Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> . Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
. - 14/3/2012 2:24:57 AM   
Gram123

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 12/5/2014 2:45:03 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project
Post #: 1
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Albums - 14/3/2012 2:34:26 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I'm looking forward to this quite a lot Gram It shall be interesting

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Albums - 14/3/2012 2:43:36 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

The reason for the project is thus: In the olden days, pre-iPod, I used to know every album I owned inside and out. Even when I got to several hundred albums. When I got my first mp3 player, a Creative Zen, I didn't have the facility to play it in the car, so I still used to heft 8 or 10 CDs around with me at a time, listen through them whilst commuting and then swap them out for the next stack. Things changed in the mid-2000s. I moved in with the Missus123, my Creative player suffered ill health and was put out to pasture, I got a 60Gb iPod, and I started buying albums via download as well as CD.

At some point I found myself listening to new albums once, shoving them on the iPod and then forgetting about them. Everything began to get lost to the Grand Shuffle, and worse still for my music consumption, the Shuffle lost a lot of air-time to the comedy podcast. I no longer knew my music collection well. I couldn't easily conjure great tracks from more recently acquired albums. At present there are something like 7,000 songs in my Never Played playlist. This is not right and must be rectified.

Are you me and I just forgot about it?

Really looking forward to this, expecting to get lots of recs.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Albums - 14/3/2012 2:54:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Sounds like fun! I fully expect to have heard about 1% of the songs you post

Good luck!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 14/3/2012 5:53:07 PM   
matty_b

I like the Chali song.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 5
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 15/3/2012 10:25:37 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
I like the Chali song.

Nice one. Are you a big hip hop fan, matty?
There'll be more from both Chali 2na and Roots Manuva in one form or another as this thread progresses.

No, not really, which is why I was quite surprised I liked it.

Kingdom of Rust is ace. I'd probably pick The Outsiders as the best song on that album, though.

quote:

Post #: 6
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 15/3/2012 1:21:33 PM   
rawlinson

Really like Beastie Boys, Chali and Doves. Hot Hot Heat didn't make much of an impression. Didn't listen to the Rob Smith one yet. Started playing Rise Against, started laughing about five seconds in and had to switch it off.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 15/3/2012 1:38:49 PM   
Rhubarb

I forgot about Hot Hot Heat! BANDAGES BANDAGES BANDAGES, BANDAGES BANDAGES, BAND-A-GES etc.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 8
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 15/3/2012 9:38:35 PM   
tommyjarvis

Interesting. Are you going to do all those hair metal albums like in your last thread? It was thanks to that that I got into Mötley Crüe, Skid Row et al

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 9
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 16/3/2012 12:18:55 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
Kingdom of Rust is ace. I'd probably pick The Outsiders as the best song on that album, though.

Fair do's, The Outsiders is a class tune, too, actually.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
Really like Beastie Boys, Chali and Doves. Hot Hot Heat didn't make much of an impression. Didn't listen to the Rob Smith one yet. Started playing Rise Against, started laughing about five seconds in and had to switch it off.

Ah well, each to his own on the Rise Against track. I got into loads of punk back when I was a student. Haven't picked up a lot recently, and I don't image I would, save for new releases from my top couple of favourite punk artists. But I still enjoy listening to the stuff I'm well acquainted with. I guess it can be a bit po-faced or overly earnest at times, and accompanied by loud fast guitar and shouty vocals I suppose it's not too dissimilar to metal in that regard.
There'll be plenty more opportunities for you to laugh and switch off, as this goes on!

It's a built-in reaction because my best friend is an absolute metal-head, and there's been so many times he's lent me a similar sounding album and told me "You'll really like this one" and I usually end up laughing and switching it off.

quote:

The likes of Poison, Skid Row, Little Angels, Def Leppard, Ratt, Aerosmith, Guns & Roses, The Quireboys, Tesla and whoever the hell else I used to listen to, can still all fuck right off, though.

quote:

By the way, can I ask any Waits fans... When you sing along to a Tom Waits song, particularly one like this where he's at full roar, do you sing in your normal voice, or immitate him (and probably end up coughing and spluttering)?

Yep, full imitation. I even do it sometimes when I'm not singing a Waits song.
Post #: 10
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 16/3/2012 12:23:56 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

By the way, can I ask any Waits fans... When you sing along to a Tom Waits song, particularly one like this where he's at full roar, do you sing in your normal voice, or immitate him (and probably end up coughing and spluttering)?

Yep, full imitation. I even do it sometimes when I'm not singing a Waits song.

Agree with Rawls here - you have to go for a full imitation. Especially if you're in a public place.

< Message edited by MovieAddict247 -- 16/3/2012 12:24:10 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 11
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 16/3/2012 12:29:50 AM   
MonsterCat

Yay for Beastie Boys.

Doves are a fine band indeed. Kingdom of Rust is a particular favourite of mine.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 12
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 16/3/2012 12:40:17 AM   
MonsterCat

I tend to get the urge to plunge knitting needles into my ears when I'm listening to Bjork.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 13
RE: My Favourite Song on each of my Top 900 or so Album... - 16/3/2012 12:30:23 PM   
rawlinson

I'd go with Liquid Swords > Tical > Cuban Links, but it's a magnificent album. Shame Ice Cream wasn't your track of choice though.
Post #: 14
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #14 - The Arsonists - 20/3/2012 11:38:49 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Madvillian is amazing, and yep, it'd be a toss-up between All Caps and Accordian for me as well.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 15
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #14 - The Arsonists - 21/3/2012 10:33:11 AM   
matty_b

Bowie is awesome. Great song.

quote:

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 16
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 5:37:01 PM   
rawlinson

Love early R.E.M., Bowie and the Madvillain track (the video is fantastic too) Tool are good too.
Post #: 17
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 21/3/2012 11:05:55 PM   
rawlinson

I do like some metal. I like some of most kinds of music. I think when I dislike a metal album or song, I dislike it even more than I would most other kinds of music. But that comes from a built in reaction from growing up alongside people who insist that metal is the only kind of music worth listening to, just as action films are the only kind of films worth watching. Not to say all metal (or action film fans) are that way (my closest friend is mad about both) but the biggest music snobs I've ever met have all been the ones who insist metal is the only true music.
Post #: 18
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 22/3/2012 12:51:42 AM   
rawlinson

I remember reading a blog ages ago where someone was infuriated because people kept assuming that his love of horror would extend to a love of death metal and he kept getting recommended all these really heavy bands to listen to.

quote:

I like to think I, too, can find something to like in most music genres, and certainly I would voraciously scour the record collections of my mates and late night MTV2 and certain pirate radio stations and the songs playing in weird nightclubs, for new and interesting things when I was younger.

It's harder now, as I have responsibilities and free time is v. limited and most of my mates have families / live miles away / stopped buying weird albums! Now it's up to the likes of this place and YouTube recs and blind chance to provide me with lists of artists who I ought to listen to, and that lack of focus means that now, there seems to be literally billions of things that might be worth checking out, rather than handfuls of things that probably are.

It was easier when I was first getting into music, I think, because the internet hadn't really taken off, and most of the people I was in school with were devoted to Bon Jovi/Bryan Adams/Def Leppard, etc. Most of my recs at the time were coming from the NME and Melody Maker. I remember radio one doing a top 100 albums of all time countdown, and I'm fairly sure Simply Red was number one for Stars. Then the NME did a top 50 albums for each decade from the 60s to the 80s, and I tracked down so many great albums as a result. And that kind of led into Britpop, and as backwards looking and conservative as much of britpop actually was, it threw up a lot of bands who I became interested in checking out. Now the internet has made everything so much more available, I can't find the time to listen to everything I want to, but at the same time, I feel like I'm being less adventurous in my explorations because I'm no longer stumbling onto things in the same way.
Post #: 19
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #15 - Tool - 22/3/2012 6:27:41 PM   
hubu_phonk

I'm pretty much the same here with different responsibilities with work and family but trying my hand at a forum is starting to set my listening to music more in action, and finding other folk who either like my stuff or throw great recommendations my way. I still keep my hand in collecting via youtube with those handy recs on the side (which has help me bump into some fantastic artists/songs) and the other best resource i use, even though i've been out the way of using it for a while, is last fm. It has a fantastic data base which you can just type in 'folk-funk' or the like and will splash out some never heard artists. Great wee thread by the way

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #17 - Sébastien Tellier - 22/3/2012 8:12:02 PM   
hubu_phonk

^ I've been meaning to get that series. Fourtet has done one i think. Yup those type of wee mixes have go me into some great pieces of music and new artists. The last one i got hold of was 'dirty space disco' by the dirty sound system dj's. Some great disco gems and how i found one of my favourite songs

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 22/3/2012 8:13:44 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

Post #: 21
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 1:30:56 AM   
rawlinson

This wouldn't be my fave Conchords song on the album, but this bit

So you think maybe you'll be a prostitute.
Just to pay for your lessons, you're learning the flute.
Ladies wouldn't pay you very much for this.
Looks like you'll never be a concert flautist.

Is fucking killer.

The Boosh is mostly wank though. 30 minutes of random monkey whimsy a week.
Post #: 22
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 2:40:51 AM   
hubu_phonk

This wee song awlays cracks me up..

especially with lyrics like

"In the buff being rude
doin' stuff with the food
getting lude with his food
we heard that's what you are into"

http://youtu.be/UNBD2sBT5F0

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 24/3/2012 2:41:36 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 9:29:15 AM   
matty_b

I've always said Know Your Enemy would be a very good album if they'd stripped it down to maybe ten songs - far too much filler at 17. Probably their second weakest album after Lifeblood.

Found That Soul is decent, though.

quote:

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 24
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 9:59:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Conchords! First one so far I know (I will listen to all the others when I have time), and a great choice. Not sure if it's my favourite from the album but there are all good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 25
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 24/3/2012 10:18:22 PM   
matty_b

Why only the beginning of Newborn?

You're right though, Red is a sublime song. I don't think it's their best album though, I'd put Leaders of the Free World as that.

quote:

Post #: 26
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #20 - FOTC - 24/3/2012 10:25:49 PM   
rawlinson

Got the Madvillain album on the strength of its appearance here and I'm absolutely loving it.
Post #: 27
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #23 - Elbow - 26/3/2012 2:39:17 PM   
matty_b

Fair enough, it's not very video friendly a seven minute single, is it?

quote:

Post #: 28
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz - 26/3/2012 7:44:19 PM   
Rhubarb

I went to university in the summer of 2005 (fucking hell) and everyone, EVERYONE loved Gorillaz, which was useful, as no matter whether they were generally into metal, hip-hoip, indie, dance, they all had that common ground, as a result I do have an even bigger fondness for Demon Days than I usually would a Damon Albarn project. Though El Maananananannana was my favourite back in "the day", Dare's amazing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 29
RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #24 - Gorillaz - 26/3/2012 10:31:51 PM   
tommyjarvis

Never really got into Gorillaz tbh. I liked Dare and Clint Eastwood but everything else seemed kind of nothing-ish.

Elbow I always found very dull, although in fairness this is based on listening to Seldom Seen Kid. I don't know much of their older stuff although Leaders Of The Free World is a good song.

Found That Soul is decent enough. I prefer Let Robeson Sing from that album though.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> . Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI