Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 30/3/2012 4:47:29 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Artist: Elbow

Augmented Album: Asleep in the Back (2001)
Augmentations = + Asleep in the Back, from 2002 re-release.

Song: "Red" - click for video

"You've been playing too rough lately"

A stunning debut from Elbow, and I'll say it now, an album they've never bettered. Actually, now I've written that aloud, I'm not 100% certain I believe it. Guess we'll see, if any more Elbow albums come up in this thread (they will).

Most of the tracks are fantastic, Any Day Now, Powder Blue, the beginning of Newborn (!), and I love Don't Mix Your Drinks and Coming Second. The version I got was the 2001 release, which was sans the also excellent title track, though for iPodular purposes, I now have that song shoehorned in artificially, as per the 2002 re-release.

The winner is Red, cos it's (still) sublime.

Completely agree.

Loved this album when it first came out & stuff on it still gets a play (newborn, powder blue, can't stop & scattered back & whites in particular).

Can't really be bothered with them now though.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 30/3/2012 4:48:26 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 91
RE: Gram's Top Song Project - now up: #026 - #028 Mos, ... - 2/4/2012 12:31:32 AM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
Could there any more venom directed onwards Queen than what you alrayd think, Rawls? I'd be nice and Benton Fraser-like in my rejections of songs.

To be fair, I did used to like them, particularly the earlier stuff. I just really wouldn't be arsed listening to them now.
My Dad had the original Greatest Hits album on cassette, which was played in his car until it, and my poor youthful mind, were warped and close to snapping. He also had Queen II on vinyl, which I appropriated, and I had mates who were big Queen fans, so I copied all my preferred tracks to tapes* (lots of avoidance of singles, then). The only album that I bought was the one none of my mates had. Sadly, that album was... Hot Space.

"What a mistaka to maka!"

* Home taping kills muisc, kids. Don't do it!

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 92
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #33 - Pixies - 2/4/2012 11:04:36 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Pixies

Album: Doolittle (1989)

Song: "Monkey Gone To Heaven" - click for live performance on The Late Show 1989

"The creature in the sky got sucked in a hole
Now there's a hole in the sky"

I was a latecomer to Pixies, my first purchase being the 2004 Wave of Mutilation best of comp, though I've loved this song way back when there was only two music TV channels - MTV (Europe) and VH1 - and the former still managed to dedicate time to broadcasting indie / alternative music shows. Nowadays there's about 30 music channels available in the UK, and since NME TV died at the beginning of this year, and MTV Two became MTV Rocks, heavily diluting the alternative music angle in the process, we're left with less indie music TV than we had in the late 1980s. C'est Pathétique.

Anyway, yeah, Monkey Gone to Heaven. I might have heard it a few too many times by now, but it still stands up as a stunning slice of US alt rock.
Other contenders - well, almost the whole album, but Tame, There Goes My Gun and Mr Grieves are fantastic, and I Bleed and Hey are two of my absolute favourite Pixies tracks.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/4/2012 12:21:59 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 93
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #34 - Editors - 2/4/2012 11:14:12 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Editors

Augmented Album: An End Has a Start (2007)
Augmentations = + French Disko (Stereolab cover), + Orange Crush (R.E.M. cover), + Road to Nowhere (Talking Heads cover)

Song: "The Racing Rats" - click for video

"Words spill from my drunken mouth
I just can't keep them all in"

In general, I like Editors' singles and their guitar sound, but I'm not a massive fan of theirs, and some of the album tracks, lyrics and Tom Smith's frankenvocals leave me a bit un-arsed.

The title track plus Bones, Heads in Bags and the 3 cover versions I shoved on the end are all good, with the Stereolab cover very nearly winning this round. In the end it didn't cos, like all 3 covers, I prefer the original, and Racing Rats is one of their best tunes full stop, IMHO.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 94
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #35 - Morrissey - 2/4/2012 11:28:15 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Morrissey

Album: Vaxuhall And I (1994)

Song: "Spring-heeled Jim" - click for early / alt version audio

"Spring-heeled Jim winks an eye
He'll 'do', he'll never be 'done to'."

The first artist to have 2 albums pop up in my random playlist, and as I mentioned prevo, this was released during my Moz sabbatical (I was into Moz from the beginning up til just after Your Arsenal, then didn't bother for years).

I learned late, then, that it's a really strong album with a host of good tracks, including Billy Budd, The More You Ignore Me, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, I Am Hated For Loving and Speedway. Top track simply has to be the above and I've linked the version of the song that I had at the time, which, as someone says in the YouTube comments was from a Q magazine sampler tape. It was initially a little odd years later, hearing the album version riddled with We Are The Lambeth Boys samples.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 2/4/2012 11:59:09 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 95
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #36 - Omni Trio - 2/4/2012 11:43:26 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Omni Trio

Album: The Haunted Science (1996)

Song: "Haunted Kind" - click for audio

Probably my favourite Drum & Bass artist, Robert Haigh aka Omni Trio stands at the chilled edge of the genre, especially on this record. The music is not all drums and bass, there's plenty of lovely wiggly synth noises and stuff, and the bpm isn't all uptempo jungle-hectic - some tracks have an almost ambient (genre) feel.

This track fits into that category, fairly minimal, a slower bpm and super-easy on the ears, if not exactly haunting - at least not in the sense of something like Rob Playford & Goldie's The Shadow. Elsewhere, Astral Phase, Who Are You (Aqua Sky mix) and Trippin' on Broken Beats (alternative mix) are all really nice tracks.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 96
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #37 - The Verve - 2/4/2012 11:56:57 AM   
Gram123

Artist: The Verve

Album: A Northern Soul (1995)

Song: "On Your Own" - click for live version on MTV's 120 Minutes

I was given the subsequent Verve album as a pretty random xmas gift by a then-g/f one year, having not expressed any prior interest in the band at all. A few tracks from that album stood out immediately, and I grew to like the rest of the album over time. From A Northern Soul, I'd heard (in a nightclub ) and liked On Your Own yonkles ago, but it wasn't til much later that I'd hear the missus' album, and this time, a few tracks stood out immediately (A New Decade, This is Music, History, Life's An Ocean and Drive You Home), but this time, I never grew to particularly like the rest of the album. I still really rate those songs, with the exception of Drive, which I now find rather ponderous and monotonous, and I think it may be heading for the exit...

On Your Own, though =

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/4/2012 1:09:57 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 97
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #37 - The Verve - 3/4/2012 12:37:11 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Pixies and Doolittle is an amazing album

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 3/4/2012 12:38:04 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 98
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #38 - BT - 3/4/2012 12:48:02 AM   
Gram123

Artist: BT

Augmented Album: ESCM (1997)
+ Flaming June (BT & PVD mix)

Song: "Flaming June" - click for full 8.5 min version audio or short version with crappy video

I'm assured that Brian Transeau aka BT is yet another "had it, lost it" kind of artist, though I seem to have only been into his music during his peak period. The height of his fame probably came with this album, and in particular, this track, which remains a tasty little summer pudding of a tune.
Whilst not my toppermost BT album, it has a quality production sound with a few really nice tracks and it's not confined to the progressive trance he's remembered for. There's breakbeat (Love, Peace And Grease), a bit of acid house (Orbitus Teranium) and some semi-drum & bass (The Road to Lostwithiel).

I'm a little annoyed at myself for choosing so many singles as winners - well, so many singles from the last few entries, at least. (I make this the 13th A-side out of 38 entries so far, but #039 will be a single too...). Feels a bit like I'm making a populist. Whilst Flaming June has a quite typical 90s trance keyboard riff (and you'd be forgiven for dismissing it based on that), BT breaks up the beats and adds some nice squidgy, malleable secondary melody, lifting the track out the trancemire. Love, Peace and Grease came 2nd.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/4/2012 1:19:21 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 99
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #39 - Muse - 3/4/2012 1:05:55 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Muse

Album: Showbiz (1999)

Song: "Sunburn" - click for video

"She burns like the sun, and I can't look away"

I remember a single was released from this, Muse's debut album, and it was immediately attacked as being a Radiohead ripoff, and they took a good while to shake, or at least suppress the tag. You know, listening back to it now, I honestly can't remember which track that was, and can't identify any song on the album as sounding like the Abingdonese 5some. Maybe it's because both bands have changed so much in the interim (esp. Radiohead). Or maybe it's because they didn't actually sound very much alike after all.

Though I do like a good few of their songs, Muse were never my favourite band, and they fell out of the favour bus somewhere around 2002 - 2003. They managed to re-board the bus, but they refused to sit down, and fell out the window again, this time landing in a ditch of their own making, from which they've yet to return (and I haven't even been drinking).

It was gonna be the mostly great Sober but Bellamy conjuring the yet-to-be-born blight that was The Darkness in the middle, and his noisy inhalations that follow the more energetically sung lines (I noticed it, and can no longer ignore it) dropped it a point. Muscle Museum takes bronze.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 3/4/2012 1:21:29 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 100
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #37 - The Verve - 3/4/2012 1:08:06 AM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Pixies and Doolittle is an amazing album

Indeed.
More Pixies as and when.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 101
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 6:56:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5 more. Didn't like Kingdom of Rust or Wu-Gambinos, Dancehall Dub was OK, but The Conspirator and Belly Of The Whale are both grand.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 102
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 9:24:47 AM   
matty_b

I like the Editors, Pixies, Verve and Morrissey tracks from those.

Will have to listen to the others later.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 103
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 9:38:03 AM   
Gram123

quote:

5 more. Didn't like Kingdom of Rust or Wu-Gambinos, Dancehall Dub was OK, but The Conspirator and Belly Of The Whale are both grand.

Nice one, Gimli! Out of that lot, I'd have thought the Doves track was the most universally accessible and therefore the one you'd have had greatest chance of liking, but hey, you go your own way, son.

I'm glad someone likes the Quantic track, and it's good to see you have a degree of interest in Tom Waits, which would have surprised me a little were it not for your often positive comments in Larry's thread a while back.

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
I like the Editors, Pixies, Verve and Morrissey tracks from those.

Thumbs you very much.

Post #: 104
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #40 - Black Attack - 3/4/2012 10:11:38 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Various

Album: Soundbombing Vol. 1 (2000)

Song: Black Attack"My Crown" - click for audio

Hungry for more after getting into Mos Def's Black on Both Sides (entry #026) and some related stuff, I bought this compilation from Rawkus Records, which included among other things, two Mos tracks and a 3rd appearance as guest. It's a sadly disappointing comp on a couple of fronts - First, the tracks featuring Mos Def are ok, but pretty second tier. Perhaps they were cast offs from his album, or were early material that's not quite up to the standard of what was to follow. Second, I learned that there's a bunch of other Rawkus artists who aren't very good, and the opening 5 tracks to this mix are all irksome, which makes for a depressing first listen. Third, and perhaps most damaging, is the DJ mixing these tracks, one Evil Dee, who insists on putting his shitty stamp all over the album.
The opening and closing tracks are killed by his banal proclamations, and on most every song he feels the need to shout "Evil Dee is on the mix, come on, kick it", or an equivalent. We're not in a club, Mr Dee. We don't need this shit hyping. Inevitably, the combination of the 2nd and 3rd issues has meant I've ruthlessly cleaved several unlistenable songs.

So what does that leave? Well, as said, the Mos Def tracks are ok, and the Reflection Eternal track featuring Mos and Mr Man is alright, too, although you do have to put up with Mr Man's dodgy, dodgy lyrics (e.g. "I'll cut your ass in half and leave you with a semi-colon", or worse, "My shit is so phat it be stretchin my asshole"... Seriously, no need.). The album features two tracks each from R. A. The Ruggedman and L-Fudge, and in both cases the ones sans guests are a bit crap, and the ones with are a bit better. There's a whole bunch of "alright, ok, not great" on this record. My top 3 choices would be those tracks from B-1, Shabaam Sahdeeq and Black Attack, and I've only heard of the middlemost of those artists before or since. Black Attack wins, with the Slick Rick sample playing a big part in his victory.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 17/4/2012 9:17:47 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 105
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 11:21:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I'm glad someone likes the Quantic track, and it's good to see you have a degree of interest in Tom Waits, which would have surprised me a little were it not for your often positive comments in Larry's thread a while back.

I was surprised as well. I like him the gruff and growling songs of his, but a lot of that is probably down to the video of him matched to Cookie Monster

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 106
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 4/4/2012 9:21:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I generally like REM. At least, I can;t think of any dislike but I could probably only name about a dozen songs. Not too keen on this one though. Bowie's good, didn't like All Caps or Flashback, and Morrisey can bugger off. La Ritournelle was great until the singing stated, and Reflection suffered from a similar problem but it grew on me and I've now heard it three times!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 107
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 4/4/2012 10:19:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

And... I was considering getting Mr Hood by KMD, the early 90s hip hop troupe that Doom was a member of, back when he was called Zev Love X...

Was listening to it on Spotify today, I'm going to have to buy it now.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 108
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 10/4/2012 2:46:53 PM   
Gram123

quote:

quote:

I was surprised as well. I like him the gruff and growling songs of his, but a lot of that is probably down to the video of him matched to Cookie Monster

Must check that out!

quote:

I generally like REM. At least, I can;t think of any dislike but I could probably only name about a dozen songs. Not too keen on this one though. Bowie's good, didn't like All Caps or Flashback, and Morrisey can bugger off. La Ritournelle was great until the singing stated, and Reflection suffered from a similar problem but it grew on me and I've now heard it three times!

I really like La Ritournelle, Tellier's vocals included. But from what I've heard, his other songs seem to be much more about the vocals and daft lyrics and stuff, and less of the swelling instrumentation, which is a shame.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
quote:

And... I was considering getting Mr Hood by KMD, the early 90s hip hop troupe that Doom was a member of, back when he was called Zev Love X...

Was listening to it on Spotify today, I'm going to have to buy it now.

Cool, I take it it's good, then? I haven't checked it (any) out yet, but intend to.

Post #: 109
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #41 - Pest - 10/4/2012 3:01:44 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Pest

Album: All Out Fall Out (2005)

Song: "Pat Pong" - click for audio

Right, back on it, then. The funky wonk of Ninja Tune band Pest is up next, with their brand of nu-jazzy, hip-hoppy downtempo style. Discogs reckons they're sound is Abstract /  Future Jazz / Broken Beat. Sometimes dischordant, off-tempo, or twisting messy snippets of instrumentation into interesting loops, sometimes riffing around odd samples, such as a weird, monotone hypnotist, and sometimes just fat bass sounds, funky guitar, and some English geezer sorta rapping.

Choice coulda been Delucid or Donde Pesta, or if one of the vocal tracks, the single, Wuju (with it's mentile video), or possibly Ogres for the bassline. But I went with the track with the naughty sample instead....

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 110
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #42 - No Use For A Name - 10/4/2012 3:26:04 PM   
Gram123

Artist: No Use For A Name

Augmented Album: More Betterness! (1999)
+ Enjoy the Silence (Depeche Mode cover)

Song: "Saddest Song" - click for audio

"Horrified by any change, living by consensus destroys us"

Change of pace now, some pop punk. In fact, probably among the poppiest of pop-punk bands in my collection, and this, the band's most melodic album (at least of the ones I've heard). Tony Sly's vocals were always a bit on the weak side, but the issue is compounded on this album by it's generally slower tempo and some pleasant, but rather samey songs. This was the last album Chris Shiflett appeared on before leaving to become the lead guitarist in Foo Fighters (fact fans).

I was tempted to pick the Depeche Mode cover I stapled on the end of the album (which is far better than the horrid Fairytale of New York cover that appears on the album proper), and tracks like Life Size Mirror and Coming Too Close came close (erk), but Saddest Song wins.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 10/4/2012 3:27:22 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 111
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 10/4/2012 3:58:34 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Cool, I take it it's good, then? I haven't checked it (any) out yet, but intend to.

I absolutely loved it, even the skits work, which is a rarity for a rap album. Definitely worth a listen on Spotify, especially as the cd/mp3 is on the pricey side.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 112
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 10/4/2012 4:22:15 PM   
Gram123

Actually, it's £6.96 + £1.26 del on Amazon via Moviemars in New condition, which ain't too bad if it's bonzer.

Fuck zoverstocks, though, and their 1p cheaper bullscheiße.

Post #: 113
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #43 - Chris Clark - 11/4/2012 10:11:09 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Chris Clark

Album: Clarence Park (2001)

Song: "Lord of the Dance" - click for audio

Chris Clark's debut was recommended to me as something I may like, seeing as I liked Boards Of Canada. I'll not perpetuate these misguided grounds for recommendation to anyone else here - the two acts are very different. Clark's material, on this album at least, is much more in the fucked-up glitchy ambient techno world in which Aphex Twin resides. And like Aphex, there's moments of tenderness amongst the violence, short piano pieces scattered among the hecticness. Some of it is hard going, and I excised a few unmelodious tracks from the album.

Prior to listening to this again, and most of the way through hearing it, I was thinking I'd definitely be nominating Bricks as my top choice - it's a fairly hectic track, but is also very listenable. Then Lord of the Dance came on, and even though it's the album's lovely, silly, cheesey wee oddity, I just had to give it the top spot. Just don't expect the rest of the album to be owt like this one!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 114
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #44 - Death Cab For Cutie - 11/4/2012 10:33:42 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Death Cab For Cutie

Album: Narrow Stairs (2008)

Song: "I Will Possess Your Heart" - long version or short version video

"You reject my advances and desperate pleas
I won't let you, let me down so easily"

I'd pretty much come to terms with the notion that DCFC would have lost it by this album. Their previous album had seen them sign to a major label, and the expectation was that that would be their last decent record and what came next would be a steady decline. When it came to it, then, I was pleasantly surprised by this album, particularly the opening 4 tracks.

The most obvious progression in the band's sound had been in the step from The Photo Album (2001) to Transatlanticism (2003), but there is a different vibe to this record compared to their last couple, most evident in the track I had to choose as this album's winner. The album version of this stalker favourite begins with 4 minutes of bass intro, before it kicks up and Gibbard starts singing - that could be considered excessive, but it works well, driving the song on, and your interest doesn't falter because of it (well, mine doesn't, anyway). I've included a link to the shorter video up top too, in case anyone cannae be ersed with the long vers.

I think this was only the 3rd time I've listened to this album to date, but it's got me thinking I really ought to pick up the Open Door EP and Codes And Keys. If anyone's a DCFC fan, can you tell me if these are gooooood?! Ta.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 11/4/2012 10:34:17 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 115
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #45 - Propellerheads - 11/4/2012 1:49:08 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Propellerheads

Augmented Album: Decksandrumsandrockandroll (1998)
+ 360° (Oh Yeah) (feat. De La Soul), + Bring us Together, + Take California and Party (feat. Jungle Brothers), + Big Dog

Song: "Cominagetcha" - click for audio

Some big beat next, with a Bond bent. I got really rather sick of this album back in the late 90s, due to the band wringing every possible penny from it with 6 singles plus a remix single spread over a 3 year period. A long gap between listens has healed that irritant to some extent, but I still find myself preferring the album tracks & bonus tracks over the singles.
For all I don't mind it, I can't say I love History Repeating (feat. Shirley Bassey). Of the singles, I'd have probably chosen Bang On! or at a push, Velvet Pants.

So, in the end the choice came down to Bigger! or the slower-building and Cominagetcha.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 116
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #46 - Zion I - 12/4/2012 9:35:27 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Zion I

Album: Deep Water Slang V2.0 (2003)

Song: "Finger Paint (feat. Susie Suh & D.U.S.T.)" - click for video

The sophomore album from slept-on California hip hop outfit Zion I, has a laid-back vibe, cool flows and a strong production sound from DJ AmpLive, with a sound akin to that of Canadian rapper k-os. The beats and backing tracks are strong and always interesting, never just simple loops, and they span differing styles throughout the album - basically if you like your hip hop a little less aggro and you appreciate MC Zumbi's voice, the rest takes care of itself.

I particularly like Mind Blow and a few of the tracks featuring guest artists - Warriors Dance (feat. Jog9 & Pep Love [of Hieroglyphics]) and Flow (feat. The Grouch & Goapele), and, indeed, the above winner.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 117
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #47 - Boards Of Canada - 12/4/2012 12:31:07 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Boards Of Canada

Album: Geogaddi (2002)

Song: "1969" - click for audio / fan vid

This album was my first introduction to BOC, a blind purchase on the back of reading a couple of reviews saying it was basically a really good ambient record. I didn't really have any specific expectations, though most of the ambient I'd listened to at that point was stuff from the Warp label, Aphex, Plastikman etc, and the videos that used to play on MTV's latenight Chillout Zone, like FSOL, Sven Väth and Higher Intelligence Agency.

This though, was nothing like those artists. BOC have a unique sound, fairly slow and sparse, but textured and layered. There are odd samples from 70s documentaries, films and interviews, often distorted or vocodered or back-masked. Even samples of people counting are distorted making them sound strangely melancholy. There are stuttering drum loops and crunchy percussion and background noises, and almost every analog synth sound on the album seems slightly warped - notes aren't held, they're wobbled, pitch shifted or made to sound like they're lifted from the TV soundtrack of some knackered old VHS tape. That these sounds are accompanied by samples illustrative of BOC's interest in the US government's handling of the Waco seige, added to that weirdly evocative 70s vibe, and spooky samples of children's voices (in The Devil is in the Details, for example, what sounds like a short sample of a child's cry is alternately played kinda normal, and then partially down-shifted, so it becomes melodious, though remains disturbing), only adds to the disquieting feel of the album. It leaves you with a slightly unnerved feeling, as if you've been taken back to a time and place you maybe never visited.

When I hear this record, I can't help but recall a disjointed, and probably inaccurate memory of a time when I was very young, maybe 5 or 6, quite late at night, in a huge brightly lit hotel function room (or a very open-plan bar or something) for some family do or other. Everyone I knew and most of those I didn't, were off over the far side, maybe 100ft away (?), talking, mingling, and there was maybe quiet background music or maybe none. I think the numbers of guests had already thinned, and I was sat on dark leather seats, for what seemed like a long time, alone, watching a re-run of an old US documentary that seemed to be about wolves living near whitewater rapids. I was sat too close up to an enormous projector screen, the film stock seeming old or incorrectly coloured, or distorted by my proximity, the American voiceover feeling otherworldly, very serious, detached, but the subject matter seeming in turns exciting and perturbing and sad.
Don't really know why I told you that, but ok... that's where Geogaddi kinda puts me...

The album should probably be listened to as a whole, but for this project, a top track is req'd. Alpha and Omega nearly made it, Sunshine Recorder was in with a chance, the haunting 1969 wins.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 14/4/2012 1:11:29 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 118
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #46 - Zion I - 12/4/2012 5:00:51 PM   
hubu_phonk

Frustratingly enough i was only able to stream half the album by Chris Clark via groove shark. I like it and its been too long since i glitched it up. I'll have to try and get my hands on the full album and give it a listen, good rec. Also Giogaddi, awesome album and was my entry point into BOC and track one was always a good first song in my sets. I always described them, especially Geogaddi, as edgy chill-out though which inspired my sets for a while in the terms of a subtle audio terrorism. No wonder my nights didn't do well

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 119
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #46 - Zion I - 13/4/2012 11:20:32 AM   
Gram123

Of all the albums I've listened to and posted so far in this proj, Clark's was one I didn't expect to see positive responses for - it's pretty hectic and I imagine it wouldn't be to most people's taste (I'm anticipating the Gimli review), so I'm glad it appealed to you, hubu!

The entries in your "L'arte dei Rumori" thread and your posts in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread seem hella far out and obscure to me (that's the first, and maybe last, time I've ever used the word "hella"), and I'm kinda intrigued / jealous that you have this whole other world of music to draw from.
It might just be my perception, but I think that most of the stuff in this thread so far is comparatively pretty standard and well-known, obviously the likes of Beastie Boys, Morrissey, Manics, Elbow, Gorillaz, Doves, Bowie, Muse, but even the more 'genre' stuff, I feel like people will have an awareness of much of it, even if they don't know it.

I'm gonna try and devote time to checking out some of the stuff I don't recognise that others have listed in the "What are you listening to" thread some time soon, and yours are amongst the ones I'm most eager to sample. That said, I intended to do the same with some of the interesting looking albums posted up by the likes of moontheloon, Larry of Arabia, UTB and Swoz_MK (and foz and sanchia and JessFranco and bubs and probably loads of others) but still ain't got round to it....

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk
Also Giogaddi, awesome album and was my entry point into BOC and track one was always a good first song in my sets. I always described them, especially Geogaddi, as edgy chill-out though which inspired my sets for a while in the terms of a subtle audio terrorism. No wonder my nights didn't do well

I, and one other person I know, would have been chuffed if a DJ kicked of his/her set with a bit of BOC!

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 13/4/2012 11:21:48 AM >

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI