Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem - 7/1/2013 11:23:19 AM   
Pigeon Army

Guess now's as good a time as any to give some feedback on the last fifty and then some.

155) k-os - Yes! - Joyful Rebellion is the better album (mainly because it isn't as up-its-own-ass with hidden tracks and endless epilogues) but Yes! has some great cuts (Uptown Girl through to The Aviator is gold really) and I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman is probs the best on it. Well chosen.

159) The White Stripes - White Blood Cells - Should be The Union Forever, what kind of film fan are you, urgh

167) Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism - This is my go-to chill album. Just so nice in a good way.

176) Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak - P much the only good KoL album.

179) Radiohead - Amnesiac - I saw them live in November. It was fucking spiritual. The Amnesiac cuts were some of the best - this is a stone cold classic everybody underrates. Knives Out is aces.

180) GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords - Never got into this like I should.

187) Blur - 13 - Same again. I find Parklife/Modern Life is Rubbish/The Great Escape to just be easier, better lessons..

189) Cat Power - The Greatest - Need to give this a real good listen.

191) The Strokes - Room on Fire - Actually pretty good. I like it a lot.

198) The Roots - The Tipping Point - I'm an anomaly in that I prefer The Roots' later, more commercial stuff to their earlier records. There's something about the aesthetic of their post-Things Fall Apart stuff that's more interesting to me in its density and its layers. Also best cut is clearly Boom!

204) Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children - Well, obviously. I prefer The Campfire Headphase but this is still loft.

208) LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem - Track for track, This Is Happening is Murphy's best, but fuck if this isn't stacked with fine songs. Tribulations rocks and I love how it sounds like Murphy has a head cold when singing Disco Infiltrator. Choice cut is Losing My Edge though - the fear of obsolescence has never been so catchy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.
Post #: 121
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem - 7/1/2013 11:52:07 AM   
MonsterCat

Cat Power () and We Are Scientists are both really good picks.

Bluesy Cat Power () is my favorite.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 122
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem - 7/1/2013 2:39:26 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

A favourite of mine too, the Queen Eliabeth Hall gig I saw in 2005 was just mind blowing, one of the best ever. Personally Moon Pix is my favourite of her Albums. the sound is just rich and haunting, her voice has amazing depth, range and power throughout and varity is there too. Its a masterclass, and Metal Heart is just about my favourite track their all good mind.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 123
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #209 - NOFX - 8/1/2013 5:50:47 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

LCD's self titled is probably my least favourite of their three albums, which is a testament to how good a band they were because it's still a fantastic album.

I haven't heard much from NOFX unfortunately, I probably should change that fact.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 124
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem - 11/1/2013 12:08:09 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy
quote:

A favourite of mine too, the Queen Eliabeth Hall gig I saw in 2005 was just mind blowing, one of the best ever. Personally Moon Pix is my favourite of her Albums. the sound is just rich and haunting, her voice has amazing depth, range and power throughout and varity is there too. Its a masterclass, and Metal Heart is just about my favourite track their all good mind.

As I said in the post for that entry, I'm finding it hard to love Cat Power. I appreciate her music, but aside from the odd stand out track, neither this album or We Are Free really cuts my mustard. So much promise in the The Greatest's opening / titular track...

Well You Are Free isn't the easiest listen, mind you there are a few melodic rock numbers to balance out the dark moodier tracks. I would give the recent record a a go as it is her most accessible to date, then again I would have said the Greatest was too. Moon Pix is her masterpiece like I said that is the one you need to check out.

(When I read the words "Moon Pix" in your post on Jan 7th, I mentally sang to myself "Moonpix.com", which in turn Derren Browned me, so I unthinkingly went and ordered custom birthday cards for Nicholas Cage, Clint Mansell, Mark Lamarr, Lewis Hamilton and Jeremy Renner.
Pointedly, I did not buy cards for Nick Clegg or Pope Gregory XIII... Fuck your Ronseal jokes and your calendars. )

Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #208 - LCD Soundsystem Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI