Hemsworth style physique to really carry this role off.

So not bad but nothing special.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 23
RE: John Carter - 21/3/2012 2:20:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

At the end of the day, the movie was fun, but that was it. It doesn't have the staying power to be seen as a classic I think. Some nice moments, some nice acting, but nothing to really set it apart from other blockbusters.

Fun it was, but certainly no worse than some of the films that have gone on to make a billion or more. For me it was certainly one of the more memorable and entertaining blockbusters of recent years, very much looking forward to seeing it again.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: John Carter - 21/3/2012 1:50:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

enjoyed this a lot, an entertaining two hours! Probably liked it a bit more than Avatar and it was mercifully shorter.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 25
RE: John Carter - 21/3/2012 2:23:37 PM   
The REAL Bozz

This will be a borrow for me. I'm sure my bro will buy it when it comes out. The trailers never did anything for me but I like the cast so I'll see it for them.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 26
RE: John Carter - 21/3/2012 9:55:11 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

enjoyed this a lot, an entertaining two hours! Probably liked it a bit more than Avatar and it was mercifully shorter.

Have you rediscovered your love for the cinema DK? With this and MI:4,you didnt wait for the Blu ray like you normally do.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27
RE: John Carter - 21/3/2012 10:50:09 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

It is a sad state of a affairs when a movie that makes $200 million in its first two weeks is considered a failure. Much like when Superman Returns ONLY made half a BILLION dollars at the box office, some so called experts said it was a flop. Absolute bollocks in my opinion. And it is a shame because what this attitude will eventualy foster is an outlook whereby unless a movie starts smashing records then it is a failure.

I think the issue here though is that a films takings have to be comparable to its budget. John Carter had a huge budget of around $350 million in total once you take in production costs & marketing (that's a figure larger than The Dark Knight and on a par with Avatar). For that alone, it MUST obtain a healthy box office to be deemed a success - it's economical suicide otherwise.

quote:

Only movies such as Avatar, Titanic (both distinctly average flicks overall but found an audience - particularly Titanic - that could connect with them in very personal ways) and Lord of the Rings will be deemed successes.

That's obviously your opinion. But both those works not only drew from very well known sources (being a real life disaster or a celebrated work of fiction), they were marketed properly by the studios who financed them - something Disney spectacularly cocked up in JC's regard.

quote:

The more this happens the less likely that new up and coming directors will get their chance at the big movies, because unless it makes a billion bucks the head honcho's will get rid. Sadly, John Carter is unlikely to expand on its already found audience at the cinema and possibly wont be seen by many until dvd now.

Andrew Stanton directed at its time the most successful Pixar film to be released & it was one of the biggest earners of all time at the box office. WALL-E did pretty well too. I don't see your logic here.

quote:

There will come a time, and very soon, that only "event" movies or movies with gimmicks such as 3D will get mainstream releases. Middle budget movies will become obsolete, perhaps non existant, and with it originality and new ideas will die. Because lets face it... why take the chance?

Nonsense. The comedy genre tends to be the most profitable genre of mainstream cinema and as long as people want to laugh, you'll see far more of them in the multiplexes than big-budgeted special effects works. The box office failure of JC is a wake-up call to the studios who gamble on a $200 million project - NOT the ones with relatively modest overheads.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 21/3/2012 10:55:16 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 28
RE: John Carter - 4/7/2012 6:25:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Got my 3D blu ray in the post today,. just about to rewatch this awesome movie. Had a quick flick through and it looks fantastic in hi-def.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 29
RE: John Carter - 4/7/2012 6:26:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Have you rediscovered your love for the cinema DK? With this and MI:4,you didnt wait for the Blu ray like you normally do.

Only just seen this! I've definitely been to the movies more times this year than in previous. It's been a great year for movies so far!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> John Carter Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI