Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 20/9/2012 12:32:57 AM   
Olaf

So I was able to just open the zipped folder, copy the mp3s and paste them onto my hard drive (this only struck me as a really, really obvious solution after I'd thought of it). The tracklisting looks pretty excellent from a quick glance over - I have a longish trip tomorrow so I'll get a few listens in + post my thoughts at some point over the weekend.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 181
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 23/9/2012 7:58:41 PM   
Rhubarb

I finally posted your CD superdan

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 182
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 3:48:01 PM   
Olaf

my (belated) thoughts on moon's mix:

1. A Winged Victory For The Sullen, We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced...: been meaning to pick this album up for a while on account of being a big SOTL fan. Sounds like what I expected it to sound like I suppose, which isn't a bad thing. will have to get round to the rest at some point soon.
2. EST, Leucocyte AB Initio: my first listen to this mix was when I was just heading to bed, so this was quite jarring after the first track. Liked it though. (just to be sure though - it *is* the Russian EST rather than the Swedish one right?)
3. Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics, Chinese New Year: probably my favourite song on the mix. loved it.
4. Lindstrom, The Contemporary Fix: I love Lindstrom but I've never actually listened to the comp that this track comes from (I've mainly stuck to his collaborations and his more recent albums, so I'll have to dig in a bit more). This was fantastic though, managed to avoid feeling overlong by constantly shifting all over the place and bringing in loads of different elements.
5. Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer, Monopolists Democracy: Really enjoyed this as well (nice United States of America at their creepiest/Silver Apples vibe) but I can't find any useful information about the artist which sucks. As far as I can tell it's a remix by a Yugoslavian composer of an unreleased track by the band that followed Henry Cow, which means you've definitely out-obscured me
6. Royal Trux, Another Year: Still not sure if I liked this or not. I think I did? (also, maintaining the New Years theme of the mix)
7. Dumbo Gets Mad, Eclectic Prawn: took a while to get going but I was really enjoying it by the end.
8. White Denim, All You Really Have To Do: I keep meaning to investigate them more closely since I know you're a fan (I think I've only listened to Workout Holiday, which this track is from if I remember correctly).
9. Manfred Mann, One Way Glass: I can't put my finger on where I heard this recently and it's bugging me (I was briefly certain Public Enemy sampled it for that song on those Paralympics ads but then I remembered that was Shirley Bassey, which is totally an easy mistake to make). Other than that pretty nice, I think I have it on one of the Late Night Tales comps (Four Tet possibly?) so you've inspired me to get that out again.
10. John Renbourn, Faro Annie: I'm familiar with Pentangle (not as much as I should be) and Jansch but not Renbourn, so glad you included this. didn't really stand out on the first few listens but growing on me a lot. (plus, I learned from last.fm that I share my birthday with him, woo.)
11. Barn Owl, Temple of the Winds: in a strange instance of doublethink, I find this to be somehow both quasi-prog hippy new age bullshit *and* actually really quite engaging ambient psychedelia. strange.
12. Six Organs of Admittance, Coming To Get You: fantastic song. really didn't see the sharp change in tone the first time I listened, but it really works. I keep hearing the name but never been enthused enough to seek out more, but I probably will soon.
13. Shrinebuilder, Blind For All To See: the only song that really didn't work for me. Doesn't utilise the song length nearly as effectively as the other long songs in the mix did so it just sort of grinds into nothingness after a while.
14. Loop, Straight To Your Heart: I love Loop and I love this song. good choice (always love that mid-section breaking into the noisy closing minute-and-a-half).
15. Codeine, Atmosphere: I was slightly worried when I saw the song title on the tracklisting because I assumed it was a cover of the Joy Division song, which one of a very short mental checklist of unimpeachable masterpieces that I can't imagine anyone covering without making an utter hash of it. As such, imagine my surprise when it actually is a cover of the Joy Division song and it's actually brilliant. lovely way to finish off the mix.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 183
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 4:30:13 PM   
MonsterCat

Looks like I'll have to push back the deadline for this one.

Rebel Scum - Due to personal issues Hubu Phonk had to bow out of this round, and as I understand it he hadn't sent you your mix. If it's cool I'll take his place and we can swap playlists?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 184
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 4:33:16 PM   
Rebel scum

Yeah, he sent me a PM about it, I assumed everyone was already paired up and I'd just wait for the next round to start. I'm fine with sending it to you instead though, what format would you want it in (Spotify, CD?)

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 185
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 4:42:17 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Yeah, he sent me a PM about it, I assumed everyone was already paired up and I'd just wait for the next round to start. I'm fine with sending it to you instead though, what format would you want it in (Spotify, CD?)

Make it a CD, please. If you're fine with giving me your postal address, I'll do a mix CD today and have it out by Wednesday or Thursday.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 186
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 4:44:57 PM   
Rebel scum

Can do, PM incoming.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 187
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 4:52:14 PM   
MonsterCat

Replied!

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 188
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 4:54:22 PM   
Rebel scum

Thanks, I'll aim to send mine by tomorrow evening.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 189
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 5:25:47 PM   
superdan

Your mix arrived today Rhub. I've given it one listen already, will have another listen or two before posting my thoughts, probably tomorrow.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 190
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 8:12:00 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

2. EST, Leucocyte AB Initio: my first listen to this mix was when I was just heading to bed, so this was quite jarring after the first track. Liked it though. (just to be sure though - it *is* the Russian EST rather than the Swedish one right?)

It's the Swedish one, Esbjorn Svensson Trio, off the album Leucocyte, the first one released after he died. Basically the guy who runs the shop I buy most of my music from now is a massive fan of theirs and was playing that pretty consistently when it came out. Most of the stuff on this mix I bought from the same shop.

quote:

5. Stevan Kovacs Tickmayer, Monopolists Democracy: Really enjoyed this as well (nice United States of America at their creepiest/Silver Apples vibe) but I can't find any useful information about the artist which sucks. As far as I can tell it's a remix by a Yugoslavian composer of an unreleased track by the band that followed Henry Cow, which means you've definitely out-obscured me

Hah, my intention wasn't necessarily to out-obscure you, but it doesn't hurt. It's again the only album I own by Art Bears (the collection of unreleased and remixed tracks) and it's patchy but does have some great tracks on it. I will get round to getting a proper art bears or Henry Cow album one day.. one day.

quote:

15. Codeine, Atmosphere: I was slightly worried when I saw the song title on the tracklisting because I assumed it was a cover of the Joy Division song, which one of a very short mental checklist of unimpeachable masterpieces that I can't imagine anyone covering without making an utter hash of it. As such, imagine my surprise when it actually is a cover of the Joy Division song and it's actually brilliant. lovely way to finish off the mix.

I always find finishing a mix to be the most challenging part, you've got to find a tune that has some finality to it. I'm glad you enjoyed this track because it's always risky putting a cover of a song that you know the other person loves on there... thankfully it seems to have paid off.

I am glad you seemed to enjoy the mix overall and that not too much of it was familiar to you going into it. I will get round to posting some thoughts on yours before the next round!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 191
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 25/9/2012 8:58:44 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Am I any closer to receiving my mix lucky day?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 192
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 26/9/2012 12:24:31 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Your mix arrived today Rhub. I've given it one listen already, will have another listen or two before posting my thoughts, probably tomorrow.

Cool. My laptop is a bit dead at the moment, so i'll give yours a couple more listens over the next couple of days and really go through my thoughts as well.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 193
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 27/9/2012 12:32:38 PM   
superdan

Ok, had a few listens now and really enjoyed it. Thoughts:

1. Azealia Banks ft. Lazy Jay - 212
Fucking brilliant. reminds me of the sort of stuff I was throwing shapes to while off my chops in Tenerife and Malia in the late 90's in many ways. Only with, y'know, more cunt.

2. The Chi-Lites - Are You My Woman (Tell Me So)
Love a bit of funk and soul, and you can't go too far wrong with the Chi-Lites. Though I did think for a brief moment when it started you'd put Beyonce on

3. David Guetta - Love Don't Let Me Go
I love dance music but I'm not a huge fan of Guetta. It always feels too 'safe', too generic. I think this one really suffered from R1 and advert overplay at the time for me.

4. PSY - Gangnam Style
I've only recently been made aware of this and hadn't heard the track before. I understood it be something of a joke or novelty, but it's actually pretty decent.

5. Donna Summer - She Works Hard For Her Money
Not my favourite Summer song, but it's still a solid track.

6. Massive Attack - Teardrop
Absolute classic, Fraser's vocals are beautiful. I'll never forget the first time I saw the video either, blew my mind.

7. Grandmaster Flash - The Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash
This was quite a bold choice I thought, as much because of the length of the track as the style. As it happens, I quite like old-school hip hop so I enjoyed it

8. Derrick Morgan - Seven Letters
Loved it. It was gnawing at me why it seemed so familiar when I don't have anything by Derrick Morgan, but then I realised it's a Ben E. King cover. The only downside to listening to it was that it made the weather seem even worse, reggae being sunshine music and all that.

9. The Slits - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
I've always found The Slits to be a bit hit and miss, but this is definitely one of the hits. A great cover of a great song.

10. Last Shadow Puppets - My Mistakes Were Made For You
I loved the Arctic Monkeys first couple of records, but I've found myself being left a bit cold by the stuff Alex has done since. This one though I didn't mind, it has a sort of Bond/Tarantino vibe going on that I like.

11. Scott Walker - Hero Of The War
Excellent. Typical poetry from Walker.

12. Lee Hazelwood - No Train In Stockholm
Not very familiar with Hazelwood, but I really liked this. It reminded me a bit of Tim Hardin, or John Stewart (which is a good thing). Nicely chilled out.

13. Patrick Wolf - Tristan
I thought this was decent enough, but didn't grab me by the collar. It was a nice change in tone from the previous few tracks though.

14. Jacques Brel - Mathilde
I love the music, very French (of course). I get the impression if I could understand the lyrics I might appreciate it in a different way though

15. Kraftwerk - The Model
Solid gold classic.

16. The Lemonheads - The Outdoor Type
Love the Lemonheads, and this is one of my favourites by them. Excellent track.

17. Jesus And Mary Chain - Happy When It Rains
I could probably pertty much just copy and paste the previous comment. Brilliant. It's a shame as a band they couldn't stop being dickheads to each other, get their act together and keep making stuff as good as this.

18. Skream
I didn't really enjoy this on the first listen, but on the second and third I found it grew on me quite a bit. Decent.

19. Slowdive - Some Velvet Morning
Was chuffed to hear this on the mix, love Slowdive and I don't think they get as much attention as they possibly deserved. Great version of a classic.

20. Le Tigre - My, My MetroCard
Not very familiar with Le Tigre, but if all their stuff is like this I might follow them up a bit. A bit of a 60's vibe going on, married to riotgrrl. Nice.

21. Lily Allen - Nan, You're A Window Shopper
I had a bet with myself that there would either be a Madonna or Allen track on this mix. I won I don't mind Lily Allen too much really, and this is a solid pop song. Her lyrics are always pretty good fun.

22. Marina & The Diamonds - I Am Not A Robot
When it started I thought it was Feist at first! MATD are one of those bands that seem to be championed by the likes of R1 and T4 so hard that I instinctively decide without listening that I'm not going to like it, but I enjoyed this track. Shades of early Kate Bush and a really nice melody. Good end.

A great mix, and some stuff I really liked (212 especially), so cheers for that. Question - how hard was it to not include a Nicola Roberts song?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 194
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 27/9/2012 1:42:30 PM   
Rhubarb

Wow, (Guetta aside) such a positive response. I considered Nicola, but you had Paul last time, and I couldn't remember what he put on, and she was doubtlessly on his. Glad you enjoyed it though. I'll post up my thoughts on yours as soon as.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 195
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 27/9/2012 2:18:20 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I considered Nicola, but you had Paul last time, and I couldn't remember what he put on, and she was doubtlessly on his.

Sorry

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 196
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 29/9/2012 1:29:33 PM   
MonsterCat

Thanks for the CD, Rebel.

Yours is in the post as we speak.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 197
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 4/10/2012 3:56:29 PM   
Rebel scum

Your CD's turned up, MC. I'll try to give it a listen in the next day or two.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 198
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 6/10/2012 2:22:51 PM   
Rebel scum

Alrighty, given it a couple of spins. Thoughts:

1-Mogwai-Auto Rock
A lovely instrumental, I really dug the piano sections.

2-R.E.M-How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us
Ive always found R.E.M a bit hit and miss-this one was alright, but never really grabbed my attention.

3-Spoon-Written In Reverse
I really enjoyed this, it had a great bunch of guitar riffs and a catchy beat. Ill have to check more of their stuff out.

4-Sonic Youth-Sugar Kane
Me and Sonic Youth have never really got on, but this was alright. Decent solo partway through as well.

5-Ted Leo And The Pharmacists-The Mighty Sparrow
A great song, fast-paced, catchy, simple but memorable instrument work, and it doesnt outstay its welcome.

6-Foo Fighters-Ill Stick Around
Amazing song from one of their best albums.

7-Queens Of The Stone Age-Feel Good Hit Of The Summer
I really need to buy Rated R, I have two other albums by them but not this one for some reason. This track provides a compelling argument to going out and getting it it was brilliant.

8-Guided By Voices-Chasing Heather Crazy
Not bad, but it did sound like generic indie-rock type stuff. Nothing special, but a fun listen while it lasted.

9-Radiohead-Electioneering
Radioheads another one everyone thinks I should like but Im indifferent to. This song was actually pretty good though, definitely one of my favourite of the tracks Ive heard by them.

10-Stone Temple Pilots-Interstate Love Song
Purples one of my favourite albums, and this is among the best songs on it (Though I prefer Vasoline, Pretty Penny and Unglued).

11-The Smiths-Stop Me If You Think Youve Heard This One Before
One of the best Smiths songs.

12-The Velvet Underground-Im Waiting For The Man
Good song, catchy and fun to listen to, but a minute or so too long.

13-Wilco-Im The Man Who Loves You
An interesting listen, I really liked the sound and I really liked the track almost breaking down about a minute from the end.

14-Yo La Tengo-Nothing To Hide
Not that good, to be honest. Came across as a disposable album track, rather than the band at their best.

15-Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks-Senator
I liked this one, the vocals were enjoyably stream-of-consciousness-like (There must be a better word for that), and the instruments being a bit mental in the background early on and during the repeated What the Senator wants line was really interesting to listen to. Nice solo too.

16-Pavement-Range Life
Before this Id only heard Cut Your Hair by Pavement. After this, CYHs still the better song, though this was by no means bad.

17-Nirvana-Pennyroyal Tree
Nirvana are always worth a listen, even if this is one of their lesser efforts (In terms of the song and the album it came from).

18-Joy Division-Atmosphere
Great finisher, nowt wrong with a bit of Joy Division.

Overall, great mix of stuff I knew I liked, stuff I now know I like, and stuff that left me indifferent but I didnt hate. Thanks MC!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 199
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 6/10/2012 11:31:38 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

3-Spoon-Written In Reverse
I really enjoyed this, it had a great bunch of guitar riffs and a catchy beat. Ill have to check more of their stuff out.

I'm glad the CD mostly worked for you, but this part really made me smile. Yes, you really should listen to more of their stuff. Unfortunately, I believe only their last three albums are available to listen to in the UK through outlets like spotify. Which is a shame because Girls Can Tell, their third album, is their best work by a country mile.

Tomorrow I will definitely pull my finger out and listen to yours.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 7/10/2012 12:08:52 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 200
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 7/10/2012 12:40:00 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Well, unless Lucky Day emerges from that rock he's been hiding under these past 3 weeks or so, this will be the 3rd mix club in a row that I haven't received a mix back - or a review.

Might sit out the next one...

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 201
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 7/10/2012 12:53:24 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I'm facing the same problem as Qwerty, Lazarus hasn't posted since the end of August, and I've PMed him too so I think I might just post the link to the Spotify playlist on this thread and he can see it whenever.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 202
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 7/10/2012 2:00:06 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

I'm facing the same problem as Qwerty, Lazarus hasn't posted since the end of August, and I've PMed him too so I think I might just post the link to the Spotify playlist on this thread and he can see it whenever.

If all else fails, we could always pair up?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 203
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 8/10/2012 12:57:25 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

If all else fails, we could always pair up?

If it's alright with MC I don't see why not However, I can only send it via Spotify.

Post #: 204
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 8/10/2012 1:44:50 AM   
MonsterCat

Knock yourselves out. You really don't need my permission, though.

Poor old Qwerty doesn't seem to be having much luck with this mix-club business.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 205
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 8/10/2012 8:17:32 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Knock yourselves out. You really don't need my permission, though.

Fair enough So Qwerty, did you want to do this playlist swap via PM's or on the thread?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 206
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 8/10/2012 1:32:35 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Don't mind either way really, thread seems the way to go.

Noticed you're in Australia though, which causes an issue for me. Obviously sending mine from the UK would be a stupid idea, but I can't really use spotify either as there's a few tracks on my mix that aren't available there - plus it's a continuous mix about 250mb in size.

If there's a kind of file-sharing app I can find then I'll use that. If you want to use spotify to send yours then that's cool.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 207
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 8/10/2012 2:52:15 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Don't mind either way really, thread seems the way to go.

Noticed you're in Australia though, which causes an issue for me. Obviously sending mine from the UK would be a stupid idea, but I can't really use spotify either as there's a few tracks on my mix that aren't available there - plus it's a continuous mix about 250mb in size.

If there's a kind of file-sharing app I can find then I'll use that. If you want to use spotify to send yours then that's cool.

I knew the different continent issue would throw a spanner in the works eventually We could try SoundCloud perhaps?

Clicky!

Post #: 208
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 8/10/2012 2:56:39 PM   
Olaf

I'd recommend Mediafire's uploader thingy - I used it for moon's mix (along with a number of different things) and it works fairly easily. http://www.mediafire.com/software/express/tour.php

Post #: 209
RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 - 9/10/2012 2:07:45 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

That actually doesn't look too bad Olaf, cheers!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI