Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Albums - #012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Albums - #012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 20/3/2012 12:30:39 PM   
Gram123

Artist: David Bowie

Album: Diamond Dogs (1974)

Song: "We Are the Dead" - click for audio

"We feel that we are paper, choking on you nightly
They tell me 'Son, we want you. Be elusive, but don't walk far'."

My Dad was a big fan of Bowie in the 70s and early 80s, and as a kid, when I used to look through my folk's LPs and 7"s, Bowie was always an artist who stood out in that record collection, both musically and in terms of his look and the striking artwork. This album in particular, as the image of the chiemric canine Bowie and his bitches understandably freaked me out a bit.

I was tempted to "cheat" and have the 3-track suite Sweet Thing / Candidate / Sweet Thing (reprise) as my top choice, and I really like Big Brother too, but decided to stick with the song that was my favourite way back when.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 20/3/2012 1:38:42 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 31
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 20/3/2012 12:44:39 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Madvillain

Album: Madvillain (2004)

Song: "All Caps" - click for video

"All bets off! The Villain got the dice rigged
And they say he accosted the man with the sliced wig"

Madvillian's album and MF DOOM in general, seem to have been revelatory for a lot of people, and the short chorus-free tracks, supervillain samples, and Dumile's consistent, laid-back intonation and flow do indeed give the hip hop a different feel from chart-botherers and old-schoolers alike. As a consequence of the style, the tracks that I prefer are more dependent on the underlying samples and loops than they perhaps might be on a more conventional hip hop album.

All Caps wins. Accordian, Money Folder and Strange Ways were the other contenders.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 32
Gram's Top Song Project: #14 - The Arsonists - 20/3/2012 5:14:18 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Various

Album: Mr. Scruff Presents: Keep it Solid Steel (2004)

Song: The Arsonists — "Flashback" - click for audio

So, we've had the first Various album, in the shape of Dub Chill Out, and now we have the first DJ mix album of the list, this all-round superb set by Mr. Scruff for Ninja Tune's "Solid Steel" series. It's one of my favourite mix albums, blending dancehall, 80s and 90s US and UK hip hop, breakbeat, and peppered here and there with some electro, funk, soul and jazz. Almost every track is a winner. In fact if this 31-track album was a penalty shoot out, the score would have reached 15 — 14 to the Odds, when Soul II Soul step up for the Evens and sky their shot horribly, only for the Pharoah Sanders for the Odds to put the ball on the spot... and blast a fucking hole in the back of the net. Game over 16 — 14.

Practically impossible to decide on a bestest track, and whatever I choose it won't really be representative of the album as a whole. From the Mungo's Hi-Fi's opening gambit, through Erykah Badu's surprisingly cool track, UTD (feat. Mos Def), Ultramagnetic MC's, Mad Kap's Dopest Verse, Luis Enriquez' track presumably lifted from some the soundtrack of some cool Italian 70s movie, Showbiz & A.G., Lords of the Underground, Border Crossing, Little Miss Trinitron... man, it's all good, and sweetly mixed by the Scruffy one.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 33
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #14 - The Arsonists - 20/3/2012 11:38:49 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Madvillian is amazing, and yep, it'd be a toss-up between All Caps and Accordian for me as well.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 34
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #14 - The Arsonists - 21/3/2012 10:33:11 AM   
matty_b

Bowie is awesome. Great song.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 35
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #14 - The Arsonists - 21/3/2012 3:42:09 PM   
Gram123

I figure my tastes in music aren't gonna match very well with other people, cos I like a fairly odd variety of things, but hopefully some people will like some of my choices and others will like others, so we get some kinda sexy venn diagrams with me sat in the middle, smiling knowingly and arching an eyebrow.

brooksy & matty's posts above = case in point.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 3:57:59 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Tool

Album: Lateralus (2001)

Song: "Reflection" - click for audio

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical"

Tool are, what, progressive alt rock or something? Well, by this point they were, anyway, with epic 9 minute tracks, odd time signatures, philosophical and spiritual themes and an evident interest in mathematics. I find it a little less accessible than their earlier, punchier stuff, but there's still enjoyment to be had in the sweeping, murky tones, dark chugging bass lines, and haunting guitar and vocals.

Reflection wins.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 21/3/2012 10:44:32 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 37
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 5:37:01 PM   
rawlinson

Love early R.E.M., Bowie and the Madvillain track (the video is fantastic too) Tool are good too.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 38
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 10:50:31 PM   
Gram123

The fact that this list has already had several hits for you surprises me a little, rawls! Especially you liking Tool, who some people would class as metal...
Yeah, the Madvillain video is aces!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 39
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 11:05:55 PM   
rawlinson

I do like some metal. I like some of most kinds of music. I think when I dislike a metal album or song, I dislike it even more than I would most other kinds of music. But that comes from a built in reaction from growing up alongside people who insist that metal is the only kind of music worth listening to, just as action films are the only kind of films worth watching. Not to say all metal (or action film fans) are that way (my closest friend is mad about both) but the biggest music snobs I've ever met have all been the ones who insist metal is the only true music.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 40
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #16 - Morrissey - 21/3/2012 11:24:09 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Morrissey

Augmented Album: Southpaw Grammar (1995)
Augmentations = + Boxers single A-side

Song: "Boxers" - click for video

"Your weary wife is walking away."

For reasons long forgotten or unknown, I stopped picking up Moz albums after Your Arsenal, and only bought the rest (en masse) a couple of years ago, giving me a somewhat overwhelming 6 albums of previously unheard material (aside from catching the odd single when it happened to be on the radio, and I happened to be unable to not listen to the radio). Southpaw isn't exactly my favourite of his albums - indeed, it suffered the greatest cull of all the Moz albums when it came to transferring the tracks to mi-Pod - but it does have a few good songs.

For the winner's medal, it was either gonna be The Boy Racer or Do Your Best and Don't Worry, but to be honest, I prefer the non-album single Boxers over both.

I see the album has since been re-mastered and re-released, with some extra tracks. For any Moz fans, does this improve the record? Is it worth getting the newer version?
And is there a reason for the artwork change? Or rather, is there a reason that the original cover was the only Morrissey album to not have his mug on the cover? The original cover was very obviously intended to look like The Smiths records, so I highly doubt it was Moz's choice.

---

* AMENDMENT *
Just as I am willing to merrily cull the tracks I don't particularly like from the albums on miPod, so will I add tracks that would be otherwise cast adrift or stuck onto some weird made-up hodge-podge compilation album. These songs may be b-sides to singles from the album, or remixes of album tracks, or in some cases, a song that was released as a single around the same time, but does not appear on any studio album that I own.
I decided late in the day that these songs should be allowed to "win" - i.e. be declared my favourite from the album. This is not a thread about the albums available in the shops, it's about the albums on miPod, they way I've organised them. I will note at the top of each post whether an album has had supplementary tracks tacked on, and what they are.

As such, The Boy Racer is deposed. Boxers is the usurper.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 25/5/2012 10:43:29 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 41
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 11:51:33 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
I like some of most kinds of music.
I think when I dislike a metal album or song, I dislike it even more than I would most other kinds of music. But that comes from a built in reaction from growing up alongside people who insist that metal is the only kind of music worth listening to, just as action films are the only kind of films worth watching. Not to say all metal (or action film fans) are that way (my closest friend is mad about both) but the biggest music snobs I've ever met have all been the ones who insist metal is the only true music.

Which a) makes sense to me when looking at the vast array of films you watch and enjoy; b) is obiously the best way to be as a fan of music, as it means you're willing to give anything a go; and c) means you'll probably be better placed than most to appreciate the tracks I come up with in this daft list.

I like to think I, too, can find something to like in most music genres, and certainly I would voraciously scour the record collections of my mates and late night MTV2 and certain pirate radio stations and the songs playing in weird nightclubs, for new and interesting things when I was younger.

It's harder now, as I have responsibilities and free time is v. limited and most of my mates have families / live miles away / stopped buying weird albums! Now it's up to the likes of this place and YouTube recs and blind chance to provide me with lists of artists who I ought to listen to, and that lack of focus means that now, there seems to be literally billions of things that might be worth checking out, rather than handfuls of things that probably are.

My point a) above, I bring up because I think there is often a strong connection between what films a person watches and what music they listen to. I don't mean, you liked Jon Bon Jovi's performance in Young Guns II, so you probably like Bon Jovi albums. I just mean if you're open to all sorts, you're open to all sorts. If you mainly watch the blockbuster movies, it wouldn't surprise me if you mainly liked chart music. Ergo, ipso facto, If you mainly listen to metal, it wouldn't surprise me if you mainly like action films (or maybe substitute horrors).

I'm pretty open to watching all kinds of movies, but I'm (obviously) a fan of genre films. And I think there's probably a link there, with my enjoyments past and present of non-mainstream (some, oft-derided) music genres.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 21/3/2012 11:53:35 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 22/3/2012 12:51:42 AM   
rawlinson

I remember reading a blog ages ago where someone was infuriated because people kept assuming that his love of horror would extend to a love of death metal and he kept getting recommended all these really heavy bands to listen to.

quote:

I like to think I, too, can find something to like in most music genres, and certainly I would voraciously scour the record collections of my mates and late night MTV2 and certain pirate radio stations and the songs playing in weird nightclubs, for new and interesting things when I was younger.

It's harder now, as I have responsibilities and free time is v. limited and most of my mates have families / live miles away / stopped buying weird albums! Now it's up to the likes of this place and YouTube recs and blind chance to provide me with lists of artists who I ought to listen to, and that lack of focus means that now, there seems to be literally billions of things that might be worth checking out, rather than handfuls of things that probably are.

It was easier when I was first getting into music, I think, because the internet hadn't really taken off, and most of the people I was in school with were devoted to Bon Jovi/Bryan Adams/Def Leppard, etc. Most of my recs at the time were coming from the NME and Melody Maker. I remember radio one doing a top 100 albums of all time countdown, and I'm fairly sure Simply Red was number one for Stars. Then the NME did a top 50 albums for each decade from the 60s to the 80s, and I tracked down so many great albums as a result. And that kind of led into Britpop, and as backwards looking and conservative as much of britpop actually was, it threw up a lot of bands who I became interested in checking out. Now the internet has made everything so much more available, I can't find the time to listen to everything I want to, but at the same time, I feel like I'm being less adventurous in my explorations because I'm no longer stumbling onto things in the same way.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 43
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 22/3/2012 6:27:41 PM   
hubu_phonk

I'm pretty much the same here with different responsibilities with work and family but trying my hand at a forum is starting to set my listening to music more in action, and finding other folk who either like my stuff or throw great recommendations my way. I still keep my hand in collecting via youtube with those handy recs on the side (which has help me bump into some fantastic artists/songs) and the other best resource i use, even though i've been out the way of using it for a while, is last fm. It has a fantastic data base which you can just type in 'folk-funk' or the like and will splash out some never heard artists. Great wee thread by the way

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 44
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 22/3/2012 7:41:33 PM   
Gram123

quote:

Now the internet has made everything so much more available, I can't find the time to listen to everything I want to, but at the same time, I feel like I'm being less adventurous in my explorations because I'm no longer stumbling onto things in the same way.

So we're agreed. The internet is a bad thing!

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk
I'm pretty much the same here with different responsibilities with work and family but trying my hand at a forum is starting to set my listening to music more in action, and finding other folk who either like my stuff or throw great recommendations my way. I still keep my hand in collecting via youtube with those handy recs on the side (which has help me bump into some fantastic artists/songs) and the other best resource i use, even though i've been out the way of using it for a while, is last fm. It has a fantastic data base which you can just type in 'folk-funk' or the like and will splash out some never heard artists.

I've really neglected my muisc collection of late, and whilst I have been looking at the odd new artists here and there (some, very odd!), it's mainly unfocused dabbling, or just expanding out from what I've got already - e.g. if I really like a track on a good DJ mix album I've got, I'll sometimes go and pick up an album by that artist. That's fine and all, but it's not like the old days when new mates would have completely different tastes in music to me, so I'd be introduced to a whole fresh seam of fried gold.

quote:

Great wee thread by the way

Ah, thank you, sir (/ madam / other)! I'm really enjoying getting back into listening to my albums. Will almost certainly mean I have to dump some podcasts, if I'm to keep up this rate, but I definitely think it's worth it.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 45
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #17 - Sébastien Tellier - 22/3/2012 7:57:55 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Various

Album: LateNightTales: The Cinematic Orchestra (2010)

Song: Sébastien Tellier "La Ritournelle" - click for audio

Speaking of DJ mixes introducing me to new artists, this beautiful mix album has some excellent tracks from artists I would probably have never listened to, had I not been a fan of The Cinematic Orchestra, including Nick Drake's Three Hours, Terry Callier's You're Goin' Miss Your Candyman and The Freedom Sounds' Behold the Day. The album also has a couple of things I'm already well aware of, in the shape of Thom Yorke and Björk, and you probably wouldn't have thought it, but this diverse array of artists sit nicely next to one another, along with the likes of Imogen Heap, Eddie Gale, DJ Food and Burt Bacharach.

Top prize goes to this amazing track from French artsist, Sébastien Tellier. As far as I've so far been able to fathom, his other stuff seems to be quite jokey and not really like this song at all. A shame if that's the case, but if anyone can tell me he's done other songs that are as lovely as this, then I'll be most pleased.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 22/3/2012 7:58:23 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 46
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #17 - Sébastien Tellier - 22/3/2012 8:12:02 PM   
hubu_phonk

^ I've been meaning to get that series. Fourtet has done one i think. Yup those type of wee mixes have go me into some great pieces of music and new artists. The last one i got hold of was 'dirty space disco' by the dirty sound system dj's. Some great disco gems and how i found one of my favourite songs

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 22/3/2012 8:13:44 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 47
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #17 - Sébastien Tellier - 23/3/2012 9:24:02 AM   
Gram123

quote:

^ I've been meaning to get that series. Fourtet has done one i think. Yup those type of wee mixes have go me into some great pieces of music and new artists. The last one i got hold of was 'dirty space disco' by the dirty sound system dj's. Some great disco gems and how i found one of my favourite songs

There'll be more from the LateNightTales / AnotherLateNight (and a couple of other DJ mix series) as this thread goes on. There are now 28 albums in the series, and I think I have 10 or 11, mainly picked up because I already liked the artists doing the DJing. Most are very good and consistent, though I haven't listened to any of the ones by indie artists like Belle & Sebastian, Arctic Monkeys, MGMT, Flaming Lips etc.
Yeah, there was one by Four Tet, though it's not one I've heard, and the track selection looks a bit odd / not what you'd expect.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 23/3/2012 10:06:18 AM >

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 48
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #18 - Lamb - 23/3/2012 10:01:50 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Lamb

Album: What Sound (2001)

Song: "Gabriel" - click for video

Lamb's 3rd album is a loved-up affair, and gentler, and more mainstream than it's more leftfield predecessors - there's only snatches of the drum & bassy breaks they'd become known for throughout this album, and it feels like Andy Barlow's DJ production and electric upright bass don't really get a proper workout aside from in the instrumental Scratch Bass. Lou Rhodes distinctive voice is of course still in evidence, sweet and muted at times, low and passionate at others. 

Gabriel is the album's absolute standout song - on early listens it made the hairs on the back of my neck fall off. It's semi-popularity as a single, and my missus' penchant for it have meant perhaps too many subsequent listens, dampening that initial thrill, but it's still a lovely song and would sit quite nicely on a compilation after Monsieur Tellier's track in the last round.
Title track What Sound comes a respectable (but not that close) second, and other tracks like One, Heaven and Written and the aforementioned instrumental trot along in the trailing pack.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 49
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #19 - Manics - 24/3/2012 12:49:36 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Manic Street Preachers

Album: Know Your Enemy (2001)

Song: "Found That Soul" - click for video

"Not a subject, not a subject am I
Sick and pale, but strangely alive"

When Everything Must Go was released in '96, I lost interest in the Manics. The song everyone seemed to rate, A Design For Life, for me signified the end of the band I'd previously loved. My position was (and often still is) akin to the Sick Boy "everyone who has it, loses it" mould. It took me a good few years before I gave the later Manics albums a chance, and when I did, like a fair number of other bands in this project, I found I appreciated some tracks, but really wasn't arsed about a lot of the others. Just 6 of the 16 or 17 tracks on the album survived to my iPod, and whilst I do like 5 of those 6 a lot (and one, Ocean Spray, rather less so...), I'm aware that I've decimated the record and any hope of album flow and continuity that goes with it. But fuck it, why listen to the songs you don't particularly like?

I really like The Convalescent and it was very nearly top choice, but Found That Soul just feels like the Manics of days gone by, the guitar riff putting me in mind of the Gold Against the Soul era, and thus sneaks a win.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 24/3/2012 2:40:19 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 50
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 1:18:33 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Flight of the Conchords

Album: Flight of the Conchords (2008)

Song: "Inner City Pressure"  - click for song as performed on the TV show

"You know you're not in high finance,
Considering second-hand underpants"

I grew up hating comedy music. Or rather, the shitty music numbers that would fill space on prime time, mainstream TV sketch shows like Russ Abbot's Madhouse or The Grumbleweeds, or in those TV shows that gave a spot to the likes of Richard Digance, Jasper Carrot or whoever. It would bore me rigid and irk me senseless. This hatred tarnished my later enjoyment of things like Python's Eric the Half-a-Bee, John Cleese singing about Rhubarb Tarts and a handful of songs by The Goodies, especially Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me. Then more mainstream comedy like French & Saunders came along and put me back to square alpha. Later still, the likes of John Shuttleworth, Smack the Pony and The Mighty Boosh made comedic songs that weren't entirely shite, but were still not the sort of things I'd want to own and listen to.

Flight of the Conchords changed that. Here we had a comedy duo who appeared to also be proper musicians, who constructed songs like songs rather than like structures for some shoddy rhymes, and who spent time getting them right, rather than rushing something for next week's show. The Boosh came close, but their songs don't bear many repeat listens and are a lot less funny without the context of the show. The Conchords, particularly on this album, are clearly a different animal. Most every track still makes me smile. My favourite track could have easily been any of Hiphopopotamus Vs. Rhymenoceros, Business Time or Bowie.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 24/3/2012 1:24:31 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 51
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 1:30:56 AM   
rawlinson

This wouldn't be my fave Conchords song on the album, but this bit

So you think maybe you'll be a prostitute.
Just to pay for your lessons, you're learning the flute.
Ladies wouldn't pay you very much for this.
Looks like you'll never be a concert flautist.

Is fucking killer.

The Boosh is mostly wank though. 30 minutes of random monkey whimsy a week.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 52
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #21 - CoCa - 24/3/2012 2:35:01 AM   
Gram123

Artist: Coheed And Cambria

Made-up Album: Best of Coheed and Cambria (20022005)

Song: "Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)" - click for audio

"You'll listen to reason while you're face down in the dirt.
You'll stomach the hurt and break for him here just how much he's worth"

Right. I was waiting for this to happen... If you read the opening post, you'll have seen me banging on about my iPod OCD. Well, here we have another example of that disorder. Say I have two (or more) albums where I've culled most of the tracks, leaving 4 or fewer songs per album, I won't add these to my iPod as albums. It would be churlish to do so! For convenience, I'll bunch them together and call them a "Best Of". I may also add b-sides, remixes or whatever, and, say I have another album by that artist more or less intact on the iPod, which may have a few of the band's best songs on it, well, those songs will definitely not appear on my made-up Best Of album, because I don't have any duplicated tracks (* except under certain conditions). Ok?

This, then, is not an official Best Of Coheed And Cambria, it's just my selection of my favourite songs from their first 3 albums. Ok, fine, you might say, whatever. Ah, but wait. If there's one band who you probably should not make a compilation album, it's Coheed And Cambria. Each of their (now 6) studio albums are concept albums. Missing tracks out loses parts of the plot. And the albums are all the same concept... The songs on all the band's albums are based on a comic book series called Amory Wars, which was written by the lead singer, Claudio Sanchez.

I realise at this point that there is no way my words can sell the band to the uninitiated. It sounds like a horrible geek-fest, which I'm sure would be fascinating for a 17-year old sci fi nut. The concept of the comic, and therefore the songs, is a definitely-adult space saga. So comics featuring war, space travel, murder, rape, ghosts, robots, people inhabiting other bodies, heroes, villains and a variety of fucked up people, and then the albums are about these characters and situations. There's just so much potential for Coheed and Cambria to be shite, but really, they're not. The music is, I suppose progressive post-hardcore, which just sounds like I'm complicating things. Basically, prog mixed with alt rock, metal and pop punk. They were apparently infludenced by At The Drive In, but I know precious little of that band, so that helps me none. Coheed sometimes get lumped in with the post-hardcore bands, or get classed as emo, or come under the unfathomable label of nu prog. But these labels do the band a disservice, I think. They're unique, they have some great guitar riffs, epic songs and Sanchez's vocals are quite extraordinary, and change or are effects-laden when he sings in the voices of different characters. Aargh. I can't make them sound good! But really they are worthy of a listen, particularly if you're a fan of guitar-led music and don't mind a bit of prog. Going through my little 12-track Best Of, I figure not only do I need to check out the later albums, but I also need to give the first three a fresh spin to hear those long-forgotten tracks that didn't make it.

Best song could have been Cuts Marked In The March Of Men, Al the Killer or A Favour House Atlantic, or possibly a couple of others, but I've gone with Three Evils for its uptempo accessibility.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 15/4/2012 12:08:21 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 53
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 2:37:39 AM   
Gram123

quote:

This wouldn't be my fave Conchords song on the album, but this bit

So you think maybe you'll be a prostitute.
Just to pay for your lessons, you're learning the flute.
Ladies wouldn't pay you very much for this.
Looks like you'll never be a concert flautist.

Is fucking killer.

I just really like the way they've done the Pet Shop Boys parody. I very nearly chose Bowie. There's a great deal to like on the FOTC album.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 54
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 2:40:51 AM   
hubu_phonk

This wee song awlays cracks me up..

especially with lyrics like

"In the buff being rude
doin' stuff with the food
getting lude with his food
we heard that's what you are into"

http://youtu.be/UNBD2sBT5F0

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 24/3/2012 2:41:36 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 9:29:15 AM   
matty_b

I've always said Know Your Enemy would be a very good album if they'd stripped it down to maybe ten songs - far too much filler at 17. Probably their second weakest album after Lifeblood.

Found That Soul is decent, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 56
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 9:59:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Conchords! First one so far I know (I will listen to all the others when I have time), and a great choice. Not sure if it's my favourite from the album but there are all good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 57
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 8:15:00 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
I've always said Know Your Enemy would be a very good album if they'd stripped it down to maybe ten songs - far too much filler at 17. Probably their second weakest album after Lifeblood.

Found That Soul is decent, though.

Cheers matty, I think this legitimises my ruthless scything of the album!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
Conchords! First one so far I know (I will listen to all the others when I have time), and a great choice. Not sure if it's my favourite from the album but there are all good.

I'm semi-surprised that you haven't heard the Beastie Boys track, or the Doves one. Maybe you have but don't know it.
Anyway, I'd be chuffed if you, and anyone else, listened to some of the songs they don't already know and gave their thoughts, however concise.

I'm carrying on apace for the time being, two more entries following shortly, making it 23 albums played in 10 days (which isn't that much if you're 18-24 [?!] and single, but feels like quite a lot now that I'm <cough-ty cough> and have missus, child, house, financial worries, stupid job, relatives who need attention, a car that's costing me a fortune, and so forth). By the time you have time to listen through them, there may be a bunch more...

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 58
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #22 - One Self - 24/3/2012 8:57:09 PM   
Gram123

Artist: One Self

Album: Children of Possibility (2005)

Song: "Fear the Labour" - click for audio

"Condemned to wander through, as an immortal, accompanied by nothing other than my footprints,
You can only make so many before the storms form and erase the way that you came"

DJ Vadim's Hip Hop outfit, One Self, features male and female rappers in the form of Blu Rum 13 and Yarah Bravo. Both have a laid back style complimenting Vadim's downtempo somewhat world-influenced samples (well, he is Russian), and the triumverate produce music that is distinct and interesting. Bravo probably has the more affecting voice, and it was a toss-up between one of the tracks she fronts, Bluebird, and this track showcasing Blu Rum's Pharcyde-esque vocals.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 27/3/2012 9:43:33 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 59
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 24/3/2012 9:19:41 PM   
Gram123

Artist: Elbow

Augmented Album: Asleep in the Back (2001)
Augmentations = + Asleep in the Back, from 2002 re-release.

Song: "Red" - click for video

"You've been playing too rough lately"

A stunning debut from Elbow, and I'll say it now, an album they've never bettered. Actually, now I've written that aloud, I'm not 100% certain I believe it. Guess we'll see, if any more Elbow albums come up in this thread (they will).

Most of the tracks are fantastic, Any Day Now, Powder Blue, the beginning of Newborn (!), and I love Don't Mix Your Drinks and Coming Second. The version I got was the 2001 release, which was sans the also excellent title track, though for iPodular purposes, I now have that song shoehorned in artificially, as per the 2002 re-release.

The winner is Red, cos it's (still) sublime.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 28/3/2012 10:19:07 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Albums - #012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI