Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

21 Jump Street

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 21 Jump Street Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
21 Jump Street - 12/3/2012 1:57:24 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
21 Jump Street - 12/3/2012 1:57:24 AM   
azzman1984

I watched 21 Jump Street at a screening in Birmingham last Tuesday and i have to say it is the funnest movie of the year so far, the performances between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were really good and they both had real on screen chemistry but Tatum really surprised me with his great comedic timing and by far the best performance of his career so far, no joke!! But for me the real star of the movie is Ice Cube, every time he was on screen coming out with his lines got the biggest laughs and when u's watch the film u can tell he's having a blast when he says his lines.

Anyways i would seriously highly recommend everyone should go and see 21 Jump Street when it comes out on Friday becuase not just it has big laugh out moments, big action but most of all it has a heart that a lot of comedy films are lacking these days so check out 21 Jump Street.

< Message edited by azzman1984 -- 12/3/2012 2:00:50 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Channing Tatum - he's nearly 32 for pity's sake! - 12/3/2012 4:08:05 PM   
gb901

Empire hold your head in shame for giving this 4 stars!

Post #: 3
RE: Channing Tatum - he's nearly 32 for pity's sake! - 12/3/2012 4:33:39 PM   
7eke

I'm guessing by your detailed analysis that you haven't seen it then.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. - Ron Burgundy

(in reply to gb901)
Post #: 4
RE: 21 Jump Street - 13/3/2012 11:54:25 AM   
Adam James

I went to see this last week when I was suffering from a really horrible cold and have to say that this perked me right up.

A part from it being slightly over-long, there are some very funny moments throughout.

Definitely worth a punt if you're struggling to find something to watch at the cinema.

3 Stars.

Post #: 5
RE: 21 Jump Street - 17/3/2012 2:01:58 AM   
Rgirvan44

This is a great comedy and Tatum is amazing. I am now sold on him as an actor!

Four big stars!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Adam James)
Post #: 6
RE: 21 Jump Street - 17/3/2012 10:23:16 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard in the cinema, "I will beat your dick off !..... With two hands !!

Couldn't agree more about Tatum, the guy was hilarious.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
- 17/3/2012 11:04:39 PM   
Whistler

Wickedly funny stuff. The whole audience was belly laughing the whole way through. The surprise cameo was also AMAZEBALLS, so glad they didn't ruin it in the trailer.

Post #: 8
Comedy-action rescued. - 18/3/2012 9:48:07 PM   
thebackseatdirector

The only three minutes of the film that I wasn't laughing was the three minutes of jokes in the trailer, and mercifully most of these are dispatched within the first ten minutes; and amazingly, they don't even come close to the funniest. For a pure giggle riot, this is totally five star. Possibly not on the second viewing, though, but who cares, I just loved it.
----

< Message edited by elab49 -- 31/3/2012 6:18:31 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: 21 Jump Street - 19/3/2012 11:06:52 AM   
yazoo88

I expected this to be one of those films where all the funny parts were featured in the advert, I was very wrong. It was hilarious from start to finish, and the laughter was shared by everyone in the cinema. Refreshingly different and about time a decent comedy made its way to the big screen, hadn't laughed this much since Hangover 2!

Post #: 10
RE: 21 Jump Street - 19/3/2012 2:04:18 PM   
Filmfan 2

I enjoyed it a lot. A genuinely funny film where most of the best jokes aren't ruined in the trailer (and having viewed the film, some of the jokes in the trailer were from different takes or deliberately set-up so that they were different in the final cut, which was a pleasant surprise). Recommended.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to yazoo88)
Post #: 11
RE: 21 Jump Street - 19/3/2012 2:26:44 PM   
yazoo88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

I enjoyed it a lot. A genuinely funny film where most of the best jokes aren't ruined in the trailer (and having viewed the film, some of the jokes in the trailer were from different takes or deliberately set-up so that they were different in the final cut, which was a pleasant surprise). Recommended.

I noticed that too, the bit where he smashes in the windscreen doesn't feature in the final cut which suprised me!

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 12
Brilliant. - 19/3/2012 10:31:53 PM   
Coyleone

21 Jump Street was really great. I was very surprised with how good it was. From the moment they first go undercover in the school it's pretty laugh out loud stuff right to the end. This feels weird typing, but Tatum was hilarious and the easy highlight of the movie, and not just his character and the way it was written but his delivery as well, he came off as naturally funny. Jonah was really good too and this was probably his best film (excluding Moneyball) since Superbad, and I actually enjoyed this more than Superbad. So yeah, if you like comedys this is seriously worth watching and it has some good action too. My favourite comedy film for a long time. Oh and there is also a ridiculous cameo near the end that was made even better by the fact I had no idea it was going to happen.

Post #: 13
21 Jump Street Review - 21/3/2012 1:44:47 PM   
DaleLawson

21 Jump Street is better than I thought it would be, but is not at the same comedic level as other hits like Superbad or The Hangover (Dir. Todd Philips, 2009). This film utilizes many forms of comedy, most probably to attract as bigger audience as possible; which is has. The acting is as it should be in a comedy film, apart from a cameo near the end which was mind-blowingly fantastic. 21 Jump Street has been a success as it has stuck to what people between the ages of 15-25 enjoy, which includes me. It was not the funniest film I have ever seen, but it was certainly not the least funny either.

Post #: 14
RE: 21 Jump Street Review - 21/3/2012 7:29:46 PM   
Stillwater

I went to see this last night and was pleasantly surprised by how funny it was. Channing Tatum was very good.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to DaleLawson)
Post #: 15
AWESOME COMEDY!!!! - 21/3/2012 9:07:48 PM   
Ramone87

I was so pleasantly suprised by this pretty awesome comedy!! The gags come quick and fast as two cops (Hill and Tatum)
go undercover posing as teenagers to bring down a drug ring in High School.

It's without doubt one of the best High-School comedies to emerge in years as Hill and Tatum create great comedic chemistry as they try and iffiltrate thier way through nerds, jocks, goths, emos and the 'in kids' to get the leads and bring the drug ring to justice. What shines in this comedy is it's strong
comedic characters and the wacky situations they get in!

We have everything from outrageous party antics, an absolutey hilarious sequence involving the effects of the fictitous deadly drug, a bonkers chase and climatic final showdown involving such an odd-ball bunch of characters in a witty exchange of gunfire and awesome one liners.

But what's so refreshing is that apart from the slap-stick humour there are some greatly observed gags, involving the culture shock as our two cops return to a school where one was a geek and the other a popular jock. They now have to cope with the role reversal in modern era High-School so brilliantly portrayed through odd-ball teachers and culturely aware and ultra smart and sensitive kids.

Also an hilarious trun from Icecube as their foul mouthed chief of police, spewing crazy lines at every opportunity. So please do go and see this film, either on your own or with your mates, it's truly a great comedy to equal and surpass, Hangover and Superbad!!

Go see it!!

Post #: 16
Very Surprised - 21/3/2012 9:12:05 PM   
Nate_001

The trailer makes this out to be pretty lame, but it's actually pretty awesome and the gags are fantastic. Very pleased to see a lot of people here were surprised at how good it it.

Post #: 17
RE: Very Surprised - 22/3/2012 11:55:26 AM   
Greggieboy

Im very surprised it got 4 stars in Empire. It was quite good, nothing original (in plot and tone it is very similar to Will Ferells 'The Other Guys') but the best jokes are in the first 30 minutes. It is only a bit funnier than The Other Guys.

I have to disagree with everyone about the surprise cameo. Im sick to death of surprise cameos in these kinds of comedies. At least this time the actor was playing a part and not himself. It stoped the film dead and took 5 minutes to fully get back on track, really annoying.

A sequel or spin off sitcom might be better though.

Last Few Films Seen:Captain America;77/100 Harry Potter 7b; 85/100 Super 8; 74/100 X Men;First Class;76/100Fututre Films: Cowboys & Aliens, ROTPOTA, Cars 2, , Bridesmaids (at some point)

(in reply to Nate_001)
Post #: 18
RE: repeat street - 22/3/2012 1:57:28 PM   
spamandham

Surprisingly less terrible than expected, this derivative comedy just about meets the requirements to being watchable. I'd give it about 52%

Post #: 19
Silly fun that definitely works - 23/3/2012 1:24:44 PM   
Filmmuscle

I went to this film not expecting much but was very surprised with how silly and yet funny it was. Well written and comically well acted. It lacks a lot of depth but you leave feeling it deserves nothing but a good rating.

Post #: 20
RE: Silly fun that definitely works - 23/3/2012 2:16:26 PM   
mackey

Thought it was initially quite funny but ran out of steam long before the end. Decent entertainment but that's about it really.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Filmmuscle)
Post #: 21
RE: Silly fun that definitely works - 24/3/2012 11:21:15 PM   
jcthefirst

Funniest thing I've seen in absolutely ages.

Tatum tripping balls was the highlight. Laughed so much I was nearly sick.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 22
RE: Silly fun that definitely works - 25/3/2012 9:20:00 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I'll echo everyone else in this being one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time, I'd say the last film anywhere near as funny (bar The Muppets) was probably Bridesmaids or Horrible Bosses, thankfully there's American Pie and The Pirates coming up also so should be a good year for funny... but I enjoyed every second of this, from the great leads to supporting roles like the great Chris Parnell and even familar faces like the one from Bridesmaids and Nick from New Girl, and of course the cameo but that works best as a surprise it was that good!

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 23
Seen the trailer, seen the movie - 28/3/2012 10:41:24 PM   
BatSpider

Man, even Ice Cube was lame in this. Shame, this had the potential to be good, but it just sucks. Even with a comedy, it helps if you give a shit about what's going on. Maybe my sense of humour disappeared before the movie even started with the new American Pie trailer.

Post #: 24
RE: Seen the trailer, seen the movie - 29/3/2012 2:51:17 PM   
nhassell

Great film. Much funnier than I was expecting.

The bit where Hill and Tatum are on that drug at the school had me in stiches.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 25
one of the films of the year - 1/4/2012 11:03:47 PM   
tysmuse

terrific. this is the year of the Tatum

Post #: 26
RE: 21 Jump Street - 2/4/2012 10:04:24 AM   
Timon

"Fuck you, Science!"

Who would have thought Channing Tatum was a comic genius?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 27
RE: 21 Jump Street - 3/5/2012 5:20:55 PM   
Phubbs

21 Jump Street (2012)

Never saw the original TV series as it wasn't really on UK TV much as I recall so I'm unable to really comment on comparisons, but after reading up it does seem like this comedy is relatively close to the source material.

Basically some young looking dudes are put into a local high school to crack down on a drugs ring, the reason they are used for the case? they are young looking, pretty much the same deal as the TV show. Of course this film is akin to older films 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and 'Starsky n Hutch' in the sense that it mocks the original source and teen/cop flicks in general.

So in a spoof type way this is quite good, I found myself enjoying the typical piss taking humour as the two leads start off in high school themselves and move up into the police force together. You know what kind of gags and visual stunts to expect, a blend of 'American Pie' and 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' with a hint of 'Naked Gun'...and it works just fine.

For me the film started to wane from around the midway point though as the guys get emotionally attached to people they meet in the school (very predictably) and things start to get a bit mushy. You know whats gonna happen in the end, its very formulaic and cliched but it does put a smile on your face for sure. I've heard a sequel is planned but I really don't think that is necessary as this barely keeps its head above water if we are honest. I did like the two cameos in the finale though, nice touch.

Post #: 28
RE: 21 Jump Street - 3/5/2012 5:30:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Never saw the original TV series as it wasn't really on UK TV much as I recall so I'm unable to really comment on comparisons, but after reading up it does seem like this comedy is relatively close to the source material.

It was on Sky One in the early 90s but not sure if it was on any other channels before then. Probably not. I have watched some of season one recently and it is actually not a bad show. It's not a comedy but it's a quite good action drama type show.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 3/5/2012 5:31:23 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 29
F*ck you, Glee! - 28/6/2012 3:08:39 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Incredible. Haven't laughed like that at a movie in quite some time. Tatum really surprised me. One of the best movies of the year.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 21 Jump Street Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI