Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Warner Bros. Looks To Build Dark Tower

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Warner Bros. Looks To Build Dark Tower Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warner Bros. Looks To Build Dark Tower - 13/3/2012 8:19:15 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Big gamble - 13/3/2012 8:19:15 AM   
lockstockstar

This Will be a very hard movie to put together due to all of the different elements that have to be brought together to make it work, even the book was a big risk. But there were moments of greatness in each of the 7 that Stephen King wrote and Ron Howard is one of the few who could really make it work on the big screen

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
For the love of God.... - 13/3/2012 8:57:21 AM   
matt st hubbins

....keep Ron Howard away from this.....

Post #: 3
Re: For the love of God - 13/3/2012 9:36:28 AM   
ronniem

I don't understand why people keep saying Ron Howard should stay away from this...when he's the only director expressing any interest in bringing this to the screen, and considering his plans which fell through at Universal you'd have to say he's committed to making something true to the material on a grand scale. Give him a chance.

Post #: 4
No no no! - 13/3/2012 12:41:12 PM   
Heidionline

Please! Not Ron Howard (better no film at all than a terrible one!) and not just one film - how on earth can they do it justice?

Post #: 5
Special Effects....... - 13/3/2012 3:30:56 PM   
Babtash85

.....is the only reason Ron Howard wants to direct this. He over does them in every film he's ever done since he learned it was there to exploit. The workings of a puzzle in Da Vinci, the unbelieveably unbelieveable parachute in Angels and Demons (to name two other books that he ruined), the 8 year old Blue Peter inspired Lunar Modual in Apollo 13, the silver platter in Cinderella Man (but I kinda liked the breaking bones effects) I'll let splash and Willow go since they were really early effects. Can't we have Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, hell, I'd even rather have McG.

Post #: 6
I too wasn't great with RH being director... - 13/3/2012 4:07:59 PM   
criffle

but you got to admit the guy is seriously committed to the project. It's that kind of raw determination that created some of the all time great movies ahem*Star Wars*ahem

Post #: 7
Terrible miscasting - 13/3/2012 4:30:09 PM   
clairp

I've said it many times to all who know me and I'll say it again - Javier Bardem is totally wrong for this project. As much as I would love to see this amazing story brought to screen, this would really disappoint me. There is only one actor to play this part - Viggo Mortensen.

Post #: 8
Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 13/3/2012 5:14:39 PM   
Liam571

This will make an excellent series; Howard is the right man to helm it, and the story is perfect for the 21st century. Unlike most King novels, it satisfies on many levels and Howard has shown that he can handle the SFX needed.

Post #: 9
RE: Big gamble - 13/3/2012 5:55:41 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockstockstar

This Will be a very hard movie to put together due to all of the different elements that have to be brought together to make it work, even the book was a big risk. But there were moments of greatness in each of the 7 that Stephen King wrote and Ron Howard is one of the few who could really make it work on the big screen

Really? Ron Howard possess a unique gift that makes him specially qualified for this? He is a middle of the road director without any personal style or flair. I am curious what you see in him...

(in reply to lockstockstar)
Post #: 10
RE: Big gamble - 13/3/2012 7:33:30 PM   
Babtash85

He sees a director that has had some success, but has yet to do a saga or trilogy of some kind. So Ron Howard is going to be the one to bring the beautiful visuals of a (spoiler) Gunslinger with only 2 fingers, doda-chock's, floating doors, 15 foot ancient robots, a schizophrenic with no legs who eats toads in her dreams, roont twins, the talking bumbler Oy, the freaky train journey driven by trans the mono, the claustrophobic sewer kidnap, the list just goes on and on. I'm only at Volume 6, but the visuals Stephen King manages to create simply can't be done by Ron Howard. He's going to ruin it. Peter Jackson would be my number 1, but I don't fancy him doing the start of the story. What about multipule directers? One for each film? Michael Mann for the start, Peter Jackson for the middle, and I haven't a clue for the end as I'm not there yet. Ron Howard could sell the popcorn if he really wants to contribute.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 11
Rupert Wyatt - 13/3/2012 8:06:36 PM   
bnicholson50

I second the motion to oust Ron Howard. Peter Jackson is a bit obvious though. My own personal preference would be Rupert Wyatt. He's got box office mojo, proven ability for character driven pieces, handling action and SFX

Post #: 12
I second that motion - 13/3/2012 8:21:18 PM   
Varkko Stush

Viggo for Roland !

Post #: 13
RE: I second that motion - 13/3/2012 10:16:28 PM   
anakin solo

I'm against the idea of this being made into a movie/tv series because even though i enjoyed the stories in 1-5 of the dark tower books the ending of the final one had been ended rather badly.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to Varkko Stush)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Warner Bros. Looks To Build Dark Tower Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI