Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz - 27/3/2012 2:04:56 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Whilst it has some good and some great moments, I always felt Demon Days was a little bit of a let down after the first album.

I think its actually less patchy than the début which has stuff like, Rock the House which is as bit rubbish.

I only just saw you had Southpaw Grammar in the list - I like it more than its reputation suggests (i,e that he'd lost it about here) but it still has a horrible habit of ruining good songs by putting a 4 minute drum solo in them, which frankly is something I would never have expected about Mozzer. As for the new artwork/tracklisting, apparently the artwork is because Morrissey realised about a week after it came out that the original artwork is really really ugly. I don't like the new tracklisting, mainly because I think Teachers... is a brillo opener, and it seems weird the other way around. That might be a used to it kinda thing though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 31
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz - 27/3/2012 2:21:06 PM   
rawlinson

We're talking about Mozza? Does that mean I can post this?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 32
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #28 - Butthole Surfers - 28/3/2012 1:40:44 PM   
rawlinson

I haven't heard that Surfers album, but I really like Locust Abortion Technician. Need to hear that Mos Def album.
Post #: 33
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #28 - Butthole Surfers - 29/3/2012 3:06:45 PM   
rawlinson

It's the only one I own, yeah. Another band I've meant to explore more from and never got round to it.
Post #: 34
RE: Gram's Top Song Project - now up: #026 - #028 Mos, ... - 30/3/2012 10:42:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

So I'm giving these a listen now and have done the first few so far. I do have a headache though, and that;s never a good time for new to try out new music.

Get In Or Get Out - The guy's voice annoyed me.

Sure Shot - Hip Hop and me go together like Rawlinson and Meryl Streep. saying that, I have Rapper's Delight on my Mp3 player. but this wasn't for me.

Join the Dots - Not bad. Like the musical sound of it.

Don't You See - Very listenable, but ask me about it in an hour and I wouldnt't recall a single thing about it.

Selling Out Is Giving Up - Shouty shouty. My headache has a slight throb to it now.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 35
RE: Gram's Top Song Project - now up: #026 - #028 Mos, ... - 30/3/2012 3:32:08 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I ceased listening to Queen 20 years ago. Were you and I to sign up for MixClub and got paired up...

I kinda want this to happen now.
Post #: 36
RE: Gram's Top Song Project - now up: #026 - #028 Mos, ... - 30/3/2012 4:36:32 PM   
rawlinson

I just want to read the venom filled reviews.
Post #: 37
RE: Gram's Top Song Project - now up: #026 - #028 Mos, ... - 30/3/2012 4:46:59 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Could there any more venom directed onwards Queen than what you alrayd think, Rawls? I'd be nice and Benton Fraser-like in my rejections of songs.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 38
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 30/3/2012 4:47:29 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Artist: Elbow

Augmented Album: Asleep in the Back (2001)
Augmentations = + Asleep in the Back, from 2002 re-release.

Song: "Red" - click for video

"You've been playing too rough lately"

A stunning debut from Elbow, and I'll say it now, an album they've never bettered. Actually, now I've written that aloud, I'm not 100% certain I believe it. Guess we'll see, if any more Elbow albums come up in this thread (they will).

Most of the tracks are fantastic, Any Day Now, Powder Blue, the beginning of Newborn (!), and I love Don't Mix Your Drinks and Coming Second. The version I got was the 2001 release, which was sans the also excellent title track, though for iPodular purposes, I now have that song shoehorned in artificially, as per the 2002 re-release.

The winner is Red, cos it's (still) sublime.

Completely agree.

Loved this album when it first came out & stuff on it still gets a play (newborn, powder blue, can't stop & scattered back & whites in particular).

Can't really be bothered with them now though.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 30/3/2012 4:48:26 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 39
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #37 - The Verve - 3/4/2012 12:37:11 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Pixies and Doolittle is an amazing album

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 3/4/2012 12:38:04 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 40
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 6:56:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5 more. Didn't like Kingdom of Rust or Wu-Gambinos, Dancehall Dub was OK, but The Conspirator and Belly Of The Whale are both grand.

Much more better!
Post #: 41
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 9:24:47 AM   
matty_b

I like the Editors, Pixies, Verve and Morrissey tracks from those.

Will have to listen to the others later.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 42
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 3/4/2012 11:21:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I'm glad someone likes the Quantic track, and it's good to see you have a degree of interest in Tom Waits, which would have surprised me a little were it not for your often positive comments in Larry's thread a while back.

I was surprised as well. I like him the gruff and growling songs of his, but a lot of that is probably down to the video of him matched to Cookie Monster

Much more better!
Post #: 43
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 4/4/2012 9:21:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I generally like REM. At least, I can;t think of any dislike but I could probably only name about a dozen songs. Not too keen on this one though. Bowie's good, didn't like All Caps or Flashback, and Morrisey can bugger off. La Ritournelle was great until the singing stated, and Reflection suffered from a similar problem but it grew on me and I've now heard it three times!

Much more better!
Post #: 44
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 4/4/2012 10:19:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

And... I was considering getting Mr Hood by KMD, the early 90s hip hop troupe that Doom was a member of, back when he was called Zev Love X...

Was listening to it on Spotify today, I'm going to have to buy it now.
Post #: 45
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 10/4/2012 3:58:34 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Cool, I take it it's good, then? I haven't checked it (any) out yet, but intend to.

I absolutely loved it, even the skits work, which is a rarity for a rap album. Definitely worth a listen on Spotify, especially as the cd/mp3 is on the pricey side.
Post #: 46
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #46 - Zion I - 12/4/2012 5:00:51 PM   
hubu_phonk

Frustratingly enough i was only able to stream half the album by Chris Clark via groove shark. I like it and its been too long since i glitched it up. I'll have to try and get my hands on the full album and give it a listen, good rec. Also Giogaddi, awesome album and was my entry point into BOC and track one was always a good first song in my sets. I always described them, especially Geogaddi, as edgy chill-out though which inspired my sets for a while in the terms of a subtle audio terrorism. No wonder my nights didn't do well

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk
Post #: 47
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #46 - Zion I - 13/4/2012 3:52:31 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well thank you so much But i'm loving your thread and other folks threads as i have a bad habit of having almost tunnel syndrome when it comes to music, so i try and break it up with checking out other albums posted and its refreshing to the ears, especially as i have an annoying audio tic of bypassing the popular/more well known music as i try and find the most rare and weird music i can get my sweaty little hands on But i know that being rare doesn't mean its good ( i explained this to a friend in the bar i work in, as he mentioned he would be weary of suggesting/playing albums to me as i seem to really know my music. I told him to wise the fuck up and said just because i play unheard of music it doesn't mean i'm a 'head' and told him i've never really listened to a load of bands even though i like what i know of them. It's strange why i'm like that but i need fok like him to wop out something great i wouldn't of naturally turned to, and loving it!!), and when i find that wee unheard of gem i just cream me knickers so it's worth sitting through loads of sometimes 'shit' music!

Aye i dug ol' Chris there. An artist i supported nearly ten years ago popped into my head afterwards but i can't put my hands on the album in my collection so far. He's called 'Hrvatski' and the album called 'swarm and dither'. It's not amaing by any means but there's some great beaty glitches on it, especially the one that sounds like marble madness. if i find it i'll try and send it to you, it's worth a listen if you haven't already.

here's a discogs link to the wee man http://www.discogs.com/Hrvatski-Swarm-Dither/release/62379

On the theme of checking out other posters albums and suggestions, i find it hard to do on a regular basis as i'm juggling family, work, film watching and onanism

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 13/4/2012 4:08:47 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 48
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #46 - Zion I - 13/4/2012 4:51:50 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

I'm just about to (blind) order a bunch of (mainly wonky and v cheap) albums and I see that there's a copy of that one going for a couple of quid via Amazon MP, although it is from the company who shall not be named, so I might chig off elsewhere, see if I can find it for decent ££ on eBay or summat (or else mebbe check em out on YaTube).

I love blind ordering, i sometimes just go on the cover for the craic and (thankfully) have never bought a proper stinker that often. Here's one for you. Get hold (of a cracked version?) of a programme called 'Replay'. it lets you copy as perfect as the origional off any stream site, like spotify and even pod casts. it will divide and name the track for you too!. Its handy but alas as i'm on a lynix sysytem i can't usre it any more

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 49
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #48 - Mulder - 13/4/2012 9:23:09 PM   
hubu_phonk

^ Feck, thats a blast from the past Great comp

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 50
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: Supplement #01 - Soundtrac... - 19/4/2012 12:46:39 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well first off there's only one killer soundtrack for me. This beaut
The whole album is fantastic, but if you're not hooked by the first two tracks Droge CX 9 & The Lions And The Cucumber you have no soul

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 51
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #55 - Skweee Tooth - 20/4/2012 3:31:34 AM   
hubu_phonk

^ Tidy comp. I was only able to half listen until everyone fucked off out the bar and left me on my own, but I like it and your song of choice has a bit of juice to it

For some reason two artists popped into my head, and even though how little they are to this comp of yours , if you don't know them already, you should give a listen. First up is gameboy gabbba freak DJ Scotch Egg and one of the only two albums I’ve heard by them, Schinder TM - Zoomer. They are worth a listen. I supported (badly) Schinder TM (the head line act was Christ who was dead on too) and they are brilliant live and good guys to boot.

Here's an album for ye if you haven't heard it. I found it on the work Spoptify a year or so ago, and judging by the Skweee Tooth might up your street. I found it totally by accident, as we only just got Spotify in, I simply cannot resist putting in dirty words and seeing what happens. So i found this offering (but I haven't checked to see if they Vol 2 ! ) it's great and sorry for the image size, it's all I can find. Hope you enjoy!

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 52
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #55 - Skweee Tooth - 20/4/2012 5:07:48 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

You've mentioned liking glitch and the ambient end of it - have you heard much skweee / chiptune stuff? I'm not gonna obsess about it and buy tons, but I've ordered a couple of albums by a couple of the (apparently) top skweee bods, and also a bit of chiptune and some other glitchy goodness.

Aye i was thinking of a wee dabble! keep it up i needs the good recs!

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 53
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #55 - Skweee Tooth - 23/4/2012 10:40:20 AM   
hubu_phonk

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 54
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #57 - Slugabed - 23/4/2012 3:42:33 PM   
hubu_phonk

Slugabed sounds very interesting. I'll have to try a bit of that out

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 55
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #059 - Eero Johannes - 23/4/2012 5:34:09 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

First listen = Blimey!

Well that's all i need It does sound right up my street indeed. So many news things to try out

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 56
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #059 - Eero Johannes - 24/4/2012 8:11:30 AM   
hubu_phonk

Ah well it seems i've missed the spot a bit there I will endeavour to find something that blows your tit's off, in a good way

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 57
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #059 - Eero Johannes - 24/4/2012 10:01:45 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

So not a total fail, hubu, but my tits are ready and waiting to be exploded if you have any further recs!

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 58
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 26/4/2012 9:32:58 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

The likes of Poison, Skid Row, Little Angels, Def Leppard, Ratt, Aerosmith, Guns & Roses, The Quireboys, Tesla and whoever the hell else I used to listen to, can still all fuck right off, though.

Those in bold are some of my favourite bands, so I will need to investigate the rest. Cheers!

I've followed the rest of this; unsurprisingly there's a lot of stuff I've never heard of. I do have that Bad Religion album though, which is pretty good although slightly lethargic in places, I find. Are some of their other albums better? I gave Suffer a spin once and thought it was decent enough.

Also, Pearl Jam Vs is marginally better than Ten, I reckon, but Ten is still superb. There's some cracking tunes on Vitalogy and No Code as well.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!
Post #: 59
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #070 - Kid Koala - 1/5/2012 6:49:41 PM   
hubu_phonk

^ Agree with you there Gram. ' Basin street Blues ' is for me, the gem of the album though. Actually. on a Koala grunt, i got a song years ago which i just adore for its awesome, heavy beatific vibe, but i never ventured to find the album it was on (it seems part of a mix). The track is called ' i like my beats hard '. It's belter

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 1/5/2012 6:52:02 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI