Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gone Before its Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Gone Before its Time Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gone Before its Time - 13/3/2012 1:22:48 PM   
rburnett

So Say we All to 'Caprica' the spin off of the re-imagined 'Battlestar' Universe . Executive producer Ronald D Moore's show was a tantilising look at the most famous of the 12 World's Colonies of Man 'Caprica ' home of the future Willam Adama (Battlestar Commander) with his equallly famous 'Battlestar' ,The Galactica. Bring on the webisodes off 'Blood n' Chrome ' set during the first cylon war.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
best of british.. - 13/3/2012 2:02:01 PM   
vicandbob

seems like an awful lot of american shows, but what about us brits, we've had it just as tough..
whatever happened to the excellent "Operation Good Guys".. the funniest fly on the wall mockumentry since spinal tap.. it pisses all over the office.. only manage a couple of series and a xmas special.

Post #: 62
best of british.. - 13/3/2012 2:30:25 PM   
vicandbob

seems like an awful lot of american shows, but what about us brits, we've had it just as tough..
whatever happened to the excellent "Operation Good Guys".. the funniest fly on the wall mockumentry since spinal tap.. it pisses all over the office.. only manage a couple of series and a xmas special.

Post #: 63
Better off Ted, anyone? - 13/3/2012 2:44:08 PM   
maleachi

Maybe the best comedy series of late, and definitely cancelled way too early. Never seen a brilliant take on corporate America like this one, and especially the short spots in between were incredibly funny. Veridian Dynamics.. It's a thing. Go. Bring. It. Back.

Post #: 64
Firefly - 13/3/2012 4:20:25 PM   
AquaDragon2K

Cancelled all to soon. Thank goodness for the boxset and Serenity!

Post #: 65
Twin Peaks? - 13/3/2012 4:30:57 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Without Twin Peaks, this list has no credibility.

Post #: 66
Rome - 13/3/2012 5:34:38 PM   
achenar

you are a british magazine, right?
so I don't understand how you can not write that Rome was coproduced by the BBC!!!!
maaaaan

Post #: 67
RE: Rome - 13/3/2012 7:09:25 PM   
evilzedar

Hmm, maybe I've been living under a rock, but the only one of these series I have ever seen is Farscape...

(in reply to achenar)
Post #: 68
Flashforward? - 13/3/2012 8:10:59 PM   
adam250579

how could you not include 'the new lost' - Flashforward an awesome show cancelled after 1 season this really neaded to run for at least 5 seasons to open up the complex plot but was cancelled after a great cliffhanger. also american gothic with gary cole!!

Post #: 69
Yay! Seen most of them. - 13/3/2012 8:35:26 PM   
dunnee5225

I agree with all of these! But I always though life, the Damien lewis cop show deserved more than 2 seasons.

Post #: 70
chicago code - 13/3/2012 8:53:35 PM   
SHANEIZOID

where the Chicago Code in this list? A wonderful "much more than a cop show" cop show from the creater of the Shield. I couldn't believe this was cancelled after only one season. Wonderful acting and characters and they were only scratching the surface of the political intrigue when it ended.

Post #: 71
an alternative view.... - 13/3/2012 9:03:24 PM   
DanTDavies

how about a list of shows that should have been cancelled but haven't. Top of the list by a lightyear and a half is the Simpsons which should have been cancelled after season 8 [if not sooner] and Friends and Sex and the City, both of which should have been cancelled after the first episode.... :D

(in reply to TheMovieAddict101)
Post #: 72
Ehhh - 13/3/2012 10:57:52 PM   
Paulieman

Empire! 2 major shows should be on this list...
Flashforward and The Event
For me, two really good and entertaining shows. I got so damn pissed when they got cancelled, made no sense at all.
I really hope they can do what they did for Firefly, and make a spin off movie for Flashforward and The Event, lasting at least 2 hours.

Post #: 73
aye! - 13/3/2012 10:59:31 PM   
Paulieman

agree dunnnee5225.
Life was a great show, suck that one was off too=(

Post #: 74
- 14/3/2012 1:15:15 AM   
deathbat6661

Agree with so many of these. TV execs are bastards. I actually recently watched The Unusuals as well, brilliant little cop comedy-drama type show, which only got ten episodes for some ridiculous reason.

Post #: 75
- 14/3/2012 1:24:35 AM   
charcol

Did anyone ever see The 10th Kingdom on SkyOne? I was DYING for another series of that, it was such a good show and had loads of material to work with as fairytales are always fun to rework.

Gotta agree with a few of these: Studio 60 was amazing, such a clever show! As was Arrested Development. And Firefly and Farscape definitely kept me entertained through my teen years. Glad to see a lot of love on the forum for Reaper, I cannot believe that it got cancelled, definitely needs another couple of episodes at least to wrap things up. Also, possibly the biggest disappointment being that there are so few episodes of Fawlty Towers.

Still, sometimes having a show stop production in it's hay-day means it is consistently good and doesn't fall foul of getting ridiculous or badly written like some other shows!

Post #: 76
What about... - 14/3/2012 2:51:54 AM   
FoxDhoj

...Reno 911! One of the funniest comedies I've ever seen! The cast did change-up a bit towards the end, but I'm sure they could write them back in for another series or two!

Also Bored To Death - criminally cut, and very recently so! Schwartzman x Danson x Galifianakis = a career high for all 3 of them.

And again, The Peter Serafinowicz Show should get a mention just because it needs more series' and the BBC should know it! If not, Channel 4 would surely pick it up? Same goes for Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, if there's room for more.

Post #: 77
You forgot... - 14/3/2012 9:05:29 AM   
jorarl

Stargate Universe! The best of all the Stargate series and where the hell was Star Trek?

Post #: 78
RE: From my childhood et al - 14/3/2012 12:29:33 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanTDavies

Tripods - always wanted to know how that ended
Doctor Who - with Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor. Wipes the floor with David Tennant
Fawlty Towers - uniquely hilarious
Blakes 7- they all DIED!?!?!?!?!
Angel - the person who decided to cancel Angel should be burned alive. Twice.
Samurai Jack - best. Cartoon. Ever.

Dan - to see how Tripods ended, read the books by John Christopher; specifically you want 'The Pool Of Fire' as this would've been the basis for the 3rd series had the BBC continued. This fan website also has some details on the proposed production:

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/tripage/adapt3.html

On a wider note, this topic proves the strength and weakness of US TV formatting. For the dream of syndication, everyone wants to run for at least 5 years to achieve this, meaning that shows can't give up all of their secrets too quickly. That's fine if it's something like Lost that's able to meander on for ever, but if a show does get cancelled, then inevitably the huge story arcs that have been building are left totally unresolved (especially with sci-fi / fantasy shows). Lost, weirdly, demonstrates another phenomenon, one quite rare. No matter what anyone maintains, I'm still convinced that they were making it up as they went along - so this is the ultimate high concept show with a premise too thin to spread out across multiple seasons.

Alcatraz fans: don't get too attached. US ratings have halved since the pilot was broadcast in January.

On a personal note, Terra Nova deserved another chance. The later episodes were superb when the 18 (count 'em!) producers finally decided to focus more on action and less on the nerd daughter's inability to complete her homework!

(in reply to DanTDavies)
Post #: 79
Agree with the list... - 14/3/2012 12:33:18 PM   
ronniem

Flashforward deserved to keep going, such a clever series with engaging characters and a solid cast. Damian Lewis's cop drama 'Life' was also quality TV cut short prematurely. He's good in anything, that guy, a true 27%er

Post #: 80
RE: Agree with the list... - 14/3/2012 12:52:50 PM   
BelfastBoy

US TV successes tend to be lowest common denominator stuff, inoffensive and bland rather than edgy. Frasier may have been consistently smartly written but it was hardly controversial, was it? Everybody Loves Raymond ran forever and it's utterly dire, comedy by committee. I honestly don't understand how the likes of CSI, NCIS, Law & Order etc last so long, when they're so utterly formulaic and charmless. But what do I know? Jerry Bruckheimer and Dick Wolf rule the airwaves! Shows like Arrested Development are way too quirky to ever succeed on US TV for any length of time, because the ratings just aren't there.

Shoot me now though, because I'm going to say a brave, possibly stupid, thing. I don't find Seinfeld funny at all, either his standup skits or the actual show. It ran for, what, nine seasons? I just don't get it at all. I've tried really hard, but I just don't find it funny.

(in reply to ronniem)
Post #: 81
Also gone, but not forgotten! - 14/3/2012 12:56:25 PM   
kingmob1000

Brimstone, Eli Stone and The Unit (where they all had stones!). Classics, one and all. I also lament the passing of Human Target, but I realise I may be in a minority there.

Post #: 82
RE: Also gone, but not forgotten! - 14/3/2012 1:14:55 PM   
Wild about Wilder

No Reaper, Dark Skys or Dark Angel ???

(in reply to kingmob1000)
Post #: 83
agree, but what about.... - 14/3/2012 1:44:31 PM   
stucker

carnivale? loved that show and that was left in the doldrums.

Post #: 84
Contributing - 14/3/2012 4:07:08 PM   
R W

Whilst many of us wished that Firefly kept going, if not because of those dopes of Fox, but there are 14 episodes out of that show that Mr Whedon should be proud of, and special praise to him for making a masterpiece of a film.

As for other shows that should've got a mention, I want to say raise the flag for The Spectacular Spider-Man, the best cartoon about everyone's favourite wall-crawler.

Post #: 85
- 14/3/2012 5:46:47 PM   
Eomer_King

And yet shit like One Tree Hill and 90120 continues to breath.

Post #: 86
- 14/3/2012 5:51:03 PM   
Eomer_King

Oh and one only has to watch an NFL game on a CBS (available through the NFL's website before I come across as a user of illegal material) to see the absolute rubbish that counts as TV these days: NCIS, NCIS: LA, The Mentalist, Person of Interest, Unforgettable, countless CSI variations, The Good Wife... Urgh. Absolute shite.

Post #: 87
- 14/3/2012 5:52:05 PM   
Eomer_King

I agree with the Terra Nova cancellation by the way. One of the most terrible things I've seen on TV in quite some time.

Post #: 88
- 14/3/2012 6:02:17 PM   
Eomer_King

I see Faling Skies still exists. Horrible, horrible show.

Post #: 89
Blade...only 1 season...WTF? - 14/3/2012 8:44:18 PM   
darkhart

Had it all going on.. and the storyline just got better and better.. and that was it.. 1 season.. now that really bites!!! I mean c'mon, when there are so many rubbish series that keep airing.. (vampire diaries.. please!!!????).. maybe a company like Starz should take on a reboot and give us a more visceral x-rated series...pleeeeeease!

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Gone Before its Time Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI